PDA

View Full Version : Paul Young

bulldogcountry1
02-20-2015, 09:54 AM
Reading his bio, I find it interesting that he was drafted out of HS in the 21st round, had some decent football scolarship offers, yet he wound up at JUCO playing baseball. There are a lot of players with good D1 baseball scholarship offers that still sign pro contracts.

Todd4State
02-20-2015, 10:03 AM
Actually, he was drafted out of JUCO, not high school. LSU wanted him really badly for baseball.

bulldogcountry1
02-20-2015, 10:49 AM
That makes more sense. I imagine there aren't many players that get drafted out of JUCO.

I hope he can be a major contributor for us.

Left_Field_Lounge
02-20-2015, 11:30 AM
That makes more sense. I imagine there aren't many players that get drafted out of JUCO.

Lots of high school baseball players go juco for then enter the draft. They don't have to stay there for 3 years like you do at a D1 school. For example: Albert Pujols, Craig Kimbrel, Roy Oswalt, Corey Dickerson and a bunch more

Todd4State
02-20-2015, 11:34 AM

Like LFL said, a lot of JUCO players get drafted, but I think many have the perception that a lot of them go undrafted because not very many JUCO players get drafted in the first round for whatever reason.

MsStateBaseball
02-20-2015, 11:41 AM
Consider this also, Juco has 22 athletic scholarships to give, we can give only 11.7. If you need more aid than a D1 school can give, go to Juco. Young pitched a little in HS. Just like the starting pitcher for the Braves (his name escapes me), Young started to be a pitcher when he got older. His arm isn't worn out.

When he starts pitching for us it is a major deal. He is in the low 90's and with Butch helping him, showing him how to really pitch, the skys the limit. All we need from him is to get one or two batters out in March, then start getting him more innings. Just don't want to do anything with him in this cold weather, like Michael Smith or Rea.

Todd4State
02-20-2015, 12:57 PM
March should be one year post op for Young. I would start him against Arkansas Pine-Bluff and see how he looks for 40-50 pitches and go from there. I think Butch wants him to come out of the bullpen for this year.