PDA

View Full Version : Travis Chapman--baseball

MsStateBaseball
02-20-2015, 02:14 PM
Chapman, a native of Jacksonville, Fla., begins his first season with Charleston and his third as a coach in the Yankees system. He made his managerial debut in 2014, leading the GCL Yankees to the best record in the Northwest Division (38-22). Chapman made his professional coaching debut in 2013 as a coach for the GCL Yankees, helping lead the club to a 36-24 (.600) record and a first-place finish in the Northeast Division. As a player, Chapman was originally selected by the Philadelphia Phillies in the 17th round of the 2000 First-Year Player Draft. He played in 506 combined minor league games over seven seasons with the Philadelphia (2000-03), Kansas City (2004), Cincinnati (2005) and Pittsburgh (2006) organizations and hit .286 (506-for-1,771) with 227 runs, 117 doubles, 41 home runs and 286 RBI, mostly at third base. He attended Mississippi State University from 1997-2000, where he set the school's career records for doubles (71), sacrifice flies (22) and hit-by-pitches (44), as well as the single-season hit-by-pitches record (19).

He is defensive coach for the Charleston RiverDogs of the Sally League. The article I read, the Yankees really like him. He managed one of the GCL teams last year and had the best record in the league. Let's hope he is on the fast track to higher coaching duties.

MsStateBaseball
02-20-2015, 02:17 PM
He was called up by the Phillies in September one year and had 1 at bat. One measly at bat in the big leagues.

smootness
02-20-2015, 02:25 PM
His numbers in the minors look good, but a I guess back then they weren't as impressive.

It's strange that he was moved through the organization so slowly. Usually college draftees are moved quickly if they perform at all. He was pretty good every step of the way but was already 25 by the time he got a look at AAA.

Todd4State
02-20-2015, 02:26 PM
I saw his at bat on tv too- they were playing the Braves. There is a chance that he could be on the same team as Holder this year.

Chapman might end up following another MSU alum that managed with the Yankees- Buck Showalter.

Todd4State
02-20-2015, 02:29 PM
His numbers in the minors look good, but a I guess back then they weren't as impressive.

It's strange that he was moved through the organization so slowly. Usually college draftees are moved quickly if they perform at all. He was pretty good every step of the way but was already 25 by the time he got a look at AAA.

The Phillies had a couple of young guys named Utley and Rollins at that time too. Plus that was a more power hitter laden time.

smootness
02-20-2015, 02:55 PM
The Phillies had a couple of young guys named Utley and Rollins at that time too. Plus that was a more power hitter laden time.

Rollins was already in the minors, and Chapman and Utley played different positions.

In fact, they were both drafted the same year and both played in low A the first year with comparable numbers. They were both promoted to high A the next year, and Chapman actually hit better, albeit with less power. But the following year, Utley went straight to AAA while Chapman moved to AA. Chapman hit extremely well in AA, and his power numbers caught up to Utley's. Then in 2003 Utley stayed in AAA while Chapman was bumped up to the same level, and Utley hit much better.

The difference in the two was solely attributed to BA, though, and there was reason to believe Utley's BA that year was a fluke.

Utley was promoted to the majors the following year while Chapman was traded to the Royals, who inexplicably demoted him to A again (Chapman had hit decently in AAA), and he didn't even see AA again until 3 years later before retiring.

What a strange progression. Did he have a devastating injury at some point?

Todd4State
02-20-2015, 03:09 PM
Rollins was already in the minors, and Chapman and Utley played different positions.

In fact, they were both drafted the same year and both played in low A the first year with comparable numbers. They were both promoted to high A the next year, and Chapman actually hit better, albeit with less power. But the following year, Utley went straight to AAA while Chapman moved to AA. Chapman hit extremely well in AA, and his power numbers caught up to Utley's. Then in 2003 Utley stayed in AAA while Chapman was bumped up to the same level, and Utley hit much better.

The difference in the two was solely attributed to BA, though, and there was reason to believe Utley's BA that year was a fluke.

Utley was promoted to the majors the following year while Chapman was traded to the Royals, who inexplicably demoted him to A again (Chapman had hit decently in AAA), and he didn't even see AAA again until 3 years later before retiring.

What a strange progression. Did he have a devastating injury at some point?. Now that you mention it, I think he did but I can't remember what it was. I want to say it was a concussion or a broken leg.

bulldogcountry1
02-20-2015, 04:13 PM
I think he broke his leg, and it took him a while to get back to where he was before.

He's probably one of my all-time favorite bulldogs. I remember that he had Guns 'n Roses for his walk-out song.

smootness
02-20-2015, 04:15 PM
That stinks. He looked like a guy who definitely had the makings of a major-leaguer. He wasn't the same post-2003.

paco
02-20-2015, 08:53 PM
That is correct, MSBaseball. He poped out to the second baseman.

paco
02-20-2015, 08:55 PM
Travis got hurt between the Phils and Royals. I don't recall the injury. Hopefully Travis will have a long successful career managing. He is a class act.

Todd4State
02-20-2015, 08:55 PM
That stinks. He looked like a guy who definitely had the makings of a major-leaguer. He wasn't the same post-2003.

As far as I'm concerned he was a major leaguer even if it was one at bat.

HSVDawg
02-20-2015, 09:22 PM
[QUOTE=bulldogcountry1;335327He's probably one of my all-time favorite bulldogs. I remember that he had Guns 'n Roses for his walk-out song.[/QUOTE]

Mine too. I remember in 97 he was the lankiest freshmen you ever saw, still led the team in hitting most of the year and was over .400 the majority of that time. And in the Regional Final against Maineiri and Notre Dame at Dudy Noble, everyone remembers Ty Martin's game winning HR in the bottom of the 9th. But the one I never forget is Chapman's 3-run shot in the bottom of the 8th that put us ahead after scraping and clawing from behind all game. He was a clutch player if there ever was one.

When thinking of my all time favorite baseball Bulldogs, its Burke Masters, Travis Chapman, and everybody else.

shoeless joe
02-20-2015, 09:24 PM
I loved chapman while he was here. If not for the maniscalco I drop he woulda been the regional hero vs ND...thanks The Lord for Ty Martin. But he was passed over for utley because utley was better. If chapman woulda made a good major leaguer than he would have played there. Nonetheless one of my favorite dogs and one of the classic jim Ellis names...and on the same team with lotterhoss!!! Anyone who can do a Jim impression worth a damn loved those guys!

Bigedawg
02-20-2015, 10:15 PM
Good Bulldogs in the Yankees organization. Lindgren, Holder, Chapman, Pat McMahon, and Marcus Thames. Marcus never wore the Maroon and White but is definitely a Dawg. Marcus is hitting coach in AAA and will be a coach in the majors next year, at the latest.

dickiedawg
02-20-2015, 10:24 PM
Chapman was my favorite player as a kid. Glad to see him having success.

shoeless joe
02-20-2015, 10:46 PM
Good Bulldogs in the Yankees organization. Lindgren, Holder, Chapman, Pat McMahon, and Marcus Thames. Marcus never wore the Maroon and White but is definitely a Dawg. Marcus is hitting coach in AAA and will be a coach in the majors next year, at the latest.

I didn't know that about Marcus. I used to spend a decent amount of time with him and I do find it funny that he is a hitting coach. Dude could rake and had ridiculously fast hands but he had a bit of a different mechanical approach with his hands. Glad he's doin good for hisself and hope he continues.