PDA

View Full Version : Kendall Rogers again...homer

MsStateBaseball
02-16-2015, 03:09 PM
OM loses to William and Mary and they don't drop in the poll.

Some guy asked about the true freshman pitcher for LSU, Rogers said he was good against Kansas but playing against Ole Miss and the rest of the SEC schools...

Any chance he gets, he promotes them.

justwin
02-16-2015, 03:22 PM
this kendall rogers guy sounds a lot like asschaps from the espn blog.

messageboardsuperhero
02-16-2015, 03:23 PM
I know people were joking around about UM losing the one game to William and Mary, but W&M made it to a regional final in 2013 (by beating UM twice) and finished with an RPI of 67 last season... Let's not pretend like W&M has an awful program and that losing to them is as bad as losing to Alcorn.

His comment when asked about Lange was pretty funny though. Rogers definitely loves him some UM and is very close to their staff.

Jack Lambert
02-16-2015, 03:27 PM
looks like to me they look at the entire series as a win or lose.

engie
02-16-2015, 03:39 PM
I'll point this out again...

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20150216-wpng-23kb.jpg (http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/20150216-wpng-23kb)

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20150216-wd0u-25kb.jpg (http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/20150216-wd0u-25kb)

Although Rogers' ties with Bianco definitely pre-dates this connection....

ShotgunDawg
02-16-2015, 04:23 PM
OM loses to William and Mary and they don't drop in the poll.

Some guy asked about the true freshman pitcher for LSU, Rogers said he was good against Kansas but playing against Ole Miss and the rest of the SEC schools...

Any chance he gets, he promotes them.

I don't agree. This is baseball, not football.

You shouldn't drop in the baseball polls with a loss. Sure Ole Miss loss a game, but that doesn't mean that talent wise, rotation wise, etc that they aren't just as good as where Kendall ranked them.

This is baseball man. Everyone loses in baseball.

Vanderbilt lost to Santa Clara on Saturday, and Vanderbilt has 3 first rounders in the rotation and the best SS in the country in Dansby Swanson. All in all, Vanderbilt has about 10 future Major Leaguers on their roster, but lost on Saturday to Santa Clara. Does that mean Vanderbilt isn't the best team in the country and should drop in the polls?

Every year we have to go through the same song and dance and adjustment of how we view losses in the transition from football season to baseball season.

cheewgumm
02-16-2015, 05:10 PM
OMU has learned from
democrats... Control the media, control the world.

dickiedawg
02-16-2015, 08:49 PM
Does that mean Vanderbilt isn't the best team in the country?

No.

Does that mean Vanderbilt should drop in the polls?

Yes.

ShotgunDawg
02-16-2015, 11:01 PM
No.

Yes.

Then what's the point of the poll if you are going to rank teams in an order you know isn't correct?

I do agree that if Vandy and Ole Miss "under perform" over time, then they deserve to drop, but I don't believe that losing one game on the first weekend of the season is in any way "under performing".

Quaoarsking
02-16-2015, 11:12 PM
The real answer is that there shouldn't be polls until April or so, but the polls should represent who's had the best season so far, not necessarily who has the best team theoretically.

msstate7
02-16-2015, 11:12 PM
Then what's the point of the poll if you are going to rank teams in an order you know isn't correct?

I do agree that if Vandy and Ole Miss "under perform" over time, then they deserve to drop, but I don't believe that losing one game on the first weekend of the season is in any way "under performing".

If vandy is #1, then Santa Clara should be ranked too, right? The series was won by vandy in the 10th inning of the rubber game. Kinda hard to say vandy is the best team if you don't include Santa clara is the top 25

ShotgunDawg
02-16-2015, 11:28 PM
If vandy is #1, then Santa Clara should be ranked too, right? The series was won by vandy in the 10th inning of the rubber game. Kinda hard to say vandy is the best team if you don't include Santa clara is the top 25

Santa Clara is actually pretty good, and has a potential first round pitcher themselves, but the point is that it's the first weekend of the season.

The 1998 New York Yankees, which won 114 games and is considered one of the best teams of all freaking time, started out 0-3.

If Vandy started out 0-3 this weekend, would you drop them out of the polls in favor of all teams that went 3-0 & 2-1?

If not, then why wouldn't you?

msstate7
02-16-2015, 11:32 PM
Santa Clara is actually pretty good, and has a potential first round pitcher themselves, but the point is that it's the first weekend of the season.

The 1998 New York Yankees, which won 114 games and is considered one of the best teams of all freaking time, started out 0-3.

If Vandy started out 0-3 this weekend, would you drop them out of the polls in favor of all teams that went 3-0 & 2-1?

If not, then why wouldn't you?

I don't know where I'd rank them. I don't keep up with early season rankings at all. I'm not sure which polls have us ranked and where. I agree with quaoarsking that rankings should come out later

dickiedawg
02-17-2015, 12:29 AM

I didn't say Vandy was the best team, just that them losing a game doesn't necessarily mean they aren't. The point is none of the teams have a lot to judge them on right now, but Virginia or Florida at 3-0 would make a lot more sense at No. 1 than Vandy at 2-1.

We know Vanderbilt is insanely talented and their pitching depth is unbelievable. But it's not like there's a huge gap between them and number 2-3. I mean, if UK hoops happened to lose a game this weekend to some crap team, they'd probably stay 1 because their body of work is so strong as a whole. This Vandy squad hasn't done it yet so they don't get the same benefit of the doubt. Likewise, if Vandy was 26-3 and lost a random Tuesday game to Greater Boondocks State, they wouldn't necessarily fall because of what they'd already proven. Right now they haven't proven anything.