PDA

View Full Version : Quick Game Breakdown...

CadaverDawg
06-24-2013, 11:04 PM
First off, like I've said all CWS, you can't **** up and expect to keep beating good teams. Ammo killed us tonight by not blocking up the strike out and then throwing the damn ball away. He hit the ball hard a few times, but did nothing overall to help. He is a total liability right now...he can't hit, can't throw runners out (until the game is in hand), he can't frame pitches, and he sure as **** can't run if he ever gets on base.

Second, thanks for showing up tonight Frazier, Renfroe, and Rea. You guys picked a hell of a night to quit acting like leaders out there. Frazier's approach at the plate was horrible all night and he never adjusted. Renfroe knew he didn't need to hit the ball in the air but he had a selfish plate approach and tried to kill everything. And Wes Rea looked more overmatched than I've seen him look this year.

Henderson. I love you bro, but you have got to get that ****ing bunt down. That was the nail in the coffin when he did that shit. Just horrible not to be able to bunt those runners over. Hell I would have rather him tried to bunt with 2 strikes than to hit into a DP.

Cohen, what the **** were you thinking pinch running for Porter in the 7th? His run meant nothing, and he was THE ONLY ONE ripping the damn ball....you don't take that out of your lineup early in the game when he's not even the tying run. Boneheaded.

Cohen, what the **** were you thinking pinch hitting Jacob Robson, a freshman, that hasn't hit in 2 months, against the best ****ing closer in the nation, in the 9th inning of the Championship game with 2 outs??? Think about all the things I just said above and name one good reason that that was a good decision...there isn't one, trust me. Idiotic.

Hats off to UCLA. They pitch well, they defend well, and they do NOTHING to beat themselves. They don't commit dumb ass errors like we do, and they don't walk leadoff guys like we do. They were better than us tonight and deserved to win.

We still have a chance to rise to the occasion. Unfortunately, their pitcher tomorrow night is as good as Plutko, and we have wasted our best pitcher of late. If we find a way to win this series I will be shocked, but we will have definitely earned it if we win. I truly think that if we quit walking leadoff guys, and don't make errors (Ammo), we can force a game 3 where anything can happen. But if Frazier, Renfroe and Rea don't decide to adjust and make an impact...it's on to football season, and it's no different than the Final Four or the SEC Football Championship...just another big game we made it to as a program but couldn't win. And the sad part is that in all of those games we have beaten ourselves just as much as our opponent has beaten us.

I'll be glued to the tube and pulling hard either way, and maybe we can pull off the miracle. HailState.

ETA: Guess that wasn't such a "quick" breakdown after all. Sorry.

DownwardDawg
06-24-2013, 11:11 PM
Good breakdown. I enjoyed it. We can beat these guys. We've got to be way more patient at the plate, especially Renfroe and Rea. CT looked good tonight. He was patient and had a couple really good at bats.

Sandman14
06-24-2013, 11:11 PM
I can promise you cohen didn't want robson up there. but lefties are .280 or something v. that closer. by making the questionable move to pinch hit for porter, that's what you had left.

with you on frazier, rea and renfroe. if we don't get production out of those three, we will lose. simple as that.

this wasn't about cohen's decisions, though. it was about our best batters not doing a damn thing, and us giving up a bunch of unearned runs. that's all it was about. nothing more.

I seen it dawg
06-24-2013, 11:13 PM
We didn't execute worth a shit.

maroonmania
06-24-2013, 11:16 PM
I can promise you cohen didn't want robson up there. but lefties are .280 or something v. that closer. by making the questionable move to pinch hit for porter, that's what you had left.

with you on frazier, rea and renfroe. if we don't get production out of those three, we will lose. simple as that.

this wasn't about cohen's decisions, though. it was about our best batters not doing a damn thing, and us giving up a bunch of unearned runs. that's all it was about. nothing more.

Well I bet hitters that have a .208 average aren't batting .280 against him. Putting a freshman that hasn't really hit well into that situation was not the way to go. Something you have to look at more than just the matchup.

Sandman14
06-24-2013, 11:18 PM
yeah but that's not how cohen plays the game. and it's because of cohen that we are here. so you can sit there and micro analyze his decisions in a loss, but he's a top 5 college baseball coach in the nation. he's forgotten more than everone on here combined ever knew. maybe he had a hunch. maybe robson has been looking good in the cage. hell I dont' know. I just know that if not for cohen's decisions, this team would never be in the title game.

Todd4State
06-24-2013, 11:29 PM
I just don't understand WHY we go away from the approach that is successful for us. Especially now. We did the SAME thing against Central Arkansas and lost in the regional. Actually, a lot of the times we lose that's why. I don't know why we get away from what we are sometimes.

Great post Cadaver- I agree with everything that you typed.

Todd4State
06-24-2013, 11:31 PM
yeah but that's not how cohen plays the game. and it's because of cohen that we are here. so you can sit there and micro analyze his decisions in a loss, but he's a top 5 college baseball coach in the nation. he's forgotten more than everone on here combined ever knew. maybe he had a hunch. maybe robson has been looking good in the cage. hell I dont' know. I just know that if not for cohen's decisions, this team would never be in the title game.

Cohen make a lot more good decisions than bad. The good ones don't get pointed out a lot of times. But, that said- good coaches make mistakes and bad decisions from time to time as well- heck, I remember Tony LaRussa bringing in the wrong pitcher during the World freaking Series one time.

Todd4State
06-24-2013, 11:34 PM
Well, now that I re-read the post- I will say this about Robson. Left handed hitters hit submarine guys better for whatever reason. Plus, Robson has made some clutch hits at the end of the year, and like others said he was all that was available. Knowing that, and knowing that Porter was out of the game- Robson was the guy I would rather have up there over Demarcus.

State82
06-24-2013, 11:37 PM
I can't add any more to what CD said. That pretty much nails it down. They are ranked 263 in BA out of 296 teams in D1. But the way they play the game, as I have told several folks the last few days, we will have to play a perfect game to win. They may be the best coached team in college baseball. You can't hang with that unless you are perfect. And we are not.

Sandman14
06-24-2013, 11:37 PM
I just don't understand WHY we go away from the approach that is successful for us. Especially now. We did the SAME thing against Central Arkansas and lost in the regional. Actually, a lot of the times we lose that's why. I don't know why we get away from what we are sometimes.

I agree, and the reason is that these are kids. we are more dynamic than ucla, though, and we can definitely turn this.

msstate7
06-24-2013, 11:38 PM
Well, now that I re-read the post- I will say this about Robson. Left handed hitters hit submarine guys better for whatever reason. Plus, Robson has made some clutch hits at the end of the year, and like others said he was all that was available. Knowing that, and knowing that Porter was out of the game- Robson was the guy I would rather have up there over Demarcus.

If you don't pinch run for porter, porter hits in 9th and you pinch hit frost for hendo. Hindsight = 20/20 though. Graveman gonna come through and force game 3

Sandman14
06-24-2013, 11:42 PM
If you don't pinch run for porter, porter hits in 9th and you pinch hit frost for hendo. Hindsight = 20/20 though. Graveman gonna come through and force game 3

YES. this is how cohen's moves should be viewed. we can sit here an discuss them, but to act like cohen is an idiot is absurd.

and yes, Graveman is going to be the leader we need him to be tomorrow.

and frankly, this was ucla's best chance to beat us. they had their ace going, and we did not have our first unit. girado has been amazing lately, but our first unit is graveman to ross mitchell to holder. because ucla had their ace going, this was their game to win. had they lost tonight, it was lights out. as it stands, we should be a bette than 60% favorite tomorrow and then anything goes in game 3.

Todd4State
06-24-2013, 11:47 PM

True. I feel like if you are going to pinch run, you might as well at least try to steal a base.

Sandman14
06-24-2013, 11:49 PM
I feel like if you are going to pinch run, you might as well at least try to steal a base.

I agree with that 100%. armstrong should have been stealing if you bring him in there.

msstate7
06-24-2013, 11:55 PM
I agree with that 100%. armstrong should have been stealing if you bring him in there.

Esp since their catcher is horrible holding runners.

I seen it dawg
06-25-2013, 12:01 AM
YES. this is how cohen's moves should be viewed. we can sit here an discuss them, but to act like cohen is an idiot is absurd.

and yes, Graveman is going to be the leader we need him to be tomorrow.

and frankly, this was ucla's best chance to beat us. they had their ace going, and we did not have our first unit. girado has been amazing lately, but our first unit is graveman to ross mitchell to holder. because ucla had their ace going, this was their game to win. had they lost tonight, it was lights out. as it stands, we should be a bette than 60% favorite tomorrow and then anything goes in game 3.

You sure you're not reading the pack and then replying over here? I don't think anyone is calling Cohen an idiot or blasting him. He made one questionable move that got dissected but I don't think it is an issue where he just hosed us. Simmer the **** down on railing on everyone for people "acting like Cohen is an idiot". You are way off the reservation there.

Sandman14
06-25-2013, 12:15 AM
sorry. sorry. dammit I'm furious we lost the baseball game.