PDA

View Full Version : I can't wait until we get healthy

Todd4State
02-20-2015, 08:42 PM
Hopefully the baseball gods will give us a break for once during Cohen's tenure and we will see:

C- Collins, although Lovelady has emerged as the back up.
1B- Rea hitting behind Robson.
2B- Gridley. Really like him a lot. Brett Pirtle 2.0
3B- Matt Spruill. Britton isn't handling the competition very well.
SS- Heck
LF- Humphreys
CF- Robson
RF- Smith
DH- Holland I guess, but I really like Rooker

Now we just have to figure out our rotation, and playing Alabama A&M isn't going to tell us much.

Dawg496
02-20-2015, 08:51 PM
Damn if Preston can just give us 6 every week and a second starter can emerge, this will be Cohen's best team. You can tell we are very talented everywhere on the field.

Todd4State
02-20-2015, 08:54 PM
Yeah- and I think that second starter is Laster. Biggest thing I disagree with him right now on is Sexton over Tatum. Our bullpen is strong so it's not imperative that we get 7-9 every night.

Dawg496
02-20-2015, 09:08 PM
You'd rather Tatum start? He's a major part of the reason that the pen is so strong as you alluded to.

smootness
02-20-2015, 09:12 PM
Holland is going to play, and I can't imagine it will be at DH.

I think he'll play over Gridley or Spruill/Reynolds, depending on who performs better among those. But Holland is going to play; he's too good not to.

I think on most days, you'll see:

C - Collins
1B - Rea
2B - Holland
SS - Heck
3B - Reynolds/Spruill
LF - Vickerson/Brown
CF - Robson
RF - Smith
DH - Humphreys

And on days when Humphreys plays LF, I think you'll see Rooker DH.

I do hope that Holland and Gridley both play, though, and Reynolds and Spruill don't see as much time.

The key to this team is going to be the fact that there are no easy outs in the lineup; everybody can hit. That's far more important than having a couple of huge studs.

MsStateBaseball
02-20-2015, 09:15 PM
Gridley is good, starter next year. But against Florida and South Carolina, I'm going w Holland at 2B. SEC is a war.

Ralph
02-20-2015, 09:21 PM
I can't see Holland not playing defense. He's too good.

preachermatt83
02-20-2015, 09:36 PM
I can't see Holland not playing defense. He's too good.

As long as it's not first base eh?

preachermatt83
02-20-2015, 09:39 PM
You'd rather Tatum start? He's a major part of the reason that the pen is so strong as you alluded to.

Absolutely Tatum should be a weekend starter. No question. The pen will be fine with Sexton, brown, Hudson, Houston, Ross, and fitts.

smootness
02-20-2015, 09:41 PM
I think Daniel Brown will be the shut-down guy out of the pen. How does Cohen find these guys?

msstate7
02-20-2015, 09:41 PM
I'm ready to see Paul young

Todd4State
02-20-2015, 10:13 PM

Yes. I think he can give us six and save the pen rather than someone giving up a couple of runs by the second or third inning before we shut them down.

Todd4State
02-20-2015, 10:14 PM
We have good problems if we're talking about guys like Holland and Brown on the bench,

messageboardsuperhero
02-20-2015, 10:15 PM
Totally agree. I think the injuries have made us a little vulnerable right now, but when we get Collins, Smith, and Rea healthy and locked in- our offense is going to be deep and tough to navigate 1-9... To think that Michael Smith may have to hit in the bottom 1/3 of the order is exciting. The only position I've been disappointed with is 3rd base. Austin Riley could start for us right now if he was here.

Lovelady is doing great for us right now and will be a very servicable backup for the next two years behind Collins.

And add Paul Young to the mix? He could make our staff much better. Basically, we've been pretty solid so far, IMO- but our ceiling is much much higher than what we've seen thus far.

messageboardsuperhero
02-20-2015, 10:17 PM
One thing I totally didn't understand with the lineup today was starting Vickerson over Cody Brown... Brown is clearly the better player IMO, and both bat from the left side.

Todd4State
02-20-2015, 10:21 PM
Austin Riley will start for us next year if he comes to school.

Todd4State
02-20-2015, 10:22 PM
One thing I totally didn't understand with the lineup today was starting Vickerson over Cody Brown... Brown is clearly the better player IMO, and both bat from the left side.

Vickerson's day was just as rough as Britton IMO. Taking called strikes and giving away at bats until Rooker came in and bailed him out.

smootness
02-20-2015, 10:25 PM

If there is a difference between the two, it's fairly negligible.

Their numbers were similar last year, and Vickerson ended the year playing very well. I don't really care which one we play, they both are pretty good players who bring some good things to the table.

Todd4State
02-20-2015, 10:25 PM
Let me amend a thought about Tatum. If Sexton does well next week against Samford, I would be all for a rotation of Preston, Tatum, and Sexton with Laster in the bullpen.

BiscuitEater
02-20-2015, 10:36 PM
Cohan has the chance to get players some time to get comfortable so they can contribute later if needed. Win-win situation. Gridley and Spruill looked good out there.

ScottH
02-20-2015, 10:47 PM
The fact that we are able to bench two starters (Britton and Vickerson) from the regional AND still squabble over a starting 8 tells me all I need to know about the talent on this team.

Homedawg
02-20-2015, 10:50 PM
Let me amend a thought about Tatum. If Sexton does well next week against Samford, I would be all for a rotation of Preston, Tatum, and Sexton with Laster in the bullpen.

I don't like laster in the pen at all....I want a guy coming from the pen that commands the zone in a jam. That's not him. Or hasn't been for a year plus. He's sporadic....and it changes from inning to innong at this point. Also, Tatum has way more swing and miss stuff, which is great anytime, but even more important from the pen.

Smitty
02-20-2015, 11:07 PM
I think Daniel Brown will be the shut-down guy out of the pen. How does Cohen find these guys?

He's very good at it. Tons of solid connections. Leaves no stone unturned.

Todd4State
02-20-2015, 11:22 PM
I don't like laster in the pen at all....I want a guy coming from the pen that commands the zone in a jam. That's not him. Or hasn't been for a year plus. He's sporadic....and it changes from inning to innong at this point. Also, Tatum has way more swing and miss stuff, which is great anytime, but even more important from the pen.

He came out of the bullpen exclusively in the Cape Cod League and was respectable with 20 K's and 6 walks in 21+ ip. He did allow 23 hits and his ERA was 2.90 so he wasn't dominant either. I think it might be worth a look. Plus, I'd like to have Tatum's swing and miss stuff over 7 IP rather than 3-5.

engie
02-20-2015, 11:29 PM
At what point do you have to give either Gridley or Holland a look at 3B -- at least in practice anyway? Thusfar, it's been the softest spot, although I think some of that is just an adjustment period. As of today, with a healthy team, there is no way to get all of the bats into the lineup that I want there...

Todd4State
02-20-2015, 11:47 PM
Between Gridley and Holland, I would definitely prefer Holland at third.

preachermatt83
02-20-2015, 11:53 PM
what is it you guys don't like about Spruill. Have you looked at his AB's? They have been pretty impressive. And the error he made was WAY more on having Holland playing 1st than it was to do with Spruill .

Todd4State
02-21-2015, 12:01 AM
what is it you guys don't like about Spruill. Have you looked at his AB's? They have been pretty impressive. And the error he made was WAY more on having Holland playing 1st than it was to do with Spruill .

While he has been better than Britton, he hasn't distanced himself from the pack either. It's definitely still a battle and if history means anything, I wouldn't bet against Britton.

Statistically, Reynolds whom you don't like has the best of the three right now in pretty much every category. Although he hasn't distanced himself either.

KB21
02-21-2015, 12:35 AM
He came out of the bullpen exclusively in the Cape Cod League and was respectable with 20 K's and 6 walks in 21+ ip. He did allow 23 hits and his ERA was 2.90 so he wasn't dominant either. I think it might be worth a look. Plus, I'd like to have Tatum's swing and miss stuff over 7 IP rather than 3-5.

Thing is, can Tatum give you 7 innings considering how little he pitched last year? That would be a big jump in his overall workload.

War Machine Dawg
02-21-2015, 01:14 AM
You cray if you want Holland to sit. The kid is a badass. If anything, I wish we'd move him over to short where his arm would have a bigger impact. Gridley can play in the midweek. But there's no way in hell we should even contemplate starting him over Holland in SEC play unless Holland goes completely in the tank. And considering how good he was at FSU, I'm willing to bet we don't have to worry about that happening.

Ralph
02-21-2015, 01:50 AM
As long as it's not first base eh?

Haha, correct. He needs to be at 2B.

Ralph
02-21-2015, 01:55 AM
I wonder why C Gordon hasn't played in relief of Rea at 1B? I know he's more of a pitcher, but he's also listed at 1B. Just curious why move Holland there and not Gordon if its only till Wes is healthy.

RiverCityDawg
02-21-2015, 09:19 AM
At what point do you have to give either Gridley or Holland a look at 3B -- at least in practice anyway?

My thoughts too. I don't want to give up on Reynolds just yet, but Holland at third seems to make a lot of sense.

I seen it dawg
02-21-2015, 09:55 AM
Britton and Vick have been passed by because of talent. They aren't better than the younger guys.

Collins, Rea, Holland, Heck, Gridley/Reynolds, Hump/Brown, Robson, Smith, Hump/Rooker/Reynolds I could see being our post season regulars.

Intramural All-American
02-21-2015, 10:06 AM
I wonder why C Gordon hasn't played in relief of Rea at 1B? I know he's more of a pitcher, but he's also listed at 1B. Just curious why move Holland there and not Gordon if its only till Wes is healthy.

I think its because so far Gridley has earned his rite to stay in the lineup, so Cohen is going to let him stay in while he is hot. But he also knows that he needs Holland in the lineup because he will be an everyday player for us, so he needs as many ABs as possible.

engie
02-21-2015, 10:25 AM
If we don't see Gordon by the end of the weekend -- reading between the lines -- he's either banged up or Cohen is planning to redshirt him IMO...

maroonmania
02-21-2015, 10:54 AM
Absolutely Tatum should be a weekend starter. No question. The pen will be fine with Sexton, brown, Hudson, Houston, Ross, and fitts.

Problem is all of those guys are right handers. Cohen is not going to have a bullpen without at least one very reliable left hander.

mic
02-21-2015, 11:03 AM
When SEC play starts these 7 should be automatic ... With the final 3 to battle for..
Heck
Holland
Rea
Collins
Hump
Robson
Smith

PMDawg
02-21-2015, 11:19 AM
Is it too much to ask of Ross to relieve on Fridays and start on Sundays? Probably yes, but that would be nice.

preachermatt83
02-21-2015, 12:16 PM
Problem is all of those guys are right handers. Cohen is not going to have a bullpen without at least one very reliable left hander.

Brown is a lefty.. and a nasty one at that.

preachermatt83
02-21-2015, 12:19 PM
While he has been better than Britton, he hasn't distanced himself from the pack either. It's definitely still a battle and if history means anything, I wouldn't bet against Britton.

Statistically, Reynolds whom you don't like has the best of the three right now in pretty much every category. Although he hasn't distanced himself either.

I don't dislike Reynolds... He is from my hometown.. I know his family.. Im pulling for him hard and he is the best defensively perhaps but at the plate look at his numbers. They are atrocious. So is Britton.. The one who is hitting is the one I'm playing... SPRUILL!

engie
02-21-2015, 12:41 PM
I don't dislike Reynolds... He is from my hometown.. I know his family.. Im pulling for him hard and he is the best defensively perhaps but at the plate look at his numbers. They are atrocious. So is Britton.. The one who is hitting is the one I'm playing... SPRUILL!

Spruill has one infield single thusfar.

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20150221-7dkv-64kb.jpg (http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/20150221-7dkv-64kb)

All other things equal -- these two statlines prettymuch tell the story IMO. At least in terms of power potential....

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20150221-qq1k-25kb.jpg (http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/20150221-qq1k-25kb)

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20150221-pj0t-28kb.jpg (http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/20150221-pj0t-28kb)

engie
02-21-2015, 12:42 PM
Gavin Collins going thru defensive warmups today. Must be getting really close....

smootness
02-21-2015, 01:12 PM
Yeah, preacher, I'm not sure what you're looking at. Spruill hasn't hit at all.

Todd4State
02-21-2015, 06:30 PM
Thing is, can Tatum give you 7 innings considering how little he pitched last year? That would be a big jump in his overall workload.

I think he would be fine. He pitched in California this past summer and he would have six days of rest between starts.