PDA

View Full Version : Question for the Board

It_Could_Happen
02-11-2015, 01:20 AM
I, like a few of the others have defended Ray all year and wanted to bring him back. After tonight I'm not really sure what I want. This is for the people who want him gone... Just because I'm curious. Who do you want to bring in? Realistically who can we go hire. If we fired him my first call would be to the Murray State coach. Who do you guys want?

DudyDawg
02-11-2015, 01:23 AM
Jeff capel. Don't know how realistic that is/you want us to be

Raytoraid83
02-11-2015, 01:50 AM
Anyone*** but realistically Michael White. Unfortunately though I think we're gonna have to suffer through one more season of Ray ball....

msstate7
02-11-2015, 07:42 AM
Would Archie miller take the job?

Political Hack
02-11-2015, 08:03 AM
I'll take it & we'll win more games.

I care more about philosophy than who at this point. We've got to go 90 to nothing non-stop full court break and press. We have to "out-athlete" people for the next few years because we sure as shit aren't going to play a better basketball game.

I want that philosophy and someone who knows how to put a team together. How the hell we keep signing all these tweeters is beyond me. We've got a guy who can play the 3 or hold up the 1. We've got a 4 playing the 5. We've got a guy playing significant minutes at the 4 that doesn't belong on an sec basketball court. And after three years we still haven't decided that we need a 2-man that can shoot. I can find a 5'10" white boy out of hillbilly, MS that can fill it up from half court. They're everywhere. A little range would be nice with this team...

tcdog70
02-11-2015, 10:45 AM
I would take John Brady (he has been to the final four)--Butch Pierre might come with Him. i would Take Kermit Davis. I would love Michael White .Eustachy has won everywhere he has been.All of these guys have won and been to the Big Dance . They are proven Head Coaches.

HoopsDawg
02-11-2015, 10:54 AM
Need an offensive minded coach. I would rather lose in entertaining games than lose these games in the 50's.

Steve Prohm is still my no. 1 choice. They are 17th in the country in total offense this year. We shouldn't have low-balled him the last time. Make another run at him and if he passes move on to Michael White. Be prepared to spend some money.

rabbitthedawg
02-11-2015, 11:07 AM
I think Ray should receive at least another year. The way this whole thing was handled was and is a total dumpster fire. You fire a guy who wins 20+ games a year and hire an assistant coach from Clemson of all places? This program is in the tank right now, RR has been doing an ok job, just doesn't have the talent. Maybe next year will prove differently. You just don't go firing a coach every two or three years and expect to win many games.

msugolf
02-11-2015, 11:14 AM
I think Ray should receive at least another year. The way this whole thing was handled was and is a total dumpster fire. You fire a guy who wins 20+ games a year and hire an assistant coach from Clemson of all places? This program is in the tank right now, RR has been doing an ok job, just doesn't have the talent. Maybe next year will prove differently. You just don't go firing a coach every two or three years and expect to win many games.

What "talent" will he have next year?

msstate7
02-11-2015, 11:20 AM
What "talent" will he have next year?

Weathersoon is a top 100 player.

Hopefully zuppardo will be a player.

Hopefully tookie will be an upgrade over bloodman.

Black and Houston should be better

Will they upgrade our overall talent? I hope so, but who knows

YazooDawg23
02-11-2015, 11:30 AM
Zuppardo will be a poor mans Colin Borchert. If we are at the point where we need Zuppardo to contribute we are truly in the tank.

1bigdawg
02-11-2015, 11:34 AM

First, where he came from is no defense. He either wins or he does not and he is not winning. In college football, it can take time to build a program. In basketball, most turnarounds are evident no later than the second year.

The argument for keeping him is that is takes longer to fix the (admitted) dumpster fire. Can anyone give an example of a coach that took over a college basketball team in the last fifteen years that had three losing seasons and went on to build a powerhouse? If there is not one, then why would we think RR would be the exception.

Notes: I picked fifteen years because that is this century and the early NBA draft combined with AAU has changed college basketball.

Johnson85
02-11-2015, 11:38 AM
You just don't go firing a coach every two or three years and expect to win many games.

You also don't keep trying to hire people when the dumpster fire is burning brightest. Next year, we will have a pretty solid, veteran roster. May not be great, but potential head coaches will be able to see they have the opportunity to show some improvement in the first year. If we wait until after next year, we're asking coaches to take over a program in as bad or worse shape talent wise than what Ray was given. That doesn't seem like a great strategy for making a good hire.

Jack Lambert
02-11-2015, 11:44 AM
First, where he came from is no defense. He either wins or he does not and he is not winning. In college football, it can take time to build a program. In basketball, most turnarounds are evident no later than the second year.

The argument for keeping him is that is takes longer to fix the (admitted) dumpster fire. Can anyone give an example of a coach that took over a college basketball team in the last fifteen years that had three losing seasons and went on to build a powerhouse? If there is not one, then why would we think RR would be the exception.

Notes: I picked fifteen years because that is this century and the early NBA draft combined with AAU has changed college basketball.

I don't expect a power house but we should expect a winning season after three seasons. I am pretty sure I can find that coach. If I wanted to take the time.

headcoach98
02-11-2015, 11:53 AM
You also don't keep trying to hire people when the dumpster fire is burning brightest. Next year, we will have a pretty solid, veteran roster. May not be great, but potential head coaches will be able to see they have the opportunity to show some improvement in the first year. If we wait until after next year, we're asking coaches to take over a program in as bad or worse shape talent wise than what Ray was given. That doesn't seem like a great strategy for making a good hire.

This makes so much sense and I completely agree, still think Ray will get and deserves one more year with this group plus incoming players.

LC Dawg
02-11-2015, 12:34 PM
Can anyone give an example of a coach that took over a college basketball team in the last fifteen years that had three losing seasons and went on to build a powerhouse?

Indiana. Indiana may not be a powerhouse but Crean had three pretty awful years and went to the Sweet 16 his fourth year. The difference is Crean was a proven head coach when Indiana hired him and we hired an unknown assistant. I'm not defending Ray I'm just answering your question.

It_Could_Happen
02-11-2015, 12:42 PM
Jeff capel. Don't know how realistic that is/you want us to be

He's a name I've thrown around, just don't think he would come here for what we are willing to pay.