PDA

View Full Version : Sandberg

msstate7
02-23-2015, 01:48 PM
How many years does he have left on Phillies' contract? Unless he turns it around it soon, he has to be thinking of giving college football a try

MsStateBaseball
02-23-2015, 01:52 PM
This should be the year he makes progress. Real progress.

smootness
02-23-2015, 01:56 PM
It's way too early for him to be thinking about anything other than excelling in baseball.

He just turned 20, and he'll repeat in low A this year, I would imagine. If he has a good year there, then he moves to high A as a 21-year-old, which is a good development track.

If he struggles this year, then it becomes much tougher. This is definitely an important year for him, but he's really only had one year in pro ball, and while he wasn't good, he wasn't so bad that he should go ahead and think about giving it up.

msstate7
02-23-2015, 01:57 PM
This should be the year he makes progress. Real progress.

He might. I noticed he's not cracking their top 10 in prospects and I don't think they have a good farm

DawgHouseUnited
02-23-2015, 02:02 PM
Funny you should ask that. I just read a short article up on M&W Nation about this very subject...

CHECKING UP ON CORD SANDBERG (http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2015/02/20/checking-cord-sandberg/)

msstate7
02-23-2015, 02:06 PM
Funny you should ask that. I just read a short article up on M&W Nation about this very subject...

CHECKING UP ON CORD SANDBERG (http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2015/02/20/checking-cord-sandberg/)

Good article

smootness
02-23-2015, 03:02 PM
There's no way Sandberg will be in the minors by 2017 and very little chance by 2018. But if he's progressing through the system, there's no reason he would get discouraged.

He'll start in low A this year and probably won't see AA until late in 2016 at the earliest.

maroonmania
02-23-2015, 04:45 PM
There's no way Sandberg will be in the minors by 2017 and very little chance by 2018.

Why do you say that? Do you think he will quit pro baseball if he is not in the Majors by 2017 or do you just think he will almost assuredly make the majors by then? Given his slow start I would be pretty surprised if he got to the majors by 2017. Prospects much better than him have been in the minors for years and have never gotten all the way to the bigs. Heck, I'm still very surprised Ed Easley has not been able to get into the Major leagues.

smootness
02-23-2015, 04:55 PM
Yeah, I'm an idiot. I mean to say there's no way he'll be in the majors by 2017. Haha. Totally changes the meaning of the sentence.

Todd4State
02-23-2015, 05:43 PM
How many years does he have left on Phillies' contract? Unless he turns it around it soon, he has to be thinking of giving college football a try

All minor leaguers have six years starting the year that they sign before they are free agents. If they don't make the 40 man roster by year six, they are fair game for anyone else to sign.

Todd4State
02-23-2015, 05:44 PM
He might. I noticed he's not cracking their top 10 in prospects and I don't think they have a good farm

The Phillies are rebuilding in a major way. That bodes fairly well for Sandberg even though he is a few years away.

msstate7
02-23-2015, 05:45 PM
All minor leaguers have six years starting the year that they sign before they are free agents. If they don't make the 40 man roster by year six, they are fair game for anyone else to sign.

So if in 4 years he hasn't made the 40 man roster, his career is in trouble

Offshore Dawg
02-24-2015, 06:54 AM
So if in 4 years he hasn't made the 40 man roster, his career is in trouble

Well damn, the poor thing my have to go out and get a real job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Martianlander
02-24-2015, 08:48 AM
I believe last year he batted .204. He's going to have to make some major strides to improve.

engie
02-24-2015, 09:03 AM
Well damn, the poor thing my have to go out and get a real job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That "real job" is as an SEC quarterback at Mississippi State. That's why everyone is interested. It's written into his contract that the Phillies pay for him to go to Mississippi State for 4 years upon the ending of his professional baseball career. So, there's a pretty high percentage chance we will be getting this guy back in the next couple of years.

For everyone that had forgotten

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mUWelpOmuc

bgover4
02-24-2015, 09:14 AM
Is it written that the Phillies will pay for MSU or just pay for college? I would love to have him locked in. Although I can't see any reason he would want to change schools. We have only gotten better. But I guess he could change his priorities and decide he wants to be somewhere bigger. Where is his minor league team currently located?

HoopsCoach21
02-24-2015, 09:31 AM
Is it written that the Phillies will pay for MSU or just pay for college? I would love to have him locked in. Although I can't see any reason he would want to change schools. We have only gotten better. But I guess he could change his priorities and decide he wants to be somewhere bigger. Where is his minor league team currently located?

Someone else I'm sure can fill you in with the details much better than I can, but it's my understanding that his LOI is still binding and if he wants to play college football it will be with us.

sandwolf
02-24-2015, 11:05 AM

I would think that the contract would be specific to a college, since different colleges would have different costs of attendance. I guess it could also be written to say that they would pay an amount equal to the cost of attending MSU, for whichever college he chooses.

engie
02-24-2015, 11:30 AM

Specific to MSU is my understanding...

He doesn't currently have a minor league team. That gets sorted out with assignments out of spring training....

smootness
02-24-2015, 12:04 PM
I believe last year he batted .204. He's going to have to make some major strides to improve.

He hit .235 with an OPS of just over .600 in low A last year. Obviously not very good, but it was his first real time in pro ball, and his development was always expected to be slower because he missed more time playing baseball than most due to his football responsibilities.

He will likely repeat low A again this year, and I would expect his numbers to jump quite a bit. If they don't, then yes, his career will be in limbo a bit. But if they do, his development is on track.

Todd4State
02-24-2015, 12:31 PM
Sandberg is so young his stats don't matter much at this point. The Phillies are going to bring him along slowly.

Jack Lambert
02-24-2015, 12:34 PM
You just gave Hugh Freeze a king kong boner.

Martianlander
02-24-2015, 02:11 PM
He hit .235 with an OPS of just over .600 in low A last year. Obviously not very good, but it was his first real time in pro ball, and his development was always expected to be slower because he missed more time playing baseball than most due to his football responsibilities.

He will likely repeat low A again this year, and I would expect his numbers to jump quite a bit. If they don't, then yes, his career will be in limbo a bit. But if they do, his development is on track.

Thanks for the update. I guess the .204 that I saw was either the previous year or a partial on last year.