PDA

View Full Version : ESPN on MSU..........

Liverpooldawg
02-06-2015, 01:36 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/97945/mississippi-state-cashes-in-on-wins-on-the-recruiting-trail

GTHOM
02-06-2015, 01:44 PM
I had forgotten about Kendrick Market, our safeties will be much improved next year. Throw in Peters, McLaurin, Bryant, its not so bad after all.

archdog
02-06-2015, 01:47 PM
The rest of ESPN should read this before they start running their mouths. This guy has hit the nail on the head with this article. Mullen is still working his recruiting strategy, gaining notoriety for the players he is recruiting where as years past those players have had a tough time getting the spotlight. Good job Mullen and crew.

War Machine Dawg
02-06-2015, 02:06 PM
I had forgotten about Kendrick Market, our safeties will be much improved next year. Throw in Peters, McLaurin, Bryant, its not so bad after all.

I love Market. He's "my Dawg" on D. But I have to say the same thing about him I said about Hughes and Nickoe: He won't be the same player again. He'll lose at least a step after the Achilles' injury. He's got a high football IQ, so that might offset it some, but the fact is he won't be able to react the way he could before. Seeing where the ball will go, knowing where the ball will go, and being able to get there are separate things. Hughes was a high football IQ guy, too, but he couldn't get himself into position to make plays last season. Personally, I'm glad we're moving Cleveland to safety. I was very impressed with him last season. I'd expect him to start at one spot. Market will begin the season as a starter because Mullen loves his upperclassmen, but I don't think he'll stay there long. Peters, Bryant, or McLaurin will pass him. I hate it, but I don't see how it can play out differently due to Market's injury.

thf24
02-06-2015, 02:10 PM
I love Market. He's "my Dawg" on D. But I have to say the same thing about him I said about Hughes and Nickoe: He won't be the same player again. He'll lose at least a step after the Achilles' injury. He's got a high football IQ, so that might offset it some, but the fact is he won't be able to react the way he could before. Seeing where the ball will go, knowing where the ball will go, and being able to get there are separate things. Hughes was a high football IQ guy, too, but he couldn't get himself into position to make plays last season. Personally, I'm glad we're moving Cleveland to safety. I was very impressed with him last season. I'd expect him to start at one spot. Market will begin the season as a starter because Mullen loves his upperclassmen, but I don't think he'll stay there long. Peters, Bryant, or McLaurin will pass him. I hate it, but I don't see how it can play out differently due to Market's injury.

Agreed. Given that he was a borderline SEC athlete at best even before the injury, I don't think he's going to be able to play if he experiences the same drop-off that Jay and Nickoe did. I hate it too, but we don't need to count on him being able to contribute next year.

maroonmania
02-06-2015, 02:26 PM
Agreed. Given that he was a borderline SEC athlete at best even before the injury, I don't think he's going to be able to play if he experiences the same drop-off that Jay and Nickoe did. I hate it too, but we don't need to count on him being able to contribute next year.

Yep, unfortunately I agree. Market will likely have trouble coming back. Hard to believe that we've lost a starting safety to an achilles injury for 3 out of 4 seasons.

RougeDawg
02-06-2015, 02:58 PM
The sad truth is, a majority of the so called "sports" guys around the nation were fed so much Innacurate BS two years ago about the two SEC Mississippi football programs, false perception has become reality. Perception was created by "recruiting class rankings" instead of "Who actually stuck with each program and which coaches developed players better". Thus we have the current mindset of the two programs. One is thought to be better but has huge question marks surrounding the key position on the field and injuries to two of the other key positions. While another lost s few key pieces, but also has a ton of experienced depth returning that finished a mere 10-3 last year. Not to mention a Heisman contending QB.

False perception has become reality for most of the media members.

Dallas_Dawg
02-06-2015, 03:22 PM
Yep, unfortunately I agree. Market will likely have trouble coming back. Hard to believe that we've lost a starting safety to an achilles injury for 3 out of 4 seasons.

Let's hope Mullen puts the best player on the field there instead of the Senior by default.
I know we all love Market, but if he is a liability after his injury, then we need to relegate him to special teams

MetEdDawg
02-06-2015, 03:22 PM
The sad truth is, a majority of the so called "sports" guys around the nation were fed so much Innacurate BS two years ago about the two SEC Mississippi football programs, false perception has become reality. Perception was created by "recruiting class rankings" instead of "Who actually stuck with each program and which coaches developed players better". Thus we have the current mindset of the two programs. One is thought to be better but has huge question marks surrounding the key position on the field and injuries to two of the other key positions. While another lost s few key pieces, but also has a ton of experienced depth returning that finished a mere 10-3 last year. Not to mention a Heisman contending QB. False perception has become reality for most of the media members.

The thing is that most of the time, they end up being right. There are always a couple of surprises each year but for the most part all the talking heads are able to do just enough research to make a good educated guess.

But look at Jesse Palmer. He's taken heat in the past but he did his research on us and called us being a legit team for this year BEFORE the Egg Bowl last year. We were 5-6 and fresh off an overtime Arkansas win when he told everyone Dak was a dark horse Heisman finalist and we would be a force this year. And he was right because he did his research and knew what kind of team we had coming back.

But how many people do you think did their research in the offseason about a 6-6 regular season Mississippi State team? Probably none. But it was clear by Week 6 that we were one of the best teams in the country. And it surprised everyone but us and a few others in the media because no one can do their homework on everyone.

RougeDawg
02-06-2015, 04:05 PM
The thing is that most of the time, they end up being right. There are always a couple of surprises each year but for the most part all the talking heads are able to do just enough research to make a good educated guess.

But look at Jesse Palmer. He's taken heat in the past but he did his research on us and called us being a legit team for this year BEFORE the Egg Bowl last year. We were 5-6 and fresh off an overtime Arkansas win when he told everyone Dak was a dark horse Heisman finalist and we would be a force this year. And he was right because he did his research and knew what kind of team we had coming back.

But how many people do you think did their research in the offseason about a 6-6 regular season Mississippi State team? Probably none. But it was clear by Week 6 that we were one of the best teams in the country. And it surprised everyone but us and a few others in the media because no one can do their homework on everyone.

My point was that people think we are going to flop next year and have nothing coming back. They think the Bears are loaded for next year but don't have a QB. Perceptions are not accurate for people who think both of these.

War Machine Dawg
02-06-2015, 09:52 PM

No kidding. Kinda makes you want to wonder about our S&C program a little bit, although I'm more inclined to believe it's just a freak event and a run of bad luck. But if we lose another safety to an Achilles this season, we need to look at what we're doing with them in the offseason.

HoopsDawg
02-06-2015, 09:55 PM
Let's hope Mullen puts the best player on the field there instead of the Senior by default.
I know we all love Market, but if he is a liability after his injury, then we need to relegate him to special teams

Absolutely. I think we have 3 SEC capable safeties competing for 2 spots: Peters, Bryant and Coman. That's it. I think Cleveland has to stay at Corner b/c I don't like our depth there. We need 3 capable corners in Redmond, Calhoun and Cleveland.

Floridawg
02-06-2015, 11:40 PM
Achilles injury is for the most part a traumatic "freak event". An athlete can be more likely to have this injury occur due to calf tightness and body mechanics, but I do not think its due to our strength and conditioning program. If that was the case we would be seeing more in other skill position players.

dawgs
02-07-2015, 03:00 AM
guys, market tore his achilles in the egg bowl. a torn achilles takes a solid year to even get close to 100% (and that's 100% post-injury). i'd be completely shocked if market is ready to go at the start of the season, and wouldn't surprise me to see him sit out the entire season.

War Machine Dawg
02-07-2015, 04:14 AM
guys, market tore his achilles in the egg bowl. a torn achilles takes a solid year to even get close to 100% (and that's 100% post-injury). i'd be completely shocked if market is ready to go at the start of the season, and wouldn't surprise me to see him sit out the entire season.

Excellent point. Something I've thought about, too. I'm just hoping he'll recover quickly. But you're absolutely right that it would be no surprise at all if he isn't ready to play at all in 2015. Or not before October, at any rate.

blacklistedbully
02-07-2015, 04:20 AM

Hate he got hurt, but I'd love to have him around an extra year as a high-character, locker-room presence.

Percho
02-07-2015, 09:22 AM

I was telling someone the other day that Nickoe at his worst, almost single handedly won two games for us that started us on our run.