PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday baseball thoughts

MsStateBaseball
02-24-2015, 09:57 PM
Jesse McCord got lots better tonight. His demeanor during the interview says a lot. He means business. He is focused. He wants perfection and I love that. Butch said he could be freshman all-american and I believe him.

Spruill still struggles at the plate but I think when he gets "it" he will be good.

We have two great catchers, Lovelady and Collins, best 1 2 punch in decades.

Ridley is a gamer. Still need to see him versus SEC pitching but remember he hasn't played 56 games in a spring and Holland has, sec is a big grind.

Saturday is the day you will see Michael Smith come out, bet he has a good day. Wouldn't doubt Collins gets a pinch hit.

Drugdog
02-24-2015, 10:03 PM
Great info. Keep bringing it.

messageboardsuperhero
02-24-2015, 10:10 PM
We've been solid so far, but this team has not reached its potential. Not even close.

Think about it- John Holland is still struggling, but I really think he will get going. Wes Rea, Michael Smith, and Gavin Collins have about 10 total ABs between them. Vance Tatum has only made one start. Paul Young hasn't even made an appearance yet. I'm not sure what our record will end up looking like against better competition, but we are going to be a much better team at the end of the year than we are right now.

MSUDawg4Life
02-24-2015, 10:16 PM
We've been solid so far, but this team has not reached its potential. Not even close.

Think about it- John Holland is still struggling, but I really think he will get going. Wes Rea, Michael Smith, and Gavin Collins have about 10 total ABs between them. Vance Tatum has only made one start. Paul Young hasn't even made an appearance yet. I'm not sure what our record will end up looking like against better competition, but we are going to be a much better team at the end of the year than we are right now.

Agreed.

That's why I think fans should just relax and let Cohen do his thing.

MsStateBaseball
02-24-2015, 10:22 PM
Watch when it warms up.

Watch when we have everyone healthy.

Watch when we improve, we always do.

Watch when these guys get more ABs, get more innings pitched.

The sheer talent will come through and you will see. Leaps ahead of last year.

I seen it dawg
02-24-2015, 10:24 PM
I like the emotion of this team. They are excited about playing.

bulldogcountry1
02-24-2015, 10:27 PM
I'm interested in seeing what happens when everyone is healthy. A lot of guys have made a strong case for a starting spot, but there just won't be enough to go around.

I have to think Holland will eventually pick it the pace, offensively, but he has to be one of the odd men out at this point. I hope he can play third.

As for the outfield, Robson is locked in, and Smith probably is too. That leaves Brown and Vickerson, who are both doing well, and Humpreys, who is still trying to figure it out. 5 guys, 3 spots.

I like having these problems.

Todd4State
02-24-2015, 11:13 PM
We have a big test this weekend. The biggest thing is sorting out the rotation. That'so going to happen over the next two weeks, and I hope they give Hudson a chance to be in it. Really, it should be between Hudson, Sexton, Tatum, and Laster as far as the last spot goes. Preston is safe. McCord pitched better, but his command isn't quite there yet. He will be good though- he just needs time to develop.

I think Collins will pinch hit some this weekend- and may DH. Wes and Smith should be ready to go. Paul Young might be ready to pitch a limited amount in the next two weeks- and very possibly as soon as this weekend. He won't be rushed back though. It will take those guys a few games to get back in the groove, but they will be fine.

Holland may be pressing because Gridley is kicking ass.

trob115
02-24-2015, 11:20 PM
I still think Reynolds will come around for us. I will be willing to bet he wins the job outright at 3rd. He's been pressing at the plate, but he's hit everywhere he's been.

I'm really ready for Paul Young to pitch . He could be our X factor out of the bullpen. I think this team has potential to go all the way.

Homedawg
02-24-2015, 11:33 PM
The fact that we went an entire weekend wo Hudson pitching says a lot. He's got to earn butch's confidence. And it's clear that he's a long way from that. Woodruff to a degree, but at least woodruff had a good fall. Hudson never has. I'm not giving up on him, it's too early, but you are counting on him a good bit for a guy that isn't in the picture at this point.

Todd4State
02-24-2015, 11:49 PM
Cohen mentioned Hudson as a potential weekend guy in the offseason but Hudson had a back injury that kept him out for much of the fall. He may not start this year, but I think they should give him a look.

bulldogcountry1
02-25-2015, 08:34 AM
I think Hudson not pitching says more about his health than performance. He's only got two one inning apprearances, and he's done okay. It's not like he's in the doghouse for for what he's done in the games. There has to be another reason for him not pitching more. He could be another guy that Cohen is holding out for warmer weather.

SaltyDawg
02-25-2015, 09:13 AM
Hudson has 2 innings pitched on the year - I don't think he's in the rotation discussion at this point.

Paul Young is starting to really throw again and will be back for SEC play.

RBritt
02-25-2015, 09:34 AM
Doesn't Arizona have some guys that are hurt?

preachermatt83
02-25-2015, 02:01 PM
I still think Reynolds will come around for us. I will be willing to bet he wins the job outright at 3rd. He's been pressing at the plate, but he's hit everywhere he's been.

I'm really ready for Paul Young to pitch . He could be our X factor out of the bullpen. I think this team has potential to go all the way.

Holland hopes your wrong because if not then he's the odd man out. Gridley will start in the infield either at 3rd or 2nd. He ain't leaving the lineup anytime soon... If he does someone needs their head examined.

Todd4State
02-25-2015, 05:42 PM
Doesn't Arizona have some guys that are hurt?

One of their pitchers is out.