PDA

View Full Version : this team has guts...

Political Hack
02-22-2015, 08:01 PM
not a great performance by any means, but several guys stepped up when their backs were against the wall. Impressive. LOVE this squad. I feel like we're deeper across the board than we ever have been.

Also, nice to see Britton make a great play to end it after the throwing error. Fits was awesome with his back against the wall. Robson is a stud. The Frosh 2nd baseman is clutch. Cody Brown just flat out produces.

Todd4State
02-22-2015, 08:03 PM
I like how the young players seem to be better than the older ones- and the older ones aren't bad by any stretch of the imagination.

smootness
02-22-2015, 08:04 PM
Yeah. You'll have games like this in baseball, you just have to win them, and we did.

We need to keep Gridley in the lineup to see if he can keep this up against better competition. Britton needs to sit.

Harrydawg
02-22-2015, 08:08 PM
Boy, good point Todd.....it is obvious that the level of play of the new comers have increased over the years so much that they seem to be much more ready.

messageboardsuperhero
02-22-2015, 08:12 PM
To me, Fitts's performance was so gutsy and mature. He already pitched 1 1/3 innings today, was sitting out in the cold for about 3 hours and probably thought he would be done for the day, comes back in and doesn't have nearly his best stuff, breaking ball missing big, but he still comes up huge twice with the bases loaded. I was super impressed by that. Fitts may not have the ability of a Holder, but that is just so mentally tough.

smootness
02-22-2015, 08:21 PM
To me, Fitts's performance was so gutsy and mature. He already pitched 1 1/3 innings today, was sitting out in the cold for about 3 hours and probably thought he would be done for the day, comes back in and doesn't have nearly his best stuff, breaking ball missing big, but he still comes up huge twice with the bases loaded. I was super impressed by that. Fitts may not have the ability of a Holder, but that is just so mentally tough.

Yeah, he's probably going to be more of a Reed-type guy, as many have said. He may not come in and just shut you down, but he's going to battle. You'll have to earn anything you get off him.

Todd4State
02-22-2015, 08:22 PM

I think some of his command issues were from inexperience as a relief pitcher. They may have made him warm up pretty quickly and he couldn't get a feel for his curveball. He may have been trying to over snap his curveball trying to throw a perfect pitch and he was getting under it too much. I don't know.

Todd4State
02-22-2015, 08:25 PM
Yeah, he's probably going to be more of a Reed-type guy, as many have said. He may not come in and just shut you down, but he's going to battle. You'll have to earn anything you get off him.

I think Fitts is going to be used like Holder- it wasn't uncommon for us to bring him in during the seventh. I think Daniel Brown will be used like Caleb Reed was though.

BrunswickDawg
02-22-2015, 08:28 PM
Boy, good point Todd.....it is obvious that the level of play of the new comers have increased over the years so much that they seem to be much more ready.
I hope we can keep tapping into kids like Gridley from the East Cobb program - they prep their players better than any travel ball program in the country.

smootness
02-22-2015, 08:30 PM
I think Fitts is going to be used like Holder- it wasn't uncommon for us to bring him in during the seventh. I think Daniel Brown will be used like Caleb Reed was though.

Reed often pitched more than an inning as well. To me, I see Brown like Lindgren, though we may not use him in extended outings like we did Lindgren.

Todd4State
02-22-2015, 08:39 PM
Reed often pitched more than an inning as well. To me, I see Brown like Lindgren, though we may not use him in extended outings like we did Lindgren.

I think that Brown will be used multiple innings as well. He has been pretty filthy so far.

smootness
02-22-2015, 08:45 PM
I think that Brown will be used multiple innings as well. He has been pretty filthy so far.

Just has to get a little more under control...although Lindgren never really did, and he was still filthy.

I seen it dawg
02-22-2015, 09:07 PM
I think we've lost Britton. I by no means have an info but his demeanor and body language look terrible. Like he's royally pissed about not playing and just going thru the motions. Wouldn't surprise me if he disappears completely.

Political Hack
02-22-2015, 09:19 PM
I hope we can keep tapping into kids like Gridley from the East Cobb program - they prep their players better than any travel ball program in the country.

Gwinnett county is starting to rival them. North Atlanta baseball is disgustingly good.

Oxdawg
02-22-2015, 09:53 PM
Yeah. You'll have games like this in baseball, you just have to win them, and we did.

We need to keep Gridley in the lineup to see if he can keep this up against better competition. Britton needs to sit.

If we leave Gridley in, do you move Holland to third when Rea comes back?

smootness
02-22-2015, 09:56 PM

I probably would, but guys will continue to see time to give them a chance. I'm not sure exactly how well Holland would handle 3rd, but that would probably be my preference.

Todd4State
02-22-2015, 10:10 PM

I would definitely try it.