PDA

View Full Version : Really good article by Wimberly on M&WN on QB Patterson

Coach34
02-18-2015, 08:50 PM
http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2015/02/18/lets-pump-breaks-shea-patterson/

Puts recruiting in perspective before these guys suit up in SEC ball

YazooDawg23
02-18-2015, 08:57 PM
This article will enrage the rebels. I expect a 3 page long thread on the Spirit.

smootness
02-18-2015, 09:50 PM
I agree with that article, but honestly, I'd rather us just ignore it.

ShotgunDawg
02-18-2015, 09:50 PM
I'll ask again, are we getting to the point in college football where it means more and we enjoy recruiting more than the actual games?

Do we win games so that we get better recruits or do the we get better recruits in hopes that we will win more games?

I am seriously beginning to wonder what means more to college football fan bases.

The thing that drives recruiting is that it's a 12 month story, whereas actual games are only a 4 month story. Recruiting is bigger

Todd4State
02-18-2015, 10:10 PM
Ummmm....I don't think WE care more about recruiting than winning games. I think most State fans have a handle on what recruiting is in the context of what it is.

The thing that I think Ole Miss likes about recruiting is you can project hope of a better tomorrow without anything of substance other than the "stars" by the players name which is assigned subjectively. It's a way to pretend that they are relevant. When it doesn't work out, they can always use Nutt, Orgeron, etc as the scapegoat down the road and then rinse and repeat with another cast of characters.

phatdog
02-18-2015, 10:17 PM
The only thing I disagree with: "NFL great Cliff Stoudt"

Todd4State
02-18-2015, 10:20 PM
I'm pretty sure he was mocking Ole Miss fans with sarcasm with the greatness of Stoudt.

Jsndawg
02-18-2015, 10:24 PM
If your coaching staff is going to let TSUN qb with a broken ankle sit back all day and pick you apart it will not matter how highly recruited he is!!!! Shit he can be a damn ASU reject juco transfer and beat your ass!

thf24
02-19-2015, 12:28 AM
To me, all that needs to be considered in relation to OM and QB's is how they had six on their roster in 2009, and how they were saying prior to the season that any of them could start for an SEC team.

dawgpound
02-19-2015, 11:45 AM
I agree with the article even though its very exaggerated and think every tsun fan needs to read it before they tell me how great he will be and how they will win a natty with him

ScoobaDawg
02-19-2015, 12:51 PM
When again was the last time a QB signed out of High School been a starter at Mississippi?
Does it really matter. He is just another roster filler until whoever the next Scooba Tech QB comes along.

BossDawg
02-19-2015, 01:16 PM
I'll ask again, are we getting to the point in college football where it means more and we enjoy recruiting more than the actual games?

Do we win games so that we get better recruits or do the we get better recruits in hopes that we will win more games?

I am seriously beginning to wonder what means more to college football fan bases.

The thing that drives recruiting is that it's a 12 month story, whereas actual games are only a 4 month story. Recruiting is bigger

Recruiting is bigger for UMiss fans because it's a game of popularity to them. The "bigger" the recruit, the more validation they get that they are sought out by relatively "important" people. It's why they are still going batshit crazy over Katy Perry. It's basically their way of showing everyone just how awesome they are. They are pathetic attention whores, it's that simple, and they will go to exhausting lengths to get that attention they crave.

maroonmania
02-19-2015, 01:42 PM
Recruiting is bigger for UMiss fans because it's a game of popularity to them. The "bigger" the recruit, the more validation they get that they are sought out by relatively "important" people. It's why they are still going batshit crazy over Katy Perry. It's basically their way of showing everyone just how awesome they are. They are pathetic attention whores, it's that simple, and they will go to exhausting lengths to get that attention they crave.

You've definitely hit on it. Due to the reasons you state there are a LOT of Bear fans that get more satisfaction out of a "recruiting win" than an actual on field win.

bulldogcountry1
02-19-2015, 02:00 PM
I've never understood the widespread use of the term "officially committed". There is nothing official about a verbal commitment that can be changed the next day.

It always makes me think of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuuv0syoHnM

RougeDawg
02-19-2015, 04:00 PM
You've definitely hit on it. Due to the reasons you state there are a LOT of Bear fans that get more satisfaction out of a "recruiting win" than an actual on field win.

It's a damn good thing for those delusional bastards then. They don't have much to brag about on the field since the NCAA stopped their cheating and unlimited football scholarship scheme they implemented during the Vaught days. Seriously where has their $$recruiting$$ gotten them the last 5 season? They have finished behind us every season. OM olayer development is exemplified by the "development" of Liggins.

Dawgcentral
02-19-2015, 07:41 PM
At this point in time, his commitment equals the value of having a Yeti sticker on the back glass of your truck.

I guess some of you are sporting that sticker. Maybe there's a good reason, I just haven't discovered what that is. My best guess is it's all about telling folks how much you're willing to spend on a cooler?

GTHOM
02-19-2015, 11:57 PM
If your coaching staff is going to let TSUN qb with a broken ankle sit back all day and pick you apart it will not matter how highly recruited he is!!!! Shit he can be a damn ASU reject juco transfer and beat your ass!

sad but true

GTHOM
02-19-2015, 11:57 PM
At this point in time, his commitment equals the value of having a Yeti sticker on the back glass of your truck.

I guess some of you are sporting that sticker. Maybe there's a good reason, I just haven't discovered what that is. My best guess is it's all about telling folks how much you're willing to spend on a cooler?

Dont forget your hat too bro****