PDA

View Full Version : Does Edward Aschoff follow college football?

ShotgunDawg
02-23-2015, 11:40 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/98329/sec-roundtable-toughest-coaching-job

Did I miss where we have finished ahead of Ole Miss in the SEC standing for 5 straight years and basically dominated the state this year in recruiting?

Did that happen or was that just a dream of mine?

trob115
02-23-2015, 12:08 PM
I think his reasoning explains that he doesn't. He did go to TSUN though so that's expected from him to say that.

QuadrupleOption
02-23-2015, 12:11 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/98329/sec-roundtable-toughest-coaching-job

Did I miss where we have finished ahead of Ole Miss in the SEC standing for 5 straight years and basically dominated the state this year in recruiting?

Did that happen or was that just a dream of mine?

He wasn't wrong about anything he said though. The only thing I'd contest would be the line about Ole Miss, but on paper they have recruited better than us historically (or at least since people figured out they could make money off recruiting websites).

I'll take the results over the hype any day. Another couple of seasons of competing for the West and people will be kissing our asses too.

Liverpooldawg
02-23-2015, 12:21 PM
He's a Rebel

AFDawg
02-23-2015, 12:32 PM
I think his reasoning explains that he doesn't. He did go to TSUN though so that's expected from him to say that.

He went to Florida. He's from Oxford.

RougeDawg
02-23-2015, 12:38 PM
He went to Florida. He's from Oxford.

Same difference. He was brought up under the largest umbrella of delusion known to man kind. He had no hope for it not to alter his perception of the university or football program. The delusion is so strong, reality is as difficult to obtain for these people as immortality. He is an assclowns for the most part and is always pumping them up, along with most other ESPN people.

AFDawg
02-23-2015, 12:40 PM
I didn't say he's unbiased.

Rayburn8
02-23-2015, 12:43 PM
Same difference. He was brought up under the largest umbrella of delusion known to man kind. He had no hope for it not to alter his perception of the university or football program. The delusion is so strong, reality is as difficult to obtain for these people as immortality. He is an assclowns for the most part and is always pumping them up, along with most other ESPN people.

Don't say that, there are a strong few of us raised here that see through the deloision and see the maroon light. However most of us are at Lafayette high school or went there. He went to Oxford High so he is probably all in on the deloision.

smootness
02-23-2015, 12:44 PM
He wasn't wrong about anything he said though. The only thing I'd contest would be the line about Ole Miss, but on paper they have recruited better than us historically (or at least since people figured out they could make money off recruiting websites).

I'll take the results over the hype any day. Another couple of seasons of competing for the West and people will be kissing our asses too.

The problem with his line, though, is that he talks about Ole Miss cleaning up in recruiting after mentioning how difficult it is to attract talent to Mississippi schools, especially when competing with Ole Miss.

Well, we pretty much only compete with them on Mississippi kids, and they absolutely have not cleaned up in-state relative to us recently. That's the problem. When we've gone head-to-head in recruiting with them recently, we've done just fine and have probably come out on top.

HSVDawg
02-23-2015, 01:49 PM
Once again, there is this mysterious media perception that somehow we are stuck in the dark ages in recruiting and facilities, yet Ole Miss is right up there with Bama, Florida, LSU, etc. in both categories.

There is not a nickel's worth of difference in the facilities. Our stadium I think is a little nicer after the expansion/renovation, their indoor practice facility is nicer, weight training and office complexes are about the same. On the whole, no notable difference.

Then there is recruiting, where if look at the one and only objective measurable statistic to evaluate it (NFL draft picks), both schools are roughly on the same level over the past 10 years or so. Then there is the recent head to head results and divisional standings that both slightly favor MSU.

Nevertheless, Ole Miss will now and forever be the better job. And only because of their run under Vaught 50 years ago.

maroonmania
02-23-2015, 02:46 PM
The problem with his line, though, is that he talks about Ole Miss cleaning up in recruiting after mentioning how difficult it is to attract talent to Mississippi schools, especially when competing with Ole Miss.

Well, we pretty much only compete with them on Mississippi kids, and they absolutely have not cleaned up in-state relative to us recently. That's the problem. When we've gone head-to-head in recruiting with them recently, we've done just fine and have probably come out on top.

Exactly, if there is any advantage OM has had in the past 25 years in recruiting over us its being able to attract a larger number of top line out of state recruits. And I think "the Playbook" post expounds on a lot of reasons why that is. In state though, overall, during that time period we've probably had the upper hand.

mic
02-23-2015, 02:57 PM
Simple. Answer to you question.
No he doesn't and he may have gone to UF but he is pro OM

EAVdog
02-23-2015, 03:54 PM
Once again, there is this mysterious media perception that somehow we are stuck in the dark ages in recruiting and facilities, yet Ole Miss is right up there with Bama, Florida, LSU, etc. in both categories.

There is not a nickel's worth of difference in the facilities. Our stadium I think is a little nicer after the expansion/renovation, their indoor practice facility is nicer, weight training and office complexes are about the same. On the whole, no notable difference.

Then there is recruiting, where if look at the one and only objective measurable statistic to evaluate it (NFL draft picks), both schools are roughly on the same level over the past 10 years or so. Then there is the recent head to head results and divisional standings that both slightly favor MSU.

Nevertheless, Ole Miss will now and forever be the better job. And only because of their run under Vaught 50 years ago.

Our Football Stadium currently is demonstrably better than the Vaught in quality and amenities. Their IPF, Manning Center, Locker Room facilities are nice and they are all nested essentially in the same space but they are not 'better' than ours. You could argue that having a football only facility would make our operations center better because we don't have to share weights etc... with other sports. But I actually think other sports are currently using our Football Weight Room.

RougeDawg
02-23-2015, 06:01 PM
Don't say that, there are a strong few of us raised here that see through the deloision and see the maroon light. However most of us are at Lafayette high school or went there. He went to Oxford High so he is probably all in on the deloision.

As for every rule or situation, there are a small amount of exceptions.

Howboutdemdogs
02-23-2015, 06:16 PM
The biggest problem we have have is our own history. It is not so much the last 25 years, but it goes much further with our program. Back in the day when Archie and the gang played, there was no limitations on the number of recruits and team players. OM had a lot more money than us, so they could afford getting all the recruits in Mississippi and maintain a large roster. Not until the NCAA made the rule with recruiting limits, we could not keep up. Now, (at least on paper) the playing field is more even.

But, this old perception of OM being far more superior is due to two main issues: history and bad reporting.

Bad reporting jobs is due to either being lazy on doing due diligence and/or it seems that with major media outlets, it is has been preached that it is just plain fashionable to root for OM. Journalism is just as powerful and controlling as any entity in America. OM, with it's Journalism School has now place people within ESPN, SDS, Yahoo Sports, and CBS. These people now can influence the readers with their warped opinions. Just look at the pole smoker Sheppard Smith.

The plaintiff rest your honor.

RougeDawg
02-23-2015, 06:31 PM
The biggest problem we have have is our own history. It is not so much the last 25 years, but it goes much further with our program. Back in the day when Archie and the gang played, there was no limitations on the number of recruits and team players. OM had a lot more money than us, so they could afford getting all the recruits in Mississippi and maintain a large roster. Not until the NCAA made the rule with recruiting limits, we could not keep up. Now, (at least on paper) the playing field is more even.

But, this old perception of OM being far more superior is due to two main issues: history and bad reporting.

Bad reporting jobs is due to either being lazy on doing due diligence and/or it seems that with major media outlets, it is has been preached that it is just plain fashionable to root for OM. Journalism is just as powerful and controlling as any entity in America. OM, with it's Journalism School has now place people within ESPN, SDS, Yahoo Sports, and CBS. These people now can influence the readers with their warped opinions. Just look at the pole smoker Sheppard Smith.

This man needs a standing ovation!!!

smootness
02-23-2015, 06:56 PM
Journalism is just as powerful and controlling as any entity in America. OM, with it's Journalism School has now place people within ESPN, SDS, Yahoo Sports, and CBS. These people now can influence the readers with their warped opinions. Just look at the pole smoker Sheppard Smith.

Yeah, but this is overblown and causes far more fear than it should. And State fans help them further by perpetuating it.

Northwestern has a much better journalism school with graduates everywhere, including sports journalism, and they suck at everything.

And traditional journalism has never been less important or impactful than it is today. There's not a single person on planet earth who went to Ole Miss or likes Ole Miss because of Sheppard Smith.

Howboutdemdogs
02-23-2015, 08:27 PM
I will agree to part of Smootness, but NW is not from an area of heavy interest in football. ( college or high school as in the South). We all know that it is fanatical down here. However, what I am pointing out is the fact that OM has the only direct path of influence that we don't have. Also, to further my point, in our great State of Mississippi, that I truely and dearly love; small town newspapers can control or steer people with their words. Couple that with local TV, which are far vast OM grads, then the population can be "Manipulated".

This is not Chicago or Illinois, and our top five newspapers and TV stations in Miss are ran or majority employed by OM grads. So, to my point earlier, now they have branched out of Miss into positions on a national scale that can influence the uninformed. This is the main reason for ignorance or false grandiose of OM in America.

AND IT PISSES ME OFF!

BossDawg
02-24-2015, 01:40 AM

Hammer on nail. This is all you need to know. Also, I know a lot of people will think I'm going all black helicopters here, but many of these articles about their badass campus and of how badass Oxford is are always directly influenced by some homer representing UMiss. Oxford, the UMiss campus and their athletic programs aren't so awesome to the point it justifies all of this fellation they receive via the media by seemingly unbiased individuals. UMiss is just blessed with a much louder ilk that insists on getting someone's attention.

Dawg61
02-24-2015, 01:55 AM

MSU has noticeably better facilities than Ole Miss. We are top 6-8 in the SEC in football facilities outside of seating capacity. We don't need a bigger stadium. With two ridiculous jumbotron's, the new bowled in upgrade and all the cowbells our stadium has become very impressive imo. Cameron Indoor seats like 3,000 yet you don't see Duke trying to make it larger. DWS has become an intimidating place to have to play for the opposition.

RougeDawg
02-24-2015, 10:45 AM
I will agree to part of Smootness, but NW is not from an area of heavy interest in football. ( college or high school as in the South). We all know that it is fanatical down here. However, what I am pointing out is the fact that OM has the only direct path of influence that we don't have. Also, to further my point, in our great State of Mississippi, that I truely and dearly love; small town newspapers can control or steer people with their words. Couple that with local TV, which are far vast OM grads, then the population can be "Manipulated".

This is not Chicago or Illinois, and our top five newspapers and TV stations in Miss are ran or majority employed by OM grads. So, to my point earlier, now they have branched out of Miss into positions on a national scale that can influence the uninformed. This is the main reason for ignorance or false grandiose of OM in America.

AND IT PISSES ME OFF!

Spot on. And I know they aren't "true" media members, but we have had more than ourndsirnshare of beat writers and recruiting guys who have been more than willing to throw us under the bus first chance they get just to make a buck, even helping fuel an investigation. Not only do we have to battle the pro OM media, we have to thwart our own trying to make a buck at our expense.