PDA

View Full Version : Big week for Ray and the Dawgs coming

Coach34
02-07-2015, 06:25 PM
Bammer at home and then on the road at Mizzou...good chance to get to 6-6 in the SEC

bobcat91
02-07-2015, 06:27 PM
Can the bull. We suck. Period. You wanted Stans gone and he is. Don't try to sugarcoat this disaster.

msstate7
02-07-2015, 06:29 PM
Definetely winnable games. I think we bounce back tues night

Coach34
02-07-2015, 06:35 PM
Can the bull. We suck. Period. You wanted Stans gone and he is. Don't try to sugarcoat this disaster.

What bull? We can certainly win these 2 games this week. I'll be surprised if we dont. Watching Bama struggle at LSU right now on TV- ya know, the team we beat last Saturday?

coastdoglover
02-07-2015, 07:02 PM
I agree, we can win but we had no clue how to handle the full court pressure today and it is obvious if Sword and Thomas don't hit 3's we have no idea how to run an offense. Hard to understand why everyone doesn't press us but some of them don't have the depth to do it. I almost got caught up in the euphoria for a couple of games but we returned to what we had seen all year. God forbid once these Seniors next year graduate, it is going to be awful.

What bull? We can certainly win these 2 games this week. I'll be surprised if we dont. Watching Bama struggle at LSU right now on TV- ya know, the team we beat last Saturday?

K9 Avenger
02-07-2015, 07:04 PM
Ah, the University of Stans fans are back after a couple weeks hiatus

Coach34
02-07-2015, 07:10 PM
I agree, we can win but we had no clue how to handle the full court pressure today and it is obvious if Sword and Thomas don't hit 3's we have no idea how to run an offense. Hard to understand why everyone doesn't press us but some of them don't have the depth to do it. I almost got caught up in the euphoria for a couple of games but we returned to what we had seen all year. God forbid once these Seniors next year graduate, it is going to be awful.

we knew what to do- we just arent good enough to do it. Ray didnt coach Ready to try to split a double team on the press and then continue on and try to beat a 3rd man without passing the ball. I promise you that wasnt taught at all. We're not that good and games like today will be tough on us. But as I said- dont be surprised if we win both this week.

msstate7
02-07-2015, 07:10 PM

Assuming ray makes it to next signing day, we'll be adding our most talented recruit (simonds) since hood. Hicks in that class is a very good player. Weatherspoon is gonna be a nice player this year.

engie
02-07-2015, 07:11 PM

Nothing pisses me off worse than the fans that disappear in good times and make the place unreadable at the first signs of adversity.

Damn, we lost in a spot we've won like 4 times in history. Back to the shitter!!1!1

War Machine Dawg
02-07-2015, 07:12 PM

BAM! Kill shot by Avenger.

http://i.imgur.com/f6fQBmX.gif

Coach34
02-07-2015, 07:14 PM
Zuppardo and Black will be solid in the front court...still have Ready plus Tookie-Monster...Houston will have developed some...plus some other talented recruits...we'll be ok

War Machine Dawg
02-07-2015, 07:17 PM
Nothing pisses me off worse than the fans that disappear in good times and make the place unreadable at the first signs of adversity.

Damn, we lost in a spot we've won like 4 times in history. Back to the shitter!!1!1

And they're conveniently "misremembering" their hero Stands got his ass blown out up there a bunch of times with vastly superior teams.

mic
02-07-2015, 07:18 PM
It was Arkansas at Bud Walton... Very few outside of UK and UF few have gone In there and won. Hell we havent won but a few times there period.
And yeah we played like shit today ..
But Out of the last 3 games if you had said we would have gone 2-1 everyone would have taken that.
Have to at least go 1-1 before we play 3 in a row at home.

So if you can make it.. Suck it up .. Put away your autographed Rick Stansbury poster and get to the Hump Wednesday...

Goat from MSU
02-07-2015, 07:19 PM
One the very few times would I agree with you on basketball ,but we should win these 2 . We are looking like a team so yea we got beat by 20 ,but Stansbury's teams took beatings like that during his time here. So what let some our older guys start working on Mr. Newman's sholly offer that would be better than bitching about Ray. He here one more year whether we like it or not.
Bammer at home and then on the road at Mizzou...good chance to get to 6-6 in the SEC

engie
02-07-2015, 07:22 PM
Weatherspoon is very good. Hicks and Simonds very good. Strugg is an athletic freakshow not unlike Houston, but will also need development. We're chasing another 4* sg for the 2015 class to be here next year too...

msstate7
02-07-2015, 07:32 PM
Weatherspoon is very good. Hicks and Simonds very good. Strugg is an athletic freakshow not unlike Houston, but will also need development. We're chasing another 4* sg for the 2015 class to be here next year too...

Juco guy, right? How likely are we to sign him?

War Machine Dawg
02-07-2015, 07:33 PM

You mean Ray is showing improvement as a recruiter? B...b...but the University of Stans fans told me that's impossible.

bluelightstar
02-07-2015, 07:43 PM
I wanted Stansbury to go, but I am amazed at the people apologizing for a 20-point loss where we had 9 points in a half. haha

Liverpooldawg
02-07-2015, 07:46 PM

Your double standard is getting old.

Coach34
02-07-2015, 07:53 PM
I wanted Stansbury to go, but I am amazed at the people apologizing for a 20-point loss where we had 9 points in a half. haha

Louisville had 13 at half tonight- does Pitino need to go?

thedawg
02-07-2015, 07:55 PM

Why didnt you apologize to Ray when we beat LSU or Tennessee on the road?

Coach34
02-07-2015, 07:58 PM
Your double standard is getting old.

Stands didnt have the same expectations in Year 3 as he did in Year 5,7,9 etc...We are rebuilding now. 2 wins this week to get to 6-6 in conference would be huge for the program right now. This shit aint hard to understand.

The difference in you and I is you are comparing Ray right now to Stands in Year 4 and beyond. I'm comparing Ray to the last 2 seasons. Are we building and getting better? That question will be answered the next couple of weeks

Liverpooldawg
02-07-2015, 08:00 PM
Louisville had 13 at half tonight- does Pitino need to go?

Did you really just try to equate Pitino to Ray?

Liverpooldawg
02-07-2015, 08:05 PM
Stands didnt have the same expectations in Year 3 as he did in Year 5,7,9 etc...We are rebuilding now. 2 wins this week to get to 6-6 in conference would be huge for the program right now. This shit aint hard to understand.

The difference in you and I is you are comparing Ray right now to Stands in Year 4 and beyond. I'm comparing Ray to the last 2 seasons. Are we building and getting better? That question will be answered the next couple of weeks

You just tried to equate Ray to Pitino. My take is a guy with a proven record gets more leeway than one who has no proven record. You obviously feel the opposite is the case. Fact remains we are still years away, whether it's Ray or the next guy or the next. Self inflicted wounds are always ugly. FYI: my take on Ray has remained constant. If he doesn't finish at.500 or better this year he needs to go.

msstate7
02-07-2015, 08:07 PM
you just tried to equate Ray to Pitino. My take is a guy with a proven record gets mor leeway than one who has no proven record. You obviously fell the opposite is the case. Fact remains we are still years away, whether it's Ray or the next guy or the next. Self inflicted wounds are always ugly. FYI: my take on Ray has remained constant. If he doesn't finish at.500 or better this year he needs to go.

So what's acceptable for Pitino is unacceptable for ray? Makes perfect sense*

bobcat91
02-07-2015, 08:10 PM
What is also old is evrytime someone mentions what a steaming pile of crap we are and that Ray couldn't coach an upward basketball team that folks come out talking about Stans supporters. Most wanted Stans gone, but no one knew how incompetent that Stricklin would be. We shot under 10% in the first half and had single digits. Please defend that crap.

Coach34
02-07-2015, 08:25 PM
As I told another poster in a PM- if we dont handle business Tuesday- pile on all you want. But the team has been playing better and showing signs of life. Nobody is happy about today and we expect better Tuesday. I think we'll get it.

Liverpooldawg
02-07-2015, 09:06 PM
So what's acceptable for Pitino is unacceptable for ray? Makes perfect sense*

Are you saying Ray has the same track record as Pitino?

Liverpooldawg
02-07-2015, 09:10 PM
As I told another poster in a PM- if we dont handle business Tuesday- pile on all you want. But the team has been playing better and showing signs of life. Nobody is happy about today and we expect better Tuesday. I think we'll get it.

If he finishes @.500 or better he should get another year. If he doesn't.......three years is ample time to get to .500 overall. That is far from the objective but I do recognize the handicaps Ray was working under. But going sub .500 overall for thee straight years in the SEC is totally unacceptable. I think everyone would agree with that.

CadaverDawg
02-07-2015, 10:10 PM
I wasn't going to jump in this thread, but 2 things pissed me off....

1) Just because people are pissed at our shittiness, or think it's time for Ray to go, does not make them "University of Stans Fans!1!1!!". They may very well be glad Stans is gone AND be tired of seeing the current shittiness.

And...

2) If anyone on this board ever tries to compare Rick Ray to Rick Pitino again, they should be banned or ban themselves, because that is the dumbest shit I've ever read on this board.
Not only is it overall the dumbest thing ever because Pitino has proven to be a bad ass legendary coach and Ray has proven nothing....It's also the dumbest thing ever because Louisville was in a match up with a Top 5 team in a heavyweight match up. To compare a Louisville team coached by Pitino scoring 13 in a half vs Top 5 Virginia, to a MSU team coached by Rick "nobody knows me" Ray scoring 9 points in a half against an average (or slightly above) Arkansas team, is the definition of ignorant.

I thought we'd get smashed tonight bc it's hard to win there, so I don't let it totally ruin the LSU and Tenn wins....and yes, I wanted Stans gone....I am only posting in this thread because point #1 is tiresome, and point #2 is pure damn stupid.

Carry on

msstate7
02-07-2015, 10:19 PM
Are you saying Ray has the same track record as Pitino?

Not at all. All I was implying is that if a terrible half can happen to one of the best coaches ever with an outstanding team surely we shouldn't fire a coach that's nowhere near pitino with a much less talented roster for a terrible half.

Ray needs to get win this week though

starkvegasdawg
02-07-2015, 10:26 PM
I wasn't going to jump in this thread, but 2 things pissed me off....

1) Just because people are pissed at our shittiness, or think it's time for Ray to go, does not make them "University of Stans Fans!1!1!!". They may very well be glad Stans is gone AND be tired of seeing the current shittiness.

And...

2) If anyone on this board ever tries to compare Rick Ray to Rick Pitino again, they should be banned or ban themselves, because that is the dumbest shit I've ever read on this board.
Not only is it overall the dumbest thing ever because Pitino has proven to be a bad ass legendary coach and Ray has proven nothing....It's also the dumbest thing ever because Louisville was in a match up with a Top 5 team in a heavyweight match up. To compare a Louisville team coached by Pitino scoring 13 in a half vs Top 5 Virginia, to a MSU team coached by Rick "nobody knows me" Ray scoring 9 points in a half against an average (or slightly above) Arkansas team, is the definition of ignorant.

I thought we'd get smashed tonight bc it's hard to win there, so I don't let it totally ruin the LSU and Tenn wins....and yes, I wanted Stans gone....I am only posting in this thread because point #1 is tiresome, and point #2 is pure damn stupid.

Carry on
I think he shot the bird as he walked off after dropping the mike.

Liverpooldawg
02-07-2015, 10:33 PM
Not at all. All I was implying is that if a terrible half can happen to one of the best coaches ever with an outstanding team surely we shouldn't fire a coach that's nowhere near pitino with a much less talented roster for a terrible half.

Ray needs to get win this week though

LOL, I bet you weren't. Good for you.

tcdog70
02-07-2015, 10:45 PM

Are they as good as Travis Daniels***

engie
02-07-2015, 10:58 PM
Are they as good as Travis Daniels***

Last week -- 3 more wins fahrrrrr Ray**

This week -- "oh we dont suck!1! NIT possible!!!!"**

Play a bad half in a place that has always been voodoo for us -- "oh, back to talking shit!!1!"

You are really gonna run smack after all the flip flopping you've already done in a record amount of time?

I'm confused by who expected us to win in Bud Walton?

tcdog70
02-08-2015, 12:01 AM
Last week -- 3 more wins fahrrrrr Ray**

This week -- "oh we dont suck!1! NIT possible!!!!"**

Play a bad half in a place that has always been voodoo for us -- "oh, back to talking shit!!1!"

You are really gonna run smack after all the flip flopping you've already done in a record amount of time?

I'm confused by who expected us to win in Bud Walton?

Flip flop, that be you. Couple weeks ago,you were dogging Ray. All I have said is I'm glad we are winning. I've never said I want Ray. He has an experienced team and they should win. I'm for MSU , Ray not so much. And I didn't think we had a snowballs chance in Hell to win today. We have lost there when we had great teams.You can't win there with shitty guards.

I wasn't talking shit about Ray. I was a talking shit about your ability to evaluate basketball talent.

bluelightstar
02-08-2015, 01:54 AM
Why didnt you apologize to Ray when we beat LSU or Tennessee on the road?

This is just made up BS

mcdawg
02-08-2015, 08:50 AM

A lot of us have been saying this from the beginning. Then, we win a couple of games and I have to read that Ray is a good coach. We still suck, and he still cannot coach offense or recruit. But, the biggest thing is that nobody really cares anymore, and OM has easily passed us by. We have no talent and are not fun to watch. I have a friend who talks to top high school coaches and some college asst coaches - they cannot believe some of the players that we have signed. I would name them, but I would have to go look them up (don't even know if I would get their names right). People are watching their kids play soccer, hunting, golfing, etc - not going or watching State basketball any more. Here is a typical conversation when I see a big State fan now - great football season, good football recruiting, looking forward to baseball, and don't keep up with men's basketball at all any more (even though I use to love it). That is where we are.

Eric Nies Grind Time
02-08-2015, 10:08 AM
People are probably also angry that Ole Miss is about to make their second ncaa tourney in three years. They are playing really well.

Quaoarsking
02-08-2015, 10:11 AM
A lot of us have been saying this from the beginning. Then, we win a couple of games and I have to read that Ray is a good coach. We still suck, and he still cannot coach offense or recruit. But, the biggest thing is that nobody really cares anymore, and OM has easily passed us by. We have no talent and are not fun to watch. I have a friend who talks to top high school coaches and some college asst coaches - they cannot believe some of the players that we have signed. I would name them, but I would have to go look them up (don't even know if I would get their names right). People are watching their kids play soccer, hunting, golfing, etc - not going or watching State basketball any more. Here is a typical conversation when I see a big State fan now - great football season, good football recruiting, looking forward to baseball, and don't keep up with men's basketball at all any more (even though I use to love it). That is where we are.

No we don't. Teams that suck don't beat NCAA Tournament teams like LSU and don't go on the road and beat NCAA bubble teams like Tennessee.

We still aren't a particularly good team, but we've sucked the last 2 years and this we we don't suck. Why is that so hard for the Ray-bashers, who've never, ever given the man a chance, to admit?

msstate7
02-08-2015, 10:14 AM
People are probably also angry that Ole Miss is about to make their second ncaa tourney in three years. They are playing really well.

They're playing very well. Don't write them with a pen just yet though. Here's their remaining schedule...

At florida
Ark
At us
Tenn
Georgia
At lsu

That's a tough stretch. The 2 weakest teams (florida and us) are on the road. Arkansas, tenn, georgia, and lsu are fighting for postseason.

Eric Nies Grind Time
02-08-2015, 10:17 AM
Yeah it is a tougher stretch. Although tenn is not fighting for anything...they are out. Arkansas is playing for better seeding.

engie
02-08-2015, 10:23 AM
Cherry picking out of all the things I've said. How was I supposed to know Daniels was going to disappear when the lights came on? Let me guess -- you don't think he's talented because he isn't performing well in games right now? You probably thought Chris Stratton was a bum that we should cut after his first 2 too huh? Talent level, measureables, and how guys practice doesn't always translate to how guys play in games -- but I already know you aren't going to understand that.

Engie said Sword would develop into a decent shooter -- you talked shit -- now you forgot about it.
Engie said Ready and Thomas would develop into pretty good shooters -- you talked shit -- now you forgot about it.

We can go back through all the other stuff you've gotten wrong -- if you'd like?

HoopsDawg
02-08-2015, 10:26 AM
Cherry picking out of all the things I've said. How was I supposed to know Daniels was going to disappear when the lights came on? Let me guess -- you don't think he's talented because he isn't performing well in games right now? You probably thought Chris Stratton was a bum that we should cut after his first 2 too huh? Talent level, measureables, and how guys practice doesn't always translate to how guys play in games -- but I already know you aren't going to understand that.

Engie said Sword would develop into a decent shooter -- you talked shit -- now you forgot about it.
Engie said Ready and Thomas would develop into pretty good shooters -- you talked shit -- now you forgot about it.

We can go back through all the other stuff you've gotten wrong -- if you'd like?

I told you in the preseason that Daniels didn't have the mentality to be a big time player and you disagreed.

engie
02-08-2015, 10:28 AM
Why is that so hard for the Ray-bashers, who've never, ever given the man a chance, to admit?

Because the team is getting better -- recruiting has already gotten better -- and they realize if they don't yell loud enough to get him out right now(while literally pulling against us finishing strong like it seems we can) -- they may have to spend the next 10 years wearing it...

HoopsDawg
02-08-2015, 10:30 AM
What concerns me about Ray's future more than anything is we aren't playing the style of basketball that kids in this area want to play. We are playing slow it down, Big 10/Purdue, half court offense. We didn't attack Arkansas press to get easy baskets. That's the only way you can compete with them.

People might say, we don't have the talent to play up-tempo ball. While that's true, you have to run your system and then recruit players to that system. They will see your style and want to play in it, if it's a fun style of basketball. Bruce Pearl is running his system at AU and taking his lumps but eventually they will start winning games and going to NCAA tournaments.

engie
02-08-2015, 10:34 AM
I told you in the preseason that Daniels didn't have the mentality to be a big time player and you disagreed.

You also told me before the Auburn win that 3 more wins was our best case scenario... I guess I should have started a half dozen threads about it talking shit exactly how you did when we fell apart last year.

Oh -- and link? Because I feel like that's probably bullshit. I don't remember his mentality coming up until he went timid as a mouse after the St Louis drubbing where he dropped 20

Dawg61
02-08-2015, 12:52 PM
Ray's offense made two FGs in the entire 1st half yesterday. Guess we're back to the historically bad stats Ray puts up again. 44 free throws 47 points vs UT and now 2 fgs 9 points in a half vs Arky.

Howboutdemdogs
02-08-2015, 01:53 PM
Ray can only coach X's and O's. He can not shoot the ball for the players. We could not make a basket at all. That is not the coach's fault. I ride the fence about Stans, half wanted him to stay and the other half wanted him to go. This is probably the biggest argument in our family. It gets heated at times with each side showing their passion.

The way I see it, we all bleed maroon, and we need to support the players that represent our University and State. I can only imagine our these players are feeling about their college experience. I have had season tickets for 15 years. Yes, I am frustrated but still support for the young men who suit up and take the court.

CadaverDawg
02-08-2015, 02:32 PM
Ray can only coach X's and O's. He can not shoot the ball for the players. We could not make a basket at all. That is not the coach's fault. I ride the fence about Stans, half wanted him to stay and the other half wanted him to go. This is probably the biggest argument in our family. It gets heated at times with each side showing their passion.

The way I see it, we all bleed maroon, and we need to support the players that represent our University and State. I can only imagine our these players are feeling about their college experience. I have had season tickets for 15 years. Yes, I am frustrated but still support for the young men who suit up and take the court.

Ray recruits the guys that shoot the ball. And Ray is responsible for finding ways for the poor shooters he's got to score points. So he either needs to do better with X's and O's, or start getting better guys to shoot the ball. At the end of the day, it all falls back on the coach. That is just the way it is, and it's the same everywhere. It's not like we can trade another program a good hustler for a great shooter. Ray has to work with what he is bringing in. This is year 3.

I could see the Arkansas loss from a mile away, so I'm not pissed about that. However, scoring 9 in a half is embarrassing. As a fan base our expectations have gotten so low it amazes me, so I fully expect Ray to get another year, and then he'll win just enough with a group of Seniors that he will get another one after that....and then we'll see where we are. Personally, I think we all know what is going to end up happening, but as State fans we like to watch the train wreck even when we know the tracks run out a mile ahead.

Ray shows glimpses of hope every now and then, but if anyone thinks he can get us back to being a regular 20+ win team, you're in for even more disappointment. We'll hang on to him at least a year or two more after this, and then we'll be searching again. But I'll continue to cheer and hope for good outcomes since we won't be proactive.

Coach34
02-08-2015, 02:34 PM
We need to have a good week and respond on Tuesday. Winning cures all

msstate7
02-08-2015, 04:23 PM
Ray recruits the guys that shoot the ball. And Ray is responsible for finding ways for the poor shooters he's got to score points. So he either needs to do better with X's and O's, or start getting better guys to shoot the ball. At the end of the day, it all falls back on the coach. That is just the way it is, and it's the same everywhere. It's not like we can trade another program a good hustler for a great shooter. Ray has to work with what he is bringing in. This is year 3.

I could see the Arkansas loss from a mile away, so I'm not pissed about that. However, scoring 9 in a half is embarrassing. As a fan base our expectations have gotten so low it amazes me, so I fully expect Ray to get another year, and then he'll win just enough with a group of Seniors that he will get another one after that....and then we'll see where we are. Personally, I think we all know what is going to end up happening, but as State fans we like to watch the train wreck even when we know the tracks run out a mile ahead.

Ray shows glimpses of hope every now and then, but if anyone thinks he can get us back to being a regular 20+ win team, you're in for even more disappointment. We'll hang on to him at least a year or two more after this, and then we'll be searching again. But I'll continue to cheer and hope for good outcomes since we won't be proactive.

No excuses for our first half yesterday. I think it's on our team (coaches and players), not just ray. We outscored arkansas by 1 in the 2nd half (HUGE accomplishment**). Did ray completely change his offensive approach? Nah, the players just executed better particularly Gavin ware.

I find it funny that when we win that we win despite ray. Our players overcome their terrible coach according to most here. If we lose, it's all on ray here. So no matter what happens on the court, ray sucks.

maroonmania
02-08-2015, 04:31 PM
No excuses for our first half yesterday. I think it's on our team (coaches and players), not just ray. We outscored arkansas by 1 in the 2nd half (HUGE accomplishment**). Did ray completely change his offensive approach? Nah, the players just executed better particularly Gavin ware.

I find it funny that when we win that we win despite ray. Our players overcome their terrible coach according to most here. If we lose, it's all on ray here. So no matter what happens on the court, ray sucks.

EVERYONE agrees that the first half yesterday was a total cluster and embarrassing. That being said though, the previous 6 games or so we have looked head and shoulders better offensively. We've been in the 70s for most of those games or at least upper 60s. We were a 15 point underdog yesterday for a reason. If we throw up stinkbombs against Bama and Mizzou then I have no problem with being all over Ray again but not for losing a game that was the toughest we had left outside of playing KY. Let's all see what happens Tuesday night.

mcdawg
02-09-2015, 12:12 AM
No we don't. Teams that suck don't beat NCAA Tournament teams like LSU and don't go on the road and beat NCAA bubble teams like Tennessee.

We still aren't a particularly good team, but we've sucked the last 2 years and this we we don't suck. Why is that so hard for the Ray-bashers, who've never, ever given the man a chance, to admit?

Yes we do suck. We beat 2 average teams - then score 9 points in a half. If we didn't suck, then people would go watch them play. Our motion offense with no plays is hard to watch. Even after the LSU win, we didn't look good (dumb mistakes, bad shots) - LSU just played bad.

All I know - people don't care about our men's basketball team any more. I know more people that now go up on Sundays to see the women play. I am now one of them - have no desire to waist my time watching our men.