PDA

View Full Version : How about our Softball team

Howboutdemdogs
02-14-2015, 11:16 PM
9 and 0 to star 2015. We are stout! Way to go Ladies.

engie
02-14-2015, 11:44 PM
Was in the 35 range last week in terms of rankings(counting out the others receiving votes)... Should be getting really close to ranked...

So:
MBB - Improved, but nowhere close to where we want to be
WBB - Comfortably in the top 20
CFB - Highest ranking inside the state of MS in 50, FIFTY, years
Baseball - Ranked top 25
Softball - Just outside the top 25 and knocking on the door
MTennis - Ranked top 25, new facility coming
WTennis - A dominant 6-1 right now, new facility coming
MGolf - Not up and going yet -- Should improve drastically with the move to Old Waverly
WGolf - Ranked #1 for awhile, probably still top 10
Volleyball - Rebuilding with an impressive new coach hired
Soccer - In year 3 of a rebuild(2 years of recruiting), with a new facility in the works

Fahrrr Stricklin**

TheRef
02-14-2015, 11:50 PM
Speaking of the new Volleyball coach, I've talked with a couple of the girls and they love this guy. He has them working hard, but they are having fun at the same time, something that was lacking under Hazelwood. Expect a drastic improvement after this year.

engie
02-15-2015, 12:19 AM
Yeah, the "pre-season" signing period in all the small sports always lengthens rebuilds(let's be real -- in this case -- it's just a build. Not really a rebuild.). Coaches coach their first team without any of their own(front line) recruits, only late signees that are often going to be "late" signees for a reason. Then, in their second year, they are baptizing all of the freshmen by fire, and then in year 3 you see the improvement, and you start to get a true idea about the coach...

I just love the fact that we're refusing to settle. Strick's message is clear -- he wants to compete at very high levels in every single sport.

The crazy thing about our softball team:
- leading power hitter is a soph
- Our 2 starting pitchers are a fr and a soph. Those 2 have thrown 55.2 of 59 innings thusfar.
- leading RBI and SLG hitter is a different soph
- 8 FR, 6 SO, 2 JR, 4 SRs(3 contributors)

This is a regional team this year, with potential to possibly get through a regional and hosting isn't outside the realm of possibility -- but the future is even brighter. Kinda the same story as women's basketball in that regard

TaleofTwoDogs
02-15-2015, 01:25 AM
9 and 0 to star 2015. We are stout! Way to go Ladies. Hate to be a Debbie Downer but

don't get your hopes up to much for softball. Last year they started 15-0 and then at 19-1 the wheels started coming off and they finished 10-14 in the SEC. Check back again in mid-March.

mstatefan91
02-15-2015, 02:51 AM
Hate to be a Debbie Downer but

don't get your hopes up to much for softball. Last year they started 15-0 and then at 19-1 the wheels started coming off and they finished 10-14 in the SEC. Check back again in mid-March.

This. I support everything MSU, but after last year, I can't get my hopes up yet. I know some people close to the program. I hope this is their year. They deserve it

MabenMaroon
02-15-2015, 10:43 AM
Hate to be a Debbie Downer but

To just throw out that record and say the wheels came off, is not very fair in describing the end of the season. Our schedule was back loaded with the traditional top teams in the SEC/nation. To go 10-14 against the schedule we had is quite the accomplishment after the start in conference play. We took series from Bama ( @ s'vegas ) and from Tenn ( @ Knox ) both were OKC participants and top ten teams. They had a rough start to open conference play but finished strong and I can't exactly recall what it was, but lost game one to Texas in the regionals on a couple of very controversial calls.

engie
02-15-2015, 10:55 AM
they finished 10-14 in the SEC. Check back again in mid-March.

Which was still a regional team, with a 2 game SEC improvement and a 4.5 game improvement overall -- largely on the backs of a bunch of talented freshmen from Steudeman's first true recruiting class that are now really good players as sophomores. Not to mention that you generally get 4 years out of your softball players, and it won't be fully "her" team until year 5. This is year 3.

3rd year coaching, 2nd real recruiting class playing as trfr right now. As long as we stay on an upward trajectory in sports, I stay really excited about them. I think Steudeman can compete for titles in softball here -- and feeling like that's still a year or two away does nothing to curb my excitement level for that possibility. If I had to put a schedule on my expectations, I'd say this team is a regional 2 seed in hosting contention, next year's team will be a hosting lock, and the next(5th yr) will be a legit title contender...

Howboutdemdogs
02-15-2015, 06:16 PM
I would like to challenge all Bulldog fans to pack the house for Softball. It is an exciting game, which we can compete. Come and support the girls, especially when SEC play starts.