PDA

View Full Version : Cord sandberg

msstate7
04-01-2013, 08:59 PM
Dawg61 on sps said he saw cord was projected as 4th round pick. Think he'll sign if drafted in 4th round?

Coach34
04-01-2013, 09:02 PM
Dawg61 on sps said he saw cord was projected as 4th round pick. Think he'll sign if drafted in 4th round?

Only if he wants to play baseball more than he does football

msstate7
04-01-2013, 09:06 PM
I think you're right. 4th round isn't life-changing money is it? If he signs as 4th rounder, he was never really considering coming here.

MitchD24
04-01-2013, 09:26 PM
I have a pretty good feeling he ends up on campus.. At first I didn't think it would happen but he baseball season has started out to promising and is dropping is stock pretty quickly

engie
04-01-2013, 09:49 PM

90% chance he's at MSU as a 4th rounder IMO... He drops that far and he's got a chance he goes undrafted or really late because they are going to know his signability number is dropping....Cord's mom really wants him to experience college -- and his dad has told us that it would probably take first round money for him to sign.

Slot value for the 4th round is $250-320k. That's $150-220k after taxes. A 5-yr football scholarship to MSU is worth $125k-$150k. He'd be re-eligible for the draft in 3 years -- at which point he'd be worth about $100k minimum(even if he hadn't played baseball for MSU).

Todd4State
04-01-2013, 10:30 PM
Odds are he will fall lower than that. In general, when someone is "projected" at a round I've found that they usually go lower. That may only apply for Mississippi players though.

The thing we have to really worry about is some team taking a chance of him in the sandwich round of the first round.

BeastMan
04-01-2013, 10:58 PM
Odds are he will fall lower than that. In general, when someone is "projected" at a round I've found that they usually go lower. That may only apply for Mississippi players though.

The thing we have to really worry about is some team taking a chance of him in the sandwich round of the first round.

Good lord I'm clueless on the MLB draft b/c I have no idea what the sandwich round is. Gotta be that 2nd first round thing right?

engie
04-01-2013, 11:23 PM
Good lord I'm clueless on the MLB draft b/c I have no idea what the sandwich round is. Gotta be that 2nd first round thing right?

Right...

It's between the first and second round and is basically compensation picks for departing free-agents...

TexasDawg
04-02-2013, 02:13 AM
If Cord is drafted outside the first 2 1/2 rounds he will be a bulldog, if he goes inside of that we will lose him. The main thing to remember here is that his dad played Minor League ball and knows how the system works, if he is drafted in the third round I am very confident his father will encourage him to play college football. IMHO

Political Hack
04-02-2013, 06:57 AM
Cord's brother or cousin, or someone in the family, is a MLB scout. He's got to have a pretty good idea of where he's being projected at this point. Seems like word would leak out one way or the other pretty soon as to where the teams have him on their boards. And I'm not talking about perfect game or any "experts". I'd like to know where the teams have him.

Duke Silver
04-02-2013, 07:16 AM
I think he'll be here, love to see him and mullen work together

Dawgface
04-02-2013, 07:31 AM
Slot value for the 4th round is $250-320k. That's $150-220k after taxes. A 5-yr football scholarship to MSU is worth $125k-$150k. He'd be re-eligible for the draft in 3 years -- at which point he'd be worth about $100k minimum(even if he hadn't played baseball for MSU).

Don't they usually throw in a college education for most of these kind of players as part of their MLB deal? Which makes the $$$ deal more for a 4th round pick in your comparison. I doubt he is comparing the $$$ value of a college education to the $$$ value of a MLB pick though. If he truly loves baseball and the dollar amt is acceptable, I think he is gone. It not, he may come here and play both sports and try pro baseball later.

HereComesTheSpiral
04-02-2013, 07:44 AM
I think the hard part of him coming here is he knows he will more than likely have to give up baseball to play football at the high level that is expected. I also see him redshirting his first year and playing baseball for us and giving up football like Wilder did to run track.

SnakePlissken
04-02-2013, 08:28 AM
I think the hard part of him coming here is he knows he will more than likely have to give up baseball to play football at the high level that is expected. I also see him redshirting his first year and playing baseball for us and giving up football like Wilder did to run track. I can see this as well, especially if baseball is his first love. I think he enjoys football a lot but I believe he is really a baseball guy at the core

Juco All-American
04-02-2013, 08:38 AM
Y'all get him if he's a fourth rounder I think.

engie
04-02-2013, 10:28 AM
Don't they usually throw in a college education for most of these kind of players as part of their MLB deal? Which makes the $$$ deal more for a 4th round pick in your comparison. I doubt he is comparing the $$$ value of a college education to the $$$ value of a MLB pick though.

For early rounders, they generally do. But they ONLY pay for tuition/books -- it is not a full-cost deal like a football scholarship is. The money they set aside from that is not "free" either. People think it is because it's generally included -- but, in fact, that money generally comes out of the front end of the signing bonus...

engie
04-02-2013, 10:36 AM
I can see this as well, especially if baseball is his first love. I think he enjoys football a lot but I believe he is really a baseball guy at the core

If this is the case -- How do you explain him playing for a national football powerhouse @ Manatee that won the national title his junior year and was #1 for most of his senior year -- but only a 2-14 baseball team? If baseball was the clear priority, don't you think he would have compromised on the football program in order to play for a much better baseball program?

For every bit of evidence that's out there implying he's a baseball-first guy, there's other stuff implying he's a football-first guy.

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/manatee-hurricanes-(bradenton,fl)/baseball/schedule.htm

Spider-Man
04-02-2013, 10:56 AM
If this is the case -- How do you explain him playing for a national football powerhouse @ Manatee that won the national title his junior year and was #1 for most of his senior year -- but only a 2-14 baseball team? If baseball was the clear priority, don't you think he would have compromised on the football program in order to play for a much better baseball program?

For every bit of evidence that's out there implying he's a baseball-first guy, there's other stuff implying he's a football-first guy.

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/manatee-hurricanes-(bradenton,fl)/baseball/schedule.htm

That is amazing that a school that is so good at football is absolute garbage in baseball.

msstate7
04-02-2013, 11:01 AM
That is amazing that a school that is so good at football is absolute garbage in baseball.

Hopefully a year of losing most of his games in baseball will make football more attractive

AsphaltFunk
04-02-2013, 11:04 AM
So would we let him play both sports? I dont see why we wouldnt since the seasons dont interfere at all. He would have all summer to work on the play book, and as a quarterback im sure he would get as much training in the weight room during baseball as he needs. Fundamentals can be installed during his red shirt year, and with spring training im sure he could make two days a week, three maybe.

Political Hack
04-02-2013, 03:14 PM
Spring and summer throwing would be difficult.

Big4Dawg
04-02-2013, 03:18 PM
He's having a not-so-good senior year because everyone just walks him.

Todd4State
04-02-2013, 05:36 PM
Cord's brother or cousin, or someone in the family, is a MLB scout. He's got to have a pretty good idea of where he's being projected at this point. Seems like word would leak out one way or the other pretty soon as to where the teams have him on their boards. And I'm not talking about perfect game or any "experts". I'd like to know where the teams have him.

The MLB draft is so big it's really hard to get a good read. And then MLB does things to lowball players like tell them "hey, we think you are a fourth round pick player, so even though we drafted you in the 20th round, we're going to offer you fourth round money."

If people know who the first five picks are- it's a really deep year. Most experts and scouts can't agree on who the first pick of this years draft will be. Like last year, Carlos Correa was the first pick of the draft- most people thought he was going to go around pick 15.

Todd4State
04-02-2013, 05:42 PM
So would we let him play both sports? I dont see why we wouldnt since the seasons dont interfere at all. He would have all summer to work on the play book, and as a quarterback im sure he would get as much training in the weight room during baseball as he needs. Fundamentals can be installed during his red shirt year, and with spring training im sure he could make two days a week, three maybe.

Yes we would. Dan and Cohen get along very well. Cohen is a football fan too, so I think he would be more understanding than most baseball coaches would be. It's more up to Cord than it is the coaches. Cord is a CF if he plays for us, and him growing up in a baseball family would actually help offset some of the learning.

They would work something out.

engie
04-02-2013, 06:10 PM
The MLB draft is so big it's really hard to get a good read. And then MLB does things to lowball players like tell them "hey, we think you are a fourth round pick player, so even though we drafted you in the 20th round, we're going to offer you fourth round money."

Todd, important to note that my previous info on the new draft rules has been wrong. Picks after round 10 that are paid over $100k slot count against the first 10 round bonus pool. So, teams still can't drastically overpay in those rounds either...