PDA

View Full Version : Alec Murphy

GreenheadDawg
02-07-2015, 07:40 PM
Haven't seen many people mention him at all. I was watching his Hudl video and I think he looks pretty good. Really good size and athleticism. Doesn't have blazing speed but great vision.

Bothrops
02-08-2015, 03:01 AM
His video is impressive. He has pretty good top end and runs strong.

Political Hack
02-08-2015, 07:57 AM
he was my pick in the sleeper thread. I think he's going to be a stud work horse and leave Starrkvegas as an all time favorite. He's huge, powerful, and has great vision.

defiantdog
02-08-2015, 09:09 AM
he was my pick in the sleeper thread. I think he's going to be a stud work horse and leave Starrkvegas as an all time favorite. He's huge, powerful, and has great vision.
Do you think he'll remain a running back?

GreenheadDawg
02-08-2015, 09:54 AM

He reminds me of Dixon but with a little better accerleration. I'm excited about this guy

mic
02-08-2015, 10:20 AM

Yes

hailmari
02-08-2015, 11:22 AM
He does look good but I can't help but consider the competition he's running all over. Look like junior high academy teams.

starkvegasdawg
02-08-2015, 11:42 AM
He does look good but I can't help but consider the competition he's running all over. Look like junior high academy teams.

Mullen seems to be excited to have him so that's good enough for me. If he doesn't pan out we have a whole stable of backs to turn to.

HoopsDawg
02-08-2015, 12:48 PM

He seems like a good kid and a decent athlete. Hopefully he can be a contributor on special teams. I doubt he will ever tote the ball.

GreenheadDawg
02-08-2015, 01:18 PM
He seems like a good kid and a decent athlete. Hopefully he can be a contributor on special teams. I doubt he will ever tote the ball.

Is this your normal pessimistic post or have you actually seen the kid play?

msstate7
02-08-2015, 01:24 PM

I doubt he'll pass Gibson and dear myself. Of course, I didn't think lee would be close to aeries either, but word is lee is right there

HoopsDawg
02-08-2015, 01:29 PM
Is this your normal pessimistic post or have you actually seen the kid play?

Ask me about Peters or Donald Gray. I think they are going to be outstanding. But you didn't.

HoopsDawg
02-08-2015, 01:29 PM
I doubt he'll pass Gibson and dear myself. Of course, I didn't think lee would be close to aeries either, but word is lee is right there

Lee has surprised me as well. I thought he would be on defense by now, but I was basing that on his performance in the State championship game and it turns out he was injured in that game.

Bothrops
02-08-2015, 02:56 PM
Uh..we don't know how Murphy is going to turn out at the next level. What is obvious is that he is already 220, and can run very well. That's 2 out of 2. I don't know how bad his hs competition was, but the video showed him running away from smaller, lighter guys trying to catch him all over the field. I think he has all the physical tools, it will come down to his health and how much he wants it.

Political Hack
02-08-2015, 04:21 PM
Murphy will be our grinder out of the backfield quickly and I wouldn't be shocked to see him carrying it as a true freshman either. He's a match up nightmare so long as Dak is the keep on the read option.

You can't even consider him and Dear to be playing the same position really and I think he's already ahead of Gibson.

msstate7
02-08-2015, 04:32 PM
Murphy will be our grinder out of the backfield quickly and I wouldn't be shocked to see him carrying it as a true freshman either. He's a match up nightmare so long as Dak is the keep on the read option.

You can't even consider him and Dear to be playing the same position really and I think he's already ahead of Gibson.

Ahead of aeries and lee too?

If we don't RS one of our 3 freshmen rb's, it'll be bc one is well along or 1 isn't as good as the other 2.

Political Hack
02-08-2015, 04:36 PM
Ahead of aeries and lee too?

If we don't RS one of our 3 freshmen rb's, it'll be bc one is well along or 1 isn't as good as the other 2.

no. but it wouldn't shock me to see him pass them over the next year or two. I think we've got 4-5 guys that could get carries this season.

Bothrops
02-08-2015, 05:50 PM
I agree with Hack

MaroonState
02-08-2015, 08:48 PM

He will have to be the second coming of Bo Jackson or Herschel Walker to pass Aries this year. I mean come on. In a year or two all bets are off. But not as a true freshman unless he is one of the two in sentence one.

HoopsDawg
02-08-2015, 09:30 PM

Really inaccurate post. Of course I can't prove it at this point, but no, he is nowhere close to being ahead of Nick Gibson. And no way he gets carries as a true freshman. That is just laughable.

A lot of fans and message board posters get fooled by video, let me rephrase, highlight video. One of the best videos I have ever seen was Zach Smith's. Many MSU fans on these boards loved Nick Schuessler after seeing his video. Everyone was convinced we had found a sleeper.

GreenheadDawg
02-08-2015, 09:32 PM
Really inaccurate post. Of course I can't prove it at this point, but no, he is nowhere close to being ahead of Nick Gibson. And no way he gets carries as a true freshman. That is just laughable.

A lot of fans and message board posters get fooled by video, let me rephrase, highlight video. One of the best videos I have ever seen was Zach Smith's. Many MSU fans on these boards loved Nick Schuessler after seeing his video. Everyone was convinced we had found a sleeper.

I agree with this. Highlight videos can be pretty deceiving

smootness
02-08-2015, 09:35 PM

So...what are you basing your opinion that Gibson is way ahead of Murphy on?

msstate7
02-08-2015, 09:37 PM

Highlight video**

HoopsDawg
02-08-2015, 10:49 PM

People that saw them at camp. Coaches opinion. And watching Gibson play full games as opposed to just highlight tape. Not to mention the offer from Saban as opposed to Murphy who was not heavily pursued the last 5 months.

Todd4State
02-08-2015, 11:26 PM
People that saw them at camp. Coaches opinion. And watching Gibson play full games as opposed to just highlight tape. Not to mention the offer from Saban as opposed to Murphy who was not heavily pursued the last 5 months.

This is what I enjoy about recruiting- actually going to their games and making a judgement call based on what I see. I like Gibson better too.

maroonmania
02-08-2015, 11:53 PM

Well, will just say that, opposed to people like Zach Smith and Nick Schuessler, Gibson had loads of offers from Power 5 schools (mostly Big 10 and Big 12) prior to committing to us. Given he committed back so long ago I'm not sure what "heavily pursued" means since it was obvious he wasn't going to consider other schools given he was originally from MS. Now that said, Gibson likely is the slightly better back at the moment but its hard to teach 220+ pounds with 4.5 speed which is what Murphy has going for him.