PDA

View Full Version : Returning O-linemen....which have good experience. which will likely start?

blacklistedbully
02-06-2015, 10:48 AM
Here's the list:

Justin Senior
Jamaal Clayborn
Devon Desper
Jocquell Johnson
Justin Malone
Cole Carter
Kent Flowers
Jake Thomas
Rufus Warren
Damien Robinson (assuming he gets cleared for another year)
Martinas Rankin (including due to JC starter status)

Given we are losing Beckwith, Clausell & Day, who plays where, and how much real experience do they actually have? Are we expecting a steep-learning curve for any of our potential starters? Which are already viewed as legit SEC starters, with significant playing time under their belt, and which will have to "show up" over the course of preseason camps and practices?

Coach34
02-06-2015, 10:52 AM
Robinson did get a 6th yr- so he could provide depth

BeardoMSU
02-06-2015, 10:56 AM
I think we'll be fine at OL.

mic
02-06-2015, 11:01 AM
Here's the list:

Justin Senior
Jamaal Clayborn
Devon Desper
Jocquell Johnson
Justin Malone
Cole Carter
Kent Flowers
Jake Thomas
Rufus Warren
Damien Robinson (assuming he gets cleared for another year)
Martinas Rankin (including due to JC starter status)

Given we are losing Beckwith, Clausell & Day, who plays where, and how much real experience do they actually have? Are we expecting a steep-learning curve for any of our potential starters? Which are already viewed as legit SEC starters, with significant playing time under their belt, and which will have to "show up" over the course of preseason camps and practices?

Top to bottom most talent we have had at OL in years....

codeDawg
02-06-2015, 11:01 AM
I think our OL perception gets swayed b/c these guys come in, and we don't hear from them for 2 or 3 years. Then, all of a sudden, they are SEC quality starters. Hev runs a developmental program.

We won't be starting any true freshmen, or RS freshmen this year. That's got to be a good thing on the OL.

Aces High
02-06-2015, 11:11 AM
Amazing beckwith was a walk on and had to be convinced to come back his senior year.

Ive learned to never worry about OL since dan had been here.

Yall lost x, x, and x....your OL will suck next year....is what Ive heard for 6 years. Meanwhile, we continue to plow along at the top of the sec in rushing and offense every year.

The best will be this year. Clausell sucks is all Ive heard for four years. I guarantee the spin will now be "yall lost a 4 year lt starter. Yall will suck there next year"

War Machine Dawg
02-06-2015, 11:13 AM
I think our OL perception gets swayed b/c these guys come in, and we don't hear from them for 2 or 3 years. Then, all of a sudden, they are SEC quality starters. Hev runs a developmental program.

We won't be starting any true freshmen, or RS freshmen this year. That's got to be a good thing on the OL.

Umm.....that's about 98% of OL in CFB. It is BY FAR the toughest position on the field to get early PT. The ones who start as true freshman do so for one of two reasons: a) They are freaks of nature who are physically ready or b) There is literally no other option that's better.

Most of the OL got by in HS because they were the biggest guy on the field on Friday night. They have to develop the strength and footwork necessary to play in the SEC. Ideally, you don't want a kid to start on your OL unless he's a RS Sophomore. The only exceptions should be for a guy like Cam Robinson, who falls into the "a" category I mentioned above.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-06-2015, 11:15 AM
LT - Rankin
LG - Malone
C - Clayborn
RG - Desper
RT - Senior

Only 2 returning starters. This starting 5 is more physically talented than this years but lacking in experience. The good thing is even though they don't have a wealth of experience they are all upperclassmen. None of them will be in awe of the moment bc all minus Rankin have played in SEC games before & Rankin may be the most physically talented of the group. Malone & Senior will be the leaders of the group. We don't need them to be the hell raising in your face guys that Beckwith & Day were. We just need them to lead in their own way. Similiar to Sherrod or a Gabe. I'm not worried about the OL.

notoriousdog
02-06-2015, 11:16 AM
I appreciate Damien giving it a go, but at this point I think it's best for him to move on.

Westdawg
02-06-2015, 11:38 AM
LT
Martinas Rankin
Cole Carter

LG
Justing Malone
Kent Flowers**
Ronald Cochran*
Elgton Jenkins*

C
Jamaal Clayborn**
Justin Malone
Deion Calhoun*

RG
Devon Desper
Jocquell Johnson
Jake Thomas**
Jordan Harris*

RT
Justin Senior
Rufus Warren
Damien Robinson

Carter, Desper, and Senior are all RS juniors. you have two starters out of that group, with Carter really pushing to get on the field. He look really great in the limited time he did play last season.
Kent Flowers, Jamaal Clayborn, and Jake Thomas are all RS sophomores. You have one legit starter right now out of that group, with Kent pushing for time on the field right now, and Jake - against what some have said on boards - has really come along. He hit the freshman wall, but really came on strong last year. I believe he, at the very least, will be SOLID depth at the interior.
From everything i have heard, Elgton Jenkins is growing into a monster. he is gaining good weight, and is really learning the system very well. Deion, from all indications, may end up being the next center in line behind Jamaal. he has the mental fortitude for the position, for sure.
We have not whiffed as bad as many thought we have. True, there are not lots of stars beside those names, but i believe that there is a SOLID stable of OL for us. and this '15 class was much better than the previous ones...the biggest hit for us was not getting Champion on campus this year, but we should have him back in time for the spring '16 semester.

Big4Dawg
02-06-2015, 11:50 AM
Amazing beckwith was a walk on and had to be convinced to come back his senior year.

Yall lost x, x, and x....your OL will suck next year....is what Ive heard for 6 years. Meanwhile, we continue to plow along at the top of the sec in rushing and offense every year.

The best will be this year. Clausell sucks is all Ive heard for four years. I guarantee the spin will now be "yall lost a 4 year lt starter. Yall will suck there next year"

It's like that with our whole team. We heard last year how we didn't have the talent and how we don't have a RB. Now the spin this year will be "you lost all of those great players and lost a really good RB. who is going to run the ball now?"

Those players we lost this year weren't good last year, but now all of a sudden that they are leaving, we lose a lot. Love the way that works.

Sacrifice
02-06-2015, 11:51 AM

Man I was thinking the same thing. Have we ever had a God awful O-Line sine Mullen and Hevesy have been here? If so I can't remember.

BeardoMSU
02-06-2015, 11:52 AM
Then, all of a sudden, they are SEC quality starters. Hev runs a developmental program.

This^^^

Political Hack
02-06-2015, 11:56 AM
what the talking heads have failed to realize is that the talent level has increased every year at state under CDM. They only look at who was lost and the schedule and start yapping. They don't understand that the sophomore we have is going to be better than the Sr we just lost. We will be better at RB, OL, WR, QB, LB, CB, and S next season.

1bigdawg
02-06-2015, 12:12 PM
what the talking heads have failed to realize is that the talent level has increased every year at state under CDM. They only look at who was lost and the schedule and start yapping. They don't understand that the sophomore we have is going to be better than the Sr we just lost. We will be better at RB, OL, WR, QB, LB, CB, and S next season.

I agree with everything except that we will be better at LB. I think we will be great, but we are losing a first round draft pick and Wells, who was also great in coverage. I do look forward to seeing the Browns on the field together. The football IQ between them is amazing.

Bama_Dawg
02-06-2015, 12:12 PM

Until we finish in the top 3 of the SEC West consistently, we will always be thought as a "one hit wonder". I agree with you, but the media has their bias to deal with.

PMDawg
02-06-2015, 12:14 PM

Only reason i worry this year is we lost LT and C. Two most important spots. tough losing both at once, but I think we'll be ok.

1bigdawg
02-06-2015, 12:19 PM
What I would really like is to see one of the younger guys replace a starter. You know you really have depth when you have a former starter on the bench.

smootness
02-06-2015, 12:29 PM
Until we finish in the top 3 of the SEC West consistently, we will always be thought as a "one hit wonder". I agree with you, but the media has their bias to deal with.

Yeah, I don't really blame them.

Luckily, opinions don't ultimately matter. We will have a chance to prove everything we want to prove on the field. Once we do that, who cares.

Madisonmd
02-06-2015, 12:41 PM
Clayborn is a JR, did not RS

msstate7
02-06-2015, 12:52 PM
Only reason i worry this year is we lost LT and C. Two most important spots. tough losing both at once, but I think we'll be ok.

Senior and Malone will be tough to unseat

GTHOM
02-06-2015, 01:30 PM
I appreciate Damien giving it a go, but at this point I think it's best for him to move on.

why??? why would you want to lose a senior who at the worst provides experience and depth? if he comes back as well as he was playing before he got injured he will start at RT

Ifyouonlyknew
02-06-2015, 01:36 PM
why??? why would you want to lose a senior who at the worst provides experience and depth? if he comes back as well as he was playing before he got injured he will start at RT

That's not true. I appreciate Damian for sticking with the university but he wasn't running with the 1's when he got injured. Senior had already moved ahead of him. I appreciate Dan & the coaches talking him up after the injury but he wasn't going to start last year.

GTHOM
02-06-2015, 01:40 PM
That's not true. I appreciate Damian for sticking with the university but he wasn't running with the 1's when he got injured. Senior had already moved ahead of him. I appreciate Dan & the coaches talking him up after the injury but he wasn't going to start last year.

Okay Dan

Coach34
02-06-2015, 02:31 PM

Damien Robinson was never going to start at RT- he was 3rd string when he got hurt. Can he provide depth? Sure

Coach34
02-06-2015, 02:35 PM
Ive posted this before- and will again. Going into Spring, the thinking is:

LT- Rankin, Jenkins, Carter
LG- Malone, Flowers
C- Clayborn, Calhoun, and possibly Warren getting a look
RG- Desper, Thomas
RT- Senior, Warren, Johnson

Rankin or Senior could end up being the LT- but leaning Rankin
Calhoun expected to push Clayborn hard
While we really have 2 starters returning- let's remember that Desper made 2 starts last year as well.
Of those 12 guys- only 2 are not in their 3rd year or more of college

Coach34
02-06-2015, 02:37 PM
Malone could also apply for a 6th season after this year- and that would mean this entire OL could play 2 straight years together. But Malone will most assuredly go pro as a late pick or FA after this Fall.

Johnson85
02-06-2015, 06:43 PM
Man I was thinking the same thing. Have we ever had a God awful O-Line sine Mullen and Hevesy have been here? If so I can't remember.

You can't remember 2011?

Coach34
02-06-2015, 06:59 PM
You can't remember 2011?

We had really bad luck with injuries that year. Losing 1 starter for the year and 2 others for 1/3 of the season

GTHOM
02-06-2015, 07:28 PM
Damien Robinson was never going to start at RT- he was 3rd string when he got hurt. Can he provide depth? Sure

I thought he was practicing pretty well, still my point was you can never have enough depth