PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Cooking & Drinking Thread

BeastMan
02-13-2015, 12:24 PM
It's Valentine's Weekend so I'm expecting less cooking from most this weekend. That said, I think I'm doing steaks saturday night because my wife has to work this weekend and we won't go out.

Fun side note: I just got my truck bed extender so now I can go buy the kayak I've been eying for a few months :cool:

SapperDawg
02-13-2015, 04:04 PM
Nice deal on the yak! What are you getting? I got the Yakima cradle and rollers and put my yak on top of the truck.

Headed to the coast this weekend to drop the tiny dawg at the grandparent's house. Then the wife and I heading to feast on some fresh gulf seafood and spend the night in a hotel room that cost way too much.

BeastMan
02-13-2015, 05:16 PM
Ascend FS128T. The poor man's rich man kayak lol. Upgrading from a pelican so I'll be in hog heaven. I'm also going to grab wheels, paddle, and hand held GPS.

SpeckleDawg
02-14-2015, 08:05 AM
Nice. I've been eyeing the ascend as well. I would be switching from a 14' redfish. The idea of being able to stand up while kayak fishing is why I'll probably pick one up soon. Hurry up and test it hard and give us a review! Which GPS unit are you planning to buy?

BeastMan
02-14-2015, 11:16 AM
Nothing fancy. It's a small hand-held Magellan. All I want it to do is save all the coords for the inshore reefs so I can paddle right to them

ETA- Magellan Exorist 110

SapperDawg
02-14-2015, 11:43 AM
Thats a nice yak. I just finsihed the seat riser mod on my Native Ultimate 12 to make it easier to stand up in. Nothing like fly fishing out of that thing in the summertime. Periodically, I will snag a 4+ lb bass on Guntersville and it will tow me and the yak around for a bit.

BeastMan
02-14-2015, 11:53 AM
Ya Sapper, it seems to be pretty good if you do your research and don't expect a hobie. There are a few things in going to do before I ever take it on the water. From research there are a few minor issues but they can all be easily fixed before you hit the water. I'll do some extra silicone sealing to be safe and reinforce the chair.

DancingRabbit
02-14-2015, 09:41 PM
It looks like most folks over here are better cooks than me and I won't be enlightening anyone with my stew recipe. But, I thought I would get my feet wet and contribute something.

So, I made a big pot of stew yesterday and have some re-heating now. Had a couple of Wiseacre Ananda IPA's earlier and now switched to a Coors original.

I bought a 3 lb chuck roast, trimmed it good and cut it into 3/4" to 1" pieces.

Here's the recipe. If I can figure out how to post an image from my PC or from my OneDrive account securely I'll show and bowl of it.

Beef Stew
2 lbs beef, cut into 1-inch pieces
3 Tbs vegetable oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 yellow onions, cut into 1-inch chunks
4 carrots sliced
3 large potatoes cut up
1 can corn
1 can blackeye peas
3 cups beef broth (plus a couple bouillon cubes)
1 Tbs freshly ground pepper
1 Tbs Cavenders
1 tsp Tony?s
2 Tbs Worcestershire
1 tsp soy sauce
1 Tbs hot sauce
1/2 tsp dried rosemary
1 Tbs oregano
1 tsp dried thyme
2 Tbs flour to thicken

Brown beef in oil. Remove meat and add onions and garlic to skillet - brown onions lightly until transparent.
Add meat, onions, garlic, fresh vegetables, beef stock and spices to pot. Add water to cover. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
Add peas and corn and additional spices as needed and simmer for additional 45 minutes. Mix flour in 1/2 cup of warm water and add to pot. Simmer 10 to 20 minutes more.

BrunswickDawg
02-15-2015, 10:42 AM
At the W Girl's request, I've gone Mardi Gras this weekend. Great pot of red beans and rice yesterday and had a King Cake overnighted from Haydel's in NOLA. Shrimp ?touff?e on the docket for tonight.