PDA

View Full Version : Way too early 2016 recruiting needs...

HoopsCoach21
02-05-2015, 01:24 PM
I think the staff did an unbelievable job, not only getting some great talent in this class, but also really addressing needs at certain positions (safety, JUCO OT, etc.). The only thing I would have loved to have in this class that I don't think we got is an outside receiver with some speed to stretch the field and really take the top off the defense. I really think that's an area the coaches will focus on for 2016.

I know its a long way away but I was just wondering what areas y'all think might need to be addressed the most next year based on who we are going to be graduating.

msstate7
02-05-2015, 01:27 PM
Cb

HoopsDawg
02-05-2015, 01:28 PM
I think the staff did an unbelievable job, not only getting some great talent in this class, but also really addressing needs at certain positions (safety, JUCO OT, etc.). The only thing I would have loved to have in this class that I don't think we got is an outside receiver with some speed to stretch the field and really take the top off the defense. I really think that's an area the coaches will focus on for 2016.

I know its a long way away but I was just wondering what areas y'all think might need to be addressed the most next year based on who we are going to be graduating.

This isn't the NFL. If you are signing players to replace graduating seniors, you are in trouble. We will look to sign the best 22-25 players we can and it will be a balanced class. Having said, I think it will be critical to sign a couple of outside receivers with speed. I don't think there's any need to take more than 1 RB and 1 slot guy. We need a couple of legit corners and have to find a big time tackle prospect to go with Champion. Need to find a blue chip QB too.

thedawg
02-05-2015, 01:29 PM
We need some pass rushers off the edge bad

Bothrops
02-05-2015, 01:33 PM

CB, DT........OL

starkvegasdawg
02-05-2015, 01:37 PM
Kicker

Ifyouonlyknew
02-05-2015, 01:47 PM
1 QB
1 RB
3 WR
0-1 TE
5 OL
5 DL
3 LB
5 DB

Something close to that breakdown.

CadaverDawg
02-05-2015, 01:47 PM
I think we need to try and get as many great Big Uglies as possible every year.

I think we are solid at Safety with Bryant, Peters, McLaurin, and Coman already on board.

Corner is a big time need next year. I like Stamps, and I like Smitherman, but we need more depth at CB for the future.

Linebacker will not be a huge need, but let's get the best one out there like always so we can reload.

I always think we need Defensive Tackles. And I would like to see us get a true elite speed rusher off the edge. Those guys are hard to come by, and I think we got some potential from this class....but grabbing at least one speed DE next year would be great.

I think we need an elite QB. We may very well have the next Dak or better in the Staley, Fitz, Williams, Tiano group. But you never know, and none of those guys were touted as huge QB prospects, so hopefully another year with Dak at the helm will draw some elite QB's to look our way.

I would like to see us get a good speed Running Back. Someone like a Jalen Walton or Mark Dodson type, that we can mix in with our stable of big backs.

We definitely need a few outside WR's. I'd like to see us get another Fred Ross type...6'2 185 type guy, and another DeRunnya type...6'4 220-ish type. (Any way we could trade OM a running back for a receiver next year?*)

I would love for us to spend some time and effort, and get a sure enough good kicker.

And as always, Tight End is so important to our offense, so if there is a good one out there, go after him.

It's awesome to know that none of these positions are so urgent that we will be desperate.. We just need to make sure we maintain good solid depth, and keep trying to upgrade across the board where possible. Mullen and Company have built this program in such the right way, that we no longer have to have an impact freshman....although we'll gladly take one and improve our depth and talent across the board.

HoopsCoach21
02-05-2015, 02:16 PM
This isn't the NFL. If you are signing players to replace graduating seniors, you are in trouble. We will look to sign the best 22-25 players we can and it will be a balanced class. Having said, I think it will be critical to sign a couple of outside receivers with speed. I don't think there's any need to take more than 1 RB and 1 slot guy. We need a couple of legit corners and have to find a big time tackle prospect to go with Champion. Need to find a blue chip QB too.

I agree that we will sign the best guys we can but there are areas of more immediate need every year that must be addressed. If you focus only on signing the best players regardless of position you end up with a roster like OM with 10 four and five star WRs but no depth at oline, linebacker, running back, etc.

smootness
02-05-2015, 02:28 PM
I agree that we will sign the best guys we can but there are areas of more immediate need every year that must be addressed. If you focus only on signing the best players regardless of position you end up with a roster like OM with 10 four and five star WRs but no depth at oline, linebacker, running back, etc.

He said he wanted a balanced class, so I assume he means 'best players at each position we can get'. No one wants us to sign 5 WR and 1 OL.

I don't think we have any glaring future needs going into next year's class. We'll see how some of the young guys look and if we have injuries, transfers, etc, and that will have an effect. I like a lot of the potential we have at each position. So I agree...a good, balanced class a lot like this year's, although we'll have a few less spots next year.

If you told me I could only sign a few elite guys, I would probably choose to have them be a big WR, a RB, and a true pass-rushing DE.

defiantdog
02-05-2015, 02:35 PM
1 QB Jalen Hurts
1 RB Tre Turner - It'll be a battle between us, A&M and probably Auburn if they offer
3 WR Jordan Duncan (I have faith in Hughes), A.J. Brown (even though I think he's looking for an offer outside of the state), Nero Nelson (more of an inside guy)..... I'll be pissed if we don't actively pursue Cooley.
0-1 TE I don't believe we have any big names on the board
5 OL Nalls, Champion, Greg Eiland, Javious Bardney, Scott Lashley and probably a name like Colton Praiter will pop up soon
5 DL Caleb Tillman, Jeffrey Simmons, Kobe Jones, Emmit Gooden, Raekwon Davis (we're still in the hunt here..... this one will come down to NSD next year) and probably Jerome Johnson
3 LB Deshon Cooper and Jeremiah Moon (he's another Hoover kid that Bama wants)
5 DB Quincy Linton, Lashard Durr, Zaire Jones, C.J. Morgan-Walker, Cameron Myers (if he doesn't go in the MLB draft) and probably Nigel Knott

Something close to that breakdown.

Hopefully we pull some big names out of the hat, but next year is going to be a smaller class.

HoopsCoach21
02-05-2015, 02:39 PM
He said he wanted a balanced class, so I assume he means 'best players at each position we can get'. No one wants us to sign 5 WR and 1 OL.

I don't think we have any glaring future needs going into next year's class. We'll see how some of the young guys look and if we have injuries, transfers, etc, and that will have an effect. I like a lot of the potential we have at each position. So I agree...a good, balanced class a lot like this year's, although we'll have a few less spots next year.

If you told me I could only sign a few elite guys, I would probably choose to have them be a big WR, a RB, and a true pass-rushing DE.

I think just reading his first 2 sentences I thought he was implying something else, but I see now that we are mostly in agreement overall.

I'm with you as well on those positions and would like to add an elite QB to your list.

defiantdog
02-05-2015, 02:43 PM
I actually think we're recruiting Nero Nelson as a DB, so take him off the receiver list

smootness
02-05-2015, 02:48 PM
I think just reading his first 2 sentences I thought he was implying something else, but I see now that we are mostly in agreement overall.

I'm with you as well on those positions and would like to add an elite QB to your list.

Yeah, I mean, I would always take an elite QB over something else if they're available, I guess. But I do believe we're in a really good position with the young QBs we have. I don't think this will ever be an issue again as long as Mullen as here.

I would put pretty good money on every starting QB we have under Mullen starting with Dak being better than any QB we had before Mullen came.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-05-2015, 03:14 PM
[QUOTE=defiantdog;329677]Hopefully we pull some big names out of the hat, but next year is going to be a smaller class.[/QUOT

QB - I agree Hurts is my top guy
RB - We'll stay on Turner but it's hard not impossible but hard to get a guy back after he decommits
WR - Crowell Brown & Jeriko Morris are my top 3 guys at WR. You take Nero & figure out where he fits when he gets to campus
TE - Cooley is a TE all the way hes around 240-245lbs now. We'll see if he wavers from OM
OL - Nalls, Champion, Lashley are all safe bets. I'd grab Bardney since he & Champion are very close. I don't want Eiland. He's not a SEC OT. He can be a good OG but he will never play OT & he's in love with OM.
DL - Tillman, Pope, Jones, Simmons, Dickens, & we'll prolly make room for 1 more. I'll believe it when I see it on Gooden. I don't think Johnson will get an offer & I like Davis a lot more at OT than DT he's just too tall.
LB - Cooper moved to DE the last part of the year at Co-Lin won't be a LB. I'm not sure he stays in the class just yet. Moon will get that Bama offer eventually & jump on it. I like Spencer Perry, Jamal Couch, & there will be other names that pop up.
DB - Lenton, Jones, Durr, & Morgan-Walker is a great 4 to start. I could see 1 more or 2 more if it's the right 2. Knott is definitely highest on the board but he can't wait forever. Say Greedy Williams & Chance Sylvie decide they want to play with their good friends Moton & Morgan-Walker. I take both & tell Knott I'm sorry Inn's full.

BankerDog
02-05-2015, 03:42 PM
I like Knott and his teammate Taury Dixon, who's uncle is Q. Culberson. Knott's dad played at OM under Hughes so that will be something to keep an eye on.

Lashley, from what I've been told, is Johnnie Cook's nephew so another legacy guy for us. But he is down right nasty.

Dickens is a physical right now. He could blow up like Chris Jones.

defiantdog
02-05-2015, 04:07 PM
[QUOTE=defiantdog;329677]Hopefully we pull some big names out of the hat, but next year is going to be a smaller class.[/QUOT

QB - I agree Hurts is my top guy
RB - We'll stay on Turner but it's hard not impossible but hard to get a guy back after he decommits
WR - Crowell Brown & Jeriko Morris are my top 3 guys at WR. You take Nero & figure out where he fits when he gets to campus
TE - Cooley is a TE all the way hes around 240-245lbs now. We'll see if he wavers from OM
OL - Nalls, Champion, Lashley are all safe bets. I'd grab Bardney since he & Champion are very close. I don't want Eiland. He's not a SEC OT. He can be a good OG but he will never play OT & he's in love with OM.
DL - Tillman, Pope, Jones, Simmons, Dickens, & we'll prolly make room for 1 more. I'll believe it when I see it on Gooden. I don't think Johnson will get an offer & I like Davis a lot more at OT than DT he's just too tall.
LB - Cooper moved to DE the last part of the year at Co-Lin won't be a LB. I'm not sure he stays in the class just yet. Moon will get that Bama offer eventually & jump on it. I like Spencer Perry, Jamal Couch, & there will be other names that pop up.
DB - Lenton, Jones, Durr, & Morgan-Walker is a great 4 to start. I could see 1 more or 2 more if it's the right 2. Knott is definitely highest on the board but he can't wait forever. Say Greedy Williams & Chance Sylvie decide they want to play with their good friends Moton & Morgan-Walker. I take both & tell Knott I'm sorry Inn's full.

I definitely see Sylvie jumping in but I think Williams will be another CB to fall into LSU. I think we'll get our fair share of DBs in the 2016 class.

Turner was the only running back I could see us going after in the 2016 class. I think we make a strong push for a few 2017 guys, like Cam Akers.

I agree on Eilan, he seems to be a Damien Robinson type of player.

Raekwon Davis is a monster on the DL. It would suck to see him flip sides. He destroyed everyone he lined up against at BDC. But again, he'd probably do the same at OT.

Spencer Perry is Auburn bound and Jamal Couch would be the get of the class if we could somehow slip him away from Bama.

hailmari
02-05-2015, 04:10 PM
Knott's speed is enough reason to take him.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-05-2015, 04:11 PM
I like Knott and his teammate Taury Dixon, who's uncle is Q. Culberson. Knott's dad played at OM under Hughes so that will be something to keep an eye on.

Lashley, from what I've been told, is Johnnie Cook's nephew so another legacy guy for us. But he is down right nasty.

Dickens is a physical right now. He could blow up like Chris Jones.

Yep I like Taury but he's awfully small compared to Knott & Williams. Lashley I don't see going anywhere but MSU. He is what the recruiting services make Eiland out to be. A freak of an athlete at 6"6' 290lbs & can move & is mean. He needs coaching bc this past year was his 1st year playing OL & West Point rarely throws. Give him to Hev & in 2 or 3 years you have an All SEC LT & I'm not exaggerating. Dickens I love he's a speed demon off the edge. 6"4' 225 who will prolly play at 6"4'-6"5' 260-265lbs after a year in the weight room. I could see him making a quick decision the next time he steps on campus. I think it's a matter of when not if with both Dickens & Lashley. Both of those guys have a good chance at being 4* kids if they camp a lot. Of course if they commit to MSU early & shut it down they'll be 2 kids we're talking about this time next year in our sleeper list.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-05-2015, 04:16 PM
[QUOTE=Ifyouonlyknew;329699]

I definitely see Sylvie jumping in but I think Williams will be another CB to fall into LSU. I think we'll get our fair share of DBs in the 2016 class.

Turner was the only running back I could see us going after in the 2016 class. I think we make a strong push for a few 2017 guys, like Cam Akers.

I agree on Eilan, he seems to be a Damien Robinson type of player.

Raekwon Davis is a monster on the DL. It would suck to see him flip sides. He destroyed everyone he lined up against at BDC. But again, he'd probably do the same at OT.

Spencer Perry is Auburn bound and Jamal Couch would be the get of the class if we could somehow slip him away from Bama.

Yea it's hard for me to see Greedy ending up anywhere but LSU. He does really like MSU tho. Another RB isn't a need but if the right 1 wanted to come we'd take him. Kylin Hill will be the RB in the 2017 class. I love Akers but I think he eventually moves to defense in college. Yea I saw Davis be a monster at Big Dawg. Only Daron Payne were comparable. That dominance didn't translate to Friday night tho. He was solid but not the bull he was at camp & I just think it's bc OL can go low at his knees during games. An Auburn offer would be tough for Perry to turndown but I don't think it's a done deal. He's really fallen in love with MSU. Couch offer from Bama is a camp offer as of now & we'll see how he does there.

Lumpy Chucklelips
02-05-2015, 04:28 PM
I read somewhere where Louisiana is loaded with talent next year. Might see us picking up some guys like we did in Alabama this year.

defiantdog
02-05-2015, 04:32 PM
Yep I like Taury but he's awfully small compared to Knott & Williams. Lashley I don't see going anywhere but MSU. He is what the recruiting services make Eiland out to be. A freak of an athlete at 6"6' 290lbs & can move & is mean. He needs coaching bc this past year was his 1st year playing OL & West Point rarely throws. Give him to Hev & in 2 or 3 years you have an All SEC LT & I'm not exaggerating. Dickens I love he's a speed demon off the edge. 6"4' 225 who will prolly play at 6"4'-6"5' 260-265lbs after a year in the weight room. I could see him making a quick decision the next time he steps on campus. I think it's a matter of when not if with both Dickens & Lashley. Both of those guys have a good chance at being 4* kids if they camp a lot. Of course if they commit to MSU early & shut it down they'll be 2 kids we're talking about this time next year in our sleeper list.

I wish we could recruit in the state of Georgia better. UGA loses top recruits out of state every year. None of those recruits really care about staying close to home..... except for Helms. I know we went after Kentavious Thomas until grades became an issue, but for some reason we don't really go after Jawon Pass or Tre Lamar.

defiantdog
02-05-2015, 04:35 PM
I read somewhere where Louisiana is loaded with talent next year. Might see us picking up some guys like we did in Alabama this year.

They're loaded every year. And we do recruit out of Louisiana. But so does Bama, Auburn, UGA, A&M, UT, etc. Williams and Turner seem to be our best shot for 2016. I think the ship on Guidry has shipped..... LSU bound.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-05-2015, 04:43 PM
I wish we could recruit in the state of Georgia better. UGA loses top recruits out of state every year. None of those recruits really care about staying close to home..... except for Helms. I know we went after Kentavious Thomas until grades became an issue, but for some reason we don't really go after Jawon Pass or Tre Lamar.

I agree on Georgia but we've done so well in Louisiana & Alabama really hasn't been a need. We are going after Lamar hard currently in his top 5. He's been to a game & plans on making a visit this spring.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-05-2015, 04:48 PM
They're loaded every year. And we do recruit out of Louisiana. But so does Bama, Auburn, UGA, A&M, UT, etc. Williams and Turner seem to be our best shot for 2016. I think the ship on Guidry has shipped..... LSU bound.

Kids like Keondre Wudtee, Malik Clark, Marquez Stevenson, John Williams, Colton Prater, Tyrus Butler, Caleb Roddy, Chance Sylvie, etc are all Louisiana guys who are SEC good but prolly won't get LSU offers that we've made a living off of. I really like Wudtee. He would be my next QB option after Hurts. Clark I'd love to have on the OL.

defiantdog
02-05-2015, 04:52 PM
I agree on Georgia but we've done so well in Louisiana & Alabama really hasn't been a need. We are going after Lamar hard currently in his top 5. He's been to a game & plans on making a visit this spring.

That's good to hear about Lamar. You just rarely hear about him being recruited by us. The guy is already McKinney's size and he's only in high school. He'd be a huge pull for us. I think Auburn is trying to recruit him for a DL position, while we're recruiting him as an ILB. So that might help us.

smootness
02-05-2015, 04:56 PM
Lamar's a beast, I'm glad we're in on him. I helped out with a junior all-star game here in GA a month ago, and he is gigantic. Also seemed like a really good, quiet kid.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-05-2015, 05:02 PM
That's good to hear about Lamar. You just rarely hear about him being recruited by us. The guy is already McKinney's size and he's only in high school. He'd be a huge pull for us. I think Auburn is trying to recruit him for a DL position, while we're recruiting him as an ILB. So that might help us.

Yea I think part of the reason you don't hear much on us is bc who is recruiting him. Top 5 is Bama, Clemson, MSU, TN, & South Carolina. What school doesn't belong there as far as perception in recruiting?

HancockCountyDog
02-05-2015, 05:19 PM
I thought we like Eiland - have we not offered? I thought we had. I have tried to stay away from 2016 recruiting, but its becoming earlier and earlier.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-05-2015, 05:32 PM
Yea we've offered. We could take him but I wouldn't be excited. I think that 1 is all but over to OM tho.

defiantdog
02-05-2015, 05:44 PM
What's sad is that we'll probably be ranked between 25th and 30th nationally in the 2016 recruiting rankings. Mainly because we'll only sign around 20 players, and more than half of them will be either OL, DL or CBs. I don't see us really going after too many skill positions because of the youth we already have at those positions.

msstate7
02-05-2015, 05:45 PM
Will cam Myers help us with Jordan Duncan?

HancockCountyDog
02-05-2015, 05:51 PM
Will cam Myers help us with Jordan Duncan?

Yes - but not as much as Coach Hughes. I really like our chances with Duncan.

msstate7
02-05-2015, 05:53 PM
Yes - but not as much as Coach Hughes. I really like our chances with Duncan.

If we can get Duncan and convince aj brown to stay at home, I'll be extremely happy

defiantdog
02-05-2015, 06:23 PM
If we can get Duncan and convince aj brown to stay at home, I'll be extremely happy

Brown has a chance to be drafted high in the MLB draft.

ShotgunDawg
02-05-2015, 06:52 PM
Of note...

There is a rumor on the lake this afternoon that both parents of 5* Buford, Georgia D-lineman Derrick Brown attended MSU and his grandparents still live in Starkville.

smootness
02-05-2015, 06:56 PM
Of note...

There is a rumor on the lake this afternoon that both parents of 5* Buford, Georgia D-lineman Derrick Brown attended MSU and his grandparents still live in Starkville.

Um....

If this is true, we need to be ALL over that. At the same all-star game, amid essentially all of the top players in the state, he was easily the best. Completely dominated the game.

ETA: This was confirmed in an AJC article 3 days ago. Get on this one NOW, coaches. Let's pull an Ole Miss here.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-05-2015, 07:03 PM
The coaches know & have tried to play up this angle A LOT. Don't see it working. He's grown up going to Athens if anybody gets him away from UGA it will be Bama.

smootness
02-05-2015, 07:06 PM
The coaches know & have tried to play up this angle A LOT. Don't see it working. He's grown up going to Athens if anybody gets him away from UGA it will be Bama.

Good info, thanks.

I hope they stay on it, though. Ole Miss didn't look to have a chance with Nkemdiche for a while, either. If we have another year like last year, you never know. You have to take as good a shot as you can when you have an in like that.

He's just too good not to give it everything you have, which I trust our coaches have and will do.