02-15-2015, 07:53 PM
On SEC network right now.

Roberts
Bowers
Power
Vincent
Stansbury

Heck of a play by Bowers at the end.

Amazing how Stansbury put that team together: 2 D1 transfers, a juco transfer, a kid from Miami, a kid from NYC, and 1 from MS.

msstate7
02-15-2015, 07:53 PM
Outstanding team. They were really fun to watch. God, I wish we had a bowers on this current team. He's probably my all time favorite basketball dawg

starkvegasdawg
02-15-2015, 07:56 PM
Outstanding team. They were really fun to watch. God, I wish we had a bowers on this current team. He's probably my all time favorite basketball dawg

I liked Bowers but I think my all time favorite award would have to go to Winsome Frazier.

TStationDawg
02-15-2015, 08:10 PM
Uhm, Daryl Wilson hands down and it ain't even close! That dude out dueled Ray Allen like a champ!

HoopsDawg
02-15-2015, 08:14 PM
I liked Bowers but I think my all time favorite award would have to go to Winsome Frazier.

Winsome Frazier? Oh my gosh.

HoopsDawg
02-15-2015, 08:17 PM
Uhm, Daryl Wilson hands down and it ain't even close! That dude out dueled Ray Allen like a champ!

Any list should start with Daryl no. 1.

1. Daryl Wilson
2. Cameron Burns
3. Damp
4. Bowers
5. Dontae
6. L-Rob
7. Tony Watts
8. Greg Carter
9. Chucky Chucky Evans
10. Derrick Zimmerman

shannondawg
02-15-2015, 08:59 PM
I loved it when Stansbury said Alabama was our rival not ole miss.

tcdog70
02-15-2015, 10:17 PM
Ray White, Wiley Peck, Gary Hooker, Greg Grim, Rickey Brown,al Perry, Jamont Gordon, Charles Rhodes just a few more

tcdog70
02-15-2015, 10:19 PM
1-3-1 trap at the 8 minute mark brilliant coaching move.

LC Dawg
02-15-2015, 10:58 PM

1. Daryl Wilson
2. Cameron Burns
3. Damp
4. Bowers
5. Dontae
6. L-Rob
7. Tony Watts
8. Greg Carter
9. Chucky Chucky Evans
10. Derrick Zimmerman

I love this list. The only player from the eras represented that I would consider would be Charles Rhodes. Obviously Bailey Howell and Jeff Malone are great but they precede me a little.
As great as Dampier and Dontae were I don't think we make the Final Four without Daryl Wilson. He's my favorite Bulldog in all sports.

Howboutdemdogs
02-16-2015, 12:20 AM
Had to be Frazier. The hair! And Down Goes Frazier. Was he the best,,,,,, meah,,,,,,,,,,,but had the look and tag line.

Dawg61
02-16-2015, 12:26 AM

1. Daryl Wilson
2. Cameron Burns
3. Damp
4. Bowers
5. Dontae
6. L-Rob
7. Tony Watts
8. Greg Carter
9. Chucky Chucky Evans
10. Derrick Zimmerman

Dude where's Jarvis Varnado and Mario Austin? Varnado has to be my favorite Bulldog. He didn't win as much but man was he an absolute FREAK blocking shots. All-Time record holder in NCAA history.

maroonmania
02-16-2015, 12:36 AM

Wilson is my all-time favorite. The bigger the game the bigger he played. If he had been 3 or 4 inches taller no telling what kind of NBA career he could have had.

tcdog70
02-16-2015, 09:34 AM
I love this list. The only player from the eras represented that I would consider would be Charles Rhodes. Obviously Bailey Howell and Jeff Malone are great but they precede me a little.
As great as Dampier and Dontae were I don't think we make the Final Four without Daryl Wilson. He's my favorite Bulldog in all sports.

Thats because you never saw-Rickey Brown, Ray White or Wiley Peck.I'll take those 3 with Malone and Chucky Evans and play any combo you put together

Liverpooldawg
02-16-2015, 09:46 AM
I loved it when Stansbury said Alabama was our rival not ole miss.

In basketball back then Alabama very much was our rival and not Mississippi. The old SEC west was usually between MSU and Bama in those days and Stans dominated Mississippi. The downfall of us and Bama has everything to do with why UM is relevant in basketball now.

shannondawg
02-16-2015, 10:03 AM
1-3-1 trap at the 8 minute mark brilliant coaching move.

shhhhh! Don't get him started.

rabbitthedawg
02-16-2015, 10:05 AM
Wonder if Coach34 would have enjoyed that great game, well coached, and full of talent. Oh well...it is what it is.

msstate7
02-16-2015, 10:11 AM
Wonder if Coach34 would have enjoyed that great game, well coached, and full of talent. Oh well...it is what it is.

No one wouldve wanted stansbury gone at that time. He was on top of his game. I wish stansbury could've maintained that level of play. I wish Sidney had gone to usc. Stansbury may still be here

thf24
02-16-2015, 10:15 AM
I wish Sidney had gone to usc. Stansbury may still be here

Maybe, but conversely, I think Stansbury definitely would still be here if Sidney had been his only problem.

These are no doubt some great players and times being discussed. Give me Stansbury with a good mix of the high-character guys being remembered fondly and a good disciplinarian at his back any day.

maroonmania
02-16-2015, 10:17 AM
No one wouldve wanted stansbury gone at that time. He was on top of his game. I wish stansbury could've maintained that level of play. I wish Sidney had gone to usc. Stansbury may still be here

Well, to be blount, that 2004 team was full of high character, high basketball IQ guys where the team could almost run itself. Unfortunately, the bulk of the players that followed after that were not in that category. Stans did great when the team really didn't need HIM to provide real leadership and discipline.

mic
02-16-2015, 10:40 AM
shhhhh! Don't get him started.

Coach 34 has no issues with Kermit Davis.. Which by the way that was his 1-3-1 half court zone trap..
The same one that we will see Thursday night.. Which AK got from Kermit..
Yeah it was very effective .. Esp with BV at the top of it..
I still don't know why we didn't use it during Gordon / Rhodes years with that team.. We had the athletic guys needed on that team to run it..

LC Dawg
02-16-2015, 11:31 AM
Thats because you never saw-Rickey Brown, Ray White or Wiley Peck.I'll take those 3 with Malone and Chucky Evans and play any combo you put together

Ok. I'll take Wilson, Dampier, Bowers, Zimmerman, and Lawrence Roberts. Should be a good game. Now the question is who is your coach? I guess since you have the older guys team you get to have McCarthy which gives you a big edge because there is a big drop-off in coaching after McCarthy IMO.
Seriously though, we really do have a pretty good roster of talent when you look at our basketball history. It is hard to pick just five. That's one of the reasons the current situation is so sad.

tcdog70
02-16-2015, 07:54 PM
I'll take the Babe as my Coach

smootness
02-16-2015, 08:30 PM

Sidney was just the extreme embodiment of the problems, he certainly wasn't the sole reason or cause. He was on the tail end.

The fact that Sidney was allowed to stick around and actually play given all his issues was the problem, not Sidney's issues themselves.

We had a couple of good turnarounds - Rhodes and to some degree Kodi Augustus. But when Kodi Augustus is one of the guys you have to choose as a guy that ended his career as sort of a changed guy with a better attitude, that's a serious problem. Varnado and Stewart were the end. After that, there wasn't enough talent to overcome the severe chemistry and effort issues.

I seen it dawg
02-16-2015, 08:31 PM
Well, to be blount, that 2004 team was full of high character, high basketball IQ guys where the team could almost run itself. Unfortunately, the bulk of the players that followed after that were not in that category. Stans did great when the team really didn't need HIM to provide real leadership and discipline.

This may be the most succinct way to put the whole damn argument.

Political Hack
02-17-2015, 10:48 AM
Bullard, Bowers, Dante, Roberts, and Dampier.

There's no combo you can put on the floor that has ever worn maroon that could beat that team.

tcdog70
02-17-2015, 06:59 PM
That is a great 5. But Imthink this one is better. Put the greatest Dog ever--Bailey Howell, give Him another NBA player in Rickey Brown at Center and another Nba player in Wiley Peck at the Power Forward then the greatest shooter in MSU History Jeff Malone(another NBA all star ). Oh we need the best assit Point Guard , that would be Chucky Evans. And you got to have a super six man-- Ray White. They could play anyone

Coach34
02-17-2015, 07:17 PM
Chucky, Super D, Malone, Burns, Dampier...6th man- Greg Carter

That line-up would beat either of those

Coach34
02-17-2015, 07:18 PM

I was coaching that day and missed the game

War Machine Dawg
02-17-2015, 07:48 PM
Super D, Bowers, Dontae, L-Rob, Dampier. I run all your teams off the court.

TheDogFather
02-17-2015, 08:44 PM

No credit to Stansbury for winning. No credit to Ray when he loses. A succinct look into your opinion.

To be blount

I seen it dawg
02-17-2015, 09:17 PM
No credit to Stansbury for winning. No credit to Ray when he loses. A succinct look into your opinion.

To be blount

Bluntly. You are the worst type of poster.

archdog
02-17-2015, 10:05 PM
That 2004 team was the absolute best team I have ever seen play in person At the college level. everything about that season was great except the way it ended. We were a force throughout the season. Just imagine the team Baylor would have had with Lawrence Roberts and they had a couple of other guys that were all american transfer out.

Other than dream team all time teams, I believe that 2004 team is arguably the best top to bottom teams we have ever had on the court at one time.
If that team was on the court this year, we would compete with anyone in the nation including Kentucky.

tcdog70
02-17-2015, 11:40 PM
You youngsters never saw Ray White, Rickey Brown ( the best recruit we ever signed). Peck play. I think Brown and Peck were # 1 draft choices. The team I named above had Four long time NBA players. Two of them were all stars and one a hall of fame player. I saw almost every Home game all the above mentioned players played and loved them all. But White, Brown and Peck were as good as they get. Remember there was no 3 point line.

TheDogFather
02-18-2015, 08:21 AM
Bluntly. You are the worst type of poster.

Veritas vos liberabit

I seen it dawg
02-18-2015, 11:29 AM
Veritas vos liberabit

Does that translate to "I'm a douchebag"?

thunderclap
02-18-2015, 12:49 PM

I don't really care one way or another, but you can't not give Stans credit for recruiting high character guys but blame him for recruiting troublemakers.

maroonmania
02-18-2015, 02:38 PM

To be blount

Where did I say I didn't give credit to Stansbury? He got all of those guys from 2004 onto the roster along with a lot of other very good players during his tenure. They were all at MSU because he recruited them here. Just blountly saying that Stans had problems with guys that let's say "needed parental guidance" once in his program. Putting Sidney and Stansbury together was an unmitigated disaster.

thf24
02-18-2015, 03:20 PM
Putting Sidney and Stansbury together was an unmitigated disaster.

A more accurate statement would be "putting Sidney and certain other players already on the team together under Stansbury's hands-off attitude towards discipline was an unmitigated disaster."

I hate to continue participating in the beating of the dead horse, I just don't think most people understand that Sidney was a symptom, not the problem, and that's important in understanding why Stansbury had to go. Had Sidney been Stansbury's only problem, he'd probably still be here.

Maroon Blood
02-18-2015, 03:43 PM
Ray White, Wiley Peck, Gary Hooker, Greg Grim, Rickey Brown,al Perry, Jamont Gordon, Charles Rhodes just a few more

Wiley Peck - The Chairman of the Boards

Maroon Blood
02-18-2015, 03:50 PM
That is a great 5. But Imthink this one is better. Put the greatest Dog ever--Bailey Howell, give Him another NBA player in Rickey Brown at Center and another Nba player in Wiley Peck at the Power Forward then the greatest shooter in MSU History Jeff Malone(another NBA all star ). Oh we need the best assit Point Guard , that would be Chucky Evans. And you got to have a super six man-- Ray White. They could play anyone

^^^^Someone is well-versed on MSU basketball history^^^^ My only change MIGHT be Al Perry or Timmy Bowers over Chucky. But Bailey Howell is the greatest basketball player in MSU history, in my opinion.

tcdog70
02-18-2015, 05:08 PM
^^^^Someone is well-versed on MSU basketball history^^^^ My only change MIGHT be Al Perry or Timmy Bowers over Chucky. But Bailey Howell is the greatest basketball player in MSU history, in my opinion.

Timmy was a 2 guard who played the point His Sr Year. Chucky was a pure PG and with the team I put Him on we wouldn't need a scorer at the Point-just a great ball handler and assist Man-That's Chucky--to a "T"

Maroon Blood
02-18-2015, 05:24 PM
Timmy was a 2 guard who played the point His Sr Year. Chucky was a pure PG and with the team I put Him on we wouldn't need a scorer at the Point-just a great ball handler and assist Man-That's Chucky--to a "T"

I'd put Al Perry over Chucky, especially with the players you listed...Brown, Peck, White. I am quite sure you remember when Wiley Peck knocked himself out during a dunk. The Chairman of the Boards was directly under the basket, reached up and slammed dunked it. The ball hit him on the top of the head and had so much force and velocity, it knocked him out. True story. A few other good ones that have not been mentioned were Jerry Jenkins, Larry Fry, Bill Singletary and Rich Knarr.

smootness
02-18-2015, 05:34 PM
I would just throw the 1996 starting 5 out there and probably end up winning most of these matchups. Can't stop Dontae.

Coach34
02-18-2015, 07:10 PM
sorry guys- Chucky is the best pure PG we have ever had. It's not even close when you look at the numbers. His passing was some of the best I've seen. Erick Stevens has a permanent dent in his chest from Chucky planting passes in it and stonehands not being good enough to catch them. He was quick as hell. Loved watching him play

tcdog70
02-18-2015, 07:21 PM
I'd put Al Perry over Chucky, especially with the players you listed...Brown, Peck, White. I am quite sure you remember when Wiley Peck knocked himself out during a dunk. The Chairman of the Boards was directly under the basket, reached up and slammed dunked it. The ball hit him on the top of the head and had so much force and velocity, it knocked him out. True story. A few other good ones that have not been mentioned were Jerry Jenkins, Larry Fry, Bill Singletary and Rich Knarr.

Jerry Jenkins and Larry Fry were our first two African-Americans. And Rich Knarr was a sharp shooter. Singletary lead the Sec in FG percentage -- he was from Jackson. David Williams was a hell of a player. Remember Jerry Graves one of our best ever and was involved in a point shaving deal and didn't play his Sr Year

tcdog70
02-18-2015, 07:22 PM
sorry guys- Chucky is the best pure PG we have ever had. It's not even close when you look at the numbers. His passing was some of the best I've seen. Erick Stevens has a permanent dent in his chest from Chucky planting passes in it and stonehands not being good enough to catch them. He was quick as hell. Loved watching him play

If Johnny walker and Eric could have caught chuck's passes he would have doubled his assist

Dayum, we agree on a Basketball thread-- Chucky was our best PG

Coach34
02-18-2015, 07:27 PM
Jerry Jenkins and Larry Fry were our first two African-Americans.

I worked for Fry- great guy. I actually had to drag stories out of him about his time at State. He was very proud of it- but he just wanted to be known as a State player- regardless of color.

Maroon Blood
02-19-2015, 09:35 AM
Chucky's greatest play of all-time was a beyond the half-court line buzzer beater to beat the Gamecocks in Columbia. I still have the video. I consider that shot and a top-of-the-key jumper that Ray White hit to beat Kentucky, as two of my favorites. There are plenty more, but those two were amazing. I remember attending games with my Dad in old McCarthy Gym, the loudest venue in the history of sports.

Coach34
02-19-2015, 10:25 AM
I think Chucky dropped 10 or more assists a couple times. He was an incredible passer. You know Stevens and Walker woke up in the middle of the night sweating about getting hit in the face with one. It was like Stevens never caught one with his hands- always in the chest

TheDogFather
02-19-2015, 11:11 AM
Does that translate to "I'm a douchebag"?

You're emotions are causing you to miss a good debate.

tcdog70
02-19-2015, 12:30 PM
Chucky's greatest play of all-time was a beyond the half-court line buzzer beater to beat the Gamecocks in Columbia. I still have the video. I consider that shot and a top-of-the-key jumper that Ray White hit to beat Kentucky, as two of my favorites. There are plenty more, but those two were amazing. I remember attending games with my Dad in old McCarthy Gym, the loudest venue in the history of sports.

I used to have a picture of the White shot that beat KY. We lost the SEC because of a bogus call after peck slammed a dunk that would have won the game in Ky. The Refs waved off the dunk and gave the Cats free throws and they won the game. I thought Jack was gonna stroke.

tcdog70
02-19-2015, 12:32 PM
I saw Ricky Moss hit a runner at the last second to beat LSU--Jack said he was hot as a depot stove