PDA

View Full Version : Winston

msstate7
02-12-2015, 08:24 AM
Projected as the #1 overall pick by the bucs. Thoughts?

As a saints fan, I don't like it. I think Winston is gonna be a great pro

Barking 13
02-12-2015, 08:35 AM

As a saints fan, I don't like it. I think Winston is still gonna be a thug

FIFY

starkvegasdawg
02-12-2015, 08:36 AM
Don't worry. He'll screw up again and be released sooner rather than later. He's already a douchebag. He's about to be an extremely rich douchebag and that never ends up well.

Tbonewannabe
02-12-2015, 08:49 AM
Even without all the criminal stuff, he would argue with jimbo on the sideline. Also the whole gambling thing. He seems to be an extremely entitled prick. JFF to the extreme.

msstate7
02-12-2015, 08:51 AM
Even without all the criminal stuff, he would argue with jimbo on the sideline. Also the whole gambling thing. He seems to be an extremely entitled prick. JFF to the extreme.

Yeah maybe, but winston's game translates 1000 times better to the pro game than manziel's

thf24
02-12-2015, 08:56 AM
Winston will be great if he's given a handler to keep him out of trouble and he cooperates. That's his biggest and really only obstacle once he's on a team.

Coach34
02-12-2015, 09:00 AM
Winston is certainly more suited for the pro game than Manziel. Only question is how long can he stay out of trouble?

Political Hack
02-12-2015, 09:00 AM
hahahaha. This kid is Ryan Leaf times 100.

DownwardDawg
02-12-2015, 09:09 AM
Don't worry. He'll screw up again and be released sooner rather than later. He's already a douchebag. He's about to be an extremely rich douchebag and that never ends up well.

^^^This^^^^
He will disappear in a few years after we get sick of him on the news.

DownwardDawg
02-12-2015, 09:11 AM
Yeah maybe, but winston's game translates 1000 times better to the pro game than manziel's

I don't think anyone with any football IQ would argue that. He has the tools. He won't amount to shit though.

ShotgunDawg
02-12-2015, 09:13 AM
You have to have an elite QB to win the playoffs. I'd rather take a chance on a kid that I know can play but may end up in jail, vs a kid that I don't know can play.

Original48
02-12-2015, 09:15 AM
My sentiments exactly.

Dawg61
02-12-2015, 10:09 AM
Winston will be great if he's given a handler to keep him out of trouble and he cooperates. That's his biggest and really only obstacle once he's on a team.

Bucs already have Derrick Brooks lined up for that role. With Brooks and Lovie Smith watching Winston it could work.

quickstrike2
02-12-2015, 10:31 AM
He has the tools to be a no brainer #1 pick, but then there is everything else. Manziel has no potential NFL talent and he's an ass hat off the field, worst possible scenario for a QB. I like Winston's skill set over Mariota, but it would be scary to see what he would do with millions of dollars.

engie
02-12-2015, 10:33 AM
Who was here arguing that he wasn't an NFL QB a couple of weeks ago?

We'll see what he is or isn't after he inevitably goes really early in the first round of the draft...

Political Hack
02-12-2015, 11:26 AM
Who was here arguing that he wasn't an NFL QB a couple of weeks ago?

We'll see what he is or isn't after he inevitably goes really early in the first round of the draft...

I can understand the risk and why a team would take it... and I think he's got a chance to be a good QB in the NFL, but he's not a franchise type guy like Brady or Manning or Favre or Brees or Wilson or Ryan.

DownwardDawg
02-12-2015, 12:14 PM
He has the tools to be a no brainer #1 pick, but then there is everything else. Manziel has no potential NFL talent and he's an ass hat off the field, worst possible scenario for a QB. I like Winston's skill set over Mariota, but it would be scary to see what he would do with millions of dollars.

I still can't believe anybody actually drafted Manziel. These GM's suck as leaders. They may "think" they know football (and many of them do), but some of them aren't leadership material. They're too easily influenced.

PMDawg
02-12-2015, 12:15 PM
I can understand the risk and why a team would take it... and I think he's got a chance to be a good QB in the NFL, but he's not a franchise type guy like Brady or Manning or Favre or Brees or Wilson or Ryan.

He has as much talent as any of those guys. He's just a head case. If I had to bet, I would bet on him getting in trouble too much to ever amount to much. there are plenty of people with enough talent to make it who never do. this guy gets my vote for being one of those. But talent is not in question.

DownwardDawg
02-12-2015, 12:37 PM
He has as much talent as any of those guys. He's just a head case. If I had to bet, I would bet on him getting in trouble too much to ever amount to much. there are plenty of people with enough talent to make it who never do. this guy gets my vote for being one of those. But talent is not in question.

This thread makes me think of Quay Evens. I can't believe I typed his name because I was sick of hearing about him but what a waste of talent. Would have been a millionaire.

msstate7
02-12-2015, 12:43 PM
This thread makes me think of Quay Evens. I can't believe I typed his name because I was sick of hearing about him but what a waste of talent. Would have been a millionaire.

Not a good comparison imo. Winston never left anything to be desired on the field imo. Sure Winston had bad games, but he played hard and was prepared. Quay was from all accounts lazy on the field and lazy in preparation.

mcain31
02-12-2015, 12:49 PM
Derrick Brooks and Winston's have grown close. If the Bucs do draft Winston, Brooks has offered Winston the chance to live with him and his family. If I were drafting for the Bucs, I'd definitely take Winston especially if he agrees to live with Brooks

Jack Lambert
02-12-2015, 01:41 PM
He will become the face of that team.

dawgs
02-12-2015, 02:39 PM

As a saints fan, I don't like it. I think Winston is gonna be a great pro

if i'm a saints fan, i love it. he'll screw up off the field and/or be a cancer on the field/in the lockerroom.

dawgs
02-12-2015, 02:40 PM

this. leaf had all the physical tools and was great in college, but he didn't have the head.

dawgs
02-12-2015, 02:43 PM
Not a good comparison imo. Winston never left anything to be desired on the field imo. Sure Winston had bad games, but he played hard and was prepared. Quay was from all accounts lazy on the field and lazy in preparation.

so prepared on the field that he was among the national leaders in INTs this season despite missing a game.

msstate7
02-12-2015, 02:49 PM
so prepared on the field that he was among the national leaders in INTs this season despite missing a game.

Winston lost 1 game as a college qb. He won a heisman and a NC. If he did that and wasn't even preparing for games, then he's supremely talented. So talented, you can't pass him up with the #1 pick

dawgs
02-12-2015, 02:56 PM
Winston lost 1 game as a college qb. He won a heisman and a NC. If he did that and wasn't even preparing for games, then he's supremely talented. So talented, you can't pass him up with the #1 pick

i'm sure the rest of the roster full of 4* and 5* recruits had nothing to do with those Ws. f$u played in a weak conference both seasons, florida was down both seasons out of conference, ND was vastly overrated when they played each other this year. sure on the surface 28-1 or whatever his record ended up is impressive, but it's not like he should have lost most of those games. was f$u the underdog in any game except the oregon game this year?

also, ryan leaf won the pac 12 with wazzou and went to a rose bowl with a 10-1 record his last season. russell won a ton of games at lsu - pretty sure they won 10+ games every year he was the QB.

headcases that get drafted high tend to get drafted because they were successful college QBs and won a bunch of games. however, the higher up the chain you go, the more likely your flaws will be exposed.

Political Hack
02-12-2015, 03:04 PM
there's no denying that he's got supremely high top end potential, but anyone saying that he doesn't have "HIGH POTENTIAL RISK FOR BEING A TOTAL BUST" printed across his forehead is kidding themselves.

msstate7
02-12-2015, 03:06 PM
there's no denying that he's got supremely high top end potential, but anyone saying that he doesn't have "HIGH POTENTIAL RISK FOR BEING A TOTAL BUST" printed across his forehead is kidding themselves.

He's also got high potential for greatness.

Political Hack
02-12-2015, 03:11 PM
He's also got high potential for greatness.

Agree. Probably be the greatest bust of all time.

jumbo
02-12-2015, 03:34 PM
if we are simply talking about on the field performance/potential, then absolutely I'd take Winston #1 and light years before Mariotta. The probem is you'll have to weed through all the bullshit and baggage that comes along with him to see if he's worth it.

Will he be Vince Young 2.0? All the talent in the world but nobody in the world knows what's going on in his head?

Or will he be the next Ben Roethlisberger? put off the field shit behind him and be a very very good NFL player?

Political Hack
02-12-2015, 03:38 PM
To be fair, Vince Young was a talented college QB but a lot of people knew it wouldn't translate to the NFL. part of it was certainly mental, but his throwing mechanics and other issues were concerns too.

Dawg61
02-12-2015, 04:19 PM
Winston throws 40 yard darts while rolling out and off one leg. His maturity isn't NFL ready but his arm most certainly is. He has a golden arm. Bucs are going to have him live with Derrick Brooks. Mr. Buccaneer himself. It's a worthy #1 pick imo.

jumbo
02-12-2015, 04:44 PM
To be fair, Vince Young was a talented college QB but a lot of people knew it wouldn't translate to the NFL. part of it was certainly mental, but his throwing mechanics and other issues were concerns too.

Agreed, and I'm not making the comparison based on how they play. I just think they are a similar overall situation. Both incredibly talented, just not mentally.

whatever
02-12-2015, 05:00 PM
Funny how the media has shaped the public perception of Winston to be that "he's a thug that won't be able to stay out of jail."

The guy has never been arrested, has no history of drugs or alcohol, and was a really good student. Other than the rape allegation, he's just an immature 12 year old that has been in bb gun fights, drank soda out of ketchup cups at Burger King, and jokingly said FHRITP to get attention in the student union. He's more of a temperamental, childish, spoiled little kid that attempts to get away with petty things to get attention moreso than a "thug" that's not going to be able to stay out of jail.

I also wouldn't compare him to Manziel at all. Manziel seems to me like a wannabe gangster that wants to act like a badass all the time, that stays out at clubs all night, might get in a fight or brandish a gun (a Chad Kelly type if you will), and generally doesn't work hard to learn an NFL system.

Manziel plays street ball and came from a more simplistic spread offense, whereas Winston is a pocket guy that comes from a pro style offense that asks the QB to make tons more protection changes, checks, and coverage reads than what Manziel did in college.

dawgs
02-12-2015, 05:07 PM
Wow, so you decline to call winston a "thug" because he only got accused, not arrested, for rape (whether innocent or not, the police botched the investigation, purposefully or not is the question. And botching it is a disservice to winston if he is innocent) and yelled inappropriate stuff in the union and shot his bb gun in public - Nevermind you forgot about shoplifting crab legs and getting in yelling matches with the coach on the sidelines. Yet manziel is a thug because he parties and "might get in a fight and brandish a gun"? There's a lot more kids that are good people that just like to party than there are good kids that end up wrongly accused of rape and shoplift. Quite the stretch to say that partying means you are gonna get in fights and pull guns.

Dawgcentral
02-12-2015, 07:39 PM
Winston is an idiot. Sure he's a great athlete. But he's lead by what he wants to do, not what he should do. It's going to be entertaining until he screws up the lives of other people. Or ends them.

It'll be interesting to see how people define success a few years into his career.

Tbonewannabe
02-12-2015, 10:08 PM

I was referring more to JFF already going to rehab and partying during the season.

Barking 13
02-13-2015, 10:51 AM
He scrong...