PDA

View Full Version : Gavin Collins injury

MsStateBaseball
02-08-2015, 07:46 PM
Gene interviewed Cohen. Gavin had surgery to remove his hamate bone in his left hand. Be out 2-6 weeks. No one knows how long

starkvegasdawg
02-08-2015, 08:04 PM
A quick google search made that bone look like the attachment point for a couple fingers. Unreal how they can remove it and him still have use of those fingers. Medical science...

messageboardsuperhero
02-08-2015, 08:10 PM
I've been trying to do a little research on it... From my limited knowledge, it looks like one of those things that has a pretty wide range of recovery times. Some people can bounce back from it quick, while others take longer. With it being Collins's receiving hand, I'd be really surprised to see him behind the plate until the start of SEC play at the absolute earliest- and even then, that would be pretty damn gritty. Maybe he could DH a little before then, who knows.

All you can really do is make him drink a bunch of milk and hope for the best at this point.

justin
02-08-2015, 08:11 PM
Recovery time is usually pretty quick on that, but it can take a while to regain power. Hate to hear that because I thought Collins would benefit the most from the new baseball this year.

smootness
02-08-2015, 08:34 PM
I've been trying to do a little research on it... From my limited knowledge, it looks like one of those things that has a pretty wide range of recovery times. Some people can bounce back from it quick, while others take longer. With it being Collins's receiving hand, I'd be really surprised to see him behind the plate until the start of SEC play at the absolute earliest- and even then, that would be pretty damn gritty. Maybe he could DH a little before then, who knows.

All you can really do is make him drink a bunch of milk and hope for the best at this point.

It's interesting for a catcher. It seems like your receiving hand might be tougher from a pain standpoint, as you'll obviously take a pounding there...but it would probably take longer to actually be able to perform your duties if it was your throwing hand. As long as you can stand the pain, it seems like it wouldn't necessarily make it tougher to catch on your receiving hand once mostly healed.

But it would probably cause problems for you trying to throw accurately with your throwing hand broken. But I'm just guessing, so I could be totally off.

Hopefully we can get him back after just a few weeks. Maybe they can create some kind of extra padding in his glove?

messageboardsuperhero
02-08-2015, 09:00 PM
Reading this makes me feel better:

What is Gavin Collins injury situation with his hamate bone?
"(Removing the hamate bone) is a very common baseball surgery. It is not a broken bone. It is on his receiving hand. It really depends on how quick we can get him back. I'm not 100% sure when we will, although we feel like we will get him back pretty quick. We really don't know if it will be 2 weeks, 3 weeks or 4 weeks. We just don't know."

Hopefully he can be back around the start of SEC play.

engie
02-08-2015, 10:21 PM
I never had it removed, but I had a lot of trouble with it at one time.

I can't really explain why, but hindsight leads me to believe it was somewhat related to the glove I was using. Nocona was heavy at the time(in my head under the pretense of better padding), but led to some pretty debilitating wrist trouble. I tried a good Wilson, which was far lighter, and the problem went away over time...

We haven't changed equipment lately have we?

GTHOM
02-08-2015, 10:24 PM
wow. thats our luck. hope he at least can DH some we need his bat.... how good is our depth at catcher?

messageboardsuperhero
02-08-2015, 10:43 PM
wow. thats our luck. hope he at least can DH some we need his bat.... how good is our depth at catcher?

TBD. We know what we have in Walker, and Lovelady is supposedly a good defender.

They don't have to be difference makers like Collins is, but as long as the backups don't cost us any games we'll be okay. I just want to avoid a repeat of last year where gross incompetence behind the plate costed us the Memphis game- which seemingly set a tone of hesitancy and distrust between our pitchers and catchers that lasted the rest of the season.

Todd4State
02-08-2015, 11:10 PM
Usually with us, unknown recovery times usually mean out the entire year. It's going to have to be Walker and Lovelady obviously. This sucks.

This makes whomever the DH is more important IMO.