PDA

View Full Version : Deddrick Thomas: My Sleeper Pick

Reason2succeed
02-16-2015, 01:09 AM
I haven't heard many people talk about this kid. Where does he project to be? He does some stuff on his highlight video that is almost Reggie Bush silly. What are you guys thoughts on him?

Harrydawg
02-16-2015, 04:11 AM
I thought his nick name was pretty cool......Sweet feet.

He is an instant legend in Memphis high school football from what I understand. Humble as well from watching his signing video.

BeastMan
02-16-2015, 06:05 AM
Projects at slot but I'm hoping his biggest impact is a dynamic kick return threat

bulldawg28
02-16-2015, 07:04 AM
This class is just LOADED!!! This is a top 5 class we have.

hailmari
02-16-2015, 08:15 AM
Yeah, solid kid. I think he's said that our engineering department played a big part in his decision.

thf24
02-16-2015, 08:17 AM
This class is just LOADED!!! This is a top 5 class we have.

If every signee was reverted to their highest rating held during the process, I think it would be close. Top 10 at least. We had at least five or six guys dropped significantly during the past six months for stupid reasons. Then there are guys like Dontea Jones (who is already one of those needlessly docked) and Farrod Green who were evaluated as WR's but will play TE for us. I'm not sure we realize even now just how incredible this class is.

bulldawg28
02-16-2015, 09:15 AM
If every signee was reverted to their highest rating held during the process, I think it would be close. Top 10 at least. We had at least five or six guys dropped significantly during the past six months for stupid reasons. Then there are guys like Dontea Jones (who is already one of those needlessly docked) and Farrod Green who were evaluated as WR's but will play TE for us. I'm not sure we realize even now just how incredible this class is.

When you look at the playmakers in this group from top to bottom it's unreal. The question now is how is Mullen going to play all of this talent. These guys have the talent to uproot veteran's spots.

NCDawg
02-16-2015, 12:13 PM
When you look at the playmakers in this group from top to bottom it's unreal. The question now is how is Mullen going to play all of this talent. These guys have the talent to uproot veteran's spots.

I agree it does seem to be a very talented group. Now, question is who is not going to qualify out of this group?

smootness
02-16-2015, 12:30 PM
I agree it does seem to be a very talented group. Now, question is who is not going to qualify out of this group?

Everybody is expected to make it. The two that weren't going to were Champion and Myers, and they weren't included in the class and are already enrolled in JUCO.

maroonmania
02-16-2015, 12:38 PM

I personally think this class will turn out to be the best in MSU football history. Time will tell though.

justwin
02-16-2015, 01:58 PM
I haven't heard many people talk about this kid. Where does he project to be? He does some stuff on his highlight video that is almost Reggie Bush silly. What are you guys thoughts on him?

He's going to be tabbed to play the "marque" spot in Coach Mullen's offense, slot WR, which should be a HS kid's dream position in college.

Setting the bar, the highpoint for that position in Mullen's offense is 17 tds (10 rushing; 7 receiving) done by Percy Harvin in 2008 as a junior. Percy had 5 tds as a freshman and 10 tds as a soph. Bumphis' best year was his sr year where he had 12 tds, all receiving. Jameon had 8 as a junior and only 2 as a senior & I'm still convinced that if Jameon doesn't get hurt, we're in CFP this past year.

Between Thomas & Mixon over the next 5 year & Gray/Myles over the next 3, I really think one of these guys is going to break Bump's td record and get darn close to Percy's 17 td high water mark. Either way, we're going to have excellent competition at that spot for a good while. I really want to see one of those 4 break Percy's record as that would be so attractive to recruits. Can Thomas be that guy in a few years, hope so.

I completely forgot that Gray is going to be here for 3, not 2 which is gravy.

Reason2succeed
02-16-2015, 03:23 PM
I know it's impossible to predict future development and hard to compare highlights because of the variance in competition but Deddrick looks like he could be a great Scat back as well. On most of his highlights he was simply taking the ball as the QB and busting huge plays. That means he has great vision in the hole and elusiveness in close quarters. Does anyone know his forty time?

MSUDawg4Life
02-16-2015, 03:27 PM
When I watch his video, I find myself wondering how he would look at CB.

smootness
02-16-2015, 03:52 PM
I love all of the slot options we're bringing in for this class. I could see any of the 3 (Gray, Mixon, Thomas) breaking out and becoming a star.

For me, I'll predict that it's Gray. He'll get the first shot at it, and I don't know if I've ever been higher on an offensive skill recruit that we've brought in. Mullen seems extremely high on him, too. I think he will instantly be the go-to guy in our offense; that's how good I think he is.

justwin
02-16-2015, 04:27 PM
I love all of the slot options we're bringing in for this class. I could see any of the 3 (Gray, Mixon, Thomas) breaking out and becoming a star.

For me, I'll predict that it's Gray. He'll get the first shot at it, and I don't know if I've ever been higher on an offensive skill recruit that we've brought in. Mullen seems extremely high on him, too. I think he will instantly be the go-to guy in our offense; that's how good I think he is.

I know you're big on Gray, and really I hope your hunch comes true. For a highly rated Juco WR coming to MSU, there's never been a better time for him to come. I'm cautious b/c most Juco WRs never pan out here. Of course, that goes back to Co-Eric Riley and Tony Burks (should've been an NFL guy), Leon Berry, etc...but those guys were coming into a bad offensive schemes coupled with poor qb play & this is a completely different day in MSU fball.

Then, I think of recent guys like Rumph (UGA) or Leslie (LSU) or even Corey Moore (Ohio State) who all went elsewhere and never saw the field, but were equivalently acclaimed as Gray while in Juco.

Gray has a lot working in his favor though...coming in early, 3 years, perfect offense, best qb of all time, etc. If we can get Bumphis like production from him as a sophomore, then we have a legit shot at winning the west. That position needs to get in endzone at least 10 times next year.

The hailstate.com 2 hour signing day video had a 10 minute interview with him. Before then, I had never seen much video of him, but I came away impressed with how he conducted himself, answered questions, etc. Sounds like he's self motivated yet cocky enough to be the playmaker we need to step in

I still think Myles has Randall Cobb type ability. Myles vs Gray is the only spring storyline I plan on following. Dak needs to get them the ball instead of running up the gut so often.

smootness
02-16-2015, 05:23 PM
I'm really excited to see reports from spring practice and the spring game this year. There is a lot to watch.

We'll get our first looks at Thomas, Gray, and Dear and will get a chance to see all of our options in the slot. We'll also see Aeris Williams and Lee for the first time, and Nick Fitzgerald after a full year in the program. I wish we could see Staley, too, but I think he'll still be out after his surgery.

We'll get a first look at Rankin, too, though I'm not sure how much we'll see.

Then throw in guys like Corey Thomas, Gerri Green, Brandon Bryant, and Chris Rayford, and we'll get good looks at guys who may play big roles this year.

Todd4State
02-16-2015, 06:24 PM
When I watch his video, I find myself wondering how he would look at CB.

Why? A guy with his skill is better suited in the slot.

MSUDawg4Life
02-16-2015, 06:51 PM
Why? A guy with his skill is better suited in the slot.

Because we have 792 slot guys. Some of which may be more talented than him though he does have considerable talent. Just wondering if his talent can be used to shine somewhere else. That's all.

Todd4State
02-16-2015, 08:04 PM
Because we have 792 slot guys. Some of which may be more talented than him though he does have considerable talent. Just wondering if his talent can be used to shine somewhere else. That's all.

I would move Graham and Myles to CB before I moved Deddrick. And you have to remember- Stamps, Rayford, and Durr are all going to be pretty good corners.

smootness
02-16-2015, 08:16 PM
I would move Graham and Myles to CB before I moved Deddrick. And you have to remember- Stamps, Rayford, and Durr are all going to be pretty good corners.

Yep, and Smitherman. Obviously on reputation as they haven't played yet, that seems to be a good group of young corners. I think Gray, Mixon, and Thomas should all stay in the slot (Gray can actually play on the outside, too) and Dear will probably be more of a RB. I don't think that's too many guys at that spot. I would redshirt Mixon and let Thomas play this year so you basically have class separation between all three.

Bothrops
02-16-2015, 10:53 PM
I really like Deddrick and he will bring quick feet and shifty moves. But Mixon is going to be my sleeper..if you can consider that statement. The dude is going to be tough to beat out. Holloway quickness (possibly quicker) with better moves and a better football body. There's just something about him. I think he's a guy that's gonna make other schools want to kick themselves over and over again.

Reason2succeed
02-17-2015, 03:51 PM
Have we EVER had this type of embarrassment of riches at skill positions? Mullen & Co. are doing a great job of bringing in guys.

MSUDawg4Life
02-17-2015, 04:14 PM
Have we EVER had this type of embarrassment of riches at skill positions? Mullen & Co. are doing a great job of bringing in guys.

At the WR position? No. Never. Not in the 35 years or so that I've been a fan. Most of the time we've been lucky to have one good receiver.

Talk of moving somebody with the talent of Deddrick Thomas, while questionable now, would have been utterly ridiculous in most years. But, the truth of the matter is that an incredibly talented guy like Sweet Feet could easily have five guys ahead of him at the slot position alone.

To say Mullen and company have done a good job is an understatement.

MSUDawg4Life
02-17-2015, 04:19 PM
Something that I don't think many are noticing ... we had the best offense in the SEC last year. With Mullen continually building his offense like this, if only the defense can keep up ....

smootness
02-17-2015, 04:40 PM
Something that I don't think many are noticing ... we had the best offense in the SEC last year. With Mullen continually building his offense like this, if only the defense can keep up ....

Yup. And we could be scary this year. Wilson, Ross, and Gray is a potentially devastating WR corps...and you have really quality, proven depth with Morrow, Brown, and Myles.

Dak should only get better, which is scary enough by itself. Our OL will be fine and at least good enough.

Our running game will be good, and the kind of running game Mullen seems to like - no one will be better at converting short-yardage situations, for sure.

Reason2succeed
02-18-2015, 02:15 AM
It's gonna be a FUN and competitive spring camp for the boys. There are position battles all over the field. OL will be one to watch because of the number needed and the importance. Safety will be a one to watch. Who steps up on the DL and LB core to start? I'm excited about finding out who the next RB is gonna be. While it seems like we should be worried (and the "journalist" will tell us to) fans know that at most of these position it is not a matter of whether we will be upgrading talent but simply by whom and who much upgrade. Savor this guys! It's a great time to be an MSU dawg!!!

deltadawg99
02-18-2015, 12:17 PM
Some of these may end up playing WR & RB in the Percy Harvin role. I look for Mullen to get creative in the ways that he spreads the ball around.

I hope that Gray is our return guy next year. We desperately need a spark in that category. Fred Ross did a good job but I think that he was just there so graham wouldn't fumble it.

Gray and Holloway on kick return would put a lot of speed back there. That's also probably the only place that Holloway sees the field.

Knowing Mullen he'll probably put Joe Morrow back there though