PDA

View Full Version : Interesting basketball stat

msstate7
02-14-2015, 06:20 PM
Saw this during mizzou game...

4 of our 7 sec losses are by 6 points or less and we held a 2nd half lead in each of those games.

To me that's an indication we aren't as far away as we think. If we all of those, we're 9-3. If we win half of those, we're 7-5.

Maybe a player like weatherspoon can get us over the hump in these tight losses.

Quaoarsking
02-14-2015, 06:28 PM
Shhhhhh the only reason we aren't 0-12 is because Sword went off a few times** (even though neither Sword, Thomas, nor Ware have improved one iota since they got here**) and we're very likely to go 0-fer for the rest of the season**

Rayburn8
02-14-2015, 06:29 PM
GTFO Logical statements are not allow on this topic.****

TheDogFather
02-14-2015, 06:57 PM

4 of our 7 sec losses are by 6 points or less and we held a 2nd half lead in each of those games.

To me that's an indication we aren't as far away as we think. If we all of those, we're 9-3. If we win half of those, we're 7-5.

Maybe a player like weatherspoon can get us over the hump in these tight losses.

If I had picked the right numbers Wednesday I would've won the lottery. I guess that makes me richer than I look on paper.

tcdog70
02-14-2015, 09:57 PM
We have an experienced team, we should win games or make them interesting. Most of our starters have started for three years. But we can't inbound the ball. We have no offensive game plan. A zone defense befuddles Us.we are a turnover factory . Our point guards are below average. The only recruit of Rays that is any factor is Ready. We could have had Gray,Pollard, Lewis, Steel, Smith and yes Hood if Ray had a brain.

Dawg61
02-14-2015, 10:13 PM

Imagine what next year's team could do with a great coach.

msstate7
02-14-2015, 10:18 PM
Imagine what next year's team could do with a great coach.

Well I don't see that happening. What I'm hoping for is progression from current players, coaches, and weatherspoon lives up to his top 100 billing

maroonmania
02-14-2015, 10:27 PM

Not that surprising to me, the SEC is still not a good league so with as many upperclassmen as we have on our team playing I wouldn't expect us to be getting blown out routinely. What I would like to understand right now is why we are shooting the ball so much better on the road than at home? In all 3 SEC wins on the road we have shot better than any game we have played at home. Kind of strange.

msstate7
02-14-2015, 10:29 PM
Not that surprising to me, the SEC is still not a good league so with as many upperclassmen as we have on our team playing I wouldn't expect us to be getting blown out routinely. What I would like to understand right now is why we are shooting the ball so much better on the road than at home? In all 3 SEC wins on the road we have shot better than any game we have played at home. Kind of strange.

Probably just nervous at home bc of the huge crowds haha

Coach34
02-14-2015, 10:32 PM
SEC is projected to get 6 teams in the NCAA Tourney- not a good league my ass

engie
02-14-2015, 10:43 PM
SEC is projected to get 6 teams in the NCAA Tourney- not a good league my ass

Same thing I was thinking. It's still tough to watch at times -- but the league itself is vastly improved.

Quaoarsking
02-14-2015, 10:49 PM
The SEC is currently sixth (http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2015/conferencerpi) in RPI.

It was 7th in 2013-14 (http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2014/conferencerpi) and 9th in 2012-13 (http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2014/conferencerpi) . Another Raybasher argument (that the SEC is currently the weakest its been in the Ray era and that's why we've improved) debunked.

maroonmania
02-14-2015, 10:52 PM
I'll be shocked if the SEC gets six teams in the NCAAs but whatever, I've kept up with college basketball in general probably less this year than any in a long time. I'll just say that watching the SEC teams outside of KY I'm not overly impressed.

engie
02-14-2015, 11:14 PM
I agree that there is clear separation between Kentucky and everyone else. But let's be real -- there is clear separation between Kentucky and every other team in the country.

What we've seen is the middle of the pack vastly improve. In years past, Kentucky and Florida have been elite, while everyone else was terrible. In terms of RPI(this year, last year):
Kentucky - 2, 7 -- Improved
Florida - 75, 1 -- Drastically Worse
Georgia - 33, 72 -- Vastly Improved
Ole Miss - 34, 88 -- Vastly Improved
Arky - 23, 67 -- Vastly Improved
aTm - 43, 147 -- Vastly Improved
LSU - 51, 68 -- Improved
Tennessee - 84, 37 -- Drastically Worse
Alabama - 77, 128 -- Vastly Improved
Vanderbilt - 108, 121 -- Improved
MSU - 175, 239 -- Vastly Improved
Auburn - 140, 160 -- Improved
South Carolina - 103, 139 -- Vastly Improved
Mizzou - 190, 147 -- Drastically Worse

11 of the 14 teams are better than they were last year according to RPI, 7 of them ALOT better...vs only 3 teams that got worse(all notably worse)... Until it happens again, this is a blip on the radar for Florida and Tennessee is rebuilding after losing everything. Both have a chance to be tournament teams most of the time. It's wait and see at Mizzou..

msstate7
02-14-2015, 11:18 PM
Rpi loses all credibility having Kentucky at #2. Kentucky is undefeated. Kansas has 4 losses including losing to kentucky by 32 on a neutral site. Yeah, kansas above kentucky...

maroonmania
02-15-2015, 12:53 AM
The SEC is currently sixth (http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2015/conferencerpi) in RPI.

It was 7th in 2013-14 (http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2014/conferencerpi) and 9th in 2012-13 (http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2014/conferencerpi) . Another Raybasher argument (that the SEC is currently the weakest its been in the Ray era and that's why we've improved) debunked.

Still not sure if I would quantify the 6th rated conference in RPI as a "good league". I agree that overall its better than last year.

MSUDawg4Life
02-15-2015, 12:56 AM
Sounds like we need more talent. I wonder if the incoming class will improve our results. Help us to win some of those close games.

msstate7
02-15-2015, 07:59 AM
Sounds like we need more talent. I wonder if the incoming class will improve our results. Help us to win some of those close games.

I think so too.

At first ray wasn't recruiting at a level that we need to be at. Ray has stepped it up nicely lately. We've got a top 100 player this year signed and one committed next season. We're recruiting a juco sg that we really need to sign.

Oh and black's gonna be good (had to get that in dawg61 haha)

TheDogFather
02-15-2015, 08:29 AM

We could have been good if we had played better, and at 6th, the league is not as bad as is could be. Are "Raybashers" the unreasonable ones? Ya'll have completely lost it.

TheDogFather
02-15-2015, 08:30 AM
Rpi loses all credibility having Kentucky at #2. Kentucky is undefeated. Kansas has 4 losses including losing to kentucky by 32 on a neutral site. Yeah, kansas above kentucky...

There is no way that is an indication of a weak SEC. After all, the SEC is ranked 6th.

MaxedOutMaroon
02-15-2015, 09:28 AM
i am very satisfied with our conference slate so far, I expected to be around 7-8 conference wins this year, and we are on track to do that. The problem still lies with that terrible non-conference slump when we lost to bad teams

msstate7
02-15-2015, 09:34 AM
i am very satisfied with our conference slate so far, I expected to be around 7-8 conference wins this year, and we are on track to do that. The problem still lies with that terrible non-conference slump when we lost to bad teams

Ark st, mcneese state, and usc upstate losses are painful. Get those 3 wins and we're 14-9 with nit very much attainable

TheDogFather
02-15-2015, 09:42 AM
Ark st, mcneese state, and usc upstate losses are painful. Get those 3 wins and we're 14-9 with nit very much attainable

Let that sink in for a minute.

Dawg61
02-15-2015, 09:53 AM

We'd be 15-10. 9 points vs Arky and 44 free throws 47 points scored vs Tennessee don't help Ray either. His offense will always be atrocious. Why are we going to wait? We're shooting ourselves in the foot by waiting.