PDA

View Full Version : Starter game 2

msstate7
06-24-2013, 11:07 PM
Who you think? I really wish lindgren was right bc he would be perfect. Unfortunately he isn't right

FlabLoser
06-24-2013, 11:10 PM
Can we go with Graveman/Ross?

msstate7
06-24-2013, 11:11 PM
More I think about it we have no choice

I seen it dawg
06-24-2013, 11:11 PM
Lindgren and Evan Mitchell are ****ing useless except to be ****ing clowns in the dugout. They may as well be double arm amputees. We start Graveman and follow with Ross. If we field ground balls tomorrow we should be in good shape and they won't score more than 1,2 runs. Graveman should be effective with his sinker.

msstate7
06-24-2013, 11:14 PM
Lindgren and Evan Mitchell are ****ing useless except to be ****ing clowns in the dugout. They may as well be double arm amputees. We start Graveman and follow with Ross. If we field ground balls tomorrow we should be in good shape and they won't score more than 1,2 runs. Graveman should be effective with his sinker.

With graveman going I want frost out there. I don't think we can sacrifice any defense against them. Detz has no range

CadaverDawg
06-24-2013, 11:30 PM
Gotta go Graveman/Ross, and then if we force a game 3 we start Bracewell and then have Pollo, Cox, Gentry, Lindgren, Holder, and whoever else hasn't been burned in game 1 or 2.

Todd4State
06-25-2013, 12:01 AM
Gotta go Graveman/Ross, and then if we force a game 3 we start Bracewell and then have Pollo, Cox, Gentry, Lindgren, Holder, and whoever else hasn't been burned in game 1 or 2.

I have a feeling he is going to start Pollorena if there is a game three.

Sandman14
06-25-2013, 12:17 AM
ya'll are giving me serious heartburn.

PLEASE let bracewell have a career outing and go 5 in game 3.

Lefthandersrule
06-25-2013, 12:35 AM

You sure know some baseball! Dumbass!

Lefthandersrule
06-25-2013, 12:39 AM
That's the big question. You really shouldn't go with Kendall because of the short rest but he's gonna want the ball. I think it's going to be "johnnywholestaff" as someone calls it. Then Kendall for the championship game Wednesday. The real problem is we have to find a way to get some two out hits and score runs. I don't think this team will beat us if we can jump out ahead first.

Todd4State
06-25-2013, 01:03 AM
That's the big question. You really shouldn't go with Kendall because of the short rest but he's gonna want the ball. I think it's going to be "johnnywholestaff" as someone calls it. Then Kendall for the championship game Wednesday. The real problem is we have to find a way to get some two out hits and score runs. I don't think this team will beat us if we can jump out ahead first.

I pitch Kendall tomorrow. I don't want to go through a championship round and not pitch my ace. Plus, Graveman only threw 74 pitches during his last outing.

Will James
06-25-2013, 01:27 AM
Its definitely KG/Ross tomorrow. Holder could log 3+ innings tomorrow. All the chips will be pushed to the middle of the table.

I think we win tomorrow, the only question is how much firepower will be needed.

HereComesTheSpiral
06-25-2013, 07:45 AM
I wish E Mitchell could have gotten his head on straight and throw a strike because this is the team we need him against. Hard throwing, in a stadium that eats fly balls, against a team that couldn't hit the water in the ocean.

Hump4Hoops
06-25-2013, 07:47 AM
Pollo could be surprisingly good for the 3rd game if we get there. Lefty who produces fly balls.

I seen it dawg
06-25-2013, 08:09 AM

Yeah you are prob right. We should prob go with a bunch of guys that haven't pitched meaningful innings in a month and HOPE they can keep us around in HOPES that we can get to our only real starting pitcher (and reliever who is 13-0) even though he has had 3 days rest from basically throwing an extended bullpen and him prob demanding he get the ball. Even with me not knowing shit about baseball I figured that one out.

Tomorrow's game is "johnnywholestaff" moron.

I seen it dawg
06-25-2013, 08:10 AM
I wish E Mitchell could have gotten his head on straight and throw a strike because this is the team we need him against. Hard throwing, in a stadium that eats fly balls, against a team that couldn't hit the water in the ocean.

I totally agree with this and it's frustrating that his main role along with Lindgren is to be Run MSU.

WeWillScrewItUp
06-25-2013, 08:18 AM
Pollo could be surprisingly good for the 3rd game if we get there. Lefty who produces fly balls.

I completely agree. Throw it up there and let them hit fly balls. We see how it worked out for them last night using that approach.

HereComesTheSpiral
06-25-2013, 09:03 AM
Is Cox an option? Seems like he gets a lot of fly balls and can put it down the middle.

Will James
06-25-2013, 09:19 AM
I have a question. To win this thing we HAVE to win both games. So "throwing Kendall to get to tomorrow" is pointless because both are absolute must win games. So I change my mind, since we absolutely HAVE TO win Kendall's start if like him to be fully rested when he makes that start.

I say let's go Wholestaff today and Kendall tomorrow.

sandwolf
06-25-2013, 09:30 AM

Thats what I have been thinking too.

I seen it dawg
06-25-2013, 10:54 AM
I have a question. To win this thing we HAVE to win both games. So "throwing Kendall to get to tomorrow" is pointless because both are absolute must win games. So I change my mind, since we absolutely HAVE TO win Kendall's start if like him to be fully rested when he makes that start.

Throwing him is not pointless. It's what you should do given the circumstance. He did nothing more than throw an extended bullpen and has 3 days rest. He won't be any more effective tomorrow than he will be today. If he had thrown 110 pitches then I might have a different opinion. 74 pitches with 3 days rest is not a big deal.

Sandman14
06-25-2013, 10:57 AM
I agree that we should save graveman. we should try to get ross mitchell and ben bracewell to combine for 6 innings and do whatever else is necessary to win. ross mitchell is our best pitcher by the numbers. I'd rather have him come in after bracewell starts and see how many innings he can give us.

but I'll defer to Cohens.

LiterallyPolice
06-25-2013, 11:59 AM

Your logic is sound, but I like Graveman matching up against their #2 pitcher. Also, I think a win in the second game gives us a pschological edge going into the 3rd game, even if a small one. And lastly, if graveman goes deep into this game and we can build a solid lead, we could possibly save R Mitchell for tomorrow.... which would be awesome.

I seen it dawg
06-25-2013, 12:39 PM
We have to somehow get to tomorrow to win the thing. We have to win tonite. If you get to play another game anything can happen. You have to give yourself the best chance to win today and you can't think about what's going to happen tomorrow. The saying "there is no tomorrow" was made up for a reason...there is no tomorrow. Graveman/Ross/Holder are by far the best 3 we have (obviously Girodo is unavailable) available and those 3 have to pitch us to victory today. Screw tomorrow. Worry about it after tonites game is over. Tomorrows game shouldn't even be in the discussion at this point.

Hump4Hoops
06-25-2013, 12:51 PM
It's not about getting Graveman in the best situation, it's trying to limit their runs against how many runs their pitcher will give up. If Graveman would give up 3 runs today but only 1 run tomorrow, whereas Pollo would give up 5 runs either day, and UCLA's pitcher gives up 4 runs today, and their Wednesday guy would give up 6 runs, then that's an example of why you pitch Graveman.

Simply put, UCLA is putting their best guy available out there today, so we have to follow suit.

LiterallyPolice
06-25-2013, 12:57 PM
We have to somehow get to tomorrow to win the thing. We have to win tonite. If you get to play another game anything can happen. You have to give yourself the best chance to win today and you can't think about what's going to happen tomorrow. The saying "there is no tomorrow" was made up for a reason...there is no tomorrow. Graveman/Ross/Holder are by far the best 3 we have (obviously Girodo is unavailable) available and those 3 have to pitch us to victory today. Screw tomorrow. Worry about it after tonites game is over. Tomorrows game shouldn't even be in the discussion at this point.

Uhhh.... no. "There is no tomorrow" doesn't apply here. In fact, we really hope there is a tomorrow.

We have to win 2 games. Winning 1 of the next 2 is the same as winning 0. Period.

I agree that pitching Graveman is the right call, but not for the reasons you mentioned.

I seen it dawg
06-25-2013, 01:03 PM
Maybe you didn't follow me...we have to do everything possible to win today. If we don't win today we don't get to play tomorrow. How was I incorrect in anything I said? All of this over analyzing and worrying about tomorrow is ludicrous. You can't coach thinking about tomorrow's game unless we build a big lead. Therefore "there is no tomorrow" as we sit right now.

Will James
06-25-2013, 01:10 PM
Uhhh.... no. "There is no tomorrow" doesn't apply here. In fact, we really hope there is a tomorrow.

We have to win 2 games. Winning 1 of the next 2 is the same as winning 0. Period.

+1

There is a tomorrow, a rather important tomorrow at that. In fact tomorrow is the most important game in MSU baseball history.

Obviously you have to win today, but I'm not sure a 3 day rested KG gives us the best chance to win it all.

LiterallyPolice
06-25-2013, 01:13 PM
Maybe you didn't follow me...we have to do everything possible to win today. If we don't win today we don't get to play tomorrow. How was I incorrect in anything I said? All of this over analyzing and worrying about tomorrow is ludicrous. You can't coach thinking about tomorrow's game unless we build a big lead. Therefore "there is no tomorrow" as we sit right now.

No, I followed you. You are saying "Do whatever it takes to win tonight, tomorrow be damned". I am saying "Do whatever maximizes your chance of winning both games". Those two statements are not equal, although in this case I think they both involve starting Graveman.

I'll give you a hypothetical to illustrate:

We are up 3 - 0 going into the 5th, and Graveman is spent (for whatever reason). We have to go to the bullpen. Who do we bring in?

If we want to maximize our chances of winning game 2, we bring in R Mitchell. If we want to maximize our chances of winning game 2 AND 3, we bring in someone like M Gentry and save Mitchell for tomorrow.

WeWillScrewItUp
06-25-2013, 01:14 PM
We win today we put the pressure on them. I sure would hate to lose the first two games of the championship series and have our best starter still sitting on the bench. We still have to get to tomorrow.

Sandman14
06-25-2013, 01:17 PM
after further consideration, I think you definitely put your best guy on the bump v. ucla's no. 2. no question about it. you hope you can get a lead so that kendall can go really deep, but you bring in ross mitchell without hesitation if you need to. you also go to holder in the 7th or 8th if it is necessary, and you let him go until he's no longer effective.

tomorrow you re-evaluate where you are with folks. I'm sure girado will be available for an inning or so. ross mitchell can always go an few innings. bracewell would be huge if he could give us 3 or 4.

Quaoarsking
06-25-2013, 01:18 PM
Is losing in 3 notably better than losing in 2, or are they equally bad?

Will James
06-25-2013, 01:19 PM
We could start Fitts tomorrow

I seen it dawg
06-25-2013, 01:22 PM
We don't win shit if we don't win tonite and KG and crew gives us by far the best chance to win. You mean to tell me you think some combination of Bracewell,Pollo, Cox, Myles gives us a better chance to win than starting a senior sinker baller who is the leader of the pitching staff on 3 days rest (which in theory should make him more effective-age old baseball thought), following him with 2 of our 3 best bullpen options? We are on different planets on this and I am quite happy about that. I don't get the thought process of thinking about tomorrow's game when if we don't win tonite there won't be one tomorrow.

LiterallyPolice
06-25-2013, 01:26 PM
Yeah, you know the more I think about it.... you may be on to something. Pitching Graveman and R Mitchell on the same day may be "putting all our eggs in one basket". I'm not entirely convinced, but I can see the logic with R Mitchell in long relief today and starting Graveman tomorrow.

EDIT: This is in response to Will, not I seen it dawg.

LiterallyPolice
06-25-2013, 01:33 PM
We don't win shit if we don't win tonite and KG and crew gives us by far the best chance to win. You mean to tell me you think some combination of Bracewell,Pollo, Cox, Myles gives us a better chance to win than starting a senior sinker baller who is the leader of the pitching staff on 3 days rest (which in theory should make him more effective-age old baseball thought), following him with 2 of our 3 best bullpen options? We are on different planets on this and I am quite happy about that. I don't get the thought process of thinking about tomorrow's game when if we don't win tonite there won't be one tomorrow.

You obviously aren't reading my posts. As I've said numerous times, I AGREE that starting Graveman is a solid move for Game 2, just not for the reasons you mentioned.

"I don't get the thought process of thinking about tomorrow's game when if we don't win tonite there won't be one tomorrow. " My response to this is the hypothetical situation I posed a few posts up. Read it. Respond. It's that simple.

I seen it dawg
06-25-2013, 01:34 PM
No, I followed you. You are saying "Do whatever it takes to win tonight, tomorrow be damned". I am saying "Do whatever maximizes your chance of winning both games". Those two statements are not equal, although in this case I think they both involve starting Graveman.

I'll give you a hypothetical to illustrate:

We are up 3 - 0 going into the 5th, and Graveman is spent (for whatever reason). We have to go to the bullpen. Who do we bring in?

If we want to maximize our chances of winning game 2, we bring in R Mitchell. If we want to maximize our chances of winning game 2 AND 3, we bring in someone like M Gentry and save Mitchell for tomorrow.

I agree. I've been saying start Graveman which is where this whole thing started. You have to anticipate a tight game so you anticipate bringing Ross and Holder. Now if we explode and get some runs I absolutely would love to save Ross and Holder, use other guys, and bring back Fitts to start tomorrow (Will). That's in game coaching that you don't consider when talking about who to start and who gives us the best chance to win today.

Deciding who to start today and the in game decisions on the bullpen are mutually exclusive. 2 different topics.

Sandman14
06-25-2013, 01:35 PM
its not putting all your eggs in one basket because everyone is available tomorrow except kendall graveman. on the final game of the national championship, everyone is available.

I seen it dawg
06-25-2013, 01:38 PM

And you apparently didn't read my post Literallypolice...

LiterallyPolice
06-25-2013, 01:49 PM
And you apparently didn't read my post Literallypolice...

Ok, let's just agree to disagree on this one. I think we've both said our piece.

I seen it dawg
06-25-2013, 01:54 PM
That we can agree on

Will James
06-25-2013, 05:27 PM
It's Pollorena.

Good.

Quaoarsking
06-25-2013, 05:30 PM
I think saving Graveman for tomorrow slightly increases our chance of being national champion, even if it also increases the chance of losing today.

I don't give a damn if it's 2-0 or 2-1 if we don't win the series, so I like it.

Will James
06-25-2013, 05:35 PM
I think saving Graveman for tomorrow slightly increases our chance of being national champion, even if it also increases the chance of losing today.

I don't give a damn if it's 2-0 or 2-1 if we don't win the series, so I like it.

Agreed. The only thing that matters is winning it all.

I seen it dawg
06-25-2013, 05:41 PM
I think it's high risk high reward. Or if its a case of being prepared to bring KG out of the pen in the first it might be worth a gamble.

I hope it ****ing works and ill be pulling for the little ****er but I think we should go Graveman. One thing I won't do is come on here after if it doesn't work and blast Cohen. I've said my peace on it already. And I'll be the first to praise the move if it works and we can have KG for game 3.

Dallas_Dawg
06-25-2013, 05:50 PM
Pollo is a gritty little ****er, this is the biggest game of his life. Time to nut up

WeWillScrewItUp
06-25-2013, 06:23 PM
I was hoping to see Graveman tonight but Pollo isn't a bad option, especially in this park.

Saltydog
06-25-2013, 06:48 PM
kill walks and mistakes.

WeWillScrewItUp
06-25-2013, 06:58 PM
Salty I would agree if Lindgren hadn't become a headcase. I'm hoping the feistiness of Pollo will come out tonight and he throws his best game ever.