Big4Dawg
02-23-2015, 10:02 AM
Nm

thedawg
02-23-2015, 10:06 AM
Wish he had played that fast

jumbo
02-23-2015, 10:41 AM
struggling in on field drills though. I'll be surprised if he gets drafted.

Johnson85
02-23-2015, 11:12 AM
Wish he had played that fast

Got to be the player with the worst football speed I can remember. Just shows you how damn hard it is to project how players will do at each successive level. You look at his physique and measurables and you think he's a very good NFL prospect. Then you get him on the field and he's just average or a little below (in the SEC, so still pretty damn good, but well below what you'd expect).

Irondawg
02-23-2015, 12:05 PM
out of curiosity how are Golson and Prewitt doing?

thedawg
02-23-2015, 12:42 PM
Golson 4.46.. didnt see Prewitt

NCDawg
02-23-2015, 01:07 PM
I remember Cox tackled LSU's Fournette in the open field which saved a TD, so he is pretty tough.

smootness
02-23-2015, 01:24 PM
Cox had an elite 40, an elite broad jump, a great vertical, and a strong bench press. He's making himself some money right now.

I don't know if all of the safeties have gone yet, but he's tops in the 40 and broad jump, and 3rd in the vertical among the group right now.

Saltydog
02-23-2015, 01:27 PM
Robinson, BMac and Preston......I know Day and Beckwith didn't get invited..........

TheRef
02-23-2015, 01:27 PM
Apparently he didn't do so well in positional drills...

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
02-23-2015, 01:59 PM
he had to redo one drill twice, stumbled on another, announcers mentioned he looked nervous - never want to be the guy that doesn't get it right after watching 8 other people do it. He didn't look very fluid in position drills. - but when it came to just running & catching he looked fine.

I think it's just a matter of over-thinking & not being able to coordinate mind & body. If the game ever slows down for him, he has all the tools. I think he can be a great developmental player if he can latch on w/ a proven coaching staff, commit to one position, & get lots of practice reps. If he has to learn a new scheme every year or two, or learn multiple positions, I don't know if he will ever be able to translate those tools to the football field.

Bothrops
02-23-2015, 03:29 PM
Robinson, BMac and Preston......I know Day and Beckwith didn't get invited..........

Day not getting invited is a joke.

DudyDawg
02-23-2015, 04:10 PM
Ran 4.36, second best among all DBs. Pretty good for a safety.

mic
02-23-2015, 04:31 PM
I would be shocked if he didn't ger drafted.. A safety with that speed and athletic ability and size.. Also played a little corner in college.. Would be great on special teams..

DudyDawg
02-23-2015, 04:34 PM
Don't know if yall saw Byron jones from UConn, but he had a 44.5 inch vertical and a 12"3' broad jump, which is the best ever by 8 inches. What a freak

DudyDawg
02-23-2015, 04:46 PM
Prewitt ran a 4.61

Tbonewannabe
02-23-2015, 05:06 PM
Prewitt ran a 4.61

About what I expected. He isn't a burner for sure.

DudyDawg
02-23-2015, 05:08 PM
About what I expected. He isn't a burner for sure.

Nope. Combine isn't his thing. He's a player though.

shoeless joe
02-23-2015, 05:49 PM
he had to redo one drill twice, stumbled on another, announcers mentioned he looked nervous - never want to be the guy that doesn't get it right after watching 8 other people do it. He didn't look very fluid in position drills. - but when it came to just running & catching he looked fine.

I think it's just a matter of over-thinking & not being able to coordinate mind & body. If the game ever slows down for him, he has all the tools. I think he can be a great developmental player if he can latch on w/ a proven coaching staff, commit to one position, & get lots of practice reps. If he has to learn a new scheme every year or two, or learn multiple positions, I don't know if he will ever be able to translate those tools to the football field.

Your first paragraph sums it up. He's a freak athlete that has never had to do anything on the field but be a freak athlete. Paying attention and attention to detail aren't his strengths, he just goes out and out athletes folks cuz that's all he's ever had to do. This caught up to him a good but this year and was on display at combine. If he ever figures it out he could excel.

Dallas_Dawg
02-23-2015, 08:12 PM
Wonder if he wouldn't be better on the offensive side of the ball. He played QB in high school and was dynamic with the ball in his hand.
We know he can run and he looked pretty good catching the ball.
It really sucks that we didn't have him 4 or 5 years

War Machine Dawg
02-23-2015, 08:14 PM
There are guys with tools and there are football players. Cox is in the first category. When it comes to being the latter, he isn't very good.

Harrydawg
02-23-2015, 08:29 PM
struggling in on field drills though. I'll be surprised if he gets drafted.

If you think for a second a safety who ran a sub 4.4 doesn't get drafted.......I would be shocked

thedawg
02-23-2015, 09:01 PM
I always wondered what he would look like at wr... Remember the pick in the egg bowl two years ago?

MaxedOutMaroon
02-24-2015, 09:46 AM
I think he'll be as good as he wants to be. He's still very raw and has so much potential. He'll be a late round draft pick, then either he'll work his butt off and become a starter or head back to Point City like most from there. I'm rooting for him to wake up and be a great player. Let me remind you all, he missed the Egg and Orang bowl. When was our secondary most vulnerable and exposed (besides UAB)? then. He was better than you all think, he's just still raw

Tbonewannabe
02-24-2015, 09:58 AM
He did make the pick that sealed the AU win.

thf24
02-24-2015, 10:15 AM
I think his performance for us is being remembered unfavorably because he did underwhelm relative to his hype and recruiting ranking coming in, and I'm sure his MSU career-ending incident is leaving a bad taste with many as well; but in all honesty he was pretty good and our best all-around safety last year. He was SEC-average at best, but that's still pretty damn good. He has all the tools to succeed in the NFL, he'll just have to do a little better in the mental and learning aspects.

maroonmania
02-24-2015, 10:18 AM
I think his performance for us is being remembered unfavorably because he did underwhelm relative to his hype and recruiting ranking coming in, and I'm sure his MSU career-ending incident is leaving a bad taste with many as well; but in all honesty he was pretty good and our best all-around safety last year. He was SEC-average at best, but that's still pretty damn good. He has all the tools to succeed in the NFL, he'll just have to do a little better in the mental and learning aspects.

And due to our lack of safety depth, not having him in the Egg Bowl and Orange Bowl was a huge blow to our defense. Safety was a problem spot even with him but became a huge liability without him.

tcdog70
02-24-2015, 12:04 PM
He made a big interception against the Rebs as a Jr. Maybe He wasn't put in the right position to show out. Maybe if we put pressure on the QB he would have looked better. Notice when He wasn't playing our D looked like shit

Really Clark?
02-24-2015, 01:45 PM
He made a big interception against the Rebs as a Jr. Maybe He wasn't put in the right position to show out. Maybe if we put pressure on the QB he would have looked better. Notice when He wasn't playing our D looked like shit

What? With his athletic ability, even if he was put in bad positions by the coaches he could have overcome that on ability. Like War Machine said, ability doesn't make a football player. And to be clear he didn't have bad coaching or was mis-handled. He has CB ability and he looked so bad at CB the fans last year claimed it was the coaches fault he should have been playing safety. A year later, it was the coaches fault his ability didn't shine through. Was it the coaches fault he had a very poor performance at the combine in the drills? It's been his atheletic ability allowing to overcome his major flaws in technique and mentality. Make no mistake, his superb atheletic ability allowed him to be an average to below average SEC safety. That shows the tools he has but he has a long ways to go.

War Machine Dawg
02-24-2015, 02:39 PM
What? With his athletic ability, even if he was put in bad positions by the coaches he could have overcome that on ability. Like War Machine said, ability doesn't make a football player. And to be clear he didn't have bad coaching or was mis-handled. He has CB ability and he looked so bad at CB the fans last year claimed it was the coaches fault he should have been playing safety. A year later, it was the coaches fault his ability didn't shine through. Was it the coaches fault he had a very poor performance at the combine in the drills? It's been his atheletic ability allowing to overcome his major flaws in technique and mentality. Make no mistake, his superb atheletic ability allowed him to be an average to below average SEC safety. That shows the tools he has but he has a long ways to go.

Bingo. Having the tools and being able to use the tools are two very different things. Cox was below average to average because of superb athletic ability, but he isn't a very good football player. In contrast, let's take a look at Kendrick Market. Market has average to below average tools. But he's been an average to above average SEC S because he's a damn good football player. Market makes the most of what he has. Cox is the opposite.

Two more examples: Dontae Walker and Dicenzo Miller. Walker was like Cox: a guy with all the tools who occasionally flashed ability. But he wasn't a "football player" and never even got invited to the Combine. Miller was more like Market. He probably ran a 4.8+ 40 and didn't have elite athleticism. But he was an excellent "football player" who became a highly productive fan favorite because he maximized his ability.

tcdog70
02-24-2015, 08:47 PM
If you don't think the read and react defense that allows the QB to stand in the pocket ,doesn't put undue pressure on DBs, you don't understand football. When he played at Scooba they put pressure on the QB and Cox was an All American.. Why did Joe Lees DBacks look good ? Because he put quick pressure on the QB. When He failed to put pressure his DBacks didn't look as good. Sit back and watch, Cox will be drafted.

Really Clark?
02-25-2015, 12:37 AM
If you don't think the read and react defense that allows the QB to stand in the pocket ,doesn't put undue pressure on DBs, you don't understand football. When he played at Scooba they put pressure on the QB and Cox was an All American.. Why did Joe Lees DBacks look good ? Because he put quick pressure on the QB. When He failed to put pressure his DBacks didn't look as good. Sit back and watch, Cox will be drafted.

So being second in the league and 20th in the nation in sacks, 3rd in the league in QB hurries, 34th in the nation in sack percentage, etc, and we don't understand football? Maybe you need to rewatch our games this year. We put a lot of pressure on the QB's.

tcdog70
02-26-2015, 09:00 PM
So being second in the league and 20th in the nation in sacks, 3rd in the league in QB hurries, 34th in the nation in sack percentage, etc, and we don't understand football? Maybe you need to rewatch our games this year. We put a lot of pressure on the QB's.

So where was the pressure in the UAB game?. You are telling Me we put pressure on Bo in the egg Bowl? And we really hurried the QB when we got smoked by Ga Tech. Yes boy we really killed ole Bo Wallace, no we didn't he had a month to throw. Not only did we not pressure the Bama QB but we failed to contain Him. But yes stats sometime don't tell the story. In our three losses check those stats.

FlabLoser
02-26-2015, 10:31 PM
Cox was disappointed in his 40 time. He expected to get 4.2s. Looks like a lot of people were slower than expected. Maybe it's the setup.

Really Clark?
02-26-2015, 10:34 PM
So where was the pressure in the UAB game?. You are telling Me we put pressure on Bo in the egg Bowl? And we really hurried the QB when we got smoked by Ga Tech. Yes boy we really killed ole Bo Wallace, no we didn't he had a month to throw. Not only did we not pressure the Bama QB but we failed to contain Him. But yes stats sometime don't tell the story. In our three losses check those stats.

You can't go back now and cherry pick a few games (only our losses) to tell the whole story. You have to take the season as a whole. Also, he didn't play against So Alabama, Vandy, UM and GA Tech so those games are irrelevant to the discussion of Cox and his ability and whether or not pressure had anything to do with it. That was your original point. Not to mention you are going to throw a GA Tech game in which you are not going to play very much passing pressure against their offense. The other 9 games are the only games you could legitimately look at with concern of him and the false idea that our coaching and lack of pressure effected his "shining" on the field. In two years he had a grand total of 2 interceptions. A man with that much ability should have had more just on his ability alone.

But let's look at the Bama game. We averaged 6.46 QB hurries per game last season. Against Bama we had 5. We averaged 2.85 sacks per game last year. Against Bama we had 2. So don't act like they completely held us at bay. Yes it was below our normal per game totals but I could have done like you and cherry picked our three best games. And what does contain have to do with QB pressure other than the fact that you usually have QB scrambling for big yards when you are trying to PRESSURE them. We brought pressure, he breaks away and you want to use that against the defense for not getting pressure? That's backwards. Your thought process is wrong and in this case the stats prove we did pressure the QB.

As far as the UAB game, what about the USA game or LSU or A & M. Crap you can't pick and choose and UAB wasn't even one of the worse games with lack of pressure. Why didn't you use LSU? Because those breakdowns were on the DB's not lack of pressure. Just like the majority of the season. And it seems that a lot of players contributed to UAB passing on us. Damn we played a lot of base defense that game as well as 2nd and 3rd string guys.

tcdog70
02-26-2015, 10:51 PM
I was pointing out the losses, and the reason we lost is because we put no pressure on the QB, I agree when we applied pressure we did win. When we didn't we lost. And I threw I. The UAB game because our defense suxed and the reason being is we let the QB stand back there and throw the ball with no pressure.

Really Clark?
02-26-2015, 11:40 PM
Your premise was that 1: "Maybe if we put pressure on the QB he would have looked better." Well we put pressure on the QB and was one of the top teams in the league in sacks and QB hurries. You can't just choose our losses and say we didn't put pressure on the QB because of those 3 games. That is an absurd assertion. That's like saying Dak wasnt a good rusher this year because you only look at his USM, Tenn-Martin, and Vandy games.

2: You state "When he played at Scooba they put pressure on the QB and Cox was an All American.". Why didn't that translate in the games that he played this year, at the same position, and we put pressure on the QB. Because he is not a football player. He is one of the best atheletes on the field and he overcame his handicaps in JUCO on just talent. Well this is the SEC. Everybody is talented. You had better be a football player as well. It just shows how much ability he has to be average in the SEC just on talent alone. But he still has a long way to go.

And since this thread started about his NFL future, do you think that it's going to be easier for him in the league? Do they not have games or game plans in which he will have to cover without pressure being applied to the QB? Some of the top NFL defenses are based on the read and react style. Seahawks, Patriots both have that or a version of it as their philosphy. So don't act like its some kind of lesser defense.

All that being said he could find a place with a team on special teams and learn to apply his talent. But he has a long way to go.

tcdog70
02-27-2015, 10:54 AM
When Cox played we only lost 1 game. When he wasn't playing we Lost the last 2 games and we looked terrible in the secondary. If He played I believe we would have beaten Ole Miss don't know about Ga Tech. Cox, IMHO, will play on Sundays. Thanks for the back and forth. I still think Collins's style of defense puts a lot of pressure on DBs.