PDA

View Full Version : It's been a fun ride, but this is UCLA's year......

Goat Holder
06-24-2013, 10:50 PM
They are way too damn solid. They make EVERY play. This series is over.

ChevChelios
06-24-2013, 10:51 PM
Ummm, NO

HancockCountyDog
06-24-2013, 10:52 PM
They are way too damn solid. They make EVERY play. This series is over.

We are winning this series.

Goat Holder
06-24-2013, 10:54 PM
I don't see how anyone can be positive right now, except for the fact that Girodo saved our bullpen. It's not that we screwed up.....it's that you just can't pull anything over on them.

DownwardDawg
06-24-2013, 11:00 PM
I just feel like we are gonna beat them tomorrow. I've felt all along that they would win game 1. That pitcher is awesome. We started making good contact and just missed on too many opportunities. It's going three games.

FlabLoser
06-24-2013, 11:01 PM
**** no its nit their year. We just have to settle down a little bit.

I seen it dawg
06-24-2013, 11:03 PM
Bull ****ing shit Goat. Ammo not blocking the strikeout in the first, him pancaking anything even resembling a low strike, not letting the bunt roll foul then sending it to RF, and the worst calling a ****** curveball every ****ing pitch when their hitter s know its coming. He's ****ing horrible.

Then Hendo trying to be a hero and drag bunting. Cohen should have called time and went on the field and kicked him in the nuts. That was the final nail.

UCLA just plays the game not giving a shit who they are playing. We spent too much time early scared of what they were going to do to us. Our opponent hits under .200 in the postseason and I bet we threw at least 90% breaking stuff. ****ing stupid. We obviously didn't learn anything by scouting them and figuring out if you just throw strikes with fastballs hitters will get themselves out.

I give UCLA credit for playing their game. To say we didn't screw up is delusional. We didn't execute for shit and it helped UCLA to beat our ass.

Pollodawg
06-24-2013, 11:03 PM
**** no its nit their year. We just have to settle down a little bit.

Played way too tight tonight. We'll settle down and get there.

Coach34
06-24-2013, 11:06 PM
agree with Seen It

The guy we struck out scored their 1st run- let that sink in

Lots of mistakes...but tomorrow is a new day

maroonmania
06-24-2013, 11:12 PM
agree with Seen It

The guy we struck out scored their 1st run- let that sink in

Lots of mistakes...but tomorrow is a new day

The difference in the game tonight was ONE key 2 out hit that they got in the 4th that scored 2 runs. Apart from that we gave them a run with the third strike that got away from Ammo and they gave us one with a hit batsman and a walk that forced in a run. That's how close it was in the end, ONE key hit. We can still take this series, we stung some balls tonight that didn't find any gaps, hopefully we will find a few tomorrow night.

Sandman14
06-24-2013, 11:15 PM
goat holder is your typical idiot fan. when it's going great, he'll be on hear jacking everyone off. he probably was one over there on six pack during the vandy series two years ago when it looked like we'd be swept at home before the comeback on sunday, talking about how cohen needed to be fired.

give it a rest. we gave up some unearned runs. ucla can pitch and they suck otherwise. we are a better team than them. we may lose, but we are better.

I hate to do it, but I'm not in the mood to sit around and listen to some dipshit spew idiocy after a tough loss by a bunch of badass baseball players..probably one of the best teams in MSU history. suck it goat ****er.

hailmari
06-24-2013, 11:15 PM
Good lord, I'm glad you don't play or coach for us.

Goat Holder
06-24-2013, 11:24 PM
I said nothing negative about our team. Keep your estrogen in check.

The teams that are playing like UCLA are the ones that win this thing. Look back at Arizona, South Carolina, LSU, Fresno State, Oregon State......they were all ice cold. No mistakes.

Sandman14
06-24-2013, 11:34 PM
yeah and after game one the spurs were gonna win it all, too. and then after game two, the heat were gonna win it all. yeah yeah yeah. ucla won tonight. the teams that win usually win it all. teams that make less mistakes usually win. rocket scientist award to you, sir. so to the extent you are saying the team that won game 1 of the championship was doing what teams do to win it all, then yeah I agree. tomorrow night it's us. anyone can sit here and say ucla out played us tonight. it's your negative, uncalled for bullshit that I am commenting on. we don't have a chance...that's some weak ass shit.

Todd4State
06-24-2013, 11:38 PM
Bull ****ing shit Goat. Ammo not blocking the strikeout in the first, him pancaking anything even resembling a low strike, not letting the bunt roll foul then sending it to RF, and the worst calling a ****** curveball every ****ing pitch when their hitter s know its coming. He's ****ing horrible.

Then Hendo trying to be a hero and drag bunting. Cohen should have called time and went on the field and kicked him in the nuts. That was the final nail.

UCLA just plays the game not giving a shit who they are playing. We spent too much time early scared of what they were going to do to us. Our opponent hits under .200 in the postseason and I bet we threw at least 90% breaking stuff. ****ing stupid. We obviously didn't learn anything by scouting them and figuring out if you just throw strikes with fastballs hitters will get themselves out.

I give UCLA credit for playing their game. To say we didn't screw up is delusional. We didn't execute for shit and it helped UCLA to beat our ass.

If Cohen had done that, it would have been awesome.

gravedigger
06-24-2013, 11:40 PM
They made every play this game as we knew they would. You are a better fan than that post

Todd4State
06-24-2013, 11:42 PM
The difference in the game tonight was ONE key 2 out hit that they got in the 4th that scored 2 runs. Apart from that we gave them a run with the third strike that got away from Ammo and they gave us one with a hit batsman and a walk that forced in a run. That's how close it was in the end, ONE key hit. We can still take this series, we stung some balls tonight that didn't find any gaps, hopefully we will find a few tomorrow night.

If there is any good thing that I took from tonight- we made really solid contact like you said. I think Demarcus not getting that bunt down killed us. But, we pretty much knocked their ace out of the game. I think we would have done so sooner had we kept our line drive hitting approach. When Frazier flew out, I knew it was going to be a long night.

Todd4State
06-24-2013, 11:44 PM
They made every play this game as we knew they would. You are a better fan than that post

They made some plays that they probably shouldn't have too- like Ammirati's fly ball- the outfielder overran it and still got it in. That should have been a double.

Sandman14
06-24-2013, 11:44 PM
it cannot be said enough that we simply won't win with zero production from frazier, rea and renfroe. bottom line. it was a bad night. it happens. don't make too much of it. bounce back.

cheat2win
06-25-2013, 06:53 AM
Goat, if you think we didn't screw up you either didn't watch the game or don't know very much about baseball.

Hump4Hoops
06-25-2013, 07:26 AM
I have a small sliver of optimism for the game tonight - we don't face their ace, we pitch ours (even though Griodo is our best pitcher). Frazier, Renfroe, and Rea combined for ****-all yesterday, they made 2 or 3 miracle catches, every single liner we hit went right into a glove, while everything their bat touched landed in the middle of a ****ing desert.

And we were still about 2 good plays from tying that mother****er up.

HereComesTheSpiral
06-25-2013, 07:48 AM
We just need to quit swinging at that high bullshit they're throwing, oh, and put Ammos ass on the pine.

Drugdog
06-25-2013, 07:58 AM
It's simple:
1. Bad night by all
2. Learn what happened
3. Play MSU ball
4. Nut up for game 3.

I seen it dawg
06-25-2013, 08:00 AM
Unfortunately we are stuck with Ammo. I think Slauter is too hurt to play unless its an emergency. I had a dream about throwing Ammo off the top of a skyscraper last night. I was awake.

DawgInMemphis
06-25-2013, 08:39 AM
I thought that passed ball in the first might have hit the plate... hard to judge the kick when it gets part of the plate. In hindsight, Ammo probably should have let that bunt try to roll foul, but there's no guarantee it would have - and he got the ball to Rea in time to get the out, it was just a poor throw.

For the most part, we hit their ace well. Unfortunately, all of our hard hit ball were right to a defender. Sometimes that's just how it goes. It seemed like we were trying to force things at the plate instead of taking what they were giving us, and unfortunately as the game progresses it's harder to let it come to you as you feel like you've got to make a big play because time is running out. I look for us to be much more composed tonight, and hopefully we'll force a game 3.

Eric Nies Grind Time
06-25-2013, 08:53 AM
I am not sure how the team will react to this loss. Hopefully they will realize the adjustments need to be made, and that they were victim to some bad luck. If they can just lay off the high stuff and Cohen doesn't need to do that bonehead sac bunt with 2 on no out with a struggling pitcher. Awful call.

HereComesTheSpiral
06-25-2013, 09:09 AM
Unfortunately we are stuck with Ammo. I think Slauter is too hurt to play unless its an emergency. I had a dream about throwing Ammo off the top of a skyscraper last night. I was awake.

Should we have gone to Randolph after slaughter got injured to have another option?

FlabLoser
06-25-2013, 09:09 AM
That bunt wasn't rolling foul. The ball was spinning and it was just stopping at the time Ammo picked it up.

FlabLoser
06-25-2013, 09:10 AM
I am not sure how the team will react to this loss. Hopefully they will realize the adjustments need to be made, and that they were victim to some bad luck. If they can just lay off the high stuff and Cohen doesn't need to do that bonehead sac bunt with 2 on no out with a struggling pitcher. Awful call.

I hope they react like they reacted to losing to Central Arkansas. That means we come out and kick ass, never giving UCLA a feeling that they have a chance to win.

Drugdog
06-25-2013, 09:15 AM
^^^^^^best reply yet^^^^^^

Coach34
06-25-2013, 09:27 AM

Ammo's nickname is pancake- and that's not an endearing term for a catcher

Eric Nies Grind Time
06-25-2013, 09:32 AM
Ammo's nickname is pancake- and that's not an endearing term for a catcher

When Rea was getting picked up off the ground you could tell he was cursing about Ammo. "That was going foul...****ing idiot" Something along those lines.

maroonmania
06-25-2013, 02:45 PM

What happened with Slauter? Heck, I thought he was pretty much back from the injury, but since he got that winning hit again Mizzou in the SEC tourney he has been nowhere to be seen. Did he reinjure the hand/wrist in that game?

Sandman14
06-25-2013, 02:51 PM
the bunt most likely was not going foul, but that doesn't change the fact that ammo should have tried to let it go foul. He wasn't going to make that play most likely. That, coupled with the possibility it could go foul, created a situation where in hindsight, he should have let it roll around and let girado work with runners at 1st and 2nd.

but hindsighit is 20-20, and I'd rather go down being aggressive. ammo was being aggressive. it didn't work out.

but I gotta say that it is alarming that ammo keeps making poor throws to first. he threw a strikeout ball over rea's head a few games ago.

maroonmania
06-25-2013, 03:07 PM
the bunt most likely was not going foul, but that doesn't change the fact that ammo should have tried to let it go foul. He wasn't going to make that play most likely. That, coupled with the possibility it could go foul, created a situation where in hindsight, he should have let it roll around and let girado work with runners at 1st and 2nd.

but hindsighit is 20-20, and I'd rather go down being aggressive. ammo was being aggressive. it didn't work out.

but I gotta say that it is alarming that ammo keeps making poor throws to first. he threw a strikeout ball over rea's head a few games ago.

The ball beat the runner to first by a couple of steps so obviously he had the out IF he had made a catchable throw. I guess its the odds of being able to make a decent throw to first versus the odds of the ball going foul. Its a split second decision so I can't really fault Ammo that much on the play. Personally, I wish he had let it go because I don't trust Ammo making a throw to first under pressure. Remember this is the same guy that with all day to throw a guy out at first on a dropped 3rd strike at Virginia sailed it about 6 feet over Rea's head into the outfield.

Eric Nies Grind Time
06-25-2013, 03:10 PM

Yeah...Ammo is extremely inconsistent with his throws.

Sandman14
06-25-2013, 03:14 PM
The ball beat the runner to first by a couple of steps so obviously he had the out IF he had made a catchable throw. I guess its the odds of being able to make a decent throw to first versus the odds of the ball going foul. Its a split second decision so I can't really fault Ammo that much on the play. Personally, I wish he had let it go because I don't trust Ammo making a throw to first under pressure. Remember this is the same guy that with all day to throw a guy out at first on a dropped 3rd strike at Virginia sailed it about 6 feet over Rea's head into the outfield.

that is exactly what I just posted, stated with slight variance. so yes, I agree.

DawgInMemphis
06-25-2013, 03:15 PM
I've always thought the "swing and miss at strike three and you're out unless the pitch isn't fielded cleanly by the catcher" is a dumb rule. I've never heard an argument for it that made much sense to me... now I hate it even more.

Sandman14
06-25-2013, 03:15 PM
bottom line is that ammo is only an average SEC catcher. he's great at calling games, or else he would be below average. as cohen likes to say, "this game has a way of finding your weaknesses."

Sandman14
06-25-2013, 03:19 PM
I've always thought the "swing and miss at strike three and you're out unless the pitch isn't fielded cleanly by the catcher" is a dumb rule. I've never heard an argument for it that made much sense to me... now I hate it even more.

this whole debate is hashed out on TOS, so I'll digress except to say that it clearly is a necessary rule if you understand the fundamental concepts of baseball. you can't have the ball simply rolling around at the backstop and expect to be credited with an out. you lost possession/control of the baseball. you can't get anyone out if you do that, under any circumstances (other than, say, the infield fly rule, which assumes an out). any time a ball is loose, other than a foul, it is live and you don't get any outs unless you gain possession of the ball and tag the runner or else put some one out on a force out by throwing to the bag.

Sandman14
06-25-2013, 03:22 PM
and the reason you don't have to throw down if first is occupied is the same deal as the infield fly rule. we are going to assume the out because we cannot force the guy on first to run to second. otherwise you'd have catchers dropping balls, throwing to second, and then relaying for a double play...which would be asinine because you did it on purpose....same as infield fly rule.

Coach34
06-25-2013, 03:31 PM
bottom line is that ammo is only an average SEC catcher. he's great at calling games, or else he would be below average. as cohen likes to say, "this game has a way of finding your weaknesses."

I wasnt going to say anything- but then you threw that nugget in there. I think his pitch-calling is his 2nd weakest part of his game next to receiving the ball. We nicknamed him Pancake because of the way he receives the ball and how much trouble he has sticking the pitch- but his pitch-calling is not very good either. His pattern of curveball after curveball get very easy to diagnose in situations. There has got to be some change to show them the fastball on the hands or neck/shoulder level to get them to respect it a little more before going back to the curveball/slider in some situations.

engie
06-25-2013, 03:36 PM
I wasnt going to say anything- but then you threw that nugget in there. I think his pitch-calling is his 2nd weakest part of his game next to receiving the ball. We nicknamed him Pancake because of the way he receives the ball and how much trouble he has sticking the pitch- but his pitch-calling is not very good either. His pattern of curveball after curveball get very easy to diagnose in situations. There has got to be some change to show them the fastball on the hands or neck/shoulder level to get them to respect it a little more before going back to the curveball/slider in some situations.

Yep. Coach is 100% right on this one...

Slauter is double the catcher Ammo is in those two situations. Really, really apparent last night when he kept going to the fastball early in the count with Fitts and UCLA kept hitting it...

Sandman14
06-25-2013, 03:49 PM
well the players are all quoted about how great a job ammo has done at working with the pitchers and about how excels there. so maybe they don't know what they are talking about. I certainly am no expert. I'm just going off of info I've read from the team.

Sandman14
06-25-2013, 03:52 PM
Butch Thompson must not know what he's talking about...Girado either...

"Nick Ammirati might be the most important person in our whole deal," Thompson said. "Everyone sitting here talking about the bullpen and the relievers. He might be the most important deal to our pitching staff."

One of those arms out of the MSU bullpen echoed those sentiments. After his 6 1/3 innings against Indiana in which he struck out 10, Chad Girodo deflected the credit to his teammate behind the plate.

"Ammo's such a great catcher. He knows exactly what to call," Girodo said after his performance. "He knows me so well and he knows exactly what to call in those situations. He just helps me keep them off balance. I wouldn't say it was me. Ammo's the one calling the pitches."

The calls originate hours, even days before the senior flashes a finger or two. He sits watching hours of film then discusses what he observed with Thompson. After even more discussion, they develop a gameplan to impose upon hitters. Even the researching isn't entirely finished.

"All that stuff's good, knowing the tendencies of the hitters. But it's mostly like a feel kind of thing," Ammirati said. "You know, reading the hitter's body language in the box, where he is on the plate. If he moves up, if he backs off."

Sandman14
06-25-2013, 03:54 PM
But I forgot how GD much ya'll know about baseball...so really what Butch Thompson and Girodo say is irrelevant. I'm 100% wrong on this one...me, Thompson, and Girodo...

I seen it dawg
06-25-2013, 03:55 PM

He's not a very good catcher by any standard. His pitch calling is super predictable. He doesn't block very well if there is any difficulty at all-meaning anything not just short hopped in. You can't trust him throwing the baseball anywhere. And the thing that drives me the most insane is he steals way too many pitches from our guys by pancaking the ****ing baseball on anything around the thighs. I've never seen a catcher at the college level pancake more ****ing strikes into balls. He's awful at sticking the baseball and giving the umpire an opportunity to help us out.

Eta: they are the ones that have to live with it and they undoubtedly love him. I still disagree from what I see during the games. I have no doubt he is a great teammate.

Coach34
06-25-2013, 04:00 PM
Well, watch Ammo catch the ball for a few hitters- then find some video of a good catcher receiving the ball on youtube. Its an easily noticeable difference. Hell, even watch Slaughter

LiterallyPolice
06-25-2013, 04:01 PM
But I forgot how GD much ya'll know about baseball...so really what Butch Thompson and Girodo say is irrelevant. I'm 100% wrong on this one...me, Thompson, and Girodo...

...and like clockwork, Sandman14 uses the ole "I agree with _____ so I my assertions must be correct" argument.

Number 1: stop doing that
Number 2: what do you think coaches/teammates are going to say to a journalist?

Journalist: "Girodo, we're doing a piece on Ammirati.... how would you describe him as a catcher and teammate?"
Girodo: "Mediocre. Next question!"

Yeah, right.

Sandman14
06-25-2013, 04:01 PM
so he's below average. I should have said "below average" rather than "average." I suppose we can all agree there.

the ones who are part of the team do not think he is poor at calling pitches, though. not anymore, at least.

Sandman14
06-25-2013, 04:05 PM
...and like clockwork, Sandman14 uses the ole "I agree with _____ so I my assertions must be correct" argument.

Number 1: stop doing that
Number 2: what do you think coaches/teammates are going to say to a journalist?

Journalist: "Girodo, we're doing a piece on Ammirati.... how would you describe him as a catcher and teammate?"
Girodo: "Mediocre. Next question!"

Yeah, right.

I don't know what point you are trying to make, but you failed at it. so Number 1 - stop doing what you are doing. number 2 - Butch Thompson did not have to say that Ammo is perhaps the most important part of the equation with respect to the bullpen.

I bet it sounded so cool in your head when you were typing it though.

I seen it dawg
06-25-2013, 04:07 PM
I'm convinced if he throws Filia a fastball he pops it up or freezes on it on the 2 out 2 run single. He had seen nothing but breaking stuff and had the curveball timed. What's worse he absolutely knew it was coming and sat back and just put the barrell on it. You could tell by the replay he wasn't fooled at all.

Furthermore the fact we threw 80-90% breaking balls to those judys is baffling.

JayDawg
06-25-2013, 04:11 PM
....they were all ice cold. No mistakes.

I'd take Maverick over Iceman any day!

LiterallyPolice
06-25-2013, 04:15 PM
I don't know what point you are trying to make, but you failed at it.

My point is that your breakdown of every situation is "I agree with Cohen/Butch because they are great coaches". It's a cop out and adds nothing to the discussion. Yes, they are great coaches but the very nature of this board is to discuss and question their decisions.

Sandman14
06-25-2013, 04:36 PM
My point is that your breakdown of every situation is "I agree with Cohen/Butch because they are great coaches". It's a cop out and adds nothing to the discussion. Yes, they are great coaches but the very nature of this board is to discuss and question their decisions.

ummm...I believe my point was that the part of ammo's game that is above average is the way he calls games and works with our staff. I was vigorously disputed, and I found where both Butch Thompson and Girodo said the same thing. so you can suck it. your feeble attempt to jackass me failed. now beat it, nerd.

Sandman14
06-25-2013, 04:43 PM
TOO MANY SENSITIVE NERDS AROUND. DOES ANYONE HAVE BALLS? at the first sign of heat, some of you go scattering about, freaking out. shoot, coach threatened to terminate me last night over some drunken, aggravated posts after a tough loss...well guess what...who cares? if you want a board with 10 nerds patting each other on the back, go for it. if you want some heated debate that stirs controversy and fuels traffic, then man up and quit whining.

I dug out some quotes from our pitching coach and hottest pitcher to support my position. I had no idea whether such support existed when I posted. But it does, and I found it. I'm sorry you don't like it. But yes, it does give credence to my position. Does that mean ammo calls the best game in the SEC? No. Slaughter is masterful and better, for one. Does it mean he's probably not below average in that respect of his game? it certainly provides support for that.