PDA

View Full Version : I just made it back....

Liverpooldawg
02-20-2015, 12:51 AM
From the game. A few thoughts: Our guys do play hard. We are not a great defensive team (to many boneheaded lapses) but we probably are a little above average. Offensively we are terrible. We basically pass it around the perimeter with one guy posted up and then take a three as the clock runs down. Occasionally somebody will attempt to drive inside but more often than not he Is on his own when he does. Our spacing is poor. We run very few sets to try to get open shots. We don't have a shooter. Our inbounds plays are as bad as I have ever seen on any level. I watched the game for the first time in a long time from my old viewpoint behind one basket. I get a better feel for what we can and can't do from that vantage point. Defensively we are adequate from sheer effort. Offensively Bob Boyd's four corners looked better. I had no idea it was that bad.

Todd4State
02-20-2015, 12:59 AM
I wasn't impressed with our effort in the second half personally. I thought we got out hustled.

Liverpooldawg
02-20-2015, 01:00 AM
A comment about the crowd: Well done students! That crowd was 2/3 students. The student section was packed and a large % of the rest of the place was students. They tried their best to get into the game too. Our offense is just excruciating to watch so that's not easy to do. To my fellow alumni: You ought to be ashamed. We could have won this game. A completely full Hump might have made the difference.

Schultzy
02-20-2015, 01:06 AM
A comment about the crowd: Well done students! That crowd was 2/3 students. The student section was packed and a large % of the rest of the place was students. They tried their best to get into the game too. Our offense is just excruciating to watch so that's not easy to do. To my fellow alumni: You ought to be ashamed. We could have won this game. A completely full Hump might have made the difference.
Students were Loud, they made the first half fun.

mcdawg
02-20-2015, 01:28 AM

Don't understand - if alumni at the game, we could have won? Do alumni teach offense? You talked for an entire post of how bad our offensive scheme is. That is why I wouldn't waist my time going to a game - have tried it a couple of times over the past 3 years, and our team is just too hard to watch. Not interested.

I think I heard (I cut the game on tv for about 1 minute at the end) the tv announcers say that this is the first time OM has swept us since 1998. If I heard correctly, our previous coach and his staff must have done a pretty good job.

mstatefan91
02-20-2015, 01:42 AM
Don't understand - if alumni at the game, we could have won? Do alumni teach offense? You talked for an entire post of how bad our offensive scheme is. That is why I wouldn't waist my time going to a game - have tried it a couple of times over the past 3 years, and our team is just too hard to watch. Not interested.

I think I heard (I cut the game on tv for about 1 minute at the end) the tv announcers say that this is the first time OM has swept us since 1998. If I heard correctly, our previous coach and his staff must have done a pretty good job.

Yeah bud. Keep measuring the success of coaching staffs through the lenses of a single rivalry. Just a great way to look at sports overall.

"How'd we do this year? "
"Well we didn't get swept by OM!"
"We must have a pretty kick ass team! " ********************

Liverpooldawg
02-20-2015, 01:43 AM

I hate what we did to our basketball program and I can't stand to watch our offense but I was at the game. I made the effort this time because it was UM and they hadn't swept us since Richard Williams was Coach. I wanted to do my part tonight as little as it mattered. We hung around through defensive effort alone. Effort feeds off the crowd.

That being said I saw little hope for the future as things stand. The fundamentals and structure of a sound offense just aren't there.

Liverpooldawg
02-20-2015, 01:45 AM
Yeah bud. Keep measuring the success of coaching staffs through the lenses of a single rivalry. Just a great way to look at sports overall.

"How'd we do this year? "
"Well we didn't get swept by OM!"
"We must have a pretty kick ass team! " ********************

Well maybe so, but not getting swept by UM is always better than being swept by them. I miss the days just a few years ago when they were an afterthought on our basketball schedule. I hope we can get back to that sooner rather than later.

mstatefan91
02-20-2015, 02:00 AM
Well maybe so, but not getting swept by UM is always better than being swept by them. I miss the days just a few years ago when they were an afterthought on our basketball schedule. I hope we can get back to that sooner rather than later.

Agreed but bringing up the old coaching staff and painting it in a way that they were marvelous just for not getting swept in a single series is pathetic.

Look, Stansbury did great things for our program during his time. His time is over, and it's time for the fan base to move on. I'm not saying Ray is the answer. Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. But the bitterness has gotten old and tired and has a negative effect on the program whether people want to admit it or not.

Liverpooldawg
02-20-2015, 02:07 AM
Agreed but bringing up the old coaching staff and painting it in a way that they were marvelous just for not getting swept in a single series is pathetic.

Look, Stansbury did great things for our program during his time. His time is over, and it's time for the fan base to move on. I'm not saying Ray is the answer. Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. But the bitterness has gotten old and tired and has a negative effect on the program whether people want to admit it or not.

Whatever man. I didn't bring him up this time. Like it or not UM is our main rival and even when they were an afterthought in basketball those games were always bitter. Nobody was claiming not getting swept by them was some great accomplishment. Beating them doesn't say much about where your program is. Getting swept by them says volumes.

It_Could_Happen
02-20-2015, 02:09 AM
My thoughts from tonight:

We are deeper than last year, but that doesn't mean we can lose a key guy like Roq and still win games. That game completely changed when he left. When Gavin came off the floor we had no rebounding ability left. Also, we flat out had no guy that could guard moody. He's talented but not nearly that talented. Chicken was just out manned. I'm 50/50 on whether I want Ray back next year or not. He has to show me something down the stretch to make me want to retain him. I don't know that I've ever left the hump as disappointed as I was tonight. We played hard just couldn't get that one timely stop.

Fire away you guys.

mstatefan91
02-20-2015, 02:11 AM
Whatever man. I didn't bring him up this time. Like it or not UM is our main rival and even when they were an afterthought in basketball those games were always bitter. Nobody was claiming not getting swept by them was some great accomplishment. Beating them doesn't say much about where your program is. Getting swept by them says volumes.

I wasn't saying you brought him up this time. I was agreeing with you and expanding upon my thoughts from the post where I responded to mcdawg.

You misunderstood the intent of my post.

Liverpooldawg
02-20-2015, 02:22 AM

We are deeper than last year, but that doesn't mean we can lose a key guy like Roq and still win games. That game completely changed when he left. When Gavin came off the floor we had no rebounding ability left. Also, we flat out had no guy that could guard moody. He's talented but not nearly that talented. Chicken was just out manned. I'm 50/50 on whether I want Ray back next year or not. He has to show me something down the stretch to make me want to retain him. I don't know that I've ever left the hump as disappointed as I was tonight. We played hard just couldn't get that one timely stop.

Fire away you guys.
My take on Ray has been he needed to get to .500 overall this year for me to want to give him a 4th year. He pretty much had to win tonight to have a chance to do that. That had a lot to do with why I went. Tonight was a critical game for the program. It became even more so with the absolutely huge student turn out. Win that game and I think it could have been the rekindling of the old fire at the Hump.

Liverpooldawg
02-20-2015, 02:24 AM
I wasn't saying you brought him up this time. I was agreeing with you and expanding upon my thoughts from the post where I responded to mcdawg.

You misunderstood the intent of my post.

Fair enough but never underestimate the rivalry. If we were playing them in Monopoly I would want to destroy them.

mstatefan91
02-20-2015, 02:28 AM
Fair enough but never underestimate the rivalry. If we were playing them in Monopoly I would want to destroy them.

lol no doubt

Maroonthirteen
02-20-2015, 07:20 AM
Any other major conference school in the nation, Ray would not be back. We are bad, very bad. The enemic offense and inbound sets have been covered. Look at the shooting and athletes, he doesn't recruit well enough. Also I'm questioning his authority with the players. You dont quit playing because you got a graze to the head.

So frustrating to be this bad. Embarrassing.

Coach34
02-20-2015, 08:31 AM
Offensively we are terrible. We basically pass it around the perimeter with one guy posted up and then take a three as the clock runs down. .

We got zoned most of the night and still only shot 19 3-balls- compared to 29 for Ole Missus

We just dont have alot of skill offensively. We cant shoot very well and teams pack it in and make driving harder on us.

IJ is short so its tough for him to get in the paint and do alot of damage
People just back off of Bloodman
Sword has improved his shooting and is solid
Fred just isnt a good ball handler- so driving for him is rare
The offense was great last night with Roq in there- we were up 10. Game changed when he went out.
I agree we need to get it to Ware more- but he has to do a better job of passing out of double teams
No Houston last night hurt
Daniels played better- but went back in his shell in the 2nd
Black and Endo's offensive game has a long way to go. Endo played way more than we needed because of Roq going out

It's like our offense under Mullen with Lee and Relf at QB in 2009- you're just limited in what you can do.

Jacksondevildog
02-20-2015, 08:40 AM
Any pain and our players come out. If a feather hits them, they are hurt and want to come out.

Coach34
02-20-2015, 08:57 AM
yeah-that was very disappointing. The most disappointing thing I saw. No way I let them keep me out of Im Roq. No way

msstate7
02-20-2015, 09:00 AM
yeah-that was very disappointing. The most disappointing thing I saw. No way I let them keep me out of Im Roq. No way

If its concussion like symptoms, there's no way the trainers let him play.

TheRef
02-20-2015, 09:12 AM

I saw about 4 doctors surrounding him in the tunnel from my seat. When he walked off the court, he had no ****ing idea where he was. Dude had a pretty serious concussion, and with what has been going on lately surrounding concussions, the team Doc wasn't going to let him play. They put him on the bike just to try it out, but they must have seen something that they didn't like. Concussions are no joke, and you know it had to kill Roq to have to watch. But it was the right call from the medical staff.

The other players who were injured (Ware, Ready, Chicken) were legitimately injured. Ware came off holding his arm, and immediately looked at the trainer and said "I think it's (his thumb) broken." I.J. came off with what looked like a rolled ankle. And Chicken had a dead leg on the inside of his thigh. None of those are injuries that you can just pop right back from. All three came back, but you could tell that they were injured if you watched them play. Chicken and IJ both were limping for the rest of the game. And it's hard to fake an injury that long with the adrenaline pumping. You could also see Gavin wince a little every time he held the ball with his left hand.

Give the players credit, we had four players get injured and three of them played through some pain for the rest of the game. Roquez would have been out there fighting too if the medical staff would give him clearance.

Jacksondevildog
02-20-2015, 09:12 AM

Ware came out and had someone kiss his wrist and massage it. He needs to toughen up. Thats a problem with our team. Soft.

EMDawg
02-20-2015, 09:32 AM
Ware came out and had someone kiss his wrist and massage it. He needs to toughen up. Thats a problem with our team. Soft.

Thats not the only problem with this team. It all starts with the coach.

dawgpound
02-20-2015, 09:38 AM
I for one am proud of the effort by this team last night as well as the students. The stands werent full but the students were there and were loud. It made for a great atmosphere. Our players played very hard and played a good game. TSUN has a little more talent than us right now and moody got hot but we were in the game until the end and i liked the effort.

maroonmania
02-20-2015, 09:44 AM
With all the injuries, the game tomorrow against a pressing Arkansas team may be ugly again. I simply have never seen a basketball program where the injuries are so frequent and constant. I really just kept up with the game on live stats but we lost Roq for most of the game and apparently 2 or 3 others with various injuries at various times. You know its bad when we lose Sword when he's going to the free throw line and have to replace him with Black who is one of the worst free throwers on the team. If Ray is coming back next year no matter what I'm just ready to shut it down this year and get ready for next year since this year is a lost cause and only thing that may happen now is someone blowing out their knee or something that would affect next year. I know you can't do that but that's what I would like to do.

Vandelaydawg
02-20-2015, 09:52 AM
From the game. A few thoughts: Our guys do play hard. We are not a great defensive team (to many boneheaded lapses) but we probably are a little above average. Offensively we are terrible. We basically pass it around the perimeter with one guy posted up and then take a three as the clock runs down. Occasionally somebody will attempt to drive inside but more often than not he Is on his own when he does. Our spacing is poor. We run very few sets to try to get open shots. We don't have a shooter. Our inbounds plays are as bad as I have ever seen on any level. I watched the game for the first time in a long time from my old viewpoint behind one basket. I get a better feel for what we can and can't do from that vantage point. Defensively we are adequate from sheer effort. Offensively Bob Boyd's four corners looked better. I had no idea it was that bad.

So admirable of you to show up for the first time in a long time? to bash other alumni who didn't up and decide to return and support the team because it's a game vs our rival. Could you not mix in another reference of how unfair it is you don't have those seats you squatted in for years, refusing Bulldog Club legitimate support? That's always such a fun regular assessment from you. My assumption is there were plenty of lower level seats for you to fill behind the basket as all those displaced legacy seat holders were packed in the upper deck.*** Elitedawgs really should find a way make sure Liverpool's needs are better met in the future so we can get more insight and in-depth analysis.

MadDawg
02-20-2015, 10:07 AM

I don't know that I've ever left the hump as disappointed as I was tonight.

It's weird. I don't even get that upset losing anymore. I guess when you go into every game pretty much expecting to lose, it takes the sting away.

tcdog70
02-20-2015, 10:13 AM
Have you noticed that every team we play has a guard that shoots lights out when they play Us? Our guards cannot defend. maybe they can but Ray doesn't put them in position to defend. It's one or the other. In the past MSU has always had a shut down defender. Now we have no one that can shoot and no back court defender. No wonder we set records for losing.

Dawg Corps
02-20-2015, 10:21 AM
I don't know how we could have possibly expected to win with the Bearsharks having Lil Wayne on their roster*****

msstate7
02-20-2015, 10:39 AM
Have you noticed that every team we play has a guard that shoots lights out when they play Us? Our guards cannot defend. maybe they can but Ray doesn't put them in position to defend. It's one or the other. In the past MSU has always had a shut down defender. Now we have no one that can shoot and no back court defender. No wonder we set records for losing.

We were all over moody on those 3 straight 3's in the 2nd half. He just hit the shots

Coach34
02-20-2015, 10:58 AM

The trainers wouldn't have gotten their hands on me because I wouldn't have laid out there on the floor. Get your ass up and walk to clear your head.

TheRef
02-20-2015, 11:16 AM
The trainers wouldn't have gotten their hands on me because I wouldn't have laid out there on the floor. Get your ass up and walk to clear your head.

Look...I understand where you're coming from, but he had no idea where he was. If the trainers let him back out on the court, I would have been pissed.

codeDawg
02-20-2015, 11:37 AM
It's like our offense under Mullen with Lee and Relf at QB in 2009- you're just limited in what you can do.

More like our offense in 2008. In 2009 it was pretty clear Mullen knew what he wanted to do, we just couldn't do it. Ray's offense does not give that same impression.

thf24
02-20-2015, 11:48 AM
We were all over moody on those 3 straight 3's in the 2nd half. He just hit the shots

Yeah. I agree our undersized backcourt doesn't do us any favors when defending shooters, but when a guy hits 8 of 12 from 3, he's just on and a lot of the time there's not a whole lot you can do about it. A good college shooter on an average night only taking wide open, uncontested shots would be doing well to hit 50% from 3.

chef dixon
02-20-2015, 11:53 AM
I have seen this all the time the last 3 years: "We need to get Ware the ball more"

Its time to face the music on Ware, he's just not as good as most of us would like to think. He doesn't ever look comfortable under the basket. He travels a lot and doesn't put himself in great post position for much of the game.

Liverpooldawg
02-20-2015, 12:36 PM
We got zoned most of the night and still only shot 19 3-balls- compared to 29 for Ole Missus

We just dont have alot of skill offensively. We cant shoot very well and teams pack it in and make driving harder on us.

IJ is short so its tough for him to get in the paint and do alot of damage
People just back off of Bloodman
Sword has improved his shooting and is solid
Fred just isnt a good ball handler- so driving for him is rare
The offense was great last night with Roq in there- we were up 10. Game changed when he went out.
I agree we need to get it to Ware more- but he has to do a better job of passing out of double teams
No Houston last night hurt
Daniels played better- but went back in his shell in the 2nd
Black and Endo's offensive game has a long way to go. Endo played way more than we needed because of Roq going out

This is an honest question: Since when did you start making excuses for every single problem with our basketball team? You can get bad players to run sets and screens. Mackie White could set a heck of a screen. we don't even try.

Liverpooldawg
02-20-2015, 12:43 PM
So admirable of you to show up for the first time in a long time? to bash other alumni who didn't up and decide to return and support the team because it's a game vs our rival. Could you not mix in another reference of how unfair it is you don't have those seats you squatted in for years, refusing Bulldog Club legitimate support? That's always such a fun regular assessment from you. My assumption is there were plenty of lower level seats for you to fill behind the basket as all those displaced legacy seat holders were packed in the upper deck.*** Elitedawgs really should find a way make sure Liverpool's needs are better met in the future so we can get more insight and in-depth analysis.

I was in the upper deck last night. And yes, we DID have seats in the lower deck for 20 years. We still had them when we gave them up. Dude the main reason I kinda quit going was my father, who I always went to the games with, got to sick to go. Stan's last year was ours. Dad died almost exactly one year ago. I've never mentioned that online before and I resent having to do it now. I forgive you for putting your foot in your mouth. Go crawl back under your rock. The reason I'm starting to go to a few again, in all sports, is my son is a student now.

Dawg61
02-20-2015, 12:50 PM
Look...I understand where you're coming from, but he had no idea where he was. If the trainers let him back out on the court, I would have been pissed.

We are soft Ref. Very soft. It's an epidemic with this team. Roq was selling it hard too. Not calling him a liar or a total faker but when he acted like he couldn't even lift his leg to use the bike it sure seemed like he was trying for an Emmy. Atleast IJ Ready has ditched the Glass. He has gotten tougher this year.

TheRef
02-20-2015, 12:56 PM
We are soft Ref. Very soft. It's an epidemic with this team. Roq was selling it hard too. Not calling him a liar or a total faker but when he acted like he couldn't even lift his leg to use the bike it sure seemed like he was trying for an Emmy. Atleast IJ Ready has ditched the Glass. He has gotten tougher this year.

Goodness...the guy had a concussion, and y'all are acting like he only had a ******* papercut. There comes a point when players are NOT going to be able to make the best decision for themselves. I was standing right there as he came off the court by the MSU bench, he looked like he was in la-la land. That's something you can't fake or sell.

Liverpooldawg
02-20-2015, 01:08 PM
I was in the upper deck last night. And yes, we DID have seats in the lower deck for 20 years. We still had them when we gave them up. Dude the main reason I kinda quit going was my father, who I always went to the games with, got to sick to go. Stan's last year was ours. Dad died almost exactly one year ago. I've never mentioned that online before and I resent having to do it now. I forgive you for putting your foot in your mouth. Go crawl back under your rock. The reason I'm starting to go to a few again, in all sports, is my son is a student now.

By the way, when we DID have season tickets we were there for the most part. When we weren't we usually gave the tickets to other Dawgs that would go. That doesn't seem to be the case now, or then if the truth be known.

Dawg61
02-20-2015, 01:09 PM
Goodness...the guy had a concussion, and y'all are acting like he only had a ******* papercut. There comes a point when players are NOT going to be able to make the best decision for themselves. I was standing right there as he came off the court by the MSU bench, he looked like he was in la-la land. That's something you can't fake or sell.

We've had atleast five concussions this year. We had zero in the history of our program pre2013. This isn't ****ing football.
We need new doctors not five vag1nal holes immediately diagnosing "concussion" anytime they look at a player.

Liverpooldawg
02-20-2015, 01:10 PM

He looked like a drunk walking after he got hurt. He got his bell rung and how. They don't play with that stuff now. If he had wanted to go in it wouldn't have mattered, he wasn't going in. TheRef is right.

TheRef
02-20-2015, 01:10 PM
We've had atleast five concussions this year. We had zero in the history of our program pre2013. This isn't ****ing football.
We need new doctors not five ******l holes immediately diagnosing "concussion" anytime they look at a player.

Well this was a textbook case of concussion. So you can take your argument to some other game, but Roq had a legitimate concussion. Have a problem with that, you can go straight to Scott...but you won't get very far.

Liverpooldawg
02-20-2015, 01:12 PM
We need new doctors not five vag1nal holes immediately diagnosing "concussion" anytime they look at a player.

You are aware that the everything has changed when it comes to head injuries since 2013? It's not just at MSU either. Ray had nothing to do with that.

Dawg61
02-20-2015, 01:15 PM
Well this was a textbook case of concussion. So you can take your argument to some other game, but Roq had a legitimate concussion. Have a problem with that, you can go straight to Scott...but you won't get very far.

Thanks Roq's mom

Dawg61
02-20-2015, 01:17 PM
You are aware that the everything has changed when it comes to head injuries since 2013? It's not just at MSU either. Ray had nothing to do with that.

Gimme a ****ing break. We aren't the exception to the rule. How many "concussions" have we suffered through in the last two years compared to every other SEC team? Way way more. Get new doctors.

TheRef
02-20-2015, 01:18 PM
Thanks Roq's mom

You can kiss my ass, 61. You're the one saying that Roq was faking his concussion. I'd like to know where you were sitting for the game? Because I saw it with my own two damn eyes, IN PERSON. So tell you what, until you can say that you had a better view than me, which I highly doubt because I was sitting one row up in the student section in the corner, then you just need to step away from this discussion and firmly place your foot in your mouth.

Liverpooldawg
02-20-2015, 01:22 PM
Gimme a ****ing break. We aren't the exception to the rule. How many "concussions" have we suffered through in the last two years compared to every other SEC team? Way way more. Get new doctors.

He wouldn't have played under the OLD standards. He looked like a DRUNK. You wouldn't have wanted him playing.

smootness
02-20-2015, 01:25 PM

Oh, guys' lives are being ruined? And that's some "problem"? I couldn't care less about the long-term effects on the brain. It's not me, and I have a basketball team to cheer for! I don't want actual doctors making these decisions, I want "doctors" who do as the coach says and get people back on the court!

Oh, and in case it wasn't obvious, **

Dawg61
02-20-2015, 01:32 PM
You can kiss my ass, 61. You're the one saying that Roq was faking his concussion. I'd like to know where you were sitting for the game? Because I saw it with my own two damn eyes, IN PERSON. So tell you what, until you can say that you had a better view than me, which I highly doubt because I was sitting one row up in the student section in the corner, then you just need to step away from this discussion and firmly place your foot in your mouth.

Exaggerating is the word I'd use. We do that as a team ANYTIME we fall to the floor. I'm suprised Fred still has legs at this point. How many replays did you get to see of the "blow to the head" to Roq last night IN PERSON? But forget about Roq and just answer me this one question. Does MSU seem to have a lot of "concussions" happening in the last three years? Remember this is basketball not football.

smootness
02-20-2015, 01:32 PM

Ho. Ly. Crap.

This thread is embarrassing. Probably best if we lock it up.

Dawg61
02-20-2015, 01:36 PM
Oh, guys' lives are being ruined? And that's some "problem"? I couldn't care less about the long-term effects on the brain. It's not me, and I have a basketball team to cheer for! I don't want actual doctors making these decisions, I want "doctors" who do as the coach says and get people back on the court!

Oh, and in case it wasn't obvious, **

Fine I'll grant you Roq was legit but come on man we've had at least FIVE CONCUSSIONS this year. Name me one single other cbb team that's had as many as us. Don't throw away the possibility that as soon as there's any contact above the neck our doctors are immediately ruling concussion. Concussions are not nearly as easy to occur as y'all and the MSU training staff are making them out to be.

mstatefan91
02-20-2015, 01:36 PM
Roq had a concussion. Everyone who saw him walking off the court knew that he had a concussion. He had to have two people lead him into the tunnel. He wasn't faking it.

This is pathetic. Hope he gets healthy soon and has no lasting effects

TheRef
02-20-2015, 01:37 PM
Exaggerating is the word I'd use. We do that as a team ANYTIME we fall to the floor. I'm suprised Fred still has legs at this point. How many replays did you get to see of the "blow to the head" to Roq last night IN PERSON? But forget about Roq and just answer me this one question. Does MSU seem to have a lot of "concussions" happening in the last three years? Remember this is basketball not football.

I didn't have to see a replay to know what I saw of him walking off the ******* court. Also, I'm not going to make an argument of whether or not we have more/less concussions than average without having numbers in front of me. Want to know why? Because I like having some evidence before I start talking. Now I will tell you one thing, our players don't do this "ANYTIME we fall to the floor" Fred falls to the floor all the time when trying to get a foul, but he hops up and starts running again. Now I know that you were using a hyperbole when you say "ANYTIME," but will you please use some ******* common sense for once in your life?

mstatefan91
02-20-2015, 01:38 PM
Fine I'll grant you Roq was legit but come on man we've had at least FIVE CONCUSSIONS this year. Name me one single other cbb team that's had as many as us. Don't throw away the possibility that as soon as there's any contact above the neck our doctors are immediately ruling concussion. Concussions are not nearly as easy to occur as y'all and the MSU training staff are making them out to be.

How would you know? Do you just enjoy making an ass out of yourself?

Dawg61
02-20-2015, 01:41 PM
I didn't have to see a replay to know what I saw of him walking off the ******* court. Also, I'm not going to make an argument of whether or not we have more/less concussions than average without having numbers in front of me. Want to know why? Because I like having some evidence before I start talking. Now I will tell you one thing, our players don't do this "ANYTIME we fall to the floor" Fred falls to the floor all the time when trying to get a foul, but he hops up and starts running again. Now I know that you were using a hyperbole when you say "ANYTIME," but will you please use some ******* common sense for once in your life?

Care to guess why Houston played zero minutes last night? Concussion. Damn epidemic gets us multiple times each game. We get as many concussions each game as we do FGs vs Arkansas.

Dawg61
02-20-2015, 01:44 PM
How would you know? Do you just enjoy making an ass out of yourself?

Like I'm the only one thinking it. Someone has to speak up about our "concussion" issues. Maybe we should play with leather helmets on. If it means we have no more players missing games then I'm all for our entire team wearing padded skull caps. We'd have four more wins right now.

mstatefan91
02-20-2015, 01:47 PM
Like I'm the only one thinking it. Someone has to speak up about our "concussion" issues. Maybe we should play with leather helmets on. If it means we have no more players missing games then I'm all for our entire team wearing padded skull caps. We'd have four more wins right now.

Just curious. Where did you receive your medical degree from?

smootness
02-20-2015, 01:52 PM

First, concussions happen more often in basketball than you think they do, and occurrences are increasing.

Second, this hasn't been talked about much, but State is at the forefront of concussion and head safety research and testing. We're actually developing a helmet ourselves that will supposedly be safer, after doing extensive testing and research on the effects of the brain on hits.

So we might be diagnosing more than others, but it's more likely that other schools are missing some, not that we are over diagnosing.

I'd much rather err on the side of caution on this issue.

Here's an article discussing the helmet research: http://wreg.com/2014/09/25/Mississippi-state-university-tackles-football-concussions-builds-safer-helmets It's something to be proud of, not upset about.

TheRef
02-20-2015, 01:53 PM
Okay, so I have some statistics from a study released by the NCAA in February 2014 on concussions. This is from data collected in 2010 from approximately 20,000 NCAA athletes from over 600 NCAA schools in all divisions. This statistical analysis was done by interviewing these athletes and asked them if they have ever had a concussion during their years as a student-athlete in the NCAA. Now...this is self-reported concussions, so this doesn't mean that they used a Doctor/Trainer necessarily to determine whether or not they experienced a concussion.

Here are the facts, 13.3% of male student athletes reported having only one concussion during their time as a player. 6.1% of male student athletes reported having multiple concussions during their NCAA career. That's for all sports over all divisions. Now let's go down a level and see the statistics of SELF-REPORTED concussions for only Men's Basketball, shall we? 13% of men's basketball players surveyed reported having only one concussion, while 5.5% of players reported having multiple concussions. Put those together, and you get a 18.5% rate of NCAA Men's Basketball players receiving at least one concussion during their tenure as a student athlete.

Now, let's get to some statistical odds. The study used Track and Field as a baseline for determining the odds of getting a concussion (1.0). Now...all odds are statistically relevant on the p<0.1 level, which means that these odds are relevant and accurate given the data. In Football, you are 5x more likely to receive a concussion than Track and Field. In Men's Basketball, you are 2.8x more likely to receive a concussion. That means that it's not out of the norm for us to have players getting concussions at the rate we do.

Data Source: http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/Concussion%20%20GOALS%20Exec%20Summary_Feb_12_2014 _FINALpost_0.pdf

mstatefan91
02-20-2015, 01:55 PM
Hey my department got some recognition! ^

Dawg61
02-20-2015, 02:13 PM
You don't add 5.5% to 13% it's already been accounted for but there you go. We've had WAY MORE than 13% of our team getting a concussion. Try 50% at MSU.

smootness
02-20-2015, 02:16 PM
You don't add 5.5% to 13% it's already been accounted for but there you go. We've had WAY MORE than 13% of our team getting a concussion. Try 50% at MSU.

No, it was 13% reporting having had only one, not at least one. So you do add them.