PDA

View Full Version : If I'm Cohen,

messageboardsuperhero
02-22-2015, 08:03 PM
I would try either Gridley or Holland at 3rd. Our current third basemen are doing nothing right now. Gridley has been showing out, and I have a lot of faith that Holland will come around offensively. This would be a pretty potent lineup offensively and strong defensively:

C- Collins
1B- Rea
2B- Gridley/Holland
3B- Gridley/Holland
SS- Heck
OF- Humphreys
OF- Robson
OF- Smith
DH- Depends on matchups. Could be Brown, Humphreys, Rooker, etc.

Smitty
02-22-2015, 08:05 PM
That's the lineup with Rooker DH

Todd4State
02-22-2015, 08:05 PM
I agree, but I'm inclined to believe that Holland is better suited for third than Gridley.

msstate7
02-22-2015, 08:06 PM
I'm watching the radio. How's gridley's defense at 2b?

We may need to go with brown/Robson/smith in of to cover as much ground as possible. Dh hump/rooker

smootness
02-22-2015, 08:06 PM
Yeah, I think Humphreys and Rooker will be about the only DH going forward until one doesn't produce.

I would think Brown and Vickerson will both get time when Humphreys DHs, and it will be Humphreys in LF when Rooker plays.

Todd4State
02-22-2015, 08:07 PM
That's the lineup with Rooker DH

Yes. I am a huge fan of Rooker. That gives us a good balance of speed and power throughout the lineup and not really any holes when everyone is healthy.

smootness
02-22-2015, 08:07 PM

We may need to go with brown/Robson/smith in of to cover as much ground as possible. Dh hump/rooker

Looks really good to me. He's made every play he should and had a really nice play last weekend going to his left.

Humphreys is not going to sit, so he'll play LF when Rooker DHs. And that's fine, he's not a liability out there by any means. Robson and Smith will cover plenty of ground.

Todd4State
02-22-2015, 08:13 PM

Gridley is pretty good defensively. Third base is a reaction position and you want someone with a strong throwing arm. I think with Holland being an older player, he could handle that swith more easily at this point in time.

Himphreys and Rooker are also pretty fast- especially Rooker. I don't know who would win a foot race between all the outfielders, but Humphreys and Rooker are more than adequate and they aren't base cloggers. Humphreys may steal a few bases as the season goes along and Rooker is a 4.5 40 guy.

msstate7
02-22-2015, 08:15 PM
Gridley is pretty good defensively. Third base is a reaction position and you want someone with a strong throwing arm. I think with Holland being an older player, he could handle that swith more easily at this point in time.

Himphreys and Rooker are also pretty fast- especially Rooker. I don't know who would win a foot race between all the outfielders, but Humphreys and Rooker are more than adequate and they aren't base cloggers. Humphreys may steal a few bases as the season goes along and Rooker is a 4.5 40 guy.

Nice to know. I didn't realize they were that fast

engie
02-22-2015, 08:17 PM
I don't guess we're going to be seeing Cole Gordon, which I think is a mistake if he isn't injured...

The advantage of Rea's defense and reach at first has become painfully apparent in these last 5 in the same way Todd and I have harped on before. He catches Britton's "error" that almost cost us the game in the 9th without leaving the bag. Really, he would have gobbled up almost all of the throwing errors we've had...

engie
02-22-2015, 08:18 PM
I dunno about Humphreys, but Rooker can fly...

messageboardsuperhero
02-22-2015, 08:18 PM
Nice to know. I didn't realize they were that fast

I don't think people realize what an athletic freak Rooker is. His tools are outstanding, and he will most definitely play baseball professionally. Hell, I don't think Rooker even knows how good he can be.

smootness
02-22-2015, 08:19 PM
Yeah, Humphreys was into 2nd standing up easy, without a throw, on a pretty hard hit ball that the OF cut off before it reached the warning track. He can definitely run.

He was a pretty good SS in HS before his surgery, wasn't he?

messageboardsuperhero
02-22-2015, 08:20 PM
I don't guess we're going to be seeing Cole Gordon, which I think is a mistake if he isn't injured...

The advantage of Rea's defense and reach at first has become painfully apparent in these last 5 in the same way Todd and I have harped on before. He catches Britton's "error" that almost cost us the game in the 9th without leaving the bag. Really, he would have gobbled up almost all of the throwing errors we've had...

Gordon is a better option than Trent Wadell right now, IMO.

ScottH
02-22-2015, 08:27 PM
Didnt Rooker come in as a 1st baseman out of high school?

Todd4State
02-22-2015, 08:29 PM
Yeah, Humphreys was into 2nd standing up easy, without a throw, on a pretty hard hit ball that the OF cut off before it reached the warning track. He can definitely run.

He was a pretty good SS in HS before his surgery, wasn't he?

Yes, he was a SS and P in high school.

Todd4State
02-22-2015, 08:33 PM
Didnt Rooker come in as a 1st baseman out of high school?

Kind of. He was recruited as a corner INF/OF guy. He played third base in high school, but defensively in college he's more of an 1B/OF type. And no, we don't want him playing third for us. It will be a lot like Britton today. Because of Cole Gordon, I think Rooker is destined to the OF.

engie
02-22-2015, 08:36 PM
Gordon is a better option than Trent Wadell right now, IMO.

Agreed

Todd4State
02-22-2015, 08:37 PM

That is one of those you don't appreciate it until it's not there things. The whole you can just stick anyone at first base thing was something I've never agreed with- even though it's not a premium defensive position.

I'm not sure what's going on with Cole, but I hope they aren't going to just make him a pitcher.

ScottH
02-22-2015, 08:40 PM
Be nice to have Dylan Ingram if Gordon isn't going to play

DogDaddy
02-23-2015, 09:51 AM
I don't think people realize what an athletic freak Rooker is. His tools are outstanding, and he will most definitely play baseball professionally. Hell, I don't think Rooker even knows how good he can be.

You should see him dunk a basketball.....he gets his elbow in the rim.

Smitty
02-23-2015, 01:01 PM
Be nice to have Dylan Ingram if Gordon isn't going to play

17 yeah it would

Maroon Blood
02-23-2015, 01:10 PM
I like our problems/options.