PDA

View Full Version : New kayak

BeastMan
02-15-2015, 06:33 PM
http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc473/stoms31/Mobile%20Uploads/A1B1A068-5AD4-49CE-9061-15BC8BAD3EF2_zps63vs6g5a.jpg

Got the Ascend FS128T. Also picked up an ascend paddle, transport wheels, anchor, life vest, and 3 leashes. I researched this yak pretty hard so I'm going to reinforce all the storage compartments and scupper hole seams with marine grade silicon to be safe. The only other mods I'll do before I get it on the water will be adding a few cleats and 1 more paddle clip. Pretty excited about this setup.

Barking 13
02-17-2015, 01:31 AM
nice!! what price range does a rig like that run... That would be perfect for the creeks and small rivers up here...

SpeckleDawg
02-17-2015, 09:36 AM
Looks good. I have heard the same things about needing to add some silicon. No big deal for the great price and functionality on those yaks.

BeastMan
02-17-2015, 04:26 PM
nice!! what price range does a rig like that run... That would be perfect for the creeks and small rivers up here...

http://www.basspro.com/Ascend-FS128TSit-On-Top-Angler-Kayak-Camo/product/12102505321116/?cmCat=CROSSSELL_PRODUCT

MSUDawg4Life
02-17-2015, 04:42 PM
Interesting reviews on that kayak. Folks mention having to bail three and four gallons of water from it, but they still give it four or five stars.

I've never had a kayak, so maybe that's not a big deal. For me, having it take on that much water and having to seal it myself after purchase would make me uncomfortable.

But ... apparently ... the people who own it seem to love it. Hope you enjoy your new kayak, Beastman.

BeastMan
02-17-2015, 05:54 PM
Interesting reviews on that kayak. Folks mention having to bail three and four gallons of water from it, but they still give it four or five stars.

I've never had a kayak, so maybe that's not a big deal. For me, having it take on that much water and having to seal it myself after purchase would make me uncomfortable.

But ... apparently ... the people who own it seem to love it. Hope you enjoy your new kayak, Beastman.

All it is, is that the seams where the they "fit" the 2 pieces is in the scupper holes. That fit has had some sealing issues. Not all of them have but some have. If you happen to have one that does have a sealing issue and take it out of the box and on the water a slow leak will fill up the hull of the boat. The other issues has been with the compartment hatches but that is pretty par for the course on any kayak under $1000. My first kayak was a pelican and the first time I took it in salt and there was some wave action the water that splashed on the front went in the front compartment. My boat wasn't sinking but when I got back to land and noticed it weighed an extra 30 lbs it was because the hull had taken on water.

I've inspected mine pretty close and the "fit" seems to be fine. That said, I'm not taking any chances. I'll be using a marine grade silicon to go back over every seam in the scupper holes and all the hatches and compartments. Just a little extra time and care.

What I, and others, love about this kayak is the functional layout. If you've never fished a kayak you might not fully grasp how hard it is to do simple task like reach a cooler or tackle box behind you. I really enjoyed fishing from my pelican but it was a pain in the ass. If what you what needed wasn't in you lap, it was a big deal to locate and get what you need. This is a $750 kayak with a $2k+ layout. You get to sit up high with an open deck and a 360 swivel seat to be able to reach behind you with ease. To me, its worth putting a little time and effort into improving what mass production screws up to get the functionality I want without shelling out thousands for a Hobie.

MSUDawg4Life
02-17-2015, 06:30 PM
Cool. I figured it must be a minor issue. I can understand spending a little time to save $1200. That leaves more money for other gear.

BeastMan
02-17-2015, 06:32 PM
Cool. I figured it must be a minor issue. I can understand spending a little time to save $1200. That leaves more money for other gear.

Ya man. If money wasn't an issue, I'd get a hobie. Just wanted to hash out my thinking process so it made some sense

bobcat91
02-18-2015, 06:24 PM
I use a Native Watercraft Manta Ray 14 ft. It is a sit on top and is very nice for paddling the Rez, fishing and anything it need to do. For transporting from one place to another, I use a T Bone for my truck. If you need any equipment, go on line to Austin Canoe and Kayak--they are awesome and they freight shipped my Yak to me.

BeastMan
02-18-2015, 06:25 PM
I use a Native Watercraft Manta Ray 14 ft. It is a sit on top and is very nice for paddling the Rez, fishing and anything it need to do. For transporting from one place to another, I use a T Bone for my truck. If you need any equipment, go on line to Austin Canoe and Kayak--they are awesome and they freight shipped my Yak to me.

I bought a truck bed extender for transport. Those natives are very nice boats.

bobcat91
02-19-2015, 02:05 AM
I bought a truck bed extender for transport. Those natives are very nice boats.

I use the T Bone truck bed extender--it works well. The Natives are really good and I had mine drop shipped from Texas to my house. It has been very stable, tracks well and is a good fishing rig.