PDA

View Full Version : This Week's Bourbon Edition - Not Bourbon

SapperDawg
02-23-2015, 08:18 PM
In previous versions I have extolled the greatness of Redbreast Irish Whiskey, and I will add to that a bit here. I also want to detail my journey into the confusing, and some times un-tasty, world of scotch.

I recently was able to taste the Redbreast 15 y/o against the Redbreast 12 y/o to develop some additional thoughts on this fine Irish Whiskey. The 15 has a distinct butterscotch nose, but is still as smooth as the 12 or 21. The mouthfeel of the 15 starts to pick up the silkiness of the 21. An 18 y/o would really fill in the gap here, but as it stands, the 15 is a great purchase as well. If I had to spend on only one, however, the 12 y/o would be it.

I started my scotch journey about two years ago, and have to say, until recently it was all swings and misses. The Balvenie 12 y/o single barrel, Laphroaig 10 y/o, Glenlivet 12, Hibiki 12. None of these hit my palate correctly enough to make me want to take a second sip, must less a second glass. That changed today with Glenfiddich 15.

I have read where the Glenfiddich 15 is the bourbon drinkers scotch, and will verify this to be true. There was nothing about this dram that made me want to put it down, or not have a second sip. I plan on getting further into this over the course of the week, but if you are a bourbon guy that hates scotch - this is your huckleberry.

BeastMan
02-23-2015, 09:05 PM
Awesome work as usual and thanks for sharing. I'll add that I ate at the Manship in Jxn on Saturday and they have a whiskey/bourbon/rye list with 350+ options. For Jxn it's the real deal

Political Hack
02-23-2015, 09:16 PM
try the Glenn Morangie. it's aged in Makers barrels. I transitioned to single malt because of Morangie. And since I have developed a taste for Laphroaig, Macallan, Fiddich, livet, etc... I certainly like more than others, but I am 110% pro single malt over bourbon these days.

Bourbon is a mixer. Single Malts are meant for rocks or neat. It's a different level of liquor.

Bullmutt
02-24-2015, 02:54 PM
Sapper, have you tried a Lagavulin yet? It's still the best scotch I've ever had, after 20+ years as a scotch drinker. You do have to have a pallet for smoke/peat to truly enjoy it, though- as with all the Islays.

SapperDawg
02-25-2015, 03:08 PM
Bull - I have not. My only experience with the Islays has been with Laphroaig, and after one sip I cant take any more of the smoke. I imagine I will come around at some point, much as we all came around from Jack/Beam and coke, but the scotch taste has been a tough one for me to conquer thus far.

I really want to like it, as you can get a much older scotch for much less than you can get in any other whiskey, and I enjoy the complexities that come with age.

Political Hack
02-25-2015, 04:58 PM
Bull - I have not. My only experience with the Islays has been with Laphroaig, and after one sip I cant take any more of the smoke. I imagine I will come around at some point, much as we all came around from Jack/Beam and coke, but the scotch taste has been a tough one for me to conquer thus far.

I really want to like it, as you can get a much older scotch for much less than you can get in any other whiskey, and I enjoy the complexities that come with age.

Morangie is your friend...

Lagavulin and Laphroaig will invoke the same response from non-scotch drinkers almost unanimously... "taste like a campfire in my mouth"... which I happen to love.

Might have a little Morangie 18 by the fire tonight.