PDA

View Full Version : So A&M isnt in Newman's top 6 but State is....

Coach34
02-17-2015, 08:53 AM
interesting

http://m.wlox.com/wlox/db_345190/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=D3UdwZfv

msstate7
02-17-2015, 08:54 AM
3 team race -- kentucky, Kansas, and lsu. Would love to be surprised

Tbonewannabe
02-17-2015, 08:59 AM
How is UM in his top 6?

Dawg61
02-17-2015, 09:03 AM
Signing Newman is the only prize here. Being listed as top 6 gets us what?

headcoach98
02-17-2015, 09:06 AM
Nice of him to put us in his top 6 out of courtesy, wish we'd actually have a chance at getting him.

Alldawg
02-17-2015, 09:12 AM
So Stans couldn't make the top 6. Hate that

Liverpooldawg
02-17-2015, 09:18 AM
interesting

http://m.wlox.com/wlox/db_345190/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=D3UdwZfv

I'm glad you are happy with the results of your efforts.

Coach34
02-17-2015, 09:19 AM
I'm glad you are happy with the results of your efforts.

That should make ALL State fans happy correct?

Political Hack
02-17-2015, 10:12 AM
the Harlem Globetrotters aren't in his top 6 either.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-17-2015, 10:19 AM
I expect it to be Kentucky.

32 Dive
02-17-2015, 10:41 AM
Game. Set. Match.

MadDawg
02-17-2015, 10:55 AM
That should make ALL State fans happy correct?

So the biggest recruit out of MS in a decade, with ties directly to MSU, and you are happier about our former coach not being in the running for his services, than the fact that we will not sign him. When did you start hating Stansbury more than you like MSU or it's basketball program? Was it before you went on the crusade against him, or what it the result of that crusade?

Coach34
02-17-2015, 11:14 AM
We are in his top 6- that means we have a chance...A&M not in the top 6- means no chance...what arent you understanding about that?

DownwardDawg
02-17-2015, 11:19 AM
So the biggest recruit out of MS in a decade, with ties directly to MSU, and you are happier about our former coach not being in the running for his services, than the fact that we will not sign him. When did you start hating Stansbury more than you like MSU or it's basketball program? Was it before you went on the crusade against him, or what it the result of that crusade?

Coach is a great poster and an even greater MSU fan, but his hatred for Stans is creepy and unhealthy. Ray is horrible but all coach can think about is "hate stands, hate stands, gotta discredit stands" etc.....

coastdoglover
02-17-2015, 12:22 PM
Been going on for decades. It is called "obsession" and he still can't quit posting about him. Must be a sick feeling to hate so bad and really for no reason. Stans may have had his faults but nobody deserves the abuse this clown has spouted out for over a decade and don't believe for a minute it just started the last few years. Sick sick sick

Coach is a great poster and an even greater MSU fan, but his hatred for Stans is creepy and unhealthy. Ray is horrible but all coach can think about is "hate stands, hate stands, gotta discredit stands" etc.....

Liverpooldawg
02-17-2015, 12:25 PM

That about sums him up.

HoopsDawg
02-17-2015, 12:43 PM
3 team race -- kentucky, Kansas, and lsu. Would love to be surprised

If everyone returns at UK and Kansas and then Malik realizes that Johnny Jones can't coach, then maybe we have a chance.

msstate7
02-17-2015, 12:46 PM
If everyone returns at UK and Kansas and then Malik realizes that Johnny Jones can't coach, then maybe we have a chance.

Whole lotta hoping there haha

Maybe the stars will align. Wish weatherspoon had more pull with mailk

smootness
02-17-2015, 12:53 PM
I still think there's a chance, though I don't think it's a very good one. There's no way he's going to NC State or Ole Miss, so our competition is Kentucky, Kansas, and LSU.

The two things we have going for us are that obviously his dad played here and he's grown up coming here, and Ray has recruited him harder than anyone. We also will have a very veteran team next year.

Unfortunately, I just don't think we can convince him we're going to be good enough next year. About the only thing Newman has said about what he's looking for is that he wants other players around him. Obviously he's going to have far more talent at Kentucky, Kansas, and LSU. The problem at Kentucky could be finding enough playing time. He'll play a good bit no matter what, but it might not be as much as he expects depending on who comes back.

It all comes down to whether or not he believes our juniors will continue to improve enough to make us competitive next year and whether he sees guys like Sword and Ware as good enough partners. I doubt he does, but I don't think he's eliminated us just yet.

Dawg61
02-17-2015, 01:09 PM
Yea calling BS on "Ray has recruited him harder than anyone". Ray recruiting him harder than the Blue army and Cal? GTFO

HoopsDawg
02-17-2015, 01:13 PM
Yea calling BS on "Ray has recruited him harder than anyone". Ray recruiting him harder than the Blue army and Cal? GTFO

Ray flew out to Vegas to watch him in a tournament out there and stayed after every coach had left. Ray didn't get back to Starkville until the middle of the night. Ray has done everything he can do to sign Newman. Newman doesn't want to play 25 or less minutes per game so if Ulis and Booker both come back, I don't think he will choose UK.

Coach34
02-17-2015, 01:13 PM

Absolutely he has- Ray has been to 5 of his games to every one Cal has been to

smootness
02-17-2015, 01:14 PM

I didn't say that he's recruited him more effectively. I just said that he's recruited him harder, and I think most would agree with that. He's been around the kid every chance he can get.

HoopsDawg
02-17-2015, 01:14 PM
Also, Malik is good friends with Diamond Stone and at one time they were going to play together at LSU, but now Stone is strongly considering Wisconsin. UK and LSU already have highly rated SG's committed.

smootness
02-17-2015, 01:18 PM
I'm just taking a shot in the dark, but I would probably put his choices right now as:

1. Kentucky
2. LSU
3. MSU
4. Kansas

Again, I don't have any inside info, but I could see him going to UK or LSU. It's hard for me to see him going to Kansas.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Kentucky. What happens if Ulis, Booker, and both Harrison twins return? Briscoe is probably more PG than SG, but Newman also probably needs to play PG to prepare himself for the NBA.

State definitely guarantees him the most playing time, and he would be the undisputed man here. Sword has also taken his game to another level, so I still think there's an outside chance he decides he can make the difference and make a run with us.

Dawg61
02-17-2015, 01:26 PM
Absolutely he has- Ray has been to 5 of his games to every one Cal has been to

Going to a game is like 10% of recruiting. Ray ain't outrecruiting the Blue army for anybody. Kentucky puts basketball #1. We can't even begin to compete against that.

msstate7
02-17-2015, 01:30 PM
Going to a game is like 10% of recruiting. Ray ain't outrecruiting the Blue army for anybody. Kentucky puts basketball #1. We can't even begin to compete against that.

Kentucky is spread out nationally recruiting. Newman is nothing special to them. He's just the next guy in line. Newman's in our backyard, legacy, and potential savior to our program. There's no doubt in my mind we're recruiting him harder than anyone. Are we recruiting dirtier? Probably not and that may be the difference

smootness
02-17-2015, 01:33 PM
Kentucky is spread out nationally recruiting. Newman is nothing special to them. He's just the next guy in line. Newman's in our backyard, legacy, and potential savior to our program. There's no doubt in my mind we're recruiting him harder than anyone. Are we recruiting dirtier? Probably not and that may be the difference

Exactly this. I'm not sure why this is hard to understand. Again, I'm not saying we're recruiting him more effectively, just that we're recruiting him harder.

When he asks himself, 'Who seems to want me the most?', I would imagine his answer is pretty clearly 'Rick Ray'. As I still doubt we get him, I don't think that will tip the scales in our favor or anything, just that it is something in our favor.

Liverpooldawg
02-17-2015, 01:34 PM

Ray is after him as hard as he and MSU can. There is no doubt about that.

Dawg61
02-17-2015, 01:40 PM
Ray is after him as hard as he and MSU can. There is no doubt about that.

Now this I'm buying.

smootness
02-17-2015, 01:45 PM
So your definition of 'who is recruiting the hardest' is 'who gives him the best scholarship'. Well, you and I have different definitions.

The bottom line is, it should be clear in Newman's mind that Ray wants him more than anybody else. That is an advantage for us, no matter how small.

Coach34
02-17-2015, 01:48 PM
So your definition of 'who is recruiting the hardest' is 'who give him the best scholarship'. Well, you and I have different definitions.

Unfortunately- that is the top factor in getting his signature. It's not the only one- but its the top

Dawg61
02-17-2015, 01:51 PM
So your definition of 'who is recruiting the hardest' is 'who gives him the better scholarship'. Well, you and I have different definitions.

The bottom line is, it should be clear in Newman's mind that Ray wants him more than anybody else. That is an advantage for us, no matter how small.

Where did I say anything about money? You keep saying "hardest" but what does that mean exactly? Ray has turned into Bucky Freezus and is sweet talking Newman on the phone till 2am? Ray is texting him the "hardest"? Ray is calling him the "hardest"? Ray is seeing him in person the "hardest"? Ray is recruiting Newman the "hardest"? Hell no he isn't. Recruiting for Kentucky basketball has a skyscraper of people working together. Recruiting for Ray's MSU basketball might be able to fill one office room of people working together.

maroonmania
02-17-2015, 02:03 PM
Kentucky is spread out nationally recruiting. Newman is nothing special to them. He's just the next mercenary in line.

FIFY. This is just another reason I am starting to detest college basketball. Does anyone think that most of the guys signing on with the slimeball Calipari care anything about KY other than they are the quickest way to get to the NBA after one year? The whole college basketball environment just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Right now everyone besides KY and maybe FL are at such a disadvantage in recruiting in the SEC that there isn't much to compete for in the league unless you are willing to ante up in a big way on the recruiting front. Recruiting elite basketball players is probably the dirtiest thing in all of college athletics.

smootness
02-17-2015, 03:13 PM
Where did I say anything about money? You keep saying "hardest" but what does that mean exactly? Ray has turned into Bucky Freezus and is sweet talking Newman on the phone till 2am? Ray is texting him the "hardest"? Ray is calling him the "hardest"? Ray is seeing him in person the "hardest"? Ray is recruiting Newman the "hardest"? Hell no he isn't. Recruiting for Kentucky basketball has a skyscraper of people working together. Recruiting for Ray's MSU basketball might be able to fill one office room of people working together.

I already defined it. To me, the guy who is the clear answer to, 'which coach wants me the most,' is the guy who is recruiting the hardest. And based on everything I've read regarding Newman's recruitment, that guy is Ray.

Stans obviously didn't relate to players the best; his recruiting genius came from how hard he worked. He showed his face at every possible opportunity for the guys he wanted most; he simply outworked everybody else. Ray is at least doing that in Newman's recruitment. And the fact that he's able to get a kid like Simonds tells me he's probably doing it on other guys as well.

Based on how often Ray has shown his face in Newman's recruitment, you're crazy if you think other coaches are calling him or texting him more often. Actually going to watch a guy play takes more effort than anything else in recruiting a guy; it would make sense that if Ray is doing the hard things more, he's probably also doing the easy things at least as much.

Ray even showed up here in GA to watch Elijah Staley play football; I was at the game and talked to him. That's a guy he knew would likely never do much for the basketball program. The guy recruits hard, he just needs to start getting results on the court.

smootness
02-17-2015, 03:14 PM
Unfortunately- that is the top factor in getting his signature. It's not the only one- but its the top

I don't know enough to agree or disagree with that, but regardless, the fact that we are recruiting him the hardest is a factor in our favor. It may not be the top one, but I simply said that it is something that helps us.

maroonmania
02-17-2015, 04:58 PM

So sounds like now that we've "cleaned up the program" we have a nice built-in excuse for why we can never get an elite recruit in basketball. Even if he is from MS and even if he is from MS and is an MSU legacy.

Percho
02-17-2015, 05:42 PM
After we win out the regular season this year, and we will win out, say hello to Mr. Newman. :)

msstate7
02-17-2015, 06:00 PM
After we win out the regular season this year, and we will win out, say hello to Mr. Newman. :)

I think a better goal would be 4-2 (1-1 in sec tourney), get cbi, and pray that's enough for malik

DistrictDawg92
02-18-2015, 02:36 AM
FIFY. This is just another reason I am starting to detest college basketball. Does anyone think that most of the guys signing on with the slimeball Calipari care anything about KY other than they are the quickest way to get to the NBA after one year? The whole college basketball environment just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Right now everyone besides KY and maybe FL are at such a disadvantage in recruiting in the SEC that there isn't much to compete for in the league unless you are willing to ante up in a big way on the recruiting front. Recruiting elite basketball players is probably the dirtiest thing in all of college athletics.

LSU has been recruiting at a pretty elite level lately. I used to believe that men's basketball recruiting was veryyyy dirty. But I'm not so sure after the 1-year rule. Why does Kentucky have to pay some 5-star to come play there on ESPN every game where everyone knows your name, all Calipari has to say is come play here for a year then make your millions. Now I'm not saying there isn't money exchanged, because there is, but I don't think it's any more dirty than college football. The NCAA has proven that you can do whatever you want in College Football recruiting, pretty sure everyone in the SEC pays atleast a few players to play football, I don't see why only 2 or 3 teams could do that in college Basketball. Kentucky, Kansas, and Duke get all 5-stars because they consistently send them to the league. When was the last time we sent someone to the league without atleast a few stints in Europe? That's why we are at a disadvantage in basketball recruiting, not $$$. Also, kids growing up playing football in the South dream of playing football in the SEC, kids growing up playing basketball dream of playing in the NBA, whichever route is quickest. It's just two different sports and two different cultures.

Coach34
02-18-2015, 07:39 AM
Duke, NC, Kansas, Syracuse, Ohio St, etc are all fighting for the top guys and they are shelling out the cash to get them. Alot of recruits play the "what if I get hurt card?"basketball is still by far the dirtiest because of AAU and the money being funneled into it. 7 on 7 travel teams in football took their model from AAU

maroonmania
02-18-2015, 11:03 AM
LSU has been recruiting at a pretty elite level lately. I used to believe that men's basketball recruiting was veryyyy dirty. But I'm not so sure after the 1-year rule. Why does Kentucky have to pay some 5-star to come play there on ESPN every game where everyone knows your name, all Calipari has to say is come play here for a year then make your millions. Now I'm not saying there isn't money exchanged, because there is, but I don't think it's any more dirty than college football. The NCAA has proven that you can do whatever you want in College Football recruiting, pretty sure everyone in the SEC pays atleast a few players to play football, I don't see why only 2 or 3 teams could do that in college Basketball. Kentucky, Kansas, and Duke get all 5-stars because they consistently send them to the league. When was the last time we sent someone to the league without atleast a few stints in Europe? That's why we are at a disadvantage in basketball recruiting, not $$$. Also, kids growing up playing football in the South dream of playing football in the SEC, kids growing up playing basketball dream of playing in the NBA, whichever route is quickest. It's just two different sports and two different cultures.

Its only dirtier because one player in basketball means so much more than one player in football, even if you only get that player for one year. There is a reason why KY can still compete for NCs even though they turn over a large portion of their roster every year.