PDA

View Full Version : 42 wins?

preachermatt83
02-24-2015, 01:49 PM
Could we get to 42 regular season wins.. I honestly see 42 there. That is if we can manage to only lose 2 Non-Conference games. I know anything can happen but im counting on only losing 2 non conference games. Our non-conference in mid week during sec play is very very beatable. I see us with 19 SEC wins. I know its a stretch but if Collins, Rea, and smith all are healthy and our pitching holds up I can see us doing it.. Next question.. Does 42 wins with 19 sec wins make us a national seed?

ShotgunDawg
02-24-2015, 01:58 PM
I don't think we have the pitching for that. We have one of the least talented starting staffs in the SEC West.

We have a chance to have a nice team, but I don't believe we have the fire power on the mound to be a contender this year.

If we get get all or most of the pitchers that signed in this recruiting class on campus, then we will have the right mix.

Todd4State
02-24-2015, 02:09 PM
I think that going to be tough, but it's also realistic. Kind of depends on how we do against Arizona as far as only having two losses plus Western Kentucky is respectable as well. Ole Miss in the Governor's Cup is roughly 50/50 odds and then the other midweek neutral/road games I'd handicap at 75/25 in our favor based on early returns.

It's really too soon to know definitively, but because of what our SOS is probably going to look like, I think the key is to not have any bad losses and we need to at least split with Arizona and we could afford to lose to Ole Miss but we need to sweep Western Kentucky, and win at a minimum two of three against South Alabama, Memphis, and USM. Sweeping Arizona and beating Ole Miss would give us a lot more wiggle room. So, at this point it's fluid. Losing to Alcorn or Pine Bluff would kill us.

If we finish top three in the SEC we'll be in the duscussion for a national seed unless we mess up some OOC games.

So, big weekend for us coming up.

Todd4State
02-24-2015, 02:13 PM
I don't think we have the pitching for that. We have one of the least talented starting staffs in the SEC West.

We have a chance to have a nice team, but I don't believe we have the fire power on the mound to be a contender this year.

If we get get all or most of the pitchers that signed in this recruiting class on campus, then we will have the right mix.

Hence why I have been harping about our starting pitching and the need for a young pitcher to step up. (Tatum?) If you look at the teams that win National Championships, they all have at least two elite starters.

messageboardsuperhero
02-24-2015, 02:32 PM
So I take it you're backing off that ludicrous "30 wins at best" prediction from a few months back?

To answer your question, no I don't think we get to 42 in the regular season. But yes if we did do that, it would likely at least put us firmly in the discussion for a national seed- depending on how our SOS ends up.

chef dixon
02-24-2015, 02:42 PM

Cohen still hasn't made anyone a believer in his pitching philosophy I see, which is pretty funny considering his enormous success so far.

Jacksondevildog
02-24-2015, 02:46 PM
I need a larger sample size from our pitching staff before I can say that this team can host or be in the national seed discussion. We are definitely talented and deep, but pitching is still a question mark.

maroonmania
02-24-2015, 03:08 PM
We have one of the least talented starting staffs in the SEC West.

I'm not sure if that is accurate or not. May be, but I don't think you can make that statement as a matter of fact just yet. Brown, Laster, Sexton and Tatum could absolutely give us 3 dependable starters if things click right. Possibly even McCord could get in the mix. No, none of them have a 95+ mph fastball but they can still potentially be very effective starters.

smootness
02-24-2015, 04:45 PM
Whose staff, outside of LSU, is clearly better or more talented than ours?

Jacksondevildog
02-24-2015, 04:49 PM
Vanderbilt and Florida.

smootness
02-24-2015, 04:55 PM
Vanderbilt and Florida.

Neither of whom is in the West.

And while you can probably say Florida's staff is more naturally talented than ours, they basically have Logan Shore and nobody else who has proven anything.

I definitely think that between Brown, Tatum, Laster, Sexton, and McCord we can find 3 very good starting pitchers. May not happen, but all of those guys have the potential to do that.

messageboardsuperhero
02-24-2015, 05:07 PM
If Preston Brown can stay healthy and Vance Tatum gives us what he did in his final three innings on Sunday, I'll feel pretty damn good about our rotation. It would probably be the most balanced top-to-bottom of the Cohen era. That would also finally take pressure off the bullpen- which would make them much better as well.

Ralph
02-24-2015, 08:22 PM
I think it's happening earlier at State, but I think over the next 5-7 years we'll see less importance placed on starting pitching and pitchers will just throw certain # of pitches, prob 3-5 innings worth or maybe less. It'll be more about quick turnaround between rest days and quality over quantity of innings.

Todd4State
02-24-2015, 08:26 PM
I know I change daily on this- but I'm leaning now towards Preston, Tatum, and.....Dakota Hudson as our rotation. Let Sexton be the midweek guy unless Paul Young shows out which isn't out of the realm of possibility. Move Laster to the pen with Ross, Daniel Brown, Fitts, and Houston. I would try starting Dakota this weekend against Samford and see how it goes.

preachermatt83
02-24-2015, 10:18 PM
I know I change daily on this- but I'm leaning now towards Preston, Tatum, and.....Dakota Hudson as our rotation. Let Sexton be the midweek guy unless Paul Young shows out which isn't out of the realm of possibility. Move Laster to the pen with Ross, Daniel Brown, Fitts, and Houston. I would try starting Dakota this weekend against Samford and see how it goes.

I tend to agree with you on Hudson. I would use McCord as the midweek guy though and have both sexton and tatum in the pen. You know ppl are going to say we are crazy for saying this but I think you are right on the money about Hudson.l

preachermatt83
02-24-2015, 10:19 PM
I tend to agree with you on Hudson. I would use McCord as the midweek guy though and have both sexton and tatum in the pen. You know ppl are going to say we are crazy for saying this but I think you are right on the money about Hudson.l

Not tatum... LASTER... Tatum Friday night guy.

Smitty
02-25-2015, 12:31 AM
This weekend will be a nice showcase for our arms...
I think if league play began tomorrow Ross would be a SP.