PDA

View Full Version : Listening to Stricklin on OOB

mparkerfd20
02-18-2015, 09:37 AM
He'll never admit defeat with Rick Ray. I personally believe if it's up to him Ray will be here as long as he wants. Sickening.

missouridawg
02-18-2015, 09:40 AM
Is he supposed to say, with Ray being current coach, that he made a terrible hire?

WTF do you want him to do? Some of you people are a ****ing clueless sometimes.

DudyDawg
02-18-2015, 09:42 AM
"Well, I really screwed up. This Ray guy came into a dumpster fire and poured gas on it. Dude blows". That what he should say?

Dawg Corps
02-18-2015, 09:48 AM
I'd much prefer that SS keep his dignity publicly and stay behind his coach when speaking to the media. Anything else is just tacky behavior from an AD.

thf24
02-18-2015, 09:49 AM
I can't figure out if some of you guys are trolling, or if you're just that thick-headed on this point. No matter what the fans are saying or your own feelings are, in public you back your guy and give him full confidence up until the moment you show him the door. Period. Look at Jeremy Foley and Will Muschamp. None of us have any idea what Stricklin really thinks about Rick Ray's performance and what his current plans for his future with us are. If you believe this bullshit that's been concocted on here that Stricklin is going to back Ray indefinitely no matter what because of his supposed unwillingness to admit he made the wrong hire, then you are a special kind of moron.

TheRef
02-18-2015, 09:51 AM
Exactly...who has ever heard an AD say "Our coach sucks balls, and I'm sorry I ever hired him," and keep his job? The reason why you don't see that is because that basically makes you the AD no one wants to work with.

quickstrike2
02-18-2015, 09:57 AM
Yeah, Scott would be stupid to go on there and say anything other than positive stuff. I really like Scott and think he has handled most things during his tenure really well, but I do think he handled that basketball hire wrong. I think he will show his pride and possibly keep Ray longer than he needs to, but hopefully we get this thing heading into the right direction and this won't be a problem.

mparkerfd20
02-18-2015, 09:59 AM
Yep I went there and opened another can of worms. And yes I was somewhat trolling intentionally, because the lines on this board are pretty predictable when it comes to this topic. I was bored so dangled that bait and so far 5 of you have bit.

No, I expect nothing less from an AD than what Scott is doing with the media. I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't get the warm fuzzies that Stricklin sees the Rick Ray experiment as bad as many in the fan base do and think his leash will probably wind up being longer than it should be or many of us want it to be. Stricklin is your man when it comes to getting funds to increase positive atmosphere, buildings, etc. But, on things like this... his performance is still a little cloudy.

War Machine Dawg
02-18-2015, 09:59 AM
He'll never admit defeat with Rick Ray. I personally believe if it's up to him Ray will be here as long as he wants. Sickening.

http://i.imgur.com/D4piMcS.gif

Coach34
02-18-2015, 10:01 AM
I think some people are actually nervous Ray may actually do something next year with a veteran team that us getting better. Not to mention recruiting is getting better. Losing Bloodman and Roq will make this team better. Our next 2 recruiting classes are solid. The program has some hope finally

DudyDawg
02-18-2015, 10:02 AM
Yep I went there and opened another can of worms. And yes I was somewhat trolling intentionally, because the lines on this board are pretty predictable when it comes to this topic. I was bored so dangled that bait and so far 5 of you have bit.

Lol sureeeeeeee you were

DudyDawg
02-18-2015, 10:03 AM
I think some people are actually nervous Ray may actually do something next year with a veteran team that us getting better. Not to mention recruiting is getting better. Losing Bloodman and Roq will make this team better. Our next 2 recruiting classes are solid. The program has some hope finally

Honest question, what is that "hope" that you see? Hope for being a tourney team? Winning program?

TheRef
02-18-2015, 10:03 AM
Nice attempt at a save, buddy....

Coach34
02-18-2015, 10:09 AM
Honest question, what is that "hope" that you see? Hope for being a tourney team? Winning program?

I see a team that had it been healthy in December- would be 15-8 right now and fighting for an NIT berth. 3-3 down the stretch would have been an 18-12 season heading into the SEC Tourney. Now then- the injuries happened and it is what it is- but progress is being made. Next year's team with more growth and added talent will be even better. They will be an NIT team and who knows. Then we have another good recruiting class coming in.

Step by step

DudyDawg
02-18-2015, 10:18 AM
I see a team that had it been healthy in December- would be 15-8 right now and fighting for an NIT berth. 3-3 down the stretch would have been an 18-12 season heading into the SEC Tourney. Now then- the injuries happened and it is what it is- but progress is being made. Next year's team with more growth and added talent will be even better. They will be an NIT team and who knows. Then we have another good recruiting class coming in.

Step by step

I agree progress is being made compared to years 1&2. There's no denying that.

Do you think Ray can make MSU a consistent (not every year, but in the hunt every year mostly) NCAA tourney team? I'm not sure he can. I'm also not sure he can't.

Liverpooldawg
02-18-2015, 10:25 AM

That's insane. Nobody wants Ray to fail. I want him to win a national championship at MSU. So do all other MSU fans. You can't see the forest for the trees.

maroonmania
02-18-2015, 10:34 AM

Look, if Ray takes his team to the NCAAs next year THEN I think everyone is on the same page of fully backing Ray. What I think a lot of MSU fans fear is that Ray takes a team full of veteran players that have been in his system for year after year and only makes the NIT, gets another year and comes back and slides back to no post-season play and we are essentially right back to wondering why we wasted time holding onto Ray. THAT would be my fear. He really needed to at least threaten to make some kind of post-season play this year for me to feel good about him. But alas, we always have the excuses ready of why it didn't end up that way. That's why in a different thread I was trying to get a feel for what is expected of Ray for next year (cause I too believe now he is getting that 4th year). With the veteran team we have next year we either need to make the NCAAs or come awfully dang close at minimum to warrant everyone putting their chips on the table for Ray going forward.

War Machine Dawg
02-18-2015, 10:39 AM
That's insane. Nobody wants Ray to fail. I want him to win a national championship at MSU. So do all other MSU fans. You can't see the forest for the trees.

http://i.imgur.com/JOkLDJN.gif

Liverpooldawg
02-18-2015, 10:45 AM
Seriously WMD, who wants a coach at MSU to fail? That means we are losing( or it usually does) and no one wants that. Ray has a chance to get to .500 overall this year. That was my threshold for ME wanting him to get another year. I hope he makes it and for that to happen tomorrow night is huge. If nothing comes up I'm planning on being there.

Irondawg
02-18-2015, 10:46 AM

Step by step

Honestly this is my fear as well. My concern is that thus far I've seen nothing that gives me confidence in his ability to coach on the offensive end of the floor. I also see a team that should be fighting for a NIT bid as is probably good enough for the NIT.

Recruiting is getting better but my fear is that overall Ray becomes "decent". Maybe I'm wrong and he becomes good, but I'm nervous we get to that 19-14 range every year and you start having to figure out if that's good enough or to fire the guy.

I also think we'll miss Roq more than you think. Yeah, he's terrible sometimes, but he's a springy, athletic guy that can make some plays in the post. He's not irreplaceable but we dont' have anybody else like that. My biggest concern next year is the post. Black is getting better but right now he has no offensive game and I have no clue what to expect from Zap.

maroonmania
02-18-2015, 10:55 AM
Honestly this is my fear as well. My concern is that thus far I've seen nothing that gives me confidence in his ability to coach on the offensive end of the floor. I also see a team that should be fighting for a NIT bid as is probably good enough for the NIT.

Recruiting is getting better but my fear is that overall Ray becomes "decent". Maybe I'm wrong and he becomes good, but I'm nervous we get to that 19-14 range every year and you start having to figure out if that's good enough or to fire the guy.

I also think we'll miss Roq more than you think. Yeah, he's terrible sometimes, but he's a springy, athletic guy that can make some plays in the post. He's not irreplaceable but we dont' have anybody else like that. My biggest concern next year is the post. Black is getting better but right now he has no offensive game and I have no clue what to expect from Zap.

True, hard to blow off losing the player that currently is our leading scorer and our leader in minutes played per game.

War Machine Dawg
02-18-2015, 10:59 AM
Seriously WMD, who wants a coach at MSU to fail? That means we are losing( or it usually does) and no one wants that. Ray has a chance to get to .500 overall this year. That was my threshold for ME wanting him to get another year. I hope he makes it and for that to happen tomorrow night is huge. If nothing comes up I'm planning on being there.

I'm not getting dragged into this argument. I simply meant this thread is now devolving into the shit show that every other basketball thread on this board does. So far as I'm concerned, basketball is dead. It's baseball season. Both sides need to move on and talk about anything other than MSU basketball. The board will be better for it.

mparkerfd20
02-18-2015, 11:00 AM

I hope he does. But if he does, I hope he builds on it and it's not just a Croomesque Libery Bowl appearance part deux.

mparkerfd20
02-18-2015, 11:03 AM
I'm not getting dragged into this argument. I simply meant this thread is now devolving into the shit show that every other basketball thread on this board does. So far as I'm concerned, basketball is dead. It's baseball season. Both sides need to move on and talk about anything other than MSU basketball. The board will be better for it.

Agreed. Hate I even mentioned basketball now. Too long of a wait between baseball games without my Tuesday night fix I guess.

HancockCountyDog
02-18-2015, 11:06 AM

The concern is 20 wins and an NIT bid, then we lose everyone and we start this whole process over. The impact recruits won't be here until Nov 2016, and then they will be freshman.

Coach34
02-18-2015, 11:07 AM
I agree progress is being made compared to years 1&2. There's no denying that.

Do you think Ray can make MSU a consistent (not every year, but in the hunt every year mostly) NCAA tourney team? I'm not sure he can. I'm also not sure he can't.

Im not sure he can either. But I do like our effort and the way we defend right now. Got to get better offensively tho

Coach34
02-18-2015, 11:13 AM
The concern is 20 wins and an NIT bid, then we lose everyone and we start this whole process over. The impact recruits won't be here until Nov 2016, and then they will be freshman.

I get that- I do. But I think a team of Ready, Zuppardo, Black, Houston, Tookie, Endo, plus the recruits coming this Summer and next will be fine for 2016-2017

JOHNHEVESYMADE
02-18-2015, 11:16 AM
Keeping Ray around is delaying the inevitable we have to a recruit at an ELITE level not "solid" recruiting classes if we want to win championships. If y'all want a consistent 15-18 win team like Brownell at Clemson then keep Ray. I simply don't see how Ray is going to get the job done and I don't see an urgency to win and win now which is frustrating to me. The man makes 1 million dollars a year.

BiscuitEater
02-18-2015, 11:25 AM
Im not sure he can either. But I do like our effort and the way we defend right now. Got to get better offensively tho

I see the effort and spurts at defense. Would be interested in your honest opinion of the offense that Ray runs.

DudyDawg
02-18-2015, 11:42 AM
I see the effort and spurts at defense. Would be interested in your honest opinion of the offense that Ray runs.

One word. Stagnant. Lack of screens, lack of the correct cut off of screens, lack of smart cuts. Oh, and turnovers

Percho
02-18-2015, 12:33 PM
I can't figure out if some of you guys are trolling, or if you're just that thick-headed on this point. No matter what the fans are saying or your own feelings are, in public you back your guy and give him full confidence up until the moment you show him the door. Period. Look at Jeremy Foley and Will Muschamp. None of us have any idea what Stricklin really thinks about Rick Ray's performance and what his current plans for his future with us are. If you believe this bullshit that's been concocted on here that Stricklin is going to back Ray indefinitely no matter what because of his supposed unwillingness to admit he made the wrong hire, then you are a special kind of moron.

Just a thank you. Thanks, I did not want to have to say to them, in bold, for I agree with you.

HancockCountyDog
02-18-2015, 12:55 PM
I get that- I do. But I think a team of Ready, Zuppardo, Black, Houston, Tookie, Endo, plus the recruits coming this Summer and next will be fine for 2016-2017

I really don't want to debate this point, I think we are at a "agree to disagree" stage.

If we go out and win 20 games next year and make the NIT, I personally think it will be a Croom Liberty bowl situation. We were so close to being stuck with the walrus for years. Thank God the bears put us out of our misery. A 20 win season would be like if we had gone 6-6 in 2008.

I think Ray is a good person but he is starting to remind me of Rod Barnes. Everyone always said what a great guy Barnes was. People always say that when they are kicking your ass. Everyone talks about Ray in those terms, "Kids play hard, don't get in trouble, never give up". I remember taunting bear friends with that about Barnes, with the hope that he never got fired.

Just agree to disagree.

tcdog70
02-18-2015, 01:04 PM

If Ricky makes it to Next Year, I certainly will rejoice in post season Play. With an experienced group this year you would think we would play in the NIT this year. If Ray could magically become a decent Head Coach I would be glad to praise Him as our HC. He better sign up some talent because He is losing all his firepower next year. I don't see anyone that he has signed so far averaging ten points a game except maybe Ready. You are dissing on Roq, Why? Most games we have won or come close in Roq has played well.

Liverpooldawg
02-18-2015, 01:10 PM
I just got a ticket, I'm going to be there tomorrow night. Anybody else going to show their support?

smootness
02-18-2015, 01:25 PM
Keeping Ray around is delaying the inevitable we have to a recruit at an ELITE level not "solid" recruiting classes if we want to win championships. If y'all want a consistent 15-18 win team like Brownell at Clemson then keep Ray. I simply don't see how Ray is going to get the job done and I don't see an urgency to win and win now which is frustrating to me. The man makes 1 million dollars a year.

1) Even Stans didn't recruit at an elite level, at least with the guys who actually showed up. Our 2015 and 2016 classes are the kind that Stans generally brought in.

2) Do you know what other SEC coaches make?

quickstrike2
02-18-2015, 01:43 PM

Anybody nervous that Ray may do something just has an agenda. I myself want him to do well. Any criticism I have given him has been warranted, there is still much doubt in him as our basketball coach. However, I do seem some sign of life and next year should present itself well. A good NIT type year should be the absolute minimum next year and that is very obtainable. After that, we have to keep making steps forward. Can Ray do that? I think he should be able to, but who knows.

Coach34
02-18-2015, 01:50 PM
1) Even Stans didn't recruit at an elite level, at least with the guys who actually showed up. Our 2015 and 2016 classes are the kind that Stans generally brought in.

Funny how nobody ever mentions Ray is the lowest paid coach in the SEC

mparkerfd20
02-18-2015, 02:50 PM

Deservedly so at this juncture.

Eric Nies Grind Time
02-18-2015, 02:51 PM

It is not a realistic goal to win men's basketball championships at MSU. Our goal should be making the tourney consistently.

maroonmania
02-18-2015, 02:55 PM

I think that has a lot to do with the fact that he doesn't have a resume to earn more, not that we wouldn't pay more if he actually gave us a reason to.

JOHNHEVESYMADE
02-18-2015, 02:55 PM

Well he's 12-36 in SEC play so paying him 1 million a year sounds like an awful lot to me. We could have easily gotten him for less. So our 2015 class consists of a too small scoring point guard, a raw big man, and a good 2 guard who isn't the messiah. I am generous in saying that is an average recruiting class by SEC standards considering our competition.

HoopsDawg
02-18-2015, 03:33 PM
Well he's 12-36 in SEC play so paying him 1 million a year sounds like an awful lot to me. We could have easily gotten him for less. So our 2015 class consists of a too small scoring point guard, a raw big man, and a good 2 guard who isn't the messiah. I am generous in saying that is an average recruiting class by SEC standards considering our competition.

Pretty spot on.

Dawg61
02-18-2015, 03:35 PM

After Ray is NIT bubble next year will he get a raise? Sounds to me like all he needs to do is be NIT bubble for SS to sign him back up for another 2-4 years and that means he's getting a raise. 12-36 in the SEC with zero top 25 wins, 40 point beat downs to Mizzou, UNC, Vandy, Texas, Florida. Losses to Upstate, Arkansas St., McNeese St., Troy. 9 points in a half and 47 points scored after attempting 44 free throws. Worst SEC record twice in two decades and worst overall record twice in two decades. Worst actual attendance three years in a row since we played in the Tin Gym. SWEET!!!! Let's sign him up for twenty more years.

HoopsDawg
02-18-2015, 03:43 PM
After Ray is NIT bubble next year will he get a raise? Sounds to me like all he needs to do is be NIT bubble for SS to sign him back up for another 2-4 years and that means he's getting a raise. 12-36 in the SEC with zero top 25 wins, 40 point beat downs to Mizzou, UNC, Vandy, Texas, Florida. Losses to Upstate, Arkansas St., McNeese St., Troy. 9 points in a half and 47 points scored after attempting 44 free throws. Worst SEC record twice in two decades and worst overall record twice in two decades. Worst actual attendance three years in a row since we played in the Tin Gym. SWEET!!!! Let's sign him up for twenty more years.

It will be tough to fire Ray after next season b/c we will be one of the few teams in the country to return 4 of 5 starters including 3 seniors who have played together for 4 years. It will be hard for Ray not to win 18 games or so, and you won't be able to fire him at that point. I like our Weatherspoon and our 2016 guys, but his recruiting to this point has been very, very disappointing. He has to find a post scorer to replace Ware. Ndoye aint it.

Dawg61
02-18-2015, 03:50 PM
It will be tough to fire Ray after next season b/c we will be one of the few teams in the country to return 4 of 5 starters including 3 seniors who have played together for 4 years. It will be hard for Ray not to win 18 games or so, and you won't be able to fire him at that point. I like our Weatherspoon and our 2016 guys, but his recruiting to this point has been very, very disappointing. He has to find a post scorer to replace Ware. Ndoye aint it.

He has to find four guys that can shoot, pass, dribble and have a basketball IQ above junior high level. Trivia time. Whose the smartest player we have on the team right now? If your answer is tomato you're correct.

Liverpooldawg
02-18-2015, 03:59 PM
It is not a realistic goal to win men's basketball championships at MSU. Our goal should be making the tourney consistently.

We have won SEC titles and were in the Final Four once. It darn well is realistic.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-18-2015, 04:03 PM

That will be the key on whether Ray can build off what should be his best year next year or if his tenure goes the way of Croom. He'll have a Sr PG in Ready, a Soph PG in Tookie, a Soph Combo Guard in Weatherspoon, a Fr SG in Simonds, & a Jr SF in Houston. That group of 5 guys should be able to handle any perimeter needs we may have. Up front you'll have a Jr PF in Black, a Jr C in Ndoye, a Fr Combo Forward in Hicks, & a Soph PF in Strugg. Now I'm not expecting Black or Ndoye to ever be dominating big men but 1 of those 2 guys in 2yrs should be able to give us 8-10ppg. I'm expecting it to be Black. Now the key for Ray is to find a legit scoring big man in the 2016 class. If he does that then all of a sudden the roster doesn't look nearly as void of talent as people think.

PG - Ready SG - Simonds SF - Houston PF - Black C - 2016 Big Man. Then you're bringing Tookie, Weatherspoon, Hicks, Strugg, & Ndoye off the bench.

Dawg61
02-18-2015, 04:12 PM
That will be the key on whether Ray can build off what should be his best year next year or if his tenure goes the way of Croom. He'll have a Sr PG in Ready, a Soph PG in Tookie, a Soph Combo Guard in Weatherspoon, a Fr SG in Simonds, & a Jr SF in Houston. That group of 5 guys should be able to handle any perimeter needs we may have. Up front you'll have a Jr PF in Black, a Jr C in Ndoye, a Fr Combo Forward in Hicks, & a Soph PF in Strugg. Now I'm not expecting Black or Ndoye to ever be dominating big men but 1 of those 2 guys in 2yrs should be able to give us 8-10ppg. I'm expecting it to be Black. Now the key for Ray is to find a legit scoring big man in the 2016 class. If he does that then all of a sudden the roster doesn't look nearly as void of talent as people think.

PG - Ready SG - Simonds SF - Houston PF - Black C - 2016 Big Man. Then you're bringing Tookie, Weatherspoon, Hicks, Strugg, & Ndoye off the bench.

Don't forget our secret hidden weapon the Adam Morrison clone Zuppardo.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-18-2015, 04:16 PM
Don't forget our secret hidden weapon the Adam Morrison clone Zuppardo.

He'll be gone in 2016. I'm not expecting him to be able to get a medical RS but we'll see.

Dawg61
02-18-2015, 04:20 PM
He'll be gone in 2016. I'm not expecting him to be able to get a medical RS but we'll see.

What about a normal redshirt? You gotta be shitting me if we only get one year of play from Adam Morrison.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-18-2015, 04:22 PM
What about a normal redshirt? You gotta be shitting me if we only get one year of play from Adam Morrison.

He's already used his normal RS when he transferred from Arky St to USM.

Dawg61
02-18-2015, 04:23 PM
We'll also have Baller Dunlap whose about to go through a big hair growth spurt.

Dawg61
02-18-2015, 04:25 PM
He's already used his normal RS when he transferred from Arky St to USM.

Awesome. NCAA doesn't give out medical RS to Adam Morrison?

Raytoraid83
02-18-2015, 04:27 PM
40 point beat downs to Mizzou, UNC, Vandy, Texas, Florida.

I wonder how many power conference coaches have more than one 40 point loss. That's pretty impressive.

TheRef
02-18-2015, 04:29 PM
Awesome. NCAA doesn't give out medical RS to Adam Morrison?

They would since he never got to play and legitimately had a season-ending injury.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-18-2015, 04:32 PM
They would since he never got to play and legitimately had a season-ending injury.

To get a medical RS I thought you had to have a history of injury? Not just 1 injury that cost you a season. It's not the NCAA fault he transferred 3 times & lost his normal RS year due to transferring. I don't see him getting that extra year.I really hope I'm wrong.

Dawg61
02-18-2015, 04:33 PM

They better. Ridiculous to make him eat a year for a serious injury.

Homedawg
02-18-2015, 04:46 PM
To get a medical RS I thought you had to have a history of injury? Not just 1 injury that cost you a season. It's not the NCAA fault he transferred 3 times & lost his normal RS year due to transferring. I don't see him getting that extra year.I really hope I'm wrong.

Correct. As a rule to get a sixth year, multiple injures are what it takes. He's not a good candidate.

smootness
02-18-2015, 04:47 PM

He is paid on the low end of what SEC basketball coaches make, in fact at the very bottom. You can't take your $45,000 salary and compare that to what he makes. $1 million is on the low end of what Power 5 coaches make.

We pay according to the scale for coaches. If we have a new coach without a track record, we pay on the low end of that scale. If we have a very good coach, we bump it up to the higher end.

You don't just try to pay guys $10,000 more than they're making as an assistant. That's asinine. This argument is not a good one.

And yes, the 2015 class is about equal to several Stans was bringing in. A 4-star guy, a high 3-star guy, and a raw 'project' type. That's roughly the average class Stans brought in. It is what it is.

smootness
02-18-2015, 04:49 PM
It's known that Jay Hughes could have gotten a 6th year had he wanted to, and his only injury issue in his whole career was a missed junior year. I've never heard that a guy has to have battled injuries his whole career, just that you have to have missed an entire season basically due to injury.

Homedawg
02-18-2015, 04:59 PM
Smoot I'm not trying to be argumentative, however, the NCAA doesn't had out 6 th years like candy. Name someone that has received a 6th year that didn't have multiple injuries. I'm not saying there arent exceptions or that it has never happened, but it would be very rare to receive it. As for Hughes, it wasn't well known he would get a sixth year. No one knows what those people are going to do. There was talk of him attempting to try to get a sixth year, not that it was a sure thing by any stretch. Robinson wasn't a sure deal, and his case was perfect for a sixth year, which he got.

thf24
02-18-2015, 05:02 PM
Robinson wasn't a sure deal, and his case was perfect for a sixth year, which he got.

Wasn't last year his only career injury?

tcdog70
02-18-2015, 05:04 PM
He is paid on the low end of what SEC basketball coaches make, in fact at the very bottom. You can't take your $45,000 salary and compare that to what he makes. $1 million is on the low end of what Power 5 coaches make.

We pay according to the scale for coaches. If we have a new coach without a track record, we pay on the low end of that scale. If we have a very good coach, we bump it up to the higher end.

You don't just try to pay guys $10,000 more than they're making as an assistant. That's asinine. This argument is not a good one.

And yes, the 2015 class is about equal to several Stans was bringing in. A 4-star guy, a high 3-star guy, and a raw 'project' type. That's roughly the average class Stans brought in. It is what it is.

Yet it is so strange that with the average class that Stans brought in we always had an All-SEC player or two on almost every team He coached.Wonder when Ray will have 1?

JOHNHEVESYMADE
02-18-2015, 05:06 PM

Again average SEC recruiting class. Here are the 24/7 rankings currently:
#2 Kentucky
#3 A&M
#12 Auburn
#14 Florida
#15 LSU
#23 Arkansas
#31 South Carolina
#43 Vandy
#47 MSU

smootness
02-18-2015, 05:11 PM
Smoot I'm not trying to be argumentative, however, the NCAA doesn't had out 6 th years like candy. Name someone that has received a 6th year that didn't have multiple injuries. I'm not saying there arent exceptions or that it has never happened, but it would be very rare to receive it. As for Hughes, it wasn't well known he would get a sixth year. No one knows what those people are going to do. There was talk of him attempting to try to get a sixth year, not that it was a sure thing by any stretch. Robinson wasn't a sure deal, and his case was perfect for a sixth year, which he got.

You may be right. I googled 'granted 6th year' and the first few results I found were guys with multiple injuries. However Jake McGee, a TE for Florida, played 3 years at UVA after redshirting his first year, then transferred and was eligible to play right away last year as a grad student. He missed last year after being injured before the season, and he was granted a 6th year.

Also, yes, last year was the first year Robinson had missed time with an injury.

Next year will actually only be the 4th year Zuppardo has been eligible to play, and one of those years he missed completely. Seems like a good candidate for a 6th year.

smootness
02-18-2015, 05:12 PM
Yet it is so strange that with the average class that Stans brought in we always had an All-SEC player or two on almost every team He coached.Wonder when Ray will have 1?

Well, the 2015 and 2016 classes aren't here yet. I'm not sure what you're arguing. I'm not saying his first few classes have been Stans-level. I'm saying his next couple will be.

Dawg61
02-18-2015, 05:13 PM
You may be right. I googled 'granted 6th year' and the first few results I found were guys with multiple injuries. However Jake McGee, a TE for Florida, played 3 years at UVA after redshirting his first year, then transferred and was eligible to play right away last year as a grad student. He missed last year after being injured before the season, and he was granted a 6th year.

Also, yes, last year was the first year Robinson had missed time with an injury.

Next year will actually only be the 4th year Zuppardo has been eligible to play, and one of those years he missed completely. Seems like a good candidate for a 6th year.

If it's his fourth season he should have nothing to worry about.

smootness
02-18-2015, 05:23 PM
Again average SEC recruiting class. Here are the 24/7 rankings currently:
#2 Kentucky
#3 A&M
#12 Auburn
#14 Florida
#15 LSU
#23 Arkansas
#31 South Carolina
#43 Vandy
#47 MSU

I'll go back to 2006.

2006 - one 4, one 3, two 2s. Ranked 40.
2007 - one 4, two 3s, one 2. Ranked 48.
2008 - two 4s, one 3, one 2. Ranked 28.
2009 - one 5 (Sidney), three 3s (one of whom was Riek), one 2 (Billy Hamilton). Ranked 26.
2010 - one 2. Ranked 244.
2011 - three 4s, one of whom Stans kicked off before he played. Three no-stars. Ranked 15.
2012 - three 3s that Stans had signed. Also had Josh Gray at the time, who was a no-star. Ranked 46 after Ray added three 3-stars.

So now:
2015 - one 4, two 3s. Ranked 47.
2016 - one 4, one 3. Ranked 4 as of now. Obviously won't stay there, but we have time to add more.

Tell me, again, where the big difference is between Stans' ELITE level and Ray's current level?

Stan's had a very good 2011 class, though Gardner never played. And he had a huge boost from Renardo Freaking Sidney. Outside of that, we're now at Stans' level.

Homedawg
02-18-2015, 05:33 PM
Wasn't last year his only career injury?

No. He was injured previously.

smootness
02-18-2015, 05:35 PM
No. He was injured previously.

Last year was definitely the only year he missed any kind of extended period of time with an injury.

I'm pretty sure the time multiple injuries come into play is when you've missed time in multiple seasons but have never missed an entire season.

I just can't see any reason the NCAA wouldn't grant you an extra year when you miss at least one full year of play.

Coach34
02-18-2015, 05:39 PM
Zuppardo will get a 6th year if he wants it- he had an ACL injury and surgery. If he wants it- he'll get 2 more years

Coach34
02-18-2015, 05:39 PM
I'll go back to 2006.

2006 - one 4, one 3, two 2s. Ranked 40.
2007 - one 4, two 3s, one 2. Ranked 48.
2008 - two 4s, one 3, one 2. Ranked 28.
2009 - one 5 (Sidney), three 3s (one of whom was Riek), one 2 (Billy Hamilton). Ranked 26.
2010 - one 2. Ranked 244.
2011 - three 4s, one of whom Stans kicked off before he played. Three no-stars. Ranked 15.
2012 - three 3s that Stans had signed. Also had Josh Gray at the time, who was a no-star. Ranked 46 after Ray added three 3-stars.

So now:
2015 - one 4, two 3s. Ranked 47.
2016 - one 4, one 3. Ranked 4 as of now. Obviously won't stay there, but we have time to add more.

Tell me, again, where the big difference is between Stans' ELITE level and Ray's current level?

Stan's had a very good 2011 class, though Gardner never played. And he had a huge boost from Renardo Freaking Sidney. Outside of that, we're now at Stans' level.

I love when facts come in

tcdog70
02-18-2015, 07:31 PM
Well, the 2015 and 2016 classes aren't here yet. I'm not sure what you're arguing. I'm not saying his first few classes have been Stans-level. I'm saying his next couple will be.

Who is arguing? I am responding to something you posted. So far Ray hasn't produced o, so I asked when?

Now , since you brought it up. Where is one Ray recruit as good as-- Varnardo, Zimmerman, Bowers, Jamont, Rhodes, Slater and the list goes on. You know since he has recruited on Stans level?

Coach34
02-18-2015, 07:34 PM
Now , since you brought it up. Where is one Ray recruit as good as-- Varnardo, Zimmerman, Bowers, Jamont, Rhodes, Slater and the list goes on. You know since he has recruited on Stans level?

He clearly explained that this year's and next are on par with Stands ratings-wise. Not sure why you are confused

TheDogFather
02-18-2015, 07:49 PM

a true leader supports his employees to others, speaks positively of them in public, deflects negative attention to himself, and is honest and forthright to them in private.

msumudcat
02-18-2015, 08:26 PM
So point made. RS was a much better coach with the talent he recruited.

smootness
02-18-2015, 10:06 PM
Who is arguing? I am responding to something you posted. So far Ray hasn't produced o, so I asked when?

You again missed the point.

My point is that the 2015 and 2016 classes are on Stans' level. They're not here yet. No, his last two haven't been as good. The reason I said that was because someone claimed Ray has to recruit much better and seemed to imply we were doing that under Stans.

Our next two classes, even if we don't add anyone else (and we certainly will) are comparable to Stans' classes. If those don't produce any all-SEC talent, then your point will be valid.

smootness
02-18-2015, 10:07 PM
So point made. RS was a much better coach with the talent he recruited.

I give up.

tcdog70
02-18-2015, 10:13 PM
You again missed the point.

My point is that the 2015 and 2016 classes are on Stans' level. They're not here yet. No, his last two haven't been as good. The reason I said that was because someone claimed Ray has to recruit much better and seemed to imply we were doing that under Stans.

Our next two classes, even if we don't add anyone else (and we certainly will) are comparable to Stans' classes. If those don't produce any all-SEC talent, then your point will be valid.

Oh I get it, you are talking about the future . Not about something that has happened or is happening now. But some players that might be here and aCoach who may or may not be here. My bad

smootness
02-18-2015, 10:23 PM
Oh I get it, you are talking about the future . Not about something that has happened or is happening now. But some players that might be here and aCoach who may or may not be here. My bad

Dude, RICKRAYMADE claimed Ray needed to start recruiting at an ELITE level. Since the 2015 and 2016 classes are already taking shape and Ray is currently recruiting them, I pointed out that his recruiting has already improved and that our next two classes will be at a Stans' level, and everyone considered him an elite recruiter. That's it.

I wasn't making an overall point about Ray or claiming he will coach those guys up to an all-SEC level. I was simply responding to a post to show that Ray is already doing what he's asking him to do.

Saying, 'Ray needs to recruit better,' without acknowledging that he already is, is about like complaining that a city needs more than 0 tall buildings when 4 110-story skyscrapers are being built and already have 100 stories built but haven't completed and opened their doors yet. It's being blind to what is right in front of you and makes you seem a little dimwitted.