PDA

View Full Version : AL Car Tag Update/Plead

MzTerry
02-14-2015, 12:25 PM
Alabama Bulldogs - please sign up for the MSU vanity plate. We're up to 808 as of today! Even if it's not your thing, please sign up for it this one year, so that Bulldog fans that it is important to will have the option going forward. We have until April 30th.

dawg1
02-14-2015, 12:53 PM
I agree. I did this a while back and encourage everyone living in Alabama do the same. Do it this year and you don't have to do it next year if you don't want to. If you know a bulldog fan living in Alabama also let them know. THIS IS A BIG DEAL!!!! No university from outside the state of Alabama has a license plate in the state. Lets be the first. Remember, the state of Alabama is vital to recruiting no only athletes but students as well.

Dawg496
02-14-2015, 01:35 PM
I'll purchase two of these. I wasn't going to seeing as we're moving out of the state but since we're still not there, I'll pull the trigger.

maroonmania
02-14-2015, 01:57 PM
So I assume they refund your money if you prepay on this and it doesn't go through?

dawg1
02-14-2015, 01:59 PM
That is my understanding.

dparker
02-14-2015, 01:59 PM
Link (https://precommit.mvtrip.alabama.gov/UserCommit/Index) for those who haven't done it yet

Dawg496
02-14-2015, 02:07 PM
Here is the link: https://precommit.mvtrip.alabama.gov/UserCommit/Index

We have 809 as of this moment.

Bama_Dawg
02-14-2015, 04:27 PM
We'll need to get inside 100 before it will go quickly. I think some, like me, are not thinking it will happen. And I don't like the fact that the proceeds go to the AL general fund. I believe MS gives the university the money if its located in state or not.

MzTerry
02-15-2015, 10:49 AM
We'll need to get inside 100 before it will go quickly. I think some, like me, are not thinking it will happen. And I don't like the fact that the proceeds go to the AL general fund. I believe MS gives the university the money if its located in state or not.

With all due respect bama_dawg, do you not see the irony in the fact that you won't sign up because you don't think it will happen, yet if you signed up it would be one more tag closer to happening? We got up to 815 yesterday by the end of the day! When I started looking first thing in the morning we were at 801. Improvement of that magnitude in one day definitely puts us on track.

I won't fight you on the proceeds going to AL general fund. I personally don't have a problem w/ it, but can understand the view of those who do.

defiantdog
02-15-2015, 11:25 AM
With all due respect bama_dawg, do you not see the irony in the fact that you won't sign up because you don't think it will happen, yet if you signed up it would be one more tag closer to happening? We got up to 815 yesterday by the end of the day! When I started looking first thing in the morning we were at 801. Improvement of that magnitude in one day definitely puts us on track.

I won't fight you on the proceeds going to AL general fund. I personally don't have a problem w/ it, but can understand the view of those who do.

Make it 817..... got 2..... my girlfriend didn't want one at first, but I used persuasion.

RTO Dawg
02-15-2015, 11:30 AM
Got mine this morning!!

dawg1
02-15-2015, 01:47 PM
Bama Dawg, I believe in Mississippi only half of the money goes back to the University. The other half goes to the general fund.

HSVDawg
02-15-2015, 02:56 PM

Let me preface this by saying I registered both mine and my wife's vehicles because I would love to see this happen. However, the way the state is going about this is complete BS and reeks of them making it as difficult as possible for any non-AL universities to get license plate representation.

First, you have to pay immediately for the new tag pre-commitment. Its not like bowl game tickets, for instance, where you only pay once the arrangement is official. Secondly, your pre-commitment is tied to your vehicle VIN number. So if your car craps out or you decide to trade it in before production of the new tags is approved, then you are SOL and have to pay another $50 per vehicle that you swapped out since your pre-commitment. It's not like MSU alumni are too lazy or don't care about this initiative. In fact, there are probably 15,000 - 20,000 MSU folks in Huntsville alone that would purchase them as soon as they were available. The problem is very few people want to be on the hook for something that may not happen and that they may have to pay for again even if it does happen.

defiantdog
02-15-2015, 04:37 PM
Let me preface this by saying I registered both mine and my wife's vehicles because I would love to see this happen. However, the way the state is going about this is complete BS and reeks of them making it as difficult as possible for any non-AL universities to get license plate representation.

First, you have to pay immediately for the new tag pre-commitment. Its not like bowl game tickets, for instance, where you only pay once the arrangement is official. Secondly, your pre-commitment is tied to your vehicle VIN number. So if your car craps out or you decide to trade it in before production of the new tags is approved, then you are SOL and have to pay another $50 per vehicle that you swapped out since your pre-commitment. It's not like MSU alumni are too lazy or don't care about this initiative. In fact, there are probably 15,000 - 20,000 MSU folks in Huntsville alone that would purchase them as soon as they were available. The problem is very few people want to be on the hook for something that may not happen and that they may have to pay for again even if it does happen.

Email here if you want a refund landrews@alumni.msstate.edu

HSVDawg
02-15-2015, 07:21 PM
Email here if you want a refund landrews@alumni.msstate.edu

Thanks for the link. I'll bookmark it but hopefully by the time April 30th rolls around I won't need it.

dawg1
02-15-2015, 08:05 PM
However, the way the state is going about this is complete BS and reeks of them making it as difficult as possible for any non-AL universities to get license plate representation.

I agree. There is a reason no other school has accomplished this.

Dawg496
02-15-2015, 08:40 PM
Well let's be the first and only. Come on guys its $50.

MzTerry
02-15-2015, 09:41 PM
Well let's be the first and only. Come on guys its $50.

That's the attitude 946, we're up to 825.

Dawg496
02-15-2015, 10:34 PM
That's the attitude 946, we're up to 825.

I've been harassing my friends for the last 3 days. Should be able to get a few more this week.

Martianlander
02-16-2015, 08:52 AM
My youngest daughter and son-in law live in Alabama and they have both cars signed up for it.

Bama_Dawg
02-16-2015, 09:28 AM

Hi MzTerry, instead of saying "with all due respect", just come over and slap me in the face. Don't try to side step it...if you don't agree, don't passify. Second, I never said I wouldn't sign up for one. I said once it gets under 100 to go it will go quickly and I'll go in.

My biggest problem is its a $50 fee that the state of AL is making interest off of right now. That's ~800 precommits at $50, so $40,000 (right now) they are earning interest on, and will not pay that (the interest) back if the initiative does not go through, and will not discount the tag vs the amount of interest they made.

To me, this is a sham. Instead of requiring people to pay to sign up, solicit non-monetary interest. The number would need to be much higher than 1000, since many will not follow through.

I'm not an Ole Miss lawyer (they are way behind on pre-commits anyway), I don't have disposable income to part with if something is not going to happen.

maroonmania
02-16-2015, 10:38 AM
Hi MzTerry, instead of saying "with all due respect", just come over and slap me in the face. Don't try to side step it...if you don't agree, don't passify. Second, I never said I wouldn't sign up for one. I said once it gets under 100 to go it will go quickly and I'll go in.

My biggest problem is its a $50 fee that the state of AL is making interest off of right now. That's ~800 precommits at $50, so $40,000 (right now) they are earning interest on, and will not pay that (the interest) back if the initiative does not go through, and will not discount the tag vs the amount of interest they made.

To me, this is a sham. Instead of requiring people to pay to sign up, solicit non-monetary interest. The number would need to be much higher than 1000, since many will not follow through.

I'm not an Ole Miss lawyer (they are way behind on pre-commits anyway), I don't have disposable income to part with if something is not going to happen.

I think you are reaching a bit here. I mean interest on 40K for a few months to the state of AL? As much as having to pay up front stinks I really don't know another way they would guarantee to sell 1,000 before licensing the plate. The way I understand it you pay the $50 bucks and if doesn't go through you get your money back. Sounds like the only way there might be an issue is if it does go through and you got rid of the car you designate if for between the time you sign up and the time you renew your tag. But even then I'm willing to bet they would let you transfer the extra fee to a different car you own. Sounds to me like you either are willing to pay the extra fee to have the MSU plate or you aren't. And not everyone has an extra $50 dollars to spend on license plates so that's understood.

MzTerry
02-16-2015, 10:55 AM

Wow, big message board talk... sidestep it? I clearly said I don't agree. I guess I have to "slap you in the face" and be rude if I don't agree. Why can't I disagree and say why civilly? I feel the way that I feel ab the overall issue, but definitely see your points and agree w/ several (especially the interest piece). I'm just trying to make do with the hand we're dealt because the state of AL sure isn't going to try to help us out or change the setup at this point.

Regarding my comment on your first point in the original post - I didn't even see that point as an issue of agree vs. disagree. I was attempting to point out what I thought was a part of the equation you may not have thought about, but after your second response I now see that your hesitation to sign up is more your issue w/ their handling of the pre-commits than your thinking we won't get the 1,000.

I'm certainly not trying to tell someone to spend something they don't have. You've stated why you won't sign up until a later date which is obviously your choice and not my place to pass judgement on. This thread was merely started as a reminder and a plea to those who are interested. I would think whether or not you agree with the handling of the situation by the state of AL that you still want this to pass? If so, please understand I'm not trying to argue with anyone on here but just get the word out and get this passed despite the challenges the state is presenting us.

Bama_Dawg
02-16-2015, 11:07 AM
Wow, big message board talk... sidestep it? I clearly said I don't agree. I guess I have to "slap you in the face" and be rude if I don't agree. Why can't I disagree and say why civilly? I feel the way that I feel ab the overall issue, but definitely see your points and agree w/ several (especially the interest piece). I'm just trying to make do with the hand we're dealt because the state of AL sure isn't going to try to help us out or change the setup at this point.

Regarding my comment on your first point in the original post - I didn't even see that point as an issue of agree vs. disagree. I was attempting to point out what I thought was a part of the equation you may not have thought about, but after your second response I now see that your hesitation to sign up is more your issue w/ their handling of the pre-commits than your thinking we won't get the 1,000.

I'm certainly not trying to tell someone to spend something they don't have. You've stated why you won't sign up until a later date which is obviously your choice and not my place to pass judgement on. This thread was merely started as a reminder and a plea to those who are interested. I would think whether or not you agree with the handling of the situation by the state of AL that you still want this to pass? If so, please understand I'm not trying to argue with anyone on here but just get the word out and get this passed despite the challenges the state is presenting us.

Bless your heart, MzTerry, I'm just trying to keep up with you...you bashed my original comment for not 100% agreeing with you, so guess what...I had to defend and I will. That's the greatness of these boards we can have differing opinions, and that's ok. I will tell you, you are making this thread a bit difficult for me because I don't 100% agree with you and the State of AL process on this. HSVDawg understands when I read his/her posts on this thread.

"With all due respect" lost its civility many years ago (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af-Id_fuXFA)...you might as well said "Bless your heart..."

Bama_Dawg
02-16-2015, 11:14 AM
Bama Dawg, I believe in Mississippi only half of the money goes back to the University. The other half goes to the general fund.

Hey dawg1, I found it...I was wrong...money stays in MS for Bama and Auburn tags:

http://www.dor.ms.gov/mvl/SpecialtyTagFeeDistribution.html

So for the specialty cost, we screw Alabama as much as they do us on this one.

MzTerry
02-16-2015, 12:54 PM
Bless your heart, MzTerry, I'm just trying to keep up with you...you bashed my original comment for not 100% agreeing with you, so guess what...I had to defend and I will. That's the greatness of these boards we can have differing opinions, and that's ok. I will tell you, you are making this thread a bit difficult for me because I don't 100% agree with you and the State of AL process on this. HSVDawg understands when I read his/her posts on this thread.

"With all due respect" lost its civility many years ago (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af-Id_fuXFA)...you might as well said "Bless your heart..."

I can't watch youtube at work, but I look forward to checking out the video later. It hasn't lost its civility to me, so it appears that's the portion that must have led you to believe I was bashing your original comment. Other than that, I legitimately don't see what in my original post would make you think I was bashing anything.

People can absolutely disagree on here, as I think my previous two posts show. I don't think I have to be rude to someone if I disagree w/ them though. What's more is I don't even disagree w/ you at this point, and feel like we're arguing semantics. I originally thought you were saying you didn't want to sign up until we were closer to the 1,000 because you didn't think we'd get it in general (which is what I disagreeD with), not that you wouldn't sign up until we were closer because you disagree w/ the state's process.

I disagree w/ the state's process too. I just don't feel nearly as strong ab it because I don't think there is anything we can do to change it. I get so tired of bammers, barners, and even rebs here pretending as if we're still poor ol state that I would get great satisfaction out of being the only out-of-state school w/ a vanity tag.

I'm happy to just post updates & keep the topic relevant over the next couple of months because as I said before I wasn't trying to do anything other than rally the troops.

Majors42
02-17-2015, 01:40 AM

"With all due respect" lost its civility many years ago (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af-Id_fuXFA)...you

might as well said "Bless your heart..."

Hey Bama dawg stop crying like a whiny 11 year old. The dude just wants to get people to sign up. Jesus you are like playing cards with my sisters kids. Interest? Bless your heart

defiantdog
02-17-2015, 08:51 AM
Bama dawg...... It's $50. It's not a big deal.

Dawg496
02-17-2015, 09:05 AM
I will pay you the 75 cents in interest if it doesn't work out. Just register.

Bama_Dawg
02-17-2015, 01:56 PM
Hey Bama dawg stop crying like a whiny 11 year old. The dude just wants to get people to sign up. Jesus you are like playing cards with my sisters kids. Interest? Bless your heart

Uncle Major...you got any deuces?

sandwolf
02-17-2015, 03:47 PM
I will pay you the 75 cents in interest if it doesn't work out. Just register.

It wouldn't even be a dime. The idea that they are doing all of this to make money on the interest is one of the dumber things I have heard in a while. With the current interest rates, they wouldn't even make $100 off of holding $50k for a couple of months.

MzTerry
02-27-2015, 12:07 PM
901/100 as of this morning

RougeDawg
02-27-2015, 12:56 PM
901/100 as of this morning

Have you gotten Stricklin involved? He has a ton of Twitter followers. Maybe you have, but it could be the boost you need. Good luck.

Dawg496
02-27-2015, 01:54 PM
Thanks to everyone helping out. Let's get this thing done.

MzTerry
02-27-2015, 02:52 PM
Have you gotten Stricklin involved? He has a ton of Twitter followers. Maybe you have, but it could be the boost you need. Good luck.

I have not personally reached out to him, but I know several with limited success. I'm not sure why, but I haven't seen him retweet the links when people ask him to. There has been a very strange reaction from the university at times, I guess b/c they can't get any revenue out of it (although I would argue the publicity, for lack of a better word, in a state we actively recruit students and student-athletes in generates revenue). I'm not saying they should go on a campaign for it, but a simple retweet here and there could really help. They finally put it on the website which I believe has been helpful.

I haven't done anything other than tell all my MSU friends in AL to sign up and start this thread and bump threads others have started on other message boards, so I certainly don't want to take credit for being some factor in this because I haven't. I would just love to see this pass as I see this as another step of legitimizing MSU's brand and letting people know we're here to stay etc. etc.

sandwolf
02-27-2015, 04:12 PM
I have not personally reached out to him, but I know several with limited success. I'm not sure why, but I haven't seen him retweet the links when people ask him to.

That is pretty surprising. I would have thought Stricklin would have been all over that.

bluelightstar
02-27-2015, 06:13 PM
That is pretty surprising. I would have thought Stricklin would have been all over that.

Strick has retweeted it a couple times.

Dawg496
03-02-2015, 10:04 AM
Only 81 left to go now.. those of you waiting to see if it would be successful should go ahead and jump in now.

rcsteph1
03-02-2015, 04:44 PM
We are now at 928.... This is gonna happen!

Mutt the Hoople
03-02-2015, 06:58 PM
In the Free State of Texas, we already have Mississippi State car tags....
http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/6f1256b81290466c9d5b639d065e755f79c0447.jpg
HAPPY TEXAS INDEPENDENCE DAY!!!!!!!!

MzTerry
03-02-2015, 07:57 PM
We are now at 928.... This is gonna happen!

939!

rcsteph1
03-02-2015, 08:21 PM
In the Free State of Texas, we already have Mississippi State car tags....
http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/6f1256b81290466c9d5b639d065e755f79c0447.jpg
HAPPY TEXAS INDEPENDENCE DAY!!!!!!!!

I moved to Houston last June and will be here until june of this year, I wanted to get a TX tag so that I would have one for the wall when I go back home but it was just too much trouble

Barking 13
03-03-2015, 12:35 AM
I guess I'm a cheap ass... I went to Dollar General and got a $7 "officially licensed" Mississippi State tag frame.....

Plus this is a fleet car and they don't allow custom tags...

Bama_Dawg
03-03-2015, 07:36 AM
952 precommits. 48 to go as of 6:30 this morning.

Yes, I'm one of the precommits...

bluelightstar
03-03-2015, 06:52 PM
It's done. 1006 final count.

defiantdog
03-03-2015, 07:51 PM
It's done. 1006 final count.

Sweet..... When do I get mine now lol?