PDA

View Full Version : Saw Malik's 5 officials are to....

HoopsDawg
02-07-2015, 05:58 PM
UK, Kansas, LSU, NC State, and Ohio State. I think that pretty much means we are out of it.

smootness
02-07-2015, 06:02 PM
We're probably out of it, but I honestly don't think this is the evidence of that. He's been to State so much throughout his entire life; an official visit wouldn't really help him at all. Even if he was considering State, might as well go see another school.

Coach34
02-07-2015, 06:05 PM
We've been out of it. He also eliminated A&M recently. His scholarship offer weighs heavily on his decision

Quaoarsking
02-07-2015, 06:39 PM
I thought this has been known for months that we wouldn't be one of his 5 OVs?

Coach34
02-07-2015, 06:42 PM
yeah- no need to do an official here

Latest rumor is Kansas, LSU, Kentucky...no way in hell Horatio lets him go to Ohio State imo

msstate7
02-07-2015, 06:55 PM
yeah- no need to do an official here

Latest rumor is Kansas, LSU, Kentucky...no way in hell Horatio lets him go to Ohio State imo

I'd have no problem letting my son play for Thad matta. Thad's a great coach

Madisonmd
02-07-2015, 06:56 PM
You better not sleep on Ole Miss, i'm telling you where theres smoke theres usually fire and a lot of smoke coming from their camp! There is some real nasty stuff going on behind the curtains

Coach34
02-07-2015, 06:56 PM
Doesnt want him that far from home- thats one issue with Kansas

Coach34
02-07-2015, 06:57 PM
You better not sleep on Ole Miss, i'm telling you where theres smoke theres usually fire and a lot of smoke coming from their camp! There is some real nasty stuff going on behind the curtains

If the scholarship offer is good enough- I could see it

Madisonmd
02-07-2015, 07:04 PM
Its going to be a damn good scholarship, i promise you! A "full" ride! There are heavy hitters involved

War Machine Dawg
02-07-2015, 07:08 PM
Its going to be a damn good scholarship, i promise you! A "full" ride! There are heavy hitters involved

Methinks you put the quotation marks in the wrong place. More like a full "ride" with TSUN.

HoopsDawg
02-07-2015, 07:16 PM
I think it's UK, Kansas or LSU. UK if Booker goes pro.

HoopsDawg
02-07-2015, 07:18 PM
If the scholarship offer is good enough- I could see it

It's not really about that. He is going to make plenty of money in the NBA, he doesn't need <scholarship> for one year of college. He is looking at this as his one year of college so he wants to be able to make a run at a title. He is also very mindful of his image and his brand. He already thinks like a pro so he wants to go somewhere to further expand his "brand".

msstate7
02-07-2015, 07:19 PM
I think it's UK or LSU. UK if Booker goes pro. LSU if not.

I think it's kansas.

Really I just want it to be kansas. If we're not getting him, I want him out of the sec.

Oh and I think I heard booker's name is showing up in mock drafts now

Coach34
02-07-2015, 07:23 PM
It's not really about that. .

It's 100% about that. From the horse's mouth- "what happens if Malik blows his knee out in college? "

It's all about the scholarship and the surrounding cast is 2nd...that number you mentioned wouldnt get you in the top 5

Liverpooldawg
02-07-2015, 07:39 PM
Someday y'all will all appreciate what "The Recuiter" did here. Until that day comes the recovery of our basketball program can't really begin.

Homedawg
02-07-2015, 07:50 PM
Someday y'all will all appreciate what "The Recuiter" did here. Until that day comes the recovery of our basketball program can't really begin.

Are you starting bs again? Who doesn't appreciate what he did?? No ****ing body! But he needed to go. Period.

smootness
02-07-2015, 07:59 PM

I don't think there is really anybody who doesn't appreciate what he did. He gave us fantastic success, and pretty much everyone loved it. It was hard for me to admit that it was time for him to go, but I got there.

maroonmania
02-07-2015, 08:02 PM

Well I will agree that we may never again recruit at the level that Stans did especially within the state. Too bad he couldn't keep a team in harmony once those players were on the team. Really sad that the one year of college rule wasn't around during the peak of Stansbury. Would have loved to have seen at least one year from Monta Ellis, Jonathan Bender or Travis Outlaw.

Liverpooldawg
02-07-2015, 08:07 PM
Are you starting bs again? Who doesn't appreciate what he did?? No ****ing body! But he needed to go. Period.

10 years

Liverpooldawg
02-07-2015, 08:10 PM
I don't think there is really anybody who doesn't appreciate what he did. He gave us fantastic success, and pretty much everyone loved it. It was hard for me to admit that it was time for him to go, but I got there.

Actually my real opinion might surprise you all. I thought he was at the end of his rope, and had for a while. I DID think we needed to wait a year and said so at the time. That was for long term strategic reasons for the NEXT hire. The way we did it insured a longer recovery. 10 years.

gravedigger
02-07-2015, 08:22 PM

As someone who liked him personally, i still couldnt agree more

HoopsDawg
02-07-2015, 08:28 PM
[QUOTE=Coach34;330468]It's 100% about that. From the horse's mouth- "what happens if Malik blows his knee out in college? "

/QUOTE]

Has he ever heard of insurance?

Coach34
02-07-2015, 08:29 PM
10 years

His last 2 years we missed all postseason and made a 1st round NIT game. And with what he had coming and returning- he damn sure wasnt getting to any postseson had he stayed another year. Ive seen enough of Ware, Sword, Fred, and Gray to know that team would have been shitty. Getting rid of him when we did probably did more to protect his legacy

It wont take us 10 years to get back to that point.

Coach34
02-07-2015, 08:29 PM
[QUOTE=Coach34;330468]It's 100% about that. From the horse's mouth- "what happens if Malik blows his knee out in college? "

/QUOTE]

Has he ever heard of insurance?

I'll pass it along

Homedawg
02-07-2015, 08:39 PM
10 years

10 years?

Liverpooldawg
02-07-2015, 08:41 PM
His last 2 years we missed all postseason and made a 1st round NIT game. And with what he had coming and returning- he damn sure wasnt getting to any postseson had he stayed another year. Ive seen enough of Ware, Sword, Fred, and Gray to know that team would have been shitty. Getting rid of him when we did probably did more to protect his legacy

It wont take us 10 years to get back to that point.

Read my other post. I see nothing to change my 10 year opinion yet. If Ray gets to .500 he has to get another year. nIT or not, see my other post again. Scott caved a year too soon last time.

Coach34
02-07-2015, 08:43 PM
I think he waited a year too long myself. A Real coach with the talent we had would have been great to watch.

War Machine Dawg
02-07-2015, 08:48 PM
10 years?

You'll have to forgive Liverpool. He's gone full retard on this subject. He's repeatedly said he thinks we "committed suicide" by firing Stands a year early. He also claims firing Stands, not the shitty state of the program including a rampant drug problem, was the reason we had to settle for Ray. And he goes even further into full retard territory by claiming we overpaid for Ray. But he completely ignores what everyone with a functioning brain knows: We had a deal in place to hire Kenny Payne, but our administration, be it Keenum or Strick, killed the deal because they don't want to play the AAU game. Responding to him is pointless, as he can't acknowledge the facts and lives in Bizarro World on this issue. Best just to ignore him.

War Machine Dawg
02-07-2015, 08:51 PM
I think he waited a year too long myself. A Real coach with the talent we had would have been great to watch.

I'd say more like 2-3 years too long. A coach who can't make the NCAA Tourney with a team that includes seniors Jarvis Varnado and Barry Stewart, Ray-vern Johnson, Phil Turner, Kodi Augustus, and Dee Bost, who Stands openly called the best PG in his tenure, doesn't deserve to be employed.

Liverpooldawg
02-07-2015, 08:57 PM
You'll have to forgive Liverpool. He's gone full retard on this subject. He's repeatedly said he thinks we "committed suicide" by firing Stands a year early. He also claims firing Stands, not the shitty state of the program including a rampant drug problem, was the reason we had to settle for Ray. And he goes even further into full retard territory by claiming we overpaid for Ray. But he completely ignores what everyone with a functioning brain knows: We had a deal in place to hire Kenny Payne, but our administration, be it Keenum or Strick, killed the deal because they don't want to play the AAU game. Responding to him is pointless, as he can't acknowledge the facts and lives in Bizarro World on this issue. Best just to ignore him.

I think we would have sucked the next year no matter who was coaching. What waiting a year would have accomplished is two things: 1) the fan base would have been pretty much United behind the action 2) you would have avoided the stigma of firing a guy after what most people outside the MSU family considered to be an above what you should expect year. I know #2 is heresy to many of you, but most didn't see our program in the light we did. I totally agree about the state of the program and had reached that conclusion long before most of you did. Stans downfall began with something that you pretty much ALL praised him for years earlier. As I said I had REALLY good sources back then. The sources were dead on, esp one of them.

Coach34
02-07-2015, 08:58 PM

This is certainly true...and to add to it- some former players were questioned about Stands and his scholarship offers.

I think after going thru the hiring process- they figured out how rampant all that shit is in college basketball. I think Ray is an experiment to see if a program can be built without wading thru the cesspool of AAU's underbelly. We still recruit AAU- but we arent getting guys from AAU programs that demand donations to support their AAU program just to recruit their players.

That's my theory and why I think Ray is going to get a 4th yr regardless. Give him every chance to see if he can get it going. I could be off- just a theory based on things I know and things I'm guessing at

Coach34
02-07-2015, 09:04 PM
2) you would have avoided the stigma of firing a guy after what most people outside the MSU family considered to be an above what you should expect year. I know #2 is heresy to many of you, but most didn't see our program in the light we did..

It was more about the Sidney stench and a roster of guys returning like Shaun Smith, Wendell Lewis, Steele, etc. The problems within our program were known outside of Sville- we werent fooling anybody. Coaches talk.

rrog17
02-07-2015, 09:15 PM
Especially since Stands was putting them on scholarship himself!

Liverpooldawg
02-07-2015, 09:18 PM
It was more about the Sidney stench and a roster of guys returning like Shaun Smith, Wendell Lewis, Steele, etc. The problems within our program were known outside of Sville- we werent fooling anybody. Coaches talk.
Coaches do talk, they talk about expectations too. What WE saw as resonable wasn't seen that way outside the family. Combine that with what you are talking about Coach.........and you get the perfect storm. Wait one year and if or more likely when we crashed and burned then we wouldn't have been tarred with the dreaded unrealistic expectations curse along with everything else. The way we handled it made a horrible situation much, much worse.

SPMT
02-07-2015, 11:09 PM
I think we would have sucked the next year no matter who was coaching. What waiting a year would have accomplished is two things: 1) the fan base would have been pretty much United behind the action 2) you would have avoided the stigma of firing a guy after what most people outside the MSU family considered to be an above what you should expect year. I know #2 is heresy to many of you, but most didn't see our program in the light we did. I totally agree about the state of the program and had reached that conclusion long before most of you did. Stans downfall began with something that you pretty much ALL praised him for years earlier. As I said I had REALLY good sources back then. The sources were dead on, esp one of them.

Correct.

Should have given him one more year (post Sidney) OR canned him a year before (Sidney fight year). The decision Scott made to can him when he did was stupid.

SPMT
02-07-2015, 11:21 PM
This is certainly true...and to add to it- some former players were questioned about Stands and his scholarship offers.

I think after going thru the hiring process- they figured out how rampant all that shit is in college basketball. I think Ray is an experiment to see if a program can be built without wading thru the cesspool of AAU's underbelly. We still recruit AAU- but we arent getting guys from AAU programs that demand donations to support their AAU program just to recruit their players.

That's my theory and why I think Ray is going to get a 4th yr regardless. Give him every chance to see if he can get it going. I could be off- just a theory based on things I know and things I'm guessing at

How can our administration not get "it" when all of us who had any connection to basketball get "it"?!

Is our current AD that dumb?!
A f*#kin monkey can tell that the only way to get players is to play some of the game. We shouldn't need 4 years of experimentation to see what is obvious.

If Ray deserves 4 years, Stans should have gotten 1 more to have an opportunity to clean up the mess.

HSVDawg
02-08-2015, 01:25 AM

Columbus is only 2 hours further driving distance than Lexington is from Jackson. Basically 9 hrs vs. 11 hours. Distance from home won't be a factor. Regardless, my money is on UK for his signature.

I seen it dawg
02-08-2015, 10:45 AM
How can our administration not get "it" when all of us who had any connection to basketball get "it"?!

Is our current AD that dumb?!
A f*#kin monkey can tell that the only way to get players is to play some of the game. We shouldn't need 4 years of experimentation to see what is obvious.

If Ray deserves 4 years, Stans should have gotten 1 more to have an opportunity to clean up the mess.

He had plenty of time to clean up his mess.

HoopsDawg
02-08-2015, 11:05 AM
He had plenty of time to clean up his mess.

The Stansbury discussion is a tired topic. It's over.

As for Ray, he better get out there and find a shooter or it's going to be another really bad year. 0-10 from 3 yesterday.

msstate7
02-08-2015, 11:08 AM
The Stansbury discussion is a tired topic. It's over.

As for Ray, he better get out there and find a shooter or it's going to be another really bad year. 0-10 from 3 yesterday.

What kinda shape we in with the juco sg? Is weatherspoon a shooter?

dawgs
02-08-2015, 11:15 AM

I'm not opening Google maps, but kentucky might be further from jackson than kansas.

If he goes to a power program like kentucky or kansas or Ohio st, then so be it. If he's willing to go to a mid tier P5 program like lsu or nc st, it's just gonna piss me off, because we should NEVER EVER lose a 5* legacy recruit to a program like that.

msstate7
02-08-2015, 11:20 AM
I'm not opening Google maps, but kentucky might be further from jackson than kansas.

If he goes to a power program like kentucky or kansas or Ohio st, then so be it. If he's willing to go to a mid tier P5 program like lsu or nc st, it's just gonna piss me off, because we should NEVER EVER lose a 5* legacy recruit to a program like that.

Normally id agree. If lsu gets malik though, that would be 3 5*'s in this class for them. Lsu is recruiting at a high level. I don't think jones is a good coach. He can recruit though

dawgs
02-08-2015, 11:23 AM
Actually my real opinion might surprise you all. I thought he was at the end of his rope, and had for a while. I DID think we needed to wait a year and said so at the time. That was for long term strategic reasons for the NEXT hire. The way we did it insured a longer recovery. 10 years.

It should never take 10 years in basketball if you can halfway recruit. 1 or 2 players can be the difference in missing the entire postseason and being a sweet 16 team. Newman is that kinda player and he's a legacy, thats why its gonna hurt so much that we lose him.

dawgs
02-08-2015, 11:24 AM
Normally id agree. If lsu gets malik though, that would be 3 5*'s in this class for them. Lsu is recruiting at a high level. I don't think jones is a good coach. He can recruit though

Then time for us to start taking note$.

msstate7
02-08-2015, 11:29 AM

I agree.

HoopsDawg
02-08-2015, 12:45 PM
What kinda shape we in with the juco sg? Is weatherspoon a shooter?

weatherspoon has a pretty good shot, but he's more of a slasher, mid range guy. He can play point too.

Bully13
02-08-2015, 01:02 PM
It should never take 10 years in basketball if you can halfway recruit. 1 or 2 players can be the difference in missing the entire postseason and being a sweet 16 team. Newman is that kinda player and he's a legacy, thats why its gonna hurt so much that we lose him.

I remember a time when all MSU had to worry about regarding a 5* MS HS player was whether or not he was going to bolt to the NBA. it's frustrating to think how many of those stans missed out on and what could've been.

now we have the son of a ex MSU hoops player and we are worried about losing him to lsu. sux to high heaven.

maroonmania
02-08-2015, 04:21 PM
I'll be honest, if we truly have not shot at Newman, I really don't want time or board space discussing him. If he's not coming to MSU I really don't care where he goes.

War Machine Dawg
02-08-2015, 07:13 PM

I agree.

#BrackyFife

smootness
02-08-2015, 09:05 PM
now we have the son of a ex MSU hoops player and we are worried about losing him to lsu. sux to high heaven.

Well, Stans did miss on O'Bryant. He also missed on Laquinton Ross if you want to count him.

Homedawg
02-08-2015, 09:18 PM
Well, Stans did miss on O'Bryant. He also missed on Laquinton Ross if you want to count him.

Stan's strength was recruiting. But like u pointed out he missed on plenty. Darius rice, Antonio mcdyess.... His biggest strength recruiting imo, was identifying prospects in the 50-100 range and getting them. From mississippi, tn, ala, didn't matter he could get em. Of course half the time they were gone 2 years later, I.e. Delks, hansbrough,sharpe etc.

HoopsDawg
02-08-2015, 09:24 PM
Stan's strength was recruiting. But like u pointed out he missed on plenty. Darius rice, Antonio mcdyess.... His biggest strength recruiting imo, was identifying prospects in the 50-100 range and getting them. From mississippi, tn, ala, didn't matter he could get em. Of course half the time they were gone 2 years later, I.e. Delks, hansbrough,sharpe etc.

You look at that team that went 8-0 on the road in the SEC and won the overall SEC title. Lawrence Roberts-transfer, Shane Power-transfer, Winsome Frazier-FL, Gary Ervin-NYC, Brandon Vincent-Juco, and Timmy Bowers-MS.

Homedawg
02-08-2015, 09:33 PM
You look at that team that went 8-0 on the road in the SEC and won the overall SEC title. Lawrence Roberts-transfer, Shane Power-transfer, Winsome Frazier-FL, Gary Ervin-NYC, Brandon Vincent-Juco, and Timmy Bowers-MS.

Correct. Confirming my point nicely, well done.

Dawg61
02-09-2015, 12:39 AM
I gotta admit I'm not to happy that Stansbury is about to make the dance this year with aTm and we are nowhere even close. That's just kinda salt in the wound. He's also holding the #2 recruiting class.

msstate7
02-09-2015, 12:45 AM
I gotta admit I'm not to happy that Stansbury is about to make the dance this year with aTm and we are nowhere even close. That's just kinda salt in the wound. He's also holding the #2 recruiting class.

Didn't realize an assistant got credit like that in college basketball.

Dawg61
02-09-2015, 01:05 AM
Didn't realize an assistant got credit like that in college basketball.

What credit? I'm not talking about credit. I'm saying he currently gets to enjoy those two things while we get to muddle in the shit.

shannondawg
02-09-2015, 06:50 AM
Its pitiful now, what is it going to be like when the Stansbury recruits leave?

msstate7
02-09-2015, 07:29 AM
Its pitiful now, what is it going to be like when the Stansbury recruits leave?

Weatherspoon is #81 player in the country according to scout.

Simonds is #81 player in the country according to scout in '16.

Hicks ('16) has 3 sec (us, florida, and bama) offers plus an Fsu offer.

Houston and black are gonna be good players.

Ready will be a senior.

Our talent level is on the rise. I love sword, Thomas, and ware, but none were top 100 players.

If Ray makes it thru next season to get simonds here, our backcourt will be very good. Simonds and weatherspoon are big time players

shannondawg
02-09-2015, 08:12 AM
I'm a bulldog fan, I have been relying on next year all my adult life. So you got me excited,.

msstate7
02-09-2015, 08:33 AM
I'm a bulldog fan, I have been relying on next year all my adult life. So you got me excited,.

Me too haha. Hope it pans out