PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Game Fields--baseball

MsStateBaseball
02-20-2015, 04:15 PM
If you haven't noticed PG has opened their complex in Georgia to teams who can't play bc of the weather. I think this may have set a precedent. I bet the PG folks are saying to themselves, Man, we could put on a college baseball tournament in February every year. There are no rain outs bc each field is rubber. They are not supposed to wear metal spikes but they are this weekend.

Anyway, something to look at in the future.

Todd4State
02-20-2015, 04:29 PM
Turner Field will soon be vacant...

ShotgunDawg
02-20-2015, 11:37 PM
Perfect Game blows, but has the baseball industry by the balls.

The problem with PG is that they don't give anything back to the game. Baseball participation among young people has dropped roughly 17% in the past 5 years. PG isn't obviously the only ones to blame for that, but they've helped make baseball an expensive suburban sport without giving back in the form promoting the game in lower income areas.

The problem is that baseball is a "Skill Sport" that is played better and is more fun to watch when played by really good athletes. When the price of baseball goes up, many really good athletes can no longer afford to pay for lessons or attend the "select" tournaments that enable them to be seen or further develop their "skill level"

PG is making money hand over fist but isn't promoting the growth of the game. Instead they've become a one stop shop for college coaches to recruit.

Todd4State
02-20-2015, 11:45 PM
Hence why MLB is making a futile attempt with R.B.I. But they're trying.

shoeless joe
02-21-2015, 10:58 AM
Baseball has turned into a money sport. Almost as bad as golf. Low income kids can't really get ahead unless they're unbelievably raw and have that one uncoachable trait...speed. I see it everyday. If some of the kids that I coach had the same level of instruction as I did as a 6-14 yr old, they would be top players. But instead they show up to a junior high program and have to be taught almost everything about the game. Huge skill set but very little experience.

Contrast with the other 2 big sports and it's pretty on joys why baseball is lacking in that area. A fast kid in football is fast all the time and can out run the guy with the ball or out run everybody while carrying it. A fast kid in baseball means nothing if they can't hit a curve.