PDA

View Full Version : Ref, Slick- what say ye on the weather for baseball?

Coach34
02-21-2015, 09:00 AM
I want my boys to see Bulldog Baseball also today if possible

Bully13
02-21-2015, 09:30 AM
hey ref, once you get thru replying to 34, could you give me your thoughts about fort worth Sunday evening thru Monday afternoon? I find it interesting that the temps will be in the mid 20's and they say freezing rain and sleet mostly. I've heard about times when the upper atmosphere where the precip develops can be warmer but doesn't that sound like too much of a disparity between the upper atmosphere and ground temps for that stuff to not come down as anything but snow?

Bully13
02-21-2015, 09:31 AM
here's the link, forgot to post

http://www.weather.com/weather/alerts/localalerts/l/76131:4:US?phenomena=WS&significance=A&areaid=TXZ118&office=KFWD&etn=0001&tid=449591

TheRef
02-21-2015, 12:44 PM
Sorry about the delayed reply, Coach. My honest assessment is that we will get the first game in against Alabama A&M, but wewill have a rain shortened game vs. Marshall. A line of storms is pushing in from the East, and this will drive the decision of whether or not to shorten the game. We will have scattered storms beforehand, which may effect the end of the Alabama A&M game and the beginning of the Marshall game.

TheRef
02-21-2015, 01:32 PM
hey ref, once you get thru replying to 34, could you give me your thoughts about fort worth Sunday evening thru Monday afternoon? I find it interesting that the temps will be in the mid 20's and they say freezing rain and sleet mostly. I've heard about times when the upper atmosphere where the precip develops can be warmer but doesn't that sound like too much of a disparity between the upper atmosphere and ground temps for that stuff to not come down as anything but snow?

So here is how freezing rain/sleet develops. So looking at a vertical profile of the atmosphere, usually in the form of a Skew-T sounding, you look at the temperature as the height increases. For snow, you want the temperature to stay below freezing throughout the whole thing in order to have snow. For sleet, you want what we call a partial melt. That means at least 1 ?C warming for less than 1000 feet, generally. If it's warmer, you won't need as thick of a layer. If it's colder, then you will need a much thicker layer. For freezing rain you need a "full melt" which is either warmer or a thicker warm layer in the atmosphere for the water droplet to fall through.

With the forecast for freezing rain/sleet, it means that we're on that borderline area for the temperature inversion. Honestly, I believe them on this one.