PDA

View Full Version : Mark fox

msstate7
02-11-2015, 09:00 PM
Does he give you a little hope for ray? Fox had losing records 3 of his first 4 years then seemingly turned the corner last season. He now has georgia poised to be in the tourney.

bluelightstar
02-11-2015, 09:02 PM
Mark Fox was 123-43 before coming to Georgia. He had a record to suggest he knew what he was doing -- kind of like how John Cohen's track record showed that our record didn't tell the story of his competence. Ray looks inept all around.

msstate7
02-11-2015, 09:06 PM
Mark Fox was 123-43 before coming to Georgia. He had a record to suggest he knew what he was doing -- kind of like how John Cohen's track record showed that our record didn't tell the story of his competence. Ray looks inept all around.

So a successful coach had trouble winning in the sec at first. Stands to reason it would take ray time too then.

I'm certainly not sold on ray. If you offered me john Brady right now, I'd trade. I just think SS wants to stick with ray so I'm hoping (fingers crossed) something clicks with ray

bluelightstar
02-11-2015, 09:08 PM
So a successful coach had trouble winning in the sec at first. Stands to reason it would take ray time too then.

I'm certainly not sold on ray. If you offered me john Brady right now, I'd trade. I just think SS wants to stick with ray so I'm hoping (fingers crossed) something clicks with ray

There's NO reason to think that something will click with Ray though; that wasn't the case with Mark Fox.

cheewgumm
02-12-2015, 01:44 AM
I have not watched a lot , or any, SEC basketball in a couple of years. A few things I've noticed on my somewhat return this year...

1) nobody can shoot
2) nobody can defend
The post very good
3) specifically we
Can't shoot
4) we aee athletic

My strategy given these facts, if I were Ray would be to pound it down low and rely on our athletes to try and score by posting
Someone up. Every time anyone played us man I'd make every shot someone posting up.

That's the only way o can see us winning. He has to make
Our team a big east team circa 1989ish.

Irondawg
02-12-2015, 09:00 AM
You could watch Fox those first few years and see things to like. They actually ran a defense offense, they just couldn't shoot very well despite getting good looks most of the time. Defense was a little sketchy but reason for hope.

If we looked like Fox's early teams on offense I wouldn't be as concerned.

codeDawg
02-12-2015, 09:02 AM
What do you think the most likely outcome of this is? Sure, he could get a few players and maybe this works out in 2-3 years, but why dick around with a guy that appears to be incompetent just to see if he can figure it out? Miracles do happen, but do you want to it around and wait on one?

Johnson85
02-12-2015, 09:07 AM

THe flip side of that argument is that Fox came in and you could immediately see some changes in the way they played to suggest he knew what he was doing, he had success previously, and it still took him 4 years. How many years would it take for somebody like Ray, who doesn't have the prior success and who hasn't been able to impact the product on the floor much other than effort?

CottonDog
02-12-2015, 09:10 AM
Fox also came in and got a program changer in KCP. Who is Ray's big time guy? Ready?

msstate7
02-12-2015, 09:21 AM
Fox also came in and got a program changer in KCP. Who is Ray's big time guy? Ready?

Fox was 15-17 both years with KCP.

Dawg61
02-12-2015, 10:24 AM
Fox looked way too smart for his players the first couple of years. I think he's narrowed that gap some. I see zero similarities between Fox and Ray. You just love playing Devils Advocate msstate7.

msstate7
02-12-2015, 10:28 AM
Fox looked way too smart for his players the first couple of years. I think he's narrowed that gap some. I see zero similarities between Fox and Ray. You just love playing Devils Advocate msstate7.
Nah man, I go with the crowd haha

quickstrike2
02-12-2015, 10:42 AM
Not really. It's not all Ray's fault. You ask a man to walk into a situation where the program is in complete disarray, he has no head coaching experience, no experience rebuilding a program, no ties to the area or conference, and has to basically wing it in recruiting, what can really be expected? I wanted Ray gone yesterday, but this is a Scott gut feeling issue in my opinion, and I think Ray has done the best of his ability. The best just isn't very good.

msugolf
02-12-2015, 10:57 AM
The gist of it is we hired an unproven, inexperienced guy to completely rebuild our program while also giving him the luxury of learning how to be a head coach at the same time. That should never happen at a power conference school. Especially one that's been to a final 4 and had moderate success within the last 15 years.Leave that for the SunBelt and MEAC schools. Ray should've been bringing in talent that could challenge for starting positions instead of developmental players. We've gotten very little production from any of his recruiting classes going on 3 years now, other than Ready. All we are left with is a bunch of raw, might develop in 2-3 year type of players. And because of that, the next couple of years are going to suffer tremendously as well.

One thing that could've helped was allowing Jalen Steele to redshirt like he wanted to but Ray wouldn't allow it because he said he needed the scholly for a signee. Jalen would be a senior on this year's team and a much needed scorer too. Just another sign of mis-management.

engie
02-12-2015, 10:59 AM
Ben Jacobson is 23-2 now and just outside the top 10. At Northern Iowa. Where he's won at a much higher clip than Greg McDermott ever did and has already taken them to the sweet 16.

Brad Underwood is 20-3 now at Stephen F Austin and ranked in the top 30. After going 32-3 last year and making the round of 32 in his first year as head coach.

Eustachy is 20-4.

Prohm is 19-4 and ranked just outside the top 30.

Bryce Drew is 19-4 and ranked about #40.

Archie Miller is 18-5.

Chris Jans is 16-5 in his first year as HC at Bowling Green after being primary assistant under Gregg Marshall for years and dominating JUCO as a HC. BG had won 14, 14, 16, 13, 12 in the 5 yrs before his arrival.

I think we've got to give Ray year 4. But here are some names to keep an eye on. If we could secure a deal with any of these 6 behind the scenes, I think I'd go ahead and do it. But I don't want to have an open coaching search while being perceived as a tough place to win with weak fan support that fires coaches too quickly, and I'm afraid that perception may be there if we were to let Ray go after year 3.

Dawg61
02-12-2015, 11:08 AM
Good list. Anyone from the Gonzaga tree I'd like added too. If Gonzaga can create twenty years of success in nowhere, Washington we can do it in Mississippi. They sign great shooters, international shooters and have a system in place that continues to develop the players into better shooters than when they arrived. I want Gonzaga 2.0. They are ranked #2 btw.

dawgs
02-12-2015, 11:10 AM
Ben Jacobson is 23-2 now and just outside the top 10. At Northern Iowa. Where he's won at a much higher clip than Greg McDermott ever did and has already taken them to the sweet 16.

Brad Underwood is 20-3 now at Stephen F Austin and ranked in the top 30. After going 32-3 last year and making the round of 32 in his first year as head coach.

Eustachy is 20-4.

Archie Miller is 18-5.

Chris Jans is 16-5 in his first year as HC at Bowling Green after being primary assistant under Gregg Marshall for years and dominating JUCO as a HC. BG had won 14, 14, 16, 13, 12 in the 5 yrs before his arrival.

I think we've got to give Ray year 4. But here are some names to keep an eye on. If we could secure a deal with any of these 6 behind the scenes, I think I'd go ahead and do it. But I don't want to have an open coaching search while being perceived as a tough place to win with weak fan support that fires coaches too quickly, and I'm afraid that perception may be there if we were to let Ray go after year 3.

I'd be concerned about that perception if ray had done anything worth celebrating, but he hasn't. I think every coach in the country would understand why they got fired if the started their tenure at a P5 program with 3 straight losing seasons.

msstate7
02-12-2015, 12:45 PM

Eustachy is 20-4.

Archie Miller is 18-5.

Out of that list, give me eustachy. He's won everywhere including in our state.

Eric Nies Grind Time
02-12-2015, 12:49 PM
Out of that list, give me eustachy. He's won everywhere including in our state.

How many more years is Eustachy interested in coaching? He will be 60 soon. And I know a lot of people are saying Ray is getting a 4th year...but Jesus...how can Stricklin possibly justify it? The little competent mini run we had? We have looked flat out awful for most of this season.

msstate7
02-12-2015, 12:53 PM
How many more years is Eustachy interested in coaching? He will be 60 soon. And I know a lot of people are saying Ray is getting a 4th year...but Jesus...how can Stricklin possibly justify it? The little competent mini run we had? We have looked flat out awful for most of this season.

No idea how long eustachy plans to coach. If he gave us 6-8 years, we'd be in good shape to make the next hire imo. Well assuming we aren't on probation

Eric Nies Grind Time
02-12-2015, 12:56 PM
Yeah...we obviously need a guy who is willing to break the rules. I would be fine with Eustachy.

engie
02-12-2015, 01:53 PM
Good list. Anyone from the Gonzaga tree I'd like added too. If Gonzaga can create twenty years of success in nowhere, Washington we can do it in Mississippi. They sign great shooters, international shooters and have a system in place that continues to develop the players into better shooters than when they arrived. I want Gonzaga 2.0. They are ranked #2 btw.

I've looked into the Gonzaga tree before and there are just not alot of viable candidates with head coaching experience...
- Tommy Lloyd is a 15 yr career Mark Few assistant.
- Donny Daniels has been there since 2010 and has racked up a pretty impressive assistant coaching resume, but has never left the west coast in spite of being born in New Orleans. He took over for Leon Rice.
- Rice left in 2010 to be head coach at Boise St, where he's been decent. But the strike against him is having never left the pacific northwest.
- Brian Michaelson is in his second year there. Don't know anything about him, but he's very young. He took over for Ray Giacoletti.
- Giacoletti left in 2013 to be head coach at Drake, where he's struggled. He took over for Bill Grier.
- Grier left in 2007 to be head coach at San Diego, where he's struggled.

TimberBeast
02-12-2015, 02:44 PM
But I don't want to have an open coaching search while being perceived as a tough place to win with weak fan support that fires coaches too quickly, and I'm afraid that perception may be there if we were to let Ray go after year 3.

Funny, we didn't have any of those perceptions before we fired our last coach. If I were a decently high profile coach looking for a job I would be much more concerned with how our administration and much of our fanbase treated Stans than I would Ray.

engie
02-12-2015, 02:47 PM
Funny, we didn't have any of those perceptions before we fired our last coach. If I were a decently high profile coach looking for a job I would be much more concerned with how our administration and much of our fanbase treated Stans than I would Ray.

Except we didn't Fire our last coach...
Who was also the second longest tenured power 6 coach to fail to see the round of 16 in the past 25 years...

MadDawg
02-12-2015, 03:01 PM
Except we didn't Fire our last coach...
Who was also the second longest tenured power 6 coach to fail to see the round of 16 in the past 25 years...

How long do you think it will take to get back to that unacceptable level? It's been 3 years, so 4 years? 5 years? 10 years? What do you think?

msstate7
02-12-2015, 03:04 PM
How long do you think it will take to get back to that unacceptable level? It's been 3 years, so 4 years? 5 years? 10 years? What do you think?

I don't know if ray will ever get us to that level. If eustachy was our coach, 2 years tops

Dawg61
02-12-2015, 03:19 PM
I don't know if ray will ever get us to that level. If eustachy was our coach, 2 years tops

7 are you familiar with Eustachy's baggage? Iowa State baggage?

msstate7
02-12-2015, 03:29 PM
7 are you familiar with Eustachy's baggage? Iowa State baggage?

Yeah, I don't think we will hire him. I'm just saying he's a great coach and I wish we would hire him

engie
02-12-2015, 03:48 PM

Not good enough is not good enough. The fact that it's gotten worse is immaterial. It doesn't make the past better. Just makes the present worse. We have been through this a half dozen times though -- and we'll probably go through it many more.

I'm not sorry for being unsatisfied with one year at better than 9-7 in a terrible SEC in the last half of the tenure of the previous coach -- providing the one at-large birth in the NCAAs in those 7 years. And no amount of current suckitude is going to make that level any more acceptable. I have seen better and experienced better far too recently. Both under the previous coach and the guy before him.

And both of those situations were when we were competing with Troy and South Alabama money-wise. A very far cry from the financial powerhouse that we will be the next time we go through a coaching search.

Dawg61
02-12-2015, 03:53 PM
Yeah, I don't think we will hire him. I'm just saying he's a great coach and I wish we would hire him

Shane Power transfered away from him to come to us. Then he's photographed, only a few hours after getting his ass beat by Missouri, kissing Mizzou co-eds and getting shitfaced with Mizzou frat boys. The week before he had done the same exact thing at KSU which also was a blowout loss. Then Eustachy admits himself for alcoholism and resigns shortly thereafter. Sorry but for 2 mill a year Eustachy is eliminated imo. If Keenum & Strick won't even consider Larry Brown and Scott Drew, Eustachy has no shot.

engie
02-12-2015, 03:58 PM

Of the ones I listed, Eustachy is probably my last choice. I didn't like the idea of him. But he just keeps winning.

Iowa St was a long time ago. And he's won his way back up through the ranks to now be in line for another major college job. His nose has been clean, at least publicly, for over a decade now. Plus, he's got 14 years recruiting inside of Mississippi. None of the other guys I listed have ever recruited the southeast much if at all... Underwood at SFAustin is probably the closest thing. That said, I'm not sure that Mississippi ties are all that important to us, but knowledge of the southeast would be a big deal. If they don't have southeastern ties, they need to be locked in with AAU or hire a couple people that are...

msstate7
02-12-2015, 04:00 PM
Shane Power transfered away from him to come to us. Then he's photographed, only a few hours after getting his ass beat by Missouri, kissing Mizzou co-eds and getting shitfaced with Mizzou frat boys. The week before he had done the same exact thing at KSU which also was a blowout loss. Then Eustachy admits himself for alcoholism and resigns shortly thereafter. Sorry but for 2 mill a year Eustachy is eliminated imo. If Keenum & Strick won't even consider Larry Brown and Scott Drew, Eustachy has no shot.

He probably didn't realize stuff like that was frowned upon. If he would've known, I'm sure he wouldn't have done it***

If you ask me who I want to role model our basketball players, it wouldn't be eustachy. If you ask me who I want to coach them, it would be eustachy. Like I said before though, I realize it won't be him.

Dawg61
02-12-2015, 04:02 PM
He probably didn't realize stuff like that was frowned upon. If he would've known, I'm sure he wouldn't have done it***

If you ask me who I want to role model our basketball players, it wouldn't be eustachy. If you ask me who I want to coach them, it would be eustachy. Like I said before though, I realize it won't be him.

Alright if we're going the too old too drunk route I want Bobby Knight.

msstate7
02-12-2015, 04:05 PM
Alright if we're going the too old too drunk route I want Bobby Knight.

Except eustachy still appears to be on top of his game. Csu is 20-4 this year.

shannondawg
02-12-2015, 04:20 PM
Hell, probation would be better than what we got now.

quickstrike2
02-12-2015, 04:28 PM
Hell, probation would be better than what we got now.

Lol that's rich.