PDA

View Full Version : Rick Ray's 2016 Recruiting Class

YazooDawg23
02-18-2015, 09:13 PM
Our coaches are going to see Josh Langford, 5 star guard form Madison, Al, tonight in his playoff game. I also know that we are going after 2016 5 star Mario Kegler very hard. With Simonds and Hicks already on board, if Ray can somehow pull this off he can guarantee himself 3 more years. Long shot I know but I was encouraged to see us at least trying.

engie
02-18-2015, 09:17 PM
Recruiting is definitely getting better.

Hire Horatio or Wayne Brent -- Guarantee Malik and probably Kegler... Seems like a win-win to me.

msstate7
02-18-2015, 09:31 PM
How hard are we pursuing Clayton hughes?

TheDogFather
02-18-2015, 10:12 PM

Hire Horatio or Wayne Brent -- Guarantee Malik and probably Kegler... Seems like a win-win to me.

I agree. Hire Horatio if that will get Malik.

msstate7
02-18-2015, 10:15 PM

Getting malik would make it worth hiring either of them. Getting malik and keglar would make it irresponsible of ray not to hire horatio/Brent

Ifyouonlyknew
02-18-2015, 10:38 PM
How hard are we pursuing Clayton hughes?

We're on him very hard. He's visited 2 or 3 times in the 8-10 months. Top 3 of OM, MSU, & TN in no order. He'd make a perfect SF compliment to Simonds.

dawg1
02-18-2015, 10:43 PM
Replace George Brooks with Horatio. That would be a good upgrade.

smootness
02-18-2015, 10:46 PM
First, I don't know if adding Horatio or Brent would guarantee anybody.

Even if it did, while I understand the argument, that's a never-ending cycle.

Do we fire Horatio to add the father of another 5-star a few years down the road? I would rather hire good coaches who can help recruit more than one kid, even if that kid is a 'program changer'.

Big4Dawg
02-18-2015, 10:49 PM
I know this is really really far away, but Ray is already recruiting him so might as well talk about it.

2018 is a big year for basketball in Mississippi. https://future150.com/hs/basketball-rankings/2018/

Top top 15 players, Robert Woodard from Columbus and LaDarius Marshall from Jackson. Robert's dad played for State and he's a State lock for as much as a 2018 player can be.

If we can get a coach (or Ray turns things around), we could get some elite talent in here.

Bully13
02-18-2015, 10:50 PM

this all day of the week and twice on Sunday. I had never seen Malik play until he schooled that WI school the other day on t.v. he's a NBA player already in my opinion. but I'm not a basketball expert. but what I saw was something I've never seen. Malik is unbelievable. hire his dad, and grant schollies to grandchildren. bring out mega juicy jumbos, whatever it takes.

smootness
02-18-2015, 10:53 PM
I just realized Brent is the JSU coach. That would be a good option, but I seriously doubt he would consider it.

msstate7
02-18-2015, 10:54 PM
this all day of the week and twice on Sunday. I had never seen Malik play until he schooled that WI school the other day on t.v. he's a NBA player already in my opinion. but I'm not a basketball expert. but what I saw was something I've never seen. Malik is unbelievable. hire his dad, and grant schollies to grandchildren. bring out mega juicy jumbos, whatever it takes.

Malik's awesome, but so was Ellis. Monta could score with anyone

dawg1
02-18-2015, 10:55 PM
Not saying we should hire Horatio just because of Malik, I just think that anyone is an upgrade over Brooks.

msstate7
02-18-2015, 10:55 PM
I just realized Brent is the JSU coach. That would be a good option, but I seriously doubt he would consider it.

He used to be an OM assistant.

Wonder how much Brent makes as jsu hc and how much we could pay him as an assistant

msstate7
02-18-2015, 10:58 PM
Not saying we should hire Horatio just because of Malik, I just think that anyone is an upgrade over Brooks.

I think we could upgrade more than brooks

klong-dog
02-18-2015, 11:05 PM
I guarantee you this is the only reason why OM is in play with Malik, doing what they do best, offer daddy, brother, cousin, girlfriend something. Bet you they've already offered Horatio a job & that's the only reason they're in his top 6.

Bully13
02-18-2015, 11:13 PM

Malik IS a player you get by hiring his DAD who PLAYED for MSU...I don't see the slightest downside... please enlighten us with your reasoning.

YazooDawg23
02-18-2015, 11:13 PM
Nm

YazooDawg23
02-18-2015, 11:15 PM

This is a very uneducated post

smootness
02-18-2015, 11:25 PM
Malik IS a player you get by hiring his DAD who PLAYED for MSU...I don't see the slightest downside... please enlighten us with your reasoning.

I don't think he was arguing against hiring Webster. I am, if the only reason is to get Malik, and I'll answer your question.

I'm ok with tipping the scales in a qualified guy's favor if it helps you in a case like this. I'm NOT in favor of just hiring somebody who gets you one recruit if you wouldn't otherwise consider them as a coach.

No one recruit is worth making a bad hire for. There are far too many variables. What if Newman (or any hypothetical recruit) gets injured and never plays? What if they are disappointing? What if they have a bad attitude and do more harm than good?

Even best-case scenario, Newman comes, tears it up for a year, we have a pretty good year, then he's gone and you have a guy on your small staff who isn't a good assistant. So you're back to where you were except with a worse staff. Do you then go hire the dad of the next big thing?

I get that you could go on a run, get exposure, etc. But I don't think one guy really changes much unless he takes you to at least a Final 4, and again, with one guy, there's far too much that can go wrong. Go hire a great recruiter, don't make a hire for one kid, no matter their hype.

dawgs
02-18-2015, 11:35 PM
if this were football recruiting, OM would've hired horatio last year. i really really really wish we'd play the game a little better sometimes.

First, I don't know if adding Horatio or Brent would guarantee anybody.

Even if it did, while I understand the argument, that's a never-ending cycle.

Do we fire Horatio to add the father of another 5-star a few years down the road? I would rather hire good coaches who can help recruit more than one kid, even if that kid is a 'program changer'.

it's not very often that sons of former msu stars are top 2-3 recruits in the country.

Bully13
02-18-2015, 11:37 PM
I don't think he was arguing against hiring Webster. I am, if the only reason is to get Malik, and I'll answer your question.

I'm ok with tipping the scales in a qualified guy's favor if it helps you in a case like this. I'm NOT in favor of just hiring somebody who gets you one recruit if you wouldn't otherwise consider them as a coach.

No one recruit is worth making a bad hire for. There are far too many variables. What if Newman (or any hypothetical recruit) gets injured and never plays? What if they are disappointing? What if they have a bad attitude and do more harm than good?

Even best-case scenario, Newman comes, tears it up for a year, we have a pretty good year, then he's gone and you have a guy on your small staff who isn't a good assistant. So you're back to where you were except with a worse staff. Do you then go hire the dad of the next big thing?

I get that you could go on a run, get exposure, etc. But I don't think one guy really changes much unless he takes you to at least a Final 4, and again, with one guy, there's far too much that can go wrong. Go hire a great recruiter, don't make a hire for one kid, no matter their hype.

from what I've seen, there is no hype with Malik. I understand what you say and your words have iron. but I've never seen what I saw watching this guy play. and please don't take my opinion because it is worthless as shit compared to those who watch high school and college basketball on a daily basis because I don't. but I saw a guy who was so much faster to the basket that talented opposition could not deal with his attack to the basket. his fade away jumpers at NBA range with talented defenders in his face was eye popping from what I was seeing. Yes, I was drinking. But I was constantly saying "holy shit" every time he got his hands on the ball. I really think this guy could be the next MJ. and I could be wrong because my limited overall knowledge is , yes , limited. but damned. I'll never forget what I saw the other night. that guy was total superman. I would hate the living hell if we missed out on him because we did not do everything needed to get him. he could end up being the greatest thing in MS sports history. and I want that to be MSU history, not some other college.

smootness
02-18-2015, 11:37 PM
if this were football recruiting, OM would've hired horatio last year. i really really really wish we'd play the game a little better sometimes.

it's not very often that sons of former msu stars are top 2-3 recruits in the country.

I understand, but I still think it's a bad move. Name me one recruit who ever changed a program by himself.

I'd rather the coach just make good hires.

smootness
02-18-2015, 11:38 PM
I get that Malik is great; I agree. But again, so much can happen with one guy.

Dajuan Wagner was absurd in HS. He still didn't change Memphis. And that was a best-case scenario.

dawgs
02-18-2015, 11:49 PM

Dajuan Wagner was absurd in HS. He still didn't change Memphis. And that was a best-case scenario.

well carmelo anthony pretty much carried syracuse to a title in his 1 season. i know syracuse was already a good program with a great coach, but in basketball 1 big time player can be the difference in a NIT team and a dangerous NCAA team.

smootness
02-19-2015, 12:04 AM
well carmelo anthony pretty much carried syracuse to a title in his 1 season. i know syracuse was already a good program with a great coach, but in basketball 1 big time player can be the difference in a NIT team and a dangerous NCAA team.

That Syracuse team would have challenged for the Sweet 16 at least without Carmelo.

But if I could see the future, I might do it. But again, too many variables to be worth the risk. Chances are very high that even best case, he doesn't do much for you long-term except give you a bad assistant coach.

klong-dog
02-19-2015, 12:16 AM
Definitely worth the risk. Hell, it's not like that it can get much worse than it already has been the past 3 years. We need Malik to get this program, fan base rejuvenated again.

dawgs
02-19-2015, 03:15 AM
That Syracuse team would have challenged for the Sweet 16 at least without Carmelo.

But if I could see the future, I might do it. But again, too many variables to be worth the risk. Chances are very high that even best case, he doesn't do much for you long-term except give you a bad assistant coach.

Well ideally it would re-energize the fan base and get us back in the recruiting game, by legitimizing ray, which begets better recruiting and better support and so on and so on to continue building the program.

One thing's for certain, We'd all absolutely be on the same page, one way or another because if ray flopped with Newman, even the biggest defenders wouldn't be able to argue he needs more time.

shoeless joe
02-19-2015, 07:50 AM
I guarantee you this is the only reason why OM is in play with Malik, doing what they do best, offer daddy, brother, cousin, girlfriend something. Bet you they've already offered Horatio a job & that's the only reason they're in his top 6.

Well David sanders is his coach at callaway so that prolly has a little to do with it also.

msstate7
02-19-2015, 07:58 AM
Do you guys think a win tonight could get ray some behind the scenes recruiting help?

If not, is there any finish to this year that will get our network to give Ray the help he needs?

klong-dog
02-19-2015, 08:16 AM
True. Forgot about Sanders being the coach.

msstate7
02-19-2015, 08:21 AM
True. Forgot about Sanders being the coach.

I think mailk threw us a bone bc of his dad and OM bc of his coach. I think we're both behind lsu and kentucky, but I think we have a better chance than OM.

YazooDawg23
02-19-2015, 09:18 AM
Guys you absolutely do WHATEVER it takes to get Malik. Hiring Horatio or Malik's barber would be worth it. I think the huge risk some of you guys are talking about is unfounded. What is the risk in hiring one assistant? We will still have 3 good basketball minds on the staff. Horatio or whoever can help "oversee" individual workouts. I'm sure it would be a one year deal anyway. Malik would change the trajectory of the program. With that being said, I think he ends up elsewhere.

Coach34
02-19-2015, 09:30 AM
I agree. Horatio should have already had a job long before now

fishwater99
02-19-2015, 09:55 AM
from what I've seen, there is no hype with Malik. I understand what you say and your words have iron. but I've never seen what I saw watching this guy play. and please don't take my opinion because it is worthless as shit compared to those who watch high school and college basketball on a daily basis because I don't. but I saw a guy who was so much faster to the basket that talented opposition could not deal with his attack to the basket. his fade away jumpers at NBA range with talented defenders in his face was eye popping from what I was seeing. Yes, I was drinking. But I was constantly saying "holy shit" every time he got his hands on the ball. I really think this guy could be the next MJ. and I could be wrong because my limited overall knowledge is , yes , limited. but damned. I'll never forget what I saw the other night. that guy was total superman. I would hate the living hell if we missed out on him because we did not do everything needed to get him. he could end up being the greatest thing in MS sports history. and I want that to be MSU history, not some other college.

Newman is really good, he's one and done if he want to be in the NBA. Monta, CJ and James Robinson were better players in HS.
I have seen Mailk put up 50, Monta had 65 and 72 in a game, and I also saw CJ's 55 against Hollywood Robinson's 50 in the State championship.
Othella Harrington was the best Big I have seen in MS HS bball.

maroonmania
02-19-2015, 09:59 AM

I don't know what you are thinking. If we could get Malik by hiring Horatio we should do it in a heartbeat. Getting Malik for one or two years would be huge for the MSU basketball program and even huger for Rick Ray. With Malik, Ray solidifies most of the MSU fanbase behind him and has additional time to improve recruiting and keep building the program. Without Malik Ray is teetering and if he comes back next year with no post-season then its almost assuredly bye-bye Rick Ray. And I don't see any of our current assistants as irreplaceable guys that HAVE to remain on staff. Plus nobody says Horatio has to remain on Ray's staff indefinitely if he is not pulling his weight. I really don't see a downside.

YazooDawg23
02-19-2015, 09:59 AM
Monta had a unique game and was an amazing scorer. Malik has a more complete game at this stage in his career. Monta has been a borderline NBA all star for most of his career. I think Malik will be a perennial all star player in the NBA. In the same mold as Kyrie Irving.

msstate7
02-19-2015, 10:02 AM
How about weatherspoon? Anyone seen him in person? Isn't his brother gonna be a highly rated player too?

ScottH
02-19-2015, 11:16 AM
I agree. Horatio should have already had a job long before now

Correct. We should be talking about Horatio's annual review not if we should hire him.

Raytoraid83
02-19-2015, 11:18 AM
Replace George Brooks with Horatio. That would be a good upgrade.

George brooks??? You do realize the only reasons Rick Ray has gotten better recruiting mississippi is brooks and brooks is the carver connection as well. I'm still not sure what Chris Hollander brings to the table. That previous gig at Evansville looks great on the resume though! And I thought Flannigan was gonna be at least an alright recruiter... I do agree with bringing Brent or Horatio on board. Just give me something that shows we are at least trying to change things and stop sitting stagnant hoping things will magically get better. Talking about a recruiting class two years from now doesn't do that for me...

chef dixon
02-19-2015, 11:20 AM
Still wondering how Ray convinced Simonds to come to MSU. I'm really worried about what our team will look like in Fall 2016. We are going to need someone to step up and be a scorer, maybe Weatherspoon can be that guy as a sophmore.

msstate7
02-19-2015, 11:45 AM
Still wondering how Ray convinced Simonds to come to MSU. I'm really worried about what our team will look like in Fall 2016. We are going to need someone to step up and be a scorer, maybe Weatherspoon can be that guy as a sophmore.

Ready and tookie should be able to score from the pg position

smootness
02-19-2015, 11:47 AM
There's a reason you don't see any program, even those that would be transformed by a 5-star talent, going out to hire dads as assistant coaches. It's a terrible way to make decisions on who will help run your program and is evidence of decision-making that will doom you.

Every coach on a 4-man staff is crucial.

Homedawg
02-19-2015, 11:54 AM
There's a reason you don't see any program, even those that would be transformed by a 5-star talent, going out to hire dads as assistant coaches. It's a terrible way to make decisions on who will help run your program and is evidence of decision-making that will doom you.

Lot of truth to this. Only time I can remember it working was kansas hiring Danny Manning's father.
Eta, Manning led them to a title but he wasn't a one man show, they had other good players. Of course, they ended up on probation too.

dawg1
02-19-2015, 11:54 AM
George brooks??? You do realize the only reasons Rick Ray has gotten better recruiting mississippi is brooks and brooks is the carver connection as well. I'm still not sure what Chris Hollander brings to the table. That previous gig at Evansville looks great on the resume though! And I thought Flannigan was gonna be at least an alright recruiter... I do agree with bringing Brent or Horatio on board. Just give me something that shows we are at least trying to change things and stop sitting stagnant hoping things will magically get better. Talking about a recruiting class two years from now doesn't do that for me...

You obviously haven't spent anytime around Brooks. The guy is an idiot. He may be an awesome recruiter, but he is not very smart. When Stans hired him, I knew that we were getting desperate. And then then Ray retained him. If Brooks was so awesome then it should have been a smoother transition as far as Ray's ability to recruit.

msstate7
02-19-2015, 12:13 PM
delete

Big4Dawg
02-19-2015, 12:40 PM

Name other 5 star recruits whose dad were basketball players?

maroonmania
02-19-2015, 12:43 PM

Yes, but not every 5 star talent has a Dad that played collegiately and did so at the school in question. Not sure what if any coaching background Horatio has but I know we pulled Brooks up from JUCO.

smootness
02-19-2015, 12:49 PM
Name other 5 star recruits whose dad were basketball players?

First, probably a lot more than you seem to think.

Second, why does this matter? If we don't care about the guy being dead weight on the coaching staff, who cares if he played basketball? Apparently most here believe we should go hire a CPA who happens to have a 5-star son so we can get that son.

Again, there's a reason programs aren't doing this. It's not some slam-dunk strategy to prosper.

And to maroonmania, I'm not sure what him playing at State has to do with it, either. Obviously even if Newman's dad had played at Washington, he would take an SEC assistant coaching job if offered.

YazooDawg23
02-19-2015, 12:53 PM
You obviously haven't spent anytime around Brooks. The guy is an idiot. He may be an awesome recruiter, but he is not very smart. When Stans hired him, I knew that we were getting desperate. And then then Ray retained him. If Brooks was so awesome then it should have been a smoother transition as far as Ray's ability to recruit.

I have spent plenty of time around Brooks and I can say he is not an idiot. He gave a great talk at Ray's camp two summers ago and is well-respected in Mississippi from people who know the game, which obviously excludes you.

C222
02-19-2015, 01:10 PM

Mario Chalmers pretty much won Kansas a National Title. I think they hired his dad to get him.

Memphis hired Keeland Lawson to get his 3, 5* sons.

We need to hire Horatio asap.

maroonmania
02-19-2015, 01:15 PM
First, probably a lot more than you seem to think.

Second, why does this matter? If we don't care about the guy being dead weight on the coaching staff, who cares if he played basketball? Apparently most here believe we should go hire a CPA who happens to have a 5-star son so we can get that son.

Again, there's a reason programs aren't doing this. It's not some slam-dunk strategy to prosper.

And to maroonmania, I'm not sure what him playing at State has to do with it, either. Obviously even if Newman's dad had played at Washington, he would take an SEC assistant coaching job if offered.

First, if our basketball program and current HC were already on solid ground I likely wouldn't be so apt to make the move. But we are where we are. Second, given Webster is an alumnus and former player at MSU, that should be a big plus in hiring him because he has ties to the school and understands the culture of the program. The fact is that in basketball, the players in a college program are far more important than who the assistant coaches are. They just are. The biggest thing the assistants do for you is recruit players followed by scouting opponents. Bottom line, if Ray doesn't sign Malik there is probably a greater than 50-50 shot that he doesn't last as the HC of MSU basketball. That's where we are.

Dawg61
02-19-2015, 01:15 PM
I have spent plenty of time around Brooks and I can say he is not an idiot. He gave a great talk at Ray's camp two summers ago and is well-respected in Mississippi from people who know the game, which obviously excludes you.

Someone needs to go boys. We can't have this terrible of a shooting, passing, dribbling, offensive, turnover machine team without someone getting a pink slip. PICK ONE!! Y'all don't want it to be Ray so pick any one of his assistants and bring in Horatio. We want Newman. Horatio's territory will be Jackson and surrounding counties. Not one player we want is to get out of that area without Horatio all over them. It's a good risk if it brings Newman.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-19-2015, 01:17 PM
Mario Chalmers pretty much won Kansas a National Title. I think they hired his dad to get him.

Memphis hired Keeland Lawson to get his 3, 5* sons.

We need to hire Horatio asap.

Chalmer's dad had won 2 state championships & coached for over 20yrs. Keeland Lawson is considered to be the best coach in the city of Memphis, has coached for over 10yrs, & has also won a state title. I understand your premise but not good examples. These guys are actually legitimate coaches.

maroonmania
02-19-2015, 01:19 PM
Chalmer's dad had won 2 state championships & coached for over 20yrs. Keeland Lawson is considered to be the best coach in the city of Memphis, has coached for over 10yrs, & has also won a state title. I understand your premise but not good examples. These guys are actually legitimate coaches.

So can someone answer what Horatio does? Has he been involved in coaching?

Dawg61
02-19-2015, 01:21 PM

Has Rick Ray?

C222
02-19-2015, 01:21 PM

So they would've been hired without having 5* sons?

Ifyouonlyknew
02-19-2015, 01:22 PM

Honestly I'm not sure what he does but he's never had an official coaching title anywhere. I'm not saying don't hire him but people can't act all appalled & laugh at OM hiring Shea Patterson brother then turn around & say let's hire Horatio. Not saying you did just speaking in general terms. I'd much rather hire Brent or even David Sanders bc those guys have at least had a whistle around their neck & coached before. Also I don't think Horatio wants to be that directly involved with Malik's decision to take a job on a coaching staff.

YazooDawg23
02-19-2015, 01:24 PM
Someone needs to go boys. We can't have this terrible of a shooting, passing, dribbling, offensive, turnover machine team without someone getting a pink slip. PICK ONE!! Y'all don't want it to be Ray so pick any one of his assistants and bring in Horatio. We want Newman. Horatio's territory will be Jackson and surrounding counties. Not one player we want is to get out of that area without Horatio all over them. It's a good risk if it brings Newman.

First of all, I don't think bringing in John Wooden would help our offense at this time. I would gladly give up any one of our current assistants to hire Big Train if it guaranteed Malik. Brooks would be my last choice to get the ax.

Why do you guys think Horatio wants to coach? From what I hear he could get equivalent to 3 or 4 years salary of an assistant coach anyway.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-19-2015, 01:24 PM
So they would've been hired without having 5* sons?

Most definitely their sons got their foot in the door. My point was they actually were good coaches. They had proven they could help the staff even after their son(s) are gone a year or 2 down the rode.

Alldawg
02-19-2015, 01:30 PM
I understand, but I still think it's a bad move. Name me one recruit who ever changed a program by himself.

I'd rather the coach just make good hires.

Smoot, I understand your reasoning but I am not sure I agree with it. We all know what goes on in football and basketball recruiting. We all know money changes hands. What is the difference in this situation if you hire him to a one year agreed contract?

C222
02-19-2015, 01:35 PM
Most definitely their sons got their foot in the door. My point was they actually were good coaches. They had proven they could help the staff even after their son(s) are gone a year or 2 down the rode.

They got hired due to their sons talents. Same would be the case for Horation. I'm sure we could find something for him to do.

maroonmania
Smoot, I understand your reasoning but I am not sure I agree with it. We all know what goes on in football and basketball recruiting. We all know money changes hands. What is the difference in this situation if you hire him to a one year agreed contract?

Exactly if the choices are:

a. Malik at MSU with one less than fully qualified assistant on staff OR
b. No Malik at MSU but all assistants are fully qualified

what MSU fan in their right mind wouldn't want a.?

But, like was said, Horatio may not even want an assistant's job, I don't personally know.

Dawg61
First of all, I don't think bringing in John Wooden would help our offense at this time. I would gladly give up any one of our current assistants to hire Big Train if it guaranteed Malik. Brooks would be my last choice to get the ax.

Why do you guys think Horatio wants to coach? From what I hear he could get equivalent to 3 or 4 years salary of an assistant coach anyway.

Wes Flanigan it is.

Dawg61
02-19-2015, 01:37 PM
Exactly if the choices are:

a. Malik at MSU with one less than fully qualified assistant on staff OR
b. No Malik at MSU but all assistants are fully qualified

what MSU fan in their right mind wouldn't want a.?

But, like was said, Horatio may not even want an assistant's job, I don't personally know.

Hahaha we have a "less than full qualified" HEAD COACH!

Ifyouonlyknew
02-19-2015, 01:50 PM
They got hired due to their sons talents. Same would be the case for Horation. I'm sure we could find something for him to do.

Again if you want to hire Horatio I have no problem with that but the comparisions aren't similar. You're comparing 2 guys with a combine 35yrs of coaching experience vs a guy who's never even coached AAU ball. No issue with hiring Horatio but these guys had resumes qualified to be college assistants. Horatio may have a resume to be a grad assistant. All I'm saying.

smootness
02-19-2015, 03:03 PM
I've already said that if you have several guys you like, and one has a 5-star son, might as well hire the guy with the 5-star son.

What I'm not in favor of is hiring someone totally unqualified and unable to do an adequate job just to get his son to come to school. The downside is that you weaken your staff. I realize some people think one 5-star one-and-done kid is more important than making good, smart hires for your staff, but I completely disagree.

If this were a guy that could help us in recruiting in general, then that's different. If he has serious connections somewhere that could help us land multiple kids, fine. I'm not in favor of it for one kid, no matter who it is. I've already outlined why.

And I still fail to see what Webster's connection to State has to do with it being a better hire. If there are two guys who are unqualified but one played at State, I still don't want either. His connection to the program doesn't help us at all there. Whoever we hired would instantly be connected to the program because they'd be a coach here.

ETA: Anyone who thinks Horatio Webster would take a one-year contract to be an assistant here, knowing he would be gone after that year, is insane. It would have to be a guy looking to get into coaching to begin with. He's not going to say, 'Yeah, pay me for a year and I'll tell my kid to come here.' That's ridiculous.