PDA

View Full Version : SEC QB Pre-Spring Rankings by ESPN

notsofarawaydawg
02-23-2015, 11:02 AM
ESPN Ranking (http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/98311/sec-pre-spring-position-rankings-qb)

ShotgunDawg
02-23-2015, 11:10 AM
Dan Mullen hasn't made many evaluation mistakes or mistakes in general in recruiting over the past 7 years, but perhaps the one that gives him the most heartburn is offering Cord Sandberg over Josh Dobbs, when Dobbs likely would've committed on the spot.

Perhaps Cord was legitimately better and perhaps Staley or Fitz is better than Dobbs, but the truth is that MSU should have the top 2 SEC QBs on it's roster right now.

jumbo
02-23-2015, 11:15 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought we did offer Dobbs but he chose UT because of the depth chart. I thought I remember him wanting to play immediately.

ShotgunDawg
02-23-2015, 11:29 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought we did offer Dobbs but he chose UT because of the depth chart. I thought I remember him wanting to play immediately.

We offered late once we knew Cord was leaning towards baseball. Dobbs came to our camp and we could've gotten him to commit, but we chose to accept Cord's commitment instead

thedawg
02-23-2015, 11:29 AM
We slow played Dobbs.. Im not sure he would have committed on the spot but we could have gotten him if we made him a priority. Cord was the one we wanted and there were no indications he was going baseball until he had a meteoric rise up baseball charts in the summer before his senior year. Even still Cord to baseball wasnt a done deal until it was too late for us to come in and grab Josh. Cord was the best QB prospect we had recruited for the offense at that time and we were just stuck between a rock and a hard place on what to do. It worked out ok as I still love our young QB depth behind Dak

Ifyouonlyknew
02-23-2015, 11:35 AM
We offered Cord 1st because he was a way better fit for the offense & when he committed he wasn't the baseball draft risk. The next month he went to the showcase & blew up. After that we stayed on Dobbs hard the whole season. At that time he was committed to Az St. In January it became pretty clear that Dobbs wasn't going to stick with Az St so we ramped it up overtime. He pretty much gave us the run around on whether he would visit or not. That's when we started recruiting John O'Korn, Damian Williams, & Zach Greenlee. Dobbs then visited TN the last weekend before signing day & the rest is history. We did recruit Dobbs all the way through & tried to get him to be our 2nd QB from the summer on.

ShotgunDawg
02-23-2015, 11:41 AM
We offered Cord 1st because he was a way better fit for the offense & when he committed he wasn't the baseball draft risk. The next month he went to the showcase & blew up. After that we stayed on Dobbs hard the whole season. At that time he was committed to Az St. In January it became pretty clear that Dobbs wasn't going to stick with Az St so we ramped it up overtime. He pretty much gave us the run around on whether he would visit or not. That's when we started recruiting John O'Korn, Damian Williams, & Zach Greenlee. Dobbs then visited TN the last weekend before signing day & the rest is history. We did recruit Dobbs all the way through & tried to get him to be our 2nd QB from the summer on.

I love it when Dan comes here to defend himself

jumbo
02-23-2015, 11:44 AM

this is how I remember it playing out. thanks Dan for confirming

DudyDawg
02-23-2015, 01:19 PM
Glad we don't have Dobbs that dude is all kinds of ugly

maroonmania
02-23-2015, 01:26 PM

Problem for us recruiting Dobbs is that he knew he was our 2nd banana to Sandberg and at signing time we knew Sandberg was leaning heavily to baseball but he was still a signee and there was no guarantee he was absolutely going baseball. For that reason, if I was Dobbs, I wouldn't have signed with us either. And O'Korn wouldn't either. We had to go down the board to Damien to find someone who would sign ALONG WITH Sandberg. We would have been in a much better position to get a better QB if Sandberg had just decommitted.

thedawg
02-23-2015, 01:36 PM
Problem for us recruiting Dobbs is that he knew he was our 2nd banana to Sandberg and at signing time we knew Sandberg was leaning heavily to baseball but he was still a signee and there was no guarantee he was absolutely going baseball. For that reason, if I was Dobbs, I wouldn't have signed with us either. And O'Korn wouldn't either. We had to go down the board to Damien to find someone who would sign ALONG WITH Sandberg. We would have been in a much better position to get a better QB if Sandberg had just decommitted.

Agree but Sandberg was worth the risk IMO and it worked out because we followed it up with Staley and Fitz.. If we had missed the next year we would have had a mess

Ifyouonlyknew
02-23-2015, 01:44 PM

TN also had a QB committed also. Although nowhere nearly as highly rated he wasn't the only QB in that class.

smootness
02-23-2015, 01:51 PM
TN also had a QB committed also. Although nowhere nearly as highly rated he wasn't the only QB in that class.

Yeah, but these kids know how good other guys are. They're not just looking at the numbers to see if you have anyone committed, they're assessing how good they are.

When you see a 4-star who is perfectly suited to the offense already committed, it's tough to think, 'Yeah, I'll be the guy if I go there.'

I'm sure Dobbs knew Sandberg might go pro in baseball, but he probably also knew that if he didn't, Sandberg would be the coaches' #1 guy in that class at QB. Makes no sense to step into that if you have a better opportunity elsewhere.

And regardless of what we think, if you're just going by playing time, he made the right decision for himself.

maroonmania
02-23-2015, 02:02 PM
And regardless of what we think, if you're just going by playing time, he made the right decision for himself.

Good point, he will be the starter on opening day for TN this year no doubt. He wouldn't be for us if he was on our roster.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-23-2015, 02:11 PM
Yeah, but these kids know how good other guys are. They're not just looking at the numbers to see if you have anyone committed, they're assessing how good they are.

When you see a 4-star who is perfectly suited to the offense already committed, it's tough to think, 'Yeah, I'll be the guy if I go there.'

I'm sure Dobbs knew Sandberg might go pro in baseball, but he probably also knew that if he didn't, Sandberg would be the coaches' #1 guy in that class at QB. Makes no sense to step into that if you have a better opportunity elsewhere.

No dount & I agree. Just saying he wasn't the only QB in that class either. Also I believe he was Butch's guy while the other QB Riley Ferguson was a hold over from Dooley. He's already transferred out of the program.

blacklistedbully
02-23-2015, 02:24 PM
I love it when Dan comes here to defend himself

Dan or maybe Rockey? Perhaps Sleepy? Are we sure Dan would bother, or have the time to come on a message board? It's a fun thought, but I'm skeptical.

In any case, I'm always eager to read Ifyouonlyknew's posts.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-23-2015, 02:29 PM
Dan or maybe Rockey? Perhaps Sleepy? Are we sure Dan would bother, or have the time to come on a message board? It's a fun thought, but I'm skeptical.

In any case, I'm always eager to read Ifyouonlyknew's posts.

Trust me I'm nobody of that much importance.

Dawg496
02-23-2015, 02:45 PM

Hevesy?

DudyDawg
02-23-2015, 02:47 PM

Momma mullen?

blacklistedbully
02-23-2015, 03:47 PM
Momma mullen?

Then she would be of utmost importance!

smootness
02-23-2015, 04:08 PM
Hevesy?

I laughed.

RougeDawg
02-23-2015, 04:17 PM
Hevesy?

I laughed. Haaa

Ifyouonlyknew
02-23-2015, 04:20 PM
Some people on the board know who I am. They can tell you I'm not anyone important.

Smitty
02-23-2015, 04:41 PM
We have a fleet of Mack trucks about to cause pain across the league. Big boy smash mouth football. Is that Dobbs? Maybe, but I like the Fitz Tiano fleet myself

Schultzy
02-23-2015, 04:58 PM
UT failing to start Dobbs from day one last year shows how stupid college football coaches can be personnel wise.

Op4isabitch
02-23-2015, 06:47 PM
No Eyebrows no Offer!

That's the MSU motto.

MabenMaroon
02-23-2015, 07:25 PM
Some people on the board know who I am. They can tell you I'm not anyone important.

HA! You are Heisman the dog!

thedawg
02-23-2015, 09:06 PM
UT failing to start Dobbs from day one last year shows how stupid college football coaches can be personnel wise.

Worley was better than u are giving him credit for.. He was much like Tyler.. Could make all the throws but struggled with mobility.. The beating he took this past year behind that oline was child abuse

HancockCountyDog
02-23-2015, 09:23 PM
I thought they had the bears a little high.

RougeDawg
02-24-2015, 10:39 AM
Nice to see Dak on the front page of ESPN.com. We need another solid 9-11 win year this year a bad as ever and knock off a couple perceived "big boys" to keep this momentum rolling. This past season did as much positive for MSU football as the last 25 years. We need to build on that and back up the perception we established in 2014. As we know national perception can really elevate a program. What we have been building has been build amongst a relatively negative perception of MSU and MSU football. We've turned the facilities/salaries corner, and once we turn the perception corner we will begin to recruit nationally and compete for the SEC every year.