PDA

View Full Version : Missing juco dt's

msstate7
02-12-2015, 08:32 AM
Will this turn out to be a good thing? I think by missing on the juco guys, we'll most likely see moton or Adams early or maybe both. With Dak back our offense should be outstanding so I like the idea of getting one or both of these guys valuable playing time early. Which one do you think cracks the rotation or both?

Also I think it's good for recruiting purposes if they play early.

Johnson85
02-12-2015, 08:55 AM
Will this turn out to be a good thing? I think by missing on the juco guys, we'll most likely see moton or Adams early or maybe both. With Dak back our offense should be outstanding so I like the idea of getting one or both of these guys valuable playing time early. Which one do you think cracks the rotation or both?

Also I think it's good for recruiting purposes if they play early.

Depends on the quality of the DT we missed on. I'll always want to take any studs we can get and to fill any glaring holes (and doing those two things will often get you enough JUCO's that it helps avoiding having to process a lot of players), but after that, I'd just as soon roll the dice with younger players. Even with somebody like Slay, we only got one year of special teams and one year of good CB play (which we somehow managed to waste). If it's somebody that we're just using to provide a little depth (which is what I understand Miggins was expected to be), then I'd rather our younger guys get that playing time if we havea serviceable option, which I think we do.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-12-2015, 08:56 AM
Not getting Swain was a miss simply bc he would be here for spring. I don't consider Miggins a miss bc we got Moton. Miggins became a luxury then not a must have. I think Adams is the favorite to play but wouldn't surprise me if both played.

Coach34
02-12-2015, 09:03 AM
Moton is gonna RS- I'd say probably 80% chance we RS Adams

we have Jones and Adams starting...backed up by Nick James and Corey Thomas. We also RS'ed another guy that I can't remember his name. That's 5 DT's right there- and we only use 2 at a time

Ifyouonlyknew
02-12-2015, 09:05 AM
It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Adams play.

msstate7
02-12-2015, 09:15 AM
Moton is gonna RS- I'd say probably 80% chance we RS Adams

we have Jones and Adams starting...backed up by Nick James and Corey Thomas. We also RS'ed another guy that I can't remember his name. That's 5 DT's right there- and we only use 2 at a time

Hoyett (sp?)

Coach34
02-12-2015, 09:19 AM
Yeah- Hoyett

bulldawg28
02-12-2015, 09:40 AM
Is the guy from Clinton a DE or DT?

msstate7
02-12-2015, 09:41 AM
Is the guy from Clinton a DE or DT?

Pretty sure Harris is a de

Ifyouonlyknew
02-12-2015, 09:48 AM
Grant Harris is a DE. He prolly was the best looking freshman DL in practice last year out of the 3. Thomas has the higher ceiling but Harris really surprised.

justwin
02-12-2015, 11:46 AM
Don't forget about Quay Evans coming back @ DT.

I kid...I kid..

Seriously, Fletcher Adams will definitely play this year so he can play 2 years with big bro. Of the other 4 freshman DL, I look for Keith Joseph to possibly play, if any, as it'll depend on how the 3rd DE progresses. Moton, Mullins, Jones are all definite redshirts.

We have 6 DEs this year & 5 DTs so plenty of bodies. What's crazy is that there is only one senior in Ryan Brown & I'm not convinced that Chris Jones declares so all will return.

DE: Ryan Brown (SR), AJ (JR), Will Coleman (JR), Calvin (JR), Grant Harris (FR), Dale (JR)
DT: Jones (JR), N. Adams (JR), Thomas (FR), James (JR), Hoyett (FR)

engie
02-12-2015, 12:00 PM
I'm not counting on much from Hoyett at this point, although those guys have a tendency to prove me wrong 2-3 years down the road.

I think Jones and Adams are legit and trustworthy. I think Thomas will become a bigtime player for us. James is the wildcard that IMO will define whether or not Moton/Adams redshirt IMO. Gotta have 4 legit DTs, and I'd prefer 5...

mic
02-12-2015, 12:14 PM
Don't forget about Quay Evans coming back @ DT.

I kid...I kid..

Seriously, Fletcher Adams will definitely play this year so he can play 2 years with big bro. Of the other 4 freshman DL, I look for Keith Joseph to possibly play, if any, as it'll depend on how the 3rd DE progresses. Moton, Mullins, Jones are all definite redshirts.

We have 6 DEs this year & 5 DTs so plenty of bodies. What's crazy is that there is only one senior in Ryan Brown & I'm not convinced that Chris Jones declares so all will return.

DE: Ryan Brown (SR), AJ (JR), Will Coleman (JR), Calvin (JR), Grant Harris (FR), Dale (JR)
DT: Jones (JR), N. Adams (JR), Thomas (FR), James (JR), Hoyett (FR)

Torrey Dale for sure passes the eye test at DE.. Hopefully it clicks for him as it did for Preston...

HoopsDawg
02-12-2015, 12:18 PM
I'm not counting on much from Hoyett at this point, although those guys have a tendency to prove me wrong 2-3 years down the road.

I think Jones and Adams are legit and trustworthy. I think Thomas will become a bigtime player for us. James is the wildcard that IMO will define whether or not Moton/Adams redshirt IMO. Gotta have 4 legit DTs, and I'd prefer 5...

That's where I'm at. We need 5 DT's especially since James is one of the Top 4. So the competition for #5 is between Hoyett, Fletcher Adams and Moton. If either of the true freshman prove better than Hoyett (a distinct possibility) they will have to play.

smootness
02-12-2015, 12:37 PM
I'd be pretty surprised if Adams redshirts. Assuming Jones leaves after this year, that would leave Adams and James as seniors (and it's kind of hard to count on James more than a year out) and very little experience behind them. I would think the coaches want to get some more experience there.

I think Peters, Lewis, and Adams will all play as freshmen. I think Peters plays a lot and probably ends up starting, and I think Lewis will play more than some think, too. Our top 4 LBs are pretty set (Browns, Green, Jung), but after that, it's open.

Coach34
02-12-2015, 01:06 PM
I think our staff would rather have a player RS than get a very limited amount of snaps. If We'll just have to see

maroonmania
02-12-2015, 01:12 PM
That's where I'm at. We need 5 DT's especially since James is one of the Top 4. So the competition for #5 is between Hoyett, Fletcher Adams and Moton. If either of the true freshman prove better than Hoyett (a distinct possibility) they will have to play.

I definitely believe one of the two between Adams and Moton will play some UNLESS Grant Harris is willing and able play some DT as well.

smootness
02-12-2015, 01:19 PM
NM

smootness
02-12-2015, 01:20 PM
I think our staff would rather have a player RS than get a very limited amount of snaps. If We'll just have to see

This is undoubtedly true, but there are other factors that play into the decision as well. It's not simply a 'must play x number of snaps in order to avoid redshirt' deal.

They've shown they will play certain guys if they think they won't be here 5 years anyway or if they want experience at a certain position going forward. They burned Dee Arrington's redshirt despite him playing very little his freshman year because they knew safety would be thin the following year. They burned Shumpert's despite him playing very little, especially the first half of the season, because they knew he would be the #2 guy this year.

I'm sure what guys are told while being recruited factors in as well. Certain recruits may tell the coach during their recruitment that they don't want to redshirt. It also might make it more difficult to land guys like Peters, Lewis, and Adams in the future if they're redshirted.

You may be right that Adams redshirts, but I would be very surprised by it.

Coach34
02-12-2015, 02:01 PM
Moton is not ready to play SEC football as a true freshman

Bothrops
02-12-2015, 03:28 PM
I think Fletcher may play, he brings a quickness and aggressiveness to the inside that we simply do not have.