PDA

View Full Version : Baseball roster update

MsStateBaseball
02-07-2015, 03:41 PM
We have to get to 35 by Friday. Freshman pitcher Andrew Mahoney is likely redshirt so that makes 36. If Mintz makes it (and he has done good lately) then Elliott could redshirt to make room for him.

This is all my guesses of course. I know nothing inside the program.

Mahoney had TJ surgery last year.

HoopsDawg
02-07-2015, 04:05 PM
It seems like every time I read a scrimmage report Holland is playing 2nd base. So I guess Heck is going to be at SS with Holland at 2nd? Also I don't see how we can keep Reynolds off of 3rd. He is playing good defense and hitting the ball very well.

blacklistedbully
02-07-2015, 04:07 PM
It seems like every time I read a scrimmage report Holland is playing 2nd base. So I guess Heck is going to be at SS with Holland at 2nd? Also I don't see how we can keep Reynolds off of 3rd. He is playing good defense and hitting the ball very well.

What about Britton?

HoopsDawg
02-07-2015, 04:10 PM
What about Britton?

Utility player. I could see him getting some starts at 2nd if Heck struggles at the plate and move Holland to SS.

MsStateBaseball
02-07-2015, 04:17 PM
Reynolds is good no doubt but Heck at SS, Holland at 2b and Britton at 3b.

Cohen will switch up during the first couple of weeks but it will go to Britton. Reynolds is definitely the LH hitting DH.

preachermatt83
02-07-2015, 04:59 PM
Britton will be the starting 3rd baseman. End of story.

Todd4State
02-07-2015, 05:03 PM
Cohen loves Britton. The only way Reynolds starts at third on opening day is if Cohen loves Luke more.

Coach34
02-07-2015, 05:06 PM
Utility player. I could see him getting some starts at 2nd if Heck struggles at the plate and move Holland to SS.

Britton is our best fielder and hit .280 the 2nd half of 2014. No way you keep him out of the line-up

HoopsDawg
02-07-2015, 05:52 PM
Britton is our best fielder and hit .280 the 2nd half of 2014. No way you keep him out of the line-up

Reynolds out hit him in the fall and has out hit him in the spring. Does practice count for nothing?

Coach34
02-07-2015, 06:09 PM
Reynolds out hit him in the fall and has out hit him in the spring. Does practice count for nothing?

not really.

In 90 or 91- cant remember- one of my good friends and Chris George were the leading hitters in Fall Ball on the entire team for Polk- they got 0 AB's between them that Spring

If Britton slumps- then you may see him rotate some

Todd4State
02-07-2015, 06:35 PM

Always take those stats with a grain of salt. The regular season stats are the ones that count.

lawdawg
02-08-2015, 01:36 PM
Does practice count for nothing?

#greatweek

Bama_Dawg
02-09-2015, 10:03 AM
Is it Friday yet?!

maroonmania
02-09-2015, 10:52 AM

He certainly has the best arm, don't know that I'm ready to call him our best fielder though.

Smitty
02-09-2015, 11:37 AM
He certainly has the best arm, don't know that I'm ready to call him our best fielder though.

Shiiiiiiiiit

justwin
02-09-2015, 11:40 AM
We need to hope that Reynolds pulls a Detz from a couple years ago, and takes advantage of early playing time at 3B. Basically, force Cohen to keep him in the lineup even though he'll be inclined to play Britton.

justwin
02-09-2015, 11:43 AM

Best fielder.... who led the entire INF last yr in errors and lowest FLD%.

justwin
02-09-2015, 11:52 AM
Always take those stats with a grain of salt. The regular season stats are the ones that count.

So, are you saying that a season BA of .233 is salty???

maroonmania
02-09-2015, 12:23 PM

Yep, last year in fielding % you had Heck (.984), Pirtle (.981), Britton (.949). Now its not broken up by Britton at SS and Britton at 3rd, and I know Britton did much better fielding when moved to 3rd, but the numbers are what they are.

bulldogcountry1
02-09-2015, 01:46 PM
Yep, last year in fielding % you had Heck (.984), Pirtle (.981), Britton (.949). Now its not broken up by Britton at SS and Britton at 3rd, and I know Britton did much better fielding when moved to 3rd, but the numbers are what they are.

Actually, Britton fielded .964 at SS and .944 at 3B last year. I was surprised to see that. I guess my memory is going back to 2 years ago when he made so many errors early at SS. I think he actually got taken out last year due to a terrible offensive start, not defensive. Detz's inabilty to get it done at third opened the door for Britton.

maroonmania
02-09-2015, 01:53 PM
Actually, Britton fielded .964 at SS and .944 at 3B last year. I was surprised to see that. I guess my memory is going back to 2 years ago when he made so many errors early at SS. I think he actually got taken out last year due to a terrible offensive start, not defensive. Detz's inabilty to get it done at third opened the door for Britton.

OK, guess I stand corrected, Britton apparently did not field better when moved to 3rd. He did make some spectacular plays over there though.

bulldogcountry1
02-09-2015, 02:24 PM
I honestly can't remember him him making any errors at 3B. I guess all the good ones overshadow a few bad ones.

That's where fld% can be a little misleading. Not to take anything away from Heck, but he doesn't have the greatest range in the world. The balls he doesn't get to are simply hits, but a guy with better range creates more oportunities to have 2 chances to make an out or an E. This is where Britton should get the benefit of the doubt. He got to a lot of balls that could have easily been hits.

smootness
02-09-2015, 02:30 PM
Britton is our most talented defensive player. So far, though, that has not resulted in him being the best. Big difference. He has to cut down on his errors.

Todd4State
02-09-2015, 05:44 PM
So, are you saying that a season BA of .233 is salty???

No. I'm saying scrimmage stats aren't worth a lot.

Todd4State
02-09-2015, 05:46 PM
Fielding percentage can be misleading. That's why saber metrics people are trying to come up with and refine ways to measure defense better.

smootness
02-09-2015, 06:09 PM
Fielding percentage can be misleading. That's why saber metrics people are trying to come up with and refine ways to measure defense better.

It definitely can, but there's really no way to clean up a sub-.950 fielding percentage. And that backs up what people saw, which is that Britton, while possessing great range and a big arm, struggles to make routine plays.

Coach34
02-09-2015, 06:33 PM

Yes- best fielder. Our SS last year would get to balls and because of his lack of arm couldnt throw people out. Didnt get an error on the play- but its a deficiency. Britton on the other hand would make plays or get his glove on balls people normally couldnt get to. Not to mention he was learning a position he was used to in order to get him on the field.

Britton was our best fielder last year and he will be on the field for us again this year. You have to have him out there