PDA

View Full Version : General recruiting question...

DistrictDawg92
02-09-2015, 06:43 PM
If you look back at each state's recruit rankings each year, it seems that on average atleast the top 8 eight players in each state are blue chip, SEC material, 4/5-star type players. So go back and look at the top 8 players for each border state of Mississippi(excluding Arkansas, for some reason they just don't have many top recruits, usually about 3 4-star type recruits) in the past 4 years, a glaring stat sticks out.

Of these 32 players for each state, 6 decided to leave the state of Alabama, 9 decided to leave the state of Louisiana, and 16 decided to leave the state of Tennessee. Only TWO decided to leave the State of Mississippi, and one of those two was Deon Mix, who was committed to State until Hev hurt his feelings, the other was Devin Voorhies, who lived in Woodville which is a stone throw from Louisiana and less than an hour from Baton Rouge. So my question, why do Mississippi kids seem to be so loyal to their state, compared to kids from other states that have traditional national powerhouses such as Alabama, LSU, Auburn, and Tennessee?

Covercorner2
02-09-2015, 06:46 PM
One reason is that those schools you listed recruit more nationally than State does and therefore some of those top guys in their state aren't even a priority.

Coach34
02-09-2015, 06:49 PM
State and Fredo are doing a better job of protecting the borders also. Used to half the top players would leave- not anymore.

And not only that- we have started signing kids 11-20 in state also and keeping them from going to Hattiesburg. It is killing that program

chef dixon
02-09-2015, 06:50 PM
Look back at the years 2005-2010 or so, top Mississippi guys were leaving the state at an alarming rate. Not only that, but USM was outdoing both us and OM within the state. Its just really been the last few years in which MSU and OM have begun to lock it up.

DistrictDawg92
02-09-2015, 06:56 PM
One reason is that those schools you listed recruit more nationally than State does and therefore some of those top guys in their state aren't even a priority.

I see what you are saying but I don't know if I buy that, the two top 8 players that left our state signed with Auburn and LSU. Why would Auburn and LSU come reach into our top 8 recruits when both of those states generally have a higher ranked top 8 players than Mississippi's top 8. When you look at the top 8 players that left Louisiana or Alabama, I can guarantee that they all had an offer from an in-state SEC team.

DistrictDawg92
02-09-2015, 07:15 PM
Look back at the years 2005-2010 or so, top Mississippi guys were leaving the state at an alarming rate. Not only that, but USM was outdoing both us and OM within the state. Its just really been the last few years in which MSU and OM have begun to lock it up.

I agree, so what is causing this recent trend of Mississippi recruits staying in state? One might logically say that it's because State and Ole Miss have been more successful, but AL, AU, LSU and TN are generally always successful. I think in part it is due to Mullen's recruiting style of recruiting Mississippi so hard. I don't think there is any concrete right or wrong answer but it seems to be a good discussion topic.

Dawgcentral
02-09-2015, 07:25 PM
I think the camps play a bigger role than they did in the past. Players bond. They get a sense of the town and get a feel for the atmosphere. Better facilities are playing a big role. Letting prospects know what we can provide these days as opposed to what was done in the past plays a large role. The academic center probably appeals to parents.

Reason2succeed
02-09-2015, 10:41 PM
Knock on wood. Let's keep it that way. Keep Mississippi locked up and snag some of the best from Alabama, Louisiana, Tennessee, and Georgia.