PDA

View Full Version : Looks like the Clarion Liar is going all in on Patterson.

Jack Lambert
02-19-2015, 08:55 AM
If I was an Mississippi recruit I would be piss.

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/2015/02/18/pattersons-coach-never-seen-shea-shea/23647017/

missouridawg
02-19-2015, 09:01 AM
Never has the nation's top-rated quarterback pledged to play at a Mississippi school.

Classic Clarion Ledger line.

Tbonewannabe
02-19-2015, 09:08 AM
Does it surprise you that the CL is basically recruiting for UM?

Political Hack
02-19-2015, 09:38 AM
sounds like a great kid. this could be the guy that finally gets OM over the hump in terms of being able to get a high school QB to eventually take snaps for them.

Looks like they've got their Dak to me.

fishwater99
02-19-2015, 09:41 AM
Does it surprise you that the CL is basically recruiting for UM?

Doing what they can to sell papers, the Bear Sharks are keeping the CL in business..

HSVDawg
02-19-2015, 09:44 AM
I really wish there weren't 3 threads a day on both major MSU message boards about this kid. Its getting tired. And yes, the CL is a godawful paper and has been for years, but thats far more due to staff incompetence than any conspiracy. All we're doing is giving the CL (and OM fans) what they want by reading and talking about this garbage.

msstate7
02-19-2015, 09:54 AM
I really wish there weren't 3 threads a day on both major MSU message boards about this kid. Its getting tired. And yes, the CL is a godawful paper and has been for years, but thats far more due to staff incompetence than any conspiracy. All we're doing is giving the CL (and OM fans) what they want by reading and talking about this garbage.

Our fanbase is definetely having a good melt over a HS junior who can't sign for 11 1/2 months

MaxedOutMaroon
02-19-2015, 10:00 AM

Don't forget, it's a "historic day" in Mississippi. Hear ye, hear ye, this ones going down for the ages. OM signs a 5 star and markets him like new found invention.

HancockCountyDog
02-19-2015, 10:44 AM
Its February, nothing else to talk about.

Lets not pretend if we had gotten a commitment from the nation's top QB we wouldn't be pumped. I know I would. Personally i don't think we should keep mentioning on here, who cares about someone that won't be eligible to play for the bears for 18 months.

Jack Lambert
02-19-2015, 11:04 AM

Lets not pretend if we had gotten a commitment from the nation's top QB we wouldn't be pumped. I know I would. Personally i don't think we should keep mentioning on here, who cares about someone that won't be eligible to play for the bears for 18 months.

But would the CL be doing full blown stories about him?

TheDogFather
02-19-2015, 11:09 AM

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/2015/02/18/pattersons-coach-never-seen-shea-shea/23647017/

You should stop wasting your time and effort reading that publication.

Jack Lambert
02-19-2015, 11:11 AM
sounds like a great kid. this could be the guy that finally gets OM over the hump in terms of being able to get a high school QB to eventually take snaps for them.

6'2" 185. He's not dak.

starkvegasdawg
02-19-2015, 11:14 AM
The CL is still in business? Haven't been there in so long I had almost forgotten about them.

HSVDawg
02-19-2015, 11:56 AM

There are literally dozens of other things to talk about. There are two major MSU sports seasons going on, a women's basketball team that is playing well, a men's BB game against our in-state rivals tomorrow night, Dan Mullen's contract extension, actual MSU prospects for recruiting (all sports), 2015 MSU football signees eligibility concerns, what band is playing at Super Bulldog Weekend, and the list goes on. Even 10 more Rick Ray job security threads per day would be easier to stomach than 1 more Shea Patterson thread.

BeardoMSU
02-19-2015, 12:03 PM

Best post of the week.

HancockCountyDog
02-19-2015, 12:10 PM
There are literally dozens of other things to talk about. There are two major MSU sports seasons going on, a women's basketball team that is playing well, a men's BB game against our in-state rivals tomorrow night, Dan Mullen's contract extension, actual MSU prospects for recruiting (all sports), 2015 MSU football signees eligibility concerns, what band is playing at Super Bulldog Weekend, and the list goes on. Even 10 more Rick Ray job security threads per day would be easier to stomach than 1 more Shea Patterson thread.

Everything you listed there doesn't move the needle. You know how I know that? Because there aren't 20 threads on various message boards about the women's bball team. No one really cares about a bubble team playing a below average SEC team.

I was talking about for the CL, i was talking about our board, which I think you agree with my general point - which is that I don't think we need another thread about this.

NCDawg
02-19-2015, 12:41 PM

Kinda' surprised Engie's radar troll didn't go off after this post, and he didn't list every post you've made. It is my understanding that in no way, shape, or form are you supposed to give any type praise to Ole Miss on this board.

Johnson85
02-19-2015, 01:17 PM
But would the CL be doing full blown stories about him?

They would do critical stories pointing out that he hasn't done anything to deserve the hype.

The CL really is weird. I'm pretty sure there's no conspiracy, but they have some serious challenges going forward as a traditional print outlet (to say the least), so it's particularly confusing why they wouldn't make an effort not to piss off a substantial part of the readership in the state, especially in a "soft" portion of the paper like sports. They could promote the three Mississippi schools and avoid criticizing them and their players outside of really newsworthy events (criminal investigations, scandals related to academics, etc. that occasionally pop up in college sports) without hurting their credibility as a paper at all. But apparently that little bit of effort is too much.

fishwater99
02-19-2015, 02:04 PM
They would do critical stories pointing out that he hasn't done anything to deserve the hype.

The CL really is weird. I'm pretty sure there's no conspiracy, but they have some serious challenges going forward as a traditional print outlet (to say the least), so it's particularly confusing why they wouldn't make an effort not to piss off a substantial part of the readership in the state, especially in a "soft" portion of the paper like sports. They could promote the three Mississippi schools and avoid criticizing them and their players outside of really newsworthy events (criminal investigations, scandals related to academics, etc. that occasionally pop up in college sports) without hurting their credibility as a paper at all. But apparently that little bit of effort is too much.

You make a good point, but the CL really is a Bear propaganda machine... It's really ridiculous...
I guess it's a big part of "The Network"...

QuadrupleOption
02-19-2015, 02:23 PM

Yep.

Last time I checked, we had one of the nation's best QBs PLAYING for us.

RougeDawg
02-19-2015, 02:58 PM
What will the CL headline be when he flops, transfers, or quits because he doesn't get what #TheNetwork has promised him?

ETA: it'll be on the last page of the opinion or classified selections if it even makes the paper at all.

Bothrops
02-19-2015, 03:16 PM
I'll be surprised if this kid brings as much to the table as Dak. They just don't have a great track record here.

Why is this kid ranked so high anyway? What does he do that other prospects don't, or can't do?? Does anyone know?

starkvegasdawg
02-19-2015, 03:22 PM
What will the CL headline be when he flops, transfers, or quits because he doesn't get what #TheNetwork has promised him?

ETA: it'll be on the last page of the opinion or classified selections if it even makes the paper at all.

We'll get a tweet from Bucky about honoring a commitment.

32 Dive
02-19-2015, 05:34 PM

And this surprises you, HOW?

ShotgunDawg
02-20-2015, 09:00 AM
I'll be surprised if this kid brings as much to the table as Dak. They just don't have a great track record here.

Why is this kid ranked so high anyway? What does he do that other prospects don't, or can't do?? Does anyone know?

Good questions. I watched a bunch of his film yesterday, and here is what I have.

1. He has a fluid, natural, undercontrol throwing motion that should allow him be fairly accurate. That being said, he only has average strength.

2. He is 6'1" or 6'2" 190 & his frame really can't handle much more. He won't be a guy that can take hit after hit or break a ton of tackles.

3. He isn't really fast, but he has OUTSTANDING feet and pocket presence. This is probably his biggest asset. He really has quick feet & knows how to use them within the pocket to extend the play while also keeping his eyes down field.

In conclusion, without knowing this kid's attitude, leadership, or aptitude levels, I think this kid is pretty good. However, on video, it appears like he is a little like the 12 Little Leaguer that throws 80 mph, everyone anoints, and then it turns out that he never got any better from the time he was 12 to 21. While he is pretty good and perhaps good enough, the kid appears to have maxed out his ability level. I don't see that as a negative, since that means Ole Miss really won't have to develop his physical tools, but the mental, decision making part of the game is the most important and toughest to project.

What does he do better than other high school QBs?

1. He's advanced mechanically - He has a consistent, adequate arm stroke and accuracy

2. He's has advanced technique - He has quick feet and extremely advanced feel for the pocket, for a high schooler. Most high school QBs can't uses their feet/arm/ and eyes together, but he does. Very evident that he's been well coached.

Downside - He's not all that physically talented or tooled up. There is a good chance that taller, stronger, more athletic guys will pass him over the next few years as they get more coaching and have the opportunity to be coached at the level Patterson has because Patterson is topped out and really doesn't have room for physical tool growth.

He seems a lot like Jimmy Clausen and that's not a bad thing. People make fun of Jimmy and he was never quite as good as he was supposed to be, but he's still playing in the NFL. People just over shot his ceiling, due to how advanced he was as a sophomore in high school.

What we are dealing with here is the complication in evaluating the difference between polish & talent. Patterson is the polished, well coached, suburban kid that overshadows the undercoached, more talented kid who will by pass once he is coached.

How MSU fans should look at this - MSU & Ole Miss can both have nice things. MSU has the #4 class right now and we are poised to grab a bunch of good players as well. Patterson absolutely does not fit MSU's offense, so Mullen probably wouldn't have recruited him anyway, since he's basically only be a quicker, slightly more refined version of Tyler Russell. MSU needs to worry about getting QBs that fit OUR system