PDA

View Full Version : Q: why is jumping off the non

gravedigger
02-07-2015, 08:12 PM
Pivot foot no longer considered traveling?

For those that answer "its been accepted for years" , what exactly is the definition of traveling? Why shouldnt a player juat be able to tuck it and run?

Liverpooldawg
02-07-2015, 08:49 PM
Been wondering about that myself. It's the same in high school too. Did they change the rule?

gravedigger
02-08-2015, 01:04 AM
I noticed it in the early 80's in pro ball.

It has compromised the basis of the game. Im actually hoping to get a response from someone who can make the point that they think its a good thing.

So far i dont think anyone has the gumption.

MabenMaroon
02-08-2015, 08:38 AM
I guess it is women's game thing, because they damn sure call it every time at the Lady Dawgs games I have seen.

Political Hack
02-08-2015, 08:47 AM
of the pivot foot moves it should be called.

a lot of people complain about the extra step, but I think it's more of a case of world class athletes learning how to time their steps to get a "free first half of a step". I don't really see 3+ steps regularly. I do see 2.5 a lot though and it's never called.

FlabLoser
02-08-2015, 08:52 AM
I used to see guys running (traveling) from the free throw line. Now I see guys doing it from the top of the key.

Ask yourself if any of those kinds of moves would be allowed if they player weren't shooting. Say moving laterally to make a pass.

FlabLoser
02-08-2015, 08:54 AM
I admit I'm biased. It's that traveling crap and the rule where a shooter can initiate contact & get a foul on the defender that makes me hate basketball.

Tbonewannabe
02-08-2015, 11:12 AM
If you're going to complain about that you might as well complain about carrying the ball. Michael Jordan made it an art form. Your hand on the side of the ball for cross overs are pretty much all illegal.

Johnson85
02-08-2015, 12:06 PM
Is there anything in the rules that says it should be traveling? Hasn't been called traveling anytime that I've played.

Dawg61
02-08-2015, 12:36 PM
I admit I'm biased. It's that traveling crap and the rule where a shooter can initiate contact & get a foul on the defender that makes me hate basketball.

I despise the new fouls rule. Worst change ever in any sport I can think of. One and done NBA rules also has destroyed cbb.

TheRef
02-08-2015, 01:14 PM
If you're going to complain about that you might as well complain about carrying the ball. Michael Jordan made it an art form. Your hand on the side of the ball for cross overs are pretty much all illegal.

The rule is written that as long as the hand does not go past the "equator" mark on the ball, it's not considered carrying. Now that's how the rule is written, and it's very difficult to see/enforce most of the time.

I will pull out the wording of the rule when I back home.

TheRef
02-08-2015, 01:16 PM
of the pivot foot moves it should be called.

a lot of people complain about the extra step, but I think it's more of a case of world class athletes learning how to time their steps to get a "free first half of a step". I don't really see 3+ steps regularly. I do see 2.5 a lot though and it's never called.

As long as the pivot foot doesn't touch the ground again, it's not traveling...I'll have to look at the rule as it is written to verify, but I believe that is the correct interpretation.

DudyDawg
02-08-2015, 05:28 PM

The new thing in the NBA is sweeping your arms through a defenders and "shooting" to get a foul. It's the equivalent of soccer players rolling around on the ground to get the ptger guy a yellow card. It's very annoying. Need to change that rule fast

gravedigger
02-08-2015, 05:55 PM
Is there anything in the rules that says it should be traveling? Hasn't been called traveling anytime that I've played.

Is there anything in the rules? Are you serious? You mean they could have been running with the ball tucked all alon?

gravedigger
02-08-2015, 05:59 PM
Im not talking about jumping off the pivot foot.

If you rotate on the pivot and then jump off the other after lifting your pivot, that is traveling in any basketball league. Otherwise its not a pivot foot.

Rayburn8
02-08-2015, 06:30 PM
Another thing is in the NBA you technically get three steps. A step to gather the ball and then two steps after that. That is how it is written and freak athletes like the Greek freak(look it up, not spelling his name) and Kd and Lebron can cover a lot of distance in that time.

gravedigger
02-08-2015, 06:36 PM
I stand corrected !! I was completely wrong in my concept of how the rule is interpreted.

You can 'jump off' or the the non pivot foot when passing or shooting. You cannot lift your pivot foot when beginning a dribble.

Never knew the distinction.