PDA

View Full Version : SDS Article on Our LB's + LL

Dawg Corps
02-12-2015, 11:56 AM
SDS actually has a pretty well-written piece on our current and former linebackers and how Leo Lewis may fit into Diaz's scheme. Check it out.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/mississippi-state-football/film-study-stealing-leo-lewis-mississippi-state-looking-like-linebacker-university/

HoopsCoach21
02-12-2015, 01:21 PM
Yeah that was actually a pretty good break down, especially considering it came from SDS. It's exciting to think about what Diaz can do next year with the Browns and Jung, but even more exciting when you think about the years following and maybe even this year when you add Green, JT Gray, Lewis, and even Dez Harris to the mix. Collins seemed to be really high on Harris' potential. Linebacker should be a position of strength for us for several years to come.

maroonmania
02-12-2015, 01:45 PM
They totally excluded the Gerri Green factor that will be included this coming year as well.

MSUDawg4Life
02-12-2015, 01:50 PM
Meh. I'm not impressed with the article. It's just about Leo and his potential impact. The author is unaware of the other LB's we'll have other than the Browns. Leo may not even be our best LB.

smootness
02-12-2015, 01:54 PM
Meh. I'm not impressed with the article. It's just about Leo and his potential impact. The author is unaware of the other LB's we'll have other than the Browns. Leo may not even be our best LB.

He's almost certainly our most talented, though. The author seemed to be specifically writing about Leo Lewis because he is a recruit.

Guys like Green, Harris, and Jung are just as unknown as Lewis.

MSUDawg4Life
02-12-2015, 01:59 PM
Certainly our most talented? That remains to be seen. I'm sure the coaches and most knowledgeable fans will be more interested in most productive.

Let's get him on campus first before proclaiming anybody to be the best or most of anything.

HoopsCoach21
02-12-2015, 02:03 PM
He's almost certainly our most talented, though. The author seemed to be specifically writing about Leo Lewis because he is a recruit.

Guys like Green, Harris, and Jung are just as unknown as Lewis.

This is my thinking. Lewis a very high profile recruit that people outside of the MSU circle have actually heard about. Although we as fans, and our coaches seem to be really high on some other players (Green, Jung, Gray, Harris), most people even if they follow college football really closely have no idea who some of those guys are. He even mentioned some current players that he's seen that are having success (B. Brown) and another that he really liked the potential of (R. Brown).

Signing day was a week ago yesterday. The guy wrote an article about how one of our biggest recruits could follow in the footsteps of some of our more recent players who have had a great deal of success at the same position. I thought it was pretty relevant and an interesting take by someone from the outside looking in.

smootness
02-12-2015, 02:05 PM
Certainly our most talented? That remains to be seen. I'm sure the coaches and most knowledgeable fans will be more interested in most productive.

Let's get him on campus first before proclaiming anybody to be the best or most of anything.

Fair enough. The bottom line, though, is that he wrote the article because he was looking at recruits and trying to identify a guy he felt would be a stud. He picked a State signee. This is good publicity and a good article. It doesn't matter whether or not he's aware of the other guys we have at LB. He mentioned the Browns because they've actually played and produced.

As you said, it's about who is productive, so why would a non-State guy spend much time talking about guys who haven't yet produced?

Political Hack
02-12-2015, 02:09 PM
and he doesn't even know anything about Green yet.

preachermatt83
02-12-2015, 02:13 PM
somebody post up that pic of Last years linebackers in the weight room where Gerri looked so huge. He is bigger than BMac.

War Machine Dawg
02-12-2015, 02:19 PM
Excellent find. I love articles like this that include gifs breaking down a play. Most people are visual, so being able to see what's being described is key.

HoopsDawg
02-12-2015, 02:29 PM
somebody post up that pic of Last years linebackers in the weight room where Gerri looked so huge. He is bigger than BMac.

I'm not too excited about the pass rushing ability of our DE's so I would like to see Richie Brown and Leo as our 2 MLB's and Green slide down to rush on 3rd downs.

My chart would be:

OLB: B. Brown/Z. Jackson
MLB: R. Brown/Leo Lewis
OLB: Gray/Jung

with Green at DE.

Liverpooldawg
02-12-2015, 02:30 PM
You can't proclaim anyone the most talented at anything till you have actually seen them on a COLLEGE field. There is "talent" and then there is real talent.

NCDawg
02-12-2015, 03:01 PM
I thought it was an excellent article. Think we'll be great at LB with Diaz as coach. The only weakness I fear is our CB and S's play. If we can get good play there, I think we can be extremely tough on defense.

smootness
02-12-2015, 03:05 PM
You can't proclaim anyone the most talented at anything till you have actually seen them on a COLLEGE field. There is "talent" and then there is real talent.

Ok ok ok. He is almost certainly our most hyped talent, which is going to cause him to be focused on more than others who haven't yet done anything on a college field, either.

Is that better?

msstate7
02-12-2015, 03:09 PM
Ok ok ok. He is almost certainly our most hyped talent, which is going to cause him to be focused on more than others who haven't yet done anything on a college field, either.

Is that better?

Stop proclaiming leo as the next mike singletary!!! Haha

Political Hack
02-12-2015, 03:11 PM
I'm not too excited about the pass rushing ability of our DE's so I would like to see Richie Brown and Leo as our 2 MLB's and Green slide down to rush on 3rd downs.

My chart would be:

OLB: B. Brown/Z. Jackson
MLB: R. Brown/Leo Lewis
OLB: Gray/Jung

with Green at DE.

I keep waiting for Torrey Dale to become a monster. It's now or never for him IMO. Ryan Brown is going to be good and AJ can help off the edge some too. I agree we're going to have to dial up pressure from the LB corps to get consistent havoc in the backfield though.

War Machine Dawg
02-12-2015, 03:33 PM
I thought it was an excellent article. Think we'll be great at LB with Diaz as coach. The only weakness I fear is our S play. If we can get good play there, I think we can be extremely tough on defense.

FIFY

We'll be just fine at CB so long as Calhoun & Redmond stay healthy. Redmond could be a potential First Round Draft Pick and Calhoun is likely to go in the first 3 rounds himself. And Jiles can be a very good nickel CB for us if he can stop channeling Tobias Smith.

Market's injury, Evans lack of talent, and inexperience at S are much bigger concerns than CB. I'm really anxious for spring practice to get here so we can get some info on Cleveland's transition to S. I think that kid can be a big time player for us.

Political Hack
02-12-2015, 03:39 PM
FIFY

We'll be just fine at CB so long as Calhoun & Redmond stay healthy. Redmond could be a potential First Round Draft Pick and Calhoun is likely to go in the first 3 rounds himself.

You're not allowed to say that.***

maroonmania
02-12-2015, 04:31 PM
FIFY

We'll be just fine at CB so long as Calhoun & Redmond stay healthy. Redmond could be a potential First Round Draft Pick and Calhoun is likely to go in the first 3 rounds himself. And Jiles can be a very good nickel CB for us if he can stop channeling Tobias Smith.

Market's injury, Evans lack of talent, and inexperience at S are much bigger concerns than CB. I'm really anxious for spring practice to get here so we can get some info on Cleveland's transition to S. I think that kid can be a big time player for us.

I agree, in fact I thought if we could have gotten a big time JUCO trasfer at Safety that would have answered even a much bigger need that trying to nab a JUCO DT.

Leroy Jenkins
02-12-2015, 06:23 PM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bs9c3O3CQAA0r_x.jpg:large

preachermatt83
02-12-2015, 08:01 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bs9c3O3CQAA0r_x.jpg:large

thanks.. I wanted to prove to someone how big Gerri really was.