PDA

View Full Version : Arms Race--Baseball

MsStateBaseball
02-17-2015, 03:48 PM
If you look at the top 5 teams, they have elite starting pitching, end of story. We are getting there each year. Next year we will take a leap. By next year, Paul Young, Dakota Hudson, Vance Tatum (looking good), and Austin Sexton will really be good while the true freshmen get their act together in 2016. If you notice on my blog the commits by year, Butch is going after LHP's years ahead. We are getting pitching and catchers first. Let's hope we have turned the corner and turning into an elite program.

One big reason these baseball writers ignore us is the front line pitching. Nothing really to say while these guys get better. When we have a junior pitcher that is a 1st rounder every year, then we will get some major respect from these national writers.

Of course, winning any way you can this year will go a long way too. No doubt in my mind we can win 45 or more.

Homedawg
02-17-2015, 04:03 PM
I hope you are right. I just don't see this club winning that many. I have a hard time seeing us going much better than .500 in the league. The lack of top line pitching , I.e. no true fri guy makes it tough in an unforgiving league.

smootness
02-17-2015, 04:21 PM
Stratton was the last time we had a guy like that, though, and we've still done well within the SEC. I think we can win 40+.

WeWonItAll(Most)
02-17-2015, 04:27 PM
I hope you are right. I just don't see this club winning that many. I have a hard time seeing us going much better than .500 in the league. The lack of top line pitching , I.e. no true fri guy makes it tough in an unforgiving league.

I don't think we're going to be this bad, but I do think that the lack of top line pitching will lead to a disappointing season in terms of fan expectations

BiscuitEater
02-17-2015, 04:27 PM
I just don't see this club winning that many. I have a hard time seeing us going much better than .500 in the league. The lack of top line pitching , I.e. no true fri guy makes it tough in an unforgiving league.

After four games ... one weekend ... giving up on this team? Why not give them at least a couple more games before throwing in the towel?

Two years ago, we finished as the #2 team in the country without 'All American' SPs but with an outstanding Bullpen. You know, it can be done.

Homedawg
02-17-2015, 04:29 PM
Stratton was the last time we had a guy like that, though, and we've still done well within the SEC. I think we can win 40+.

True but holder and Lindgren solved a lot of issues.

Homedawg
02-17-2015, 04:31 PM
After four games ... one weekend ... giving up on this team? Why not give them at least a couple more games before throwing in the towel?

Two years ago, we finished as the #2 team in the country without 'All American' SPs but with an outstanding Bullpen. You know, it can be done.
Good grief, who gave up on em? I made a prediction. Said it before the season and yes after 4 whole games. Damn people read what they want to read. Throwing in the towel ha. I want em to win em all. Hope they do. Calm down man.

maroonmania
02-17-2015, 04:31 PM

Yep, we made it to the NC series with essentially just a bullpen. Graveman was the only reliable starter we had that year and I'm not sure I would put in the elite category though he certainly did a good job for us.

maroonmania
02-17-2015, 04:32 PM

Stratton, in his JR year ONLY, was the only time we've had a truly elite starting pitcher under Cohen.

smootness
02-17-2015, 04:37 PM

They did, but I think our bullpen is going to be very, very good again.

For one, Mitchell should stay there all year. Fitts, Tatum, Houston, Hudson, Daniel Brown, etc. - we have a lot of really good arms out there.

We definitely need a 3rd starter to step up. I like Preston Brown and Lucas Laster. I think Sexton can be good, and guys like Tatum and Hudson could potentially work out. And we could always move Fitts back if things became dire.

I think our pitching will be better than most expect this year. And I think that while our offense won't do what we did this weekend once we face better pitching, we'll be able to score runs.

I think Vandy, LSU, probably Florida, and South Carolina are the only SEC teams I might take over us right now.

smootness
02-17-2015, 04:38 PM
Stratton, in his JR year ONLY, was the only time we've had a truly elite starting pitcher under Cohen.

Yes, that's true. I'm just saying, we definitely didn't have one the last two years and went, what, 34-26 in the SEC?

Homedawg
02-17-2015, 04:44 PM
They did, but I think our bullpen is going to be very, very good again.

For one, Mitchell should stay there all year. Fitts, Tatum, Houston, Hudson, Daniel Brown, etc. - we have a lot of really good arms out there.

We definitely need a 3rd starter to step up. I like Preston Brown and Lucas Laster. I think Sexton can be good, and guys like Tatum and Hudson could potentially work out. And we could always move Fitts back if things became dire.

I think our pitching will be better than most expect this year. And I think that while our offense won't do what we did this weekend once we face better pitching, we'll be able to score runs.

I think Vandy, LSU, probably Florida, and South Carolina are the only SEC teams I might take over us right now.
I agree about our pen, I think it's going to be good. No question it's the strength of our staff. I do think we are better offensively, but how much better in relation to everyone else. That's the question. I'm not saying we can't win 40 reg season. I'm saying i think around 500 in the league is about what we do. Again. Hope like hell I'm wrong, and we win more.

smootness
02-17-2015, 04:58 PM
I agree about our pen, I think it's going to be good. No question it's the strength of our staff. I do think we are better offensively, but how much better in relation to everyone else. That's the question. I'm not saying we can't win 40 reg season. I'm saying i think around 500 in the league is about what we do. Again. Hope like hell I'm wrong, and we win more.

Yeah, 'around' .500 is probably accurate. I think we get to 16 or 17 SEC wins. I agree that 45 wins is probably not realistic. That would be winning just about every OOC game plus close to 20 in conference.

Jack Lambert
02-17-2015, 05:04 PM

That's the Bull Dog way.

chef dixon
02-17-2015, 05:10 PM
Cohen has proved that elite starting pitching is not necessary to be successful in college baseball. I don't remember what radio station it was on, but Cohen stated something about the increased on-base percentages in college baseball of batters facing a pitcher the 2nd or 3rd time in a game is so significant that he tailors his teams to have a strong pen, making sure their line-up can't settle in and get comfortable. The more results I see from him here at MSU, the more genius his approach really is. We were one of the worst offensive teams you could find last season and didn't even have a real starting pitcher, but we won THIRTY-NINE games and were on the verge of another super regional.

Bully13
02-17-2015, 05:34 PM
Cohen has proved that elite starting pitching is not necessary to be successful in college baseball. I don't remember what radio station it was on, but Cohen stated something about the increased on-base percentages in college baseball of batters facing a pitcher the 2nd or 3rd time in a game is so significant that he tailors his teams to have a strong pen, making sure their line-up can't settle in and get comfortable. The more results I see from him here at MSU, the more genius his approach really is. We were one of the worst offensive teams you could find last season and didn't even have a real starting pitcher, but we won THIRTY-NINE games and were on the verge of another super regional.

There is iron in your words of cohen

chef dixon
02-17-2015, 05:43 PM
If you look at the top 5 teams, they have elite starting pitching, end of story.

Another thing. How many truly elite pitchers, in your definition, are available to the college game? Not really that many I'd imagine. How many guys are available in college baseball that have good enough stuff to get outs one or maybe 2 times through a line up if asked to? I'd say that a number of those guys are available to us here at MSU and Cohen is absolutely crushing it with his strategy. The beauty of a 35 man roster as opposed to 25 in the pros is you can stock your arsenal and he's taking advantage of that.

shoeless joe
02-17-2015, 06:53 PM
There is iron in your words of cohen

And therefore iron in your words of pitching...I choose Cohen.

Todd4State
02-17-2015, 08:04 PM
Why can't we have a guy like a Stratton go 5-6 IP and then have the pen take over? We could move Tatum and Daniel Brown to the rotation along Preston Brown. That still leaves us with Ross, Laster, Houston, Fitts, Gentry, and Hudson for a still really strong pen.

Here's the issue- if McCord gives up four five runs in the first inning, that's tough to overcome every Sunday. I thought Sexton did OK FWIW. The issue isn't how Cohen uses the staff as much as it is the guys starting didn't do their jobs a good bit of the time.

Todd4State
02-17-2015, 08:08 PM
Also we are a LOT better offensively compared to last year. And if Gavin comes back strong and Smith and Rea get back we'll be a lot better.

engie
02-17-2015, 08:12 PM
Butch....
How Butch uses the staff...

I've been clamoring for a true ace career starter for longer than most. We haven't SIGNED an elite SP under this regime yet. Now, we have developed a couple... But the most "surefire prospects" that have come here out of high school have struggled. While their less heralded counterparts have shined. I would just really love for us to find a NOLA or Beede and get 3 years out of them -- rather than a Stratton or Lindgren that we essentially only get one from...

smootness
02-17-2015, 08:19 PM
Well, we've signed guys that are pretty close to what you're talking about in this next class. If we can get one or two to show up (Riley, Ford, Fenter, Small), then you'll have your wish.

As for Michael Smith's health, he apparently suited up Sunday but didn't play, so it looks like he's fine. He and Rea should both be back soon.

BiscuitEater
02-18-2015, 09:31 AM
Good grief, who gave up on em? I made a prediction. Said it before the season and yes after 4 whole games. Damn people read what they want to read. Throwing in the towel ha. I want em to win em all. Hope they do. Calm down man.

I thought your prediction ...
I just don't see this club winning that many. was refering to this year's baseball team and winning games.

So, you are saying ... "you want them to win em all ... but don't really see this team winning many ... not even .500 in the SEC."

What did I miss?

Homedawg
02-18-2015, 09:44 AM
I thought your prediction ... was refering to this year's baseball team and winning games.

So, you are saying ... "you want them to win em all ... but don't really see this team winning many ... not even .500 in the SEC."

What did I miss?
Here's what you missed, the previous poster said he could see us winning 45+. So my statement of that many was referring to 45 in the regular season. And yes I said atound 500 in the sec, which by the way, would get us in a regional. It was a prediction- a guess, no different than mstate baseball saying he thought we would win 45.