PDA

View Full Version : MSU had the 6th best offense in SEC history, so the NCAA responded accordingly

FlabLoser
02-11-2015, 06:43 PM
Proposal to change Illegal Man Downfield rule from 3 yards to 1, because option offenses are just too good.

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=NCAA-committee-proposes-illegal-man-downfield-rule-adjustment

Among the rule changes could be to adjust the ineligible downfield rule from three yards past the line of scrimmage to one yard. A lineman who is more than one yard past the line of scrimmage must be engaged with a defensive player when a pass is released. The pop pass is an option play where linemen block for the run, but the quarterback can pull the ball and pass it.

I think offensive scoring has made college football boring, and we need to give defenses a better chance, said no one ever.

engie
02-11-2015, 07:07 PM
I wouldn't mind them limiting the hurry up a little bit. That's what has taken defensive strategy out of the game and hurt it to an extent IMO...

There's gotta be balance -- and the pendulum has to, at least to some small extent, swing both ways...

DancingRabbit
02-11-2015, 07:08 PM
If they would just enforce the current rule correctly this would be unnecessary. I never noticed our offense abusing the rule and never heard MSU being called out by announcers or opponents' fans. But I did notice it in other games a lot.

Here's a list of all the committee's proposed rule changes.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/football-rules-committee-explore-future-technological-advances

Coach34
02-11-2015, 07:10 PM
Auburn is the biggest abuser of this

BulldogDX55
02-11-2015, 07:12 PM

Should hurt Ole Miss a great deal more than us, too.

starkvegasdawg
02-11-2015, 07:16 PM
Can the network by off the rules committee?

Todd4State
02-11-2015, 07:49 PM
This is aimed at the HUNH offenses, not the spread option.

bluelightstar
02-11-2015, 07:55 PM
Yeah, this doesn't seem to be at all aimed at us.

I think offensive scoring has made college football boring, and we need to give defenses a better chance, said no one ever.

Further, I disagree with this point. The scoring in college football is excessive -- give me 17-10 over 45-42 any day.

Todd4State
02-11-2015, 07:59 PM
I think part of the scoring too much issue- if you think that's an issue of course- is everyone wants to run a defense like Saban does. It just doesn't work all that well against the HUNH.

BulldogDX55
02-11-2015, 08:01 PM
Really, the rule is here because the pop pass is bullcrap.

IMissJack
02-11-2015, 09:49 PM
I saw a coach talking about Baylor this year, and he showed several plays where they were 5 yds down field.

War Machine Dawg
02-11-2015, 11:17 PM
Figures. My position on HUNH is pretty simple: Offenses shouldn't be allowed to snap the ball before the chains are set. I've seen wayyyyy too many times that TSUN and Auburn are snapping the ball and the chain gang is still 3 yards behind trying to catch up. The official should stand over the ball until the chain gang is set. If the offense wants to immediately snap it at that point, I have no problem with it. But it's a joke and a disservice to the game when teams are snapping so fast. There's literally no way to tell where the ball should be spotted when the chains aren't set.

DancingRabbit
02-11-2015, 11:55 PM
Figures. My position on HUNH is pretty simple: Offenses shouldn't be allowed to snap the ball before the chains are set. I've seen wayyyyy too many times that TSUN and Auburn are snapping the ball and the chain gang is still 3 yards behind trying to catch up. The official should stand over the ball until the chain gang is set. If the offense wants to immediately snap it at that point, I have no problem with it. But it's a joke and a disservice to the game when teams are snapping so fast. There's literally no way to tell where the ball should be spotted when the chains aren't set.

I thought the SEC cleaned that up this past year to a large degree. Year before it was ridiculous.

Todd4State
02-12-2015, 12:28 AM
Figures. My position on HUNH is pretty simple: Offenses shouldn't be allowed to snap the ball before the chains are set. I've seen wayyyyy too many times that TSUN and Auburn are snapping the ball and the chain gang is still 3 yards behind trying to catch up. The official should stand over the ball until the chain gang is set. If the offense wants to immediately snap it at that point, I have no problem with it. But it's a joke and a disservice to the game when teams are snapping so fast. There's literally no way to tell where the ball should be spotted when the chains aren't set. This is how I feel too. I don't mind it if a team wants to snap the ball quickly, but I do ask that it be done within the current rules of the game.

messageboardsuperhero
02-12-2015, 12:39 AM

Yep. How they even allow teams to snap the ball without having the chains set is beyond me. I really don't see how that is not against the rules.

And to be fair, we ran the HUNH a good bit this year too and got away with it a little- so I'm not just saying this because Auburn, A&M, and UM do it.

Jack Lambert
02-12-2015, 09:03 AM
Should hurt Ole Miss a great deal more than us, too.

even with the rule Day got busted a bunch of times. I think the rule hurts us as well with Dak's ability to run during a pass play.

confucius say
02-12-2015, 09:06 AM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bszJ3WziDls

FlabLoser
02-12-2015, 09:13 AM
even with the rule Day got busted a bunch of times. I think the rule hurts us as well with Dak's ability to run during a pass play.

I think Day had a target on him all year after Les Miles' whining about stompgate.

Coach34
02-12-2015, 09:51 AM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bszJ3WziDls

nice work- look at all their linemen 5 yards downfield when he threw that ball

thf24
02-12-2015, 10:09 AM

Yeah, they don't "abuse" the rule. They straight up break it, and somehow always get away with it.

sandwolf
02-12-2015, 10:33 AM

Yep. That is as obvious as it gets.....those guys were straight run blocking.