PDA

View Full Version : If you want Ray gone this year

msstate7
02-13-2015, 08:10 AM
You might wanna be pulling for OM right now. If they win against ark sat, they'll pretty much lock themselves in the tourney. If they whip us next Thursday in an empty hump, the pressure to fire Ray will be thru the roof.

Agree or disagree?

BeardoMSU
02-13-2015, 08:33 AM
Sell. OM isn't our measuring stick, least of all for basketball. We should fire RR because he's a shit coach, not because of what OM is doing.

HancockCountyDog
02-13-2015, 08:35 AM
You might wanna be pulling for OM right now. If they win against ark sat, they'll pretty much lock themselves in the tourney. If they whip us next Thursday in an empty hump, the pressure to fire Ray will be thru the roof.

Agree or disagree?

Personally I think Ray gets a fourth year regardless, but if the bears beat us by 20 in an empty hump, that could make things interesting.

Still the smart money is on him staying regardless.

klong-dog
02-13-2015, 08:35 AM
Unfortunately, I'm afraid that 4 out of 6 stretch may have been just what Ray and SS needed to buy another year.

Dawg61
02-13-2015, 08:36 AM
I want Ray gone this year cause it's the only option. How SS doesn't see or understand that is reason enough for him going too.

Coach34
02-13-2015, 08:43 AM
Ray is coming back regardless- so whatever happens? Happens

MadDawg
02-13-2015, 10:38 AM
Ray is coming back regardless- so whatever happens? Happens

This. Ray will be our coach next year. And most likely another couple of years - at minimum. Remember, this is year one.

Dawgface
02-13-2015, 10:39 AM
The only way RR gets fired is if he flips off the crowd after being booed. Not happening.

jumbo
02-13-2015, 10:39 AM
It will take a whole hell of a lot more than Ray getting canned to make me pull for OM

DancingRabbit
02-13-2015, 11:04 AM
It will take a whole hell of a lot more than Ray getting canned to make me pull for OM

Yep, pretty much my feelings.

The only time I pull for them is if their winning directly benefits the Bulldogs. For a hypothetical, if an LSU loss at OM this coming November would clinch the SECW for MSU then you're damn skippy I'd be waving red and blue pom poms.

dickiedawg
02-13-2015, 11:07 AM
This. Ray will be our coach next year. And most likely another couple of years - at minimum. Remember, this is year one.

Really hope this is a joke.

codeDawg
02-13-2015, 11:10 AM

HAHAHA. Good stuff.

bluelightstar
02-13-2015, 11:18 AM
Ray said it himself --- this is Year 1.

maroonmania
02-13-2015, 11:23 AM
Whatever, I'm just apathetic at this point. It is a sad state though that the school with the embarrassing "Tad Pad" IS now the dominant college basketball program in the state. Thank goodness we've made it to baseball season.

bluelightstar
02-13-2015, 11:25 AM
I literally can't believe our AD has watched this for 3 years and says, "yeah I think another year is justified."

civildawg
02-13-2015, 11:26 AM
maybe if people would not buy season tickets next year, could get him fired. It really is sad that this is our basketball program now and we are paying a guy 1 million dollars a year to do this.

Johnson85
02-13-2015, 11:31 AM

Agree or disagree?

Disagree. I do agree that in football, the coach's seat at UM or MSU can get much hotter based on how well the other team is doing, but basketball is just different than football and even baseball. Not sure if it's because basketball is a second tier sport for so many people in the South, or if it's because MSU was so much better than UM in basketball for so long, but I don't think the fact that UM is doing ok really adds any pressure to Ray, any more than LSU or Bama or Auburn doing ok would.

msugolf
02-13-2015, 11:52 AM
Whatever, I'm just apathetic at this point. It is a sad state though that the school with the embarrassing "Tad Pad" IS now the dominant college basketball program in the state. Thank goodness we've made it to baseball season.

I'm right there with you. I'm really close to the point of completely removing myself from MState basketball for the foreseeable future. Its a shame too. Basketball was my favorite growing up and although i played baseball, I don't really care or have the time to watch or keep up with it. Too many other things to do with kids and all as temps warm up (I can't even tell you one starter from our CWS team---Renfroe?). That was the plus of having a good basketball program, in January and February theres really not much going on because of weather so it kind of carried you over to the warmer months.

Political Hack
02-13-2015, 11:57 AM
theres a football season, football recruiting season, then baseball season, and then summer practice. That's the yearly calendar now guys.

Our administration has tanked the basketball program to unthinkable depths and it's not coming back any time soon. Apathy has set in and people don't even care anymore whether we win or lose.

fishwater99
02-13-2015, 12:11 PM

You really are Mad....

He might get next year, but he is a dead coach walking... Now way we keep him more than 4 without even a NIT appearance..

MadDawg
02-13-2015, 12:27 PM
You really are Mad....

He might get next year, but he is a dead coach walking... Now way we keep him more than 4 without even a NIT appearance..

I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that he gets us to the high-water mark of an NIT birth next year.

And yes, by default, I am mad.

Dog316
02-13-2015, 06:09 PM
The one sport I would never want to coach at State is basketball. Seems that the majority of posters think they know more about the game and the ability of the players than the head coach. Even winning won't stop the whining of the know it alls. Nothing short f perfection (as they understand perfection) will ever satisfy the. Even if a coach could win all the games, the whiners would complain about missing a free throw.

msugolf
02-13-2015, 06:41 PM
The one sport I would never want to coach at State is basketball. Seems that the majority of posters think they know more about the game and the ability of the players than the head coach. Even winning won't stop the whining of the know it alls. Nothing short f perfection (as they understand perfection) will ever satisfy the. Even if a coach could win all the games, the whiners would complain about missing a free throw.

I think you can rest easy there fella. I don't see "head basketball coach at MSU" in your future. That is unless you're Rick Ray, which in that case, get off your ass and start recruiting, coaching offense, and sure as hell do a better job than 11-36 SEC record in 3 years.

Dawg61
02-14-2015, 12:27 AM

Terrible post. Do better next time.

HSVDawg
02-14-2015, 08:16 AM
Honestly, this whole thread could have been copied and pasted from the archives of SPS in Fall of 2006. Will we ever learn from our mistakes?

Political Hack
02-14-2015, 08:39 AM
Honestly, this whole thread could have been copied and pasted from the archives of SPS in Fall of 2006. Will we ever learn from our mistakes?

we did in 2 of the 3. Strick inherited two guys he could turn the programs over to in totality. We need that guy in MBB still. It can happen with 2 good decisions... fire Ray. Hire the right guy.

Dawg61
02-14-2015, 01:10 PM
we did in 2 of the 3. Strick inherited two guys he could turn the programs over to in totality. We need that guy in MBB still. It can happen with 2 good decisions... fire Ray. Hire the right guy.

Yup and I bet Dan Mullen can have the right guy in 2 phone calls. Billy Donovan and Thad Matta probably can throw Urban Meijer or Dan Mullen a bone. Serious as can be. I'd rather Mullen hire us a BB coach than SS.

msstate7
02-14-2015, 01:16 PM
Yup and I bet Dan Mullen can have the right guy in 2 phone calls. Billy Donovan and Thad Matta probably can throw Urban Meijer or Dan Mullen a bone. Serious as can be. I'd rather Mullen hire us a BB coach than SS.

With Kennedy continuing to win, we could probably get Michael white

Dawg61
02-14-2015, 01:58 PM
With Kennedy continuing to win, we could probably get Michael white

He's on the list of candidates. LTech is 10-2 and 19-6 this year but I'd put several ahead of White on my wish list. Still he's way way better than what we currently have.

maroonmania
02-14-2015, 02:05 PM
Ray is the only HC we've hired lately that has not either already proven something as a head coach at another program OR was a top assistant at another HIGHLY successful program. Whether Mullen, Cohen, Stuedeman, Schafer, etc. Ray had never been a HC and was was an assistant at only moderately successful basketball programs (was he even the top assistant at Clemson? I'm not sure). Anyway, Stricklin broke the formula on the basketball hire and its biting him, and us, in the butt.

Dawg61
02-14-2015, 02:11 PM
Ray is the only HC we've hired lately that has not either already proven something as a head coach at another program OR was a top assistant at another HIGHLY successful program. Whether Mullen, Cohen, Stuedeman, Schafer, etc. Ray had never been a HC and was was an assistant at only moderately successful basketball programs (was he even the top assistant at Clemson? I'm not sure). Anyway, Stricklin broke the formula on the basketball hire and its biting him, and us, in the butt.

SS called Counzo Martin as a reference for Ray. Now all Tennessee fans hate Counzo Martin cause he bolted on UT like a bitch and then cried to the media saying he wasn't being treated fairly cause he couldn't use the private plane anytime he wanted. **** you Counzo for giving Ray a thumbs up.

shannondawg
02-14-2015, 02:20 PM
theres a football season, football recruiting season, then baseball season, and then summer practice. That's the yearly calendar now guys.

Our administration has tanked the basketball program to unthinkable depths and it's not coming back any time soon. Apathy has set in and people don't even care anymore whether we win or lose.

So sad, but so true. I have just switched my passion over to the girls team. I could care less what happens whether we win or lose , can watch with total indifference. My ole miss friends can't even get under my skin, as I make as many jokes about them as they do.